Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GP NJ meta discussion

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

Re: GP NJ meta discussion

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    The issue with Pox isn't that the meta needs to be the right temp. It's that Pox is a narrow and inconsistent pile of shit and without a viable gameplan or reach. Slapping in a few copies of Vindicate and Zealous Persecution does nothing to change this.
    Tell us how you really feel :)
    A book about the dark side of Legacy: "Magic: The Addiction" // Conversations with Magic players: "Humans of Magic"

Can we shift the discussion away from Pox, and back to NJ Meta? We all know a deck like pox can't win a 15 round event ;)

Had the tournament been last week, i think UR Delver would have dominated. However, I think a lot of people are hopping on board to the midrange control build rudy brikzsa piloted to a first place finish, and are cooling off UR delver (the obvious boogeyman in the game right now).

EDIT: If i was competent with storm or reanimator, i would play those decks in a heartbeat. miracles as always seems like a solid choice. BUG seems to be a bad call since there is likely to be a lot of budget burn and psuedo burn (UR Delver). I actually somewhat expect someone to take the tourney by storm with a classic rug delver list. stifle and daze and wasteland, oh my!

Quote Originally Posted by rlesko View Post
    Can we shift the discussion away from Pox, and back to NJ Meta? We all know a deck like pox can't win a 15 round event ;)

Had the tournament been last week, i think UR Delver would have dominated. However, I think a lot of people are hopping on board to the midrange control build rudy brikzsa piloted to a first place finish, and are cooling off UR delver (the obvious boogeyman in the game right now).

EDIT: If i was competent with storm or reanimator, i would play those decks in a heartbeat. miracles as always seems like a solid choice. BUG seems to be a bad call since there is likely to be a lot of budget burn and psuedo burn (UR Delver). I actually somewhat expect someone to take the tourney by storm with a classic rug delver list. stifle and daze and wasteland, oh my!
    the lesson from rudy brikzsa is that lifegain works against UR Delver. Skull, firewalker, and baneslayer, that's my take-away. Also, some people play UR Delver for budget reasons. If you have FoW, Volcs, and few fetches, you play UR Delvers. If you only have fetches, you play Burn. In a field of thousands, that's something for you to take into account. You can't just sleeve up storm or miracles unless you've put your time/repetitions into it.

Jul 2008
    NJ USA

Quote Originally Posted by twndomn View Post
    the lesson from rudy brikzsa is that lifegain works against UR Delver. Skull, firewalker, and baneslayer, that's my take-away. Also, some people play UR Delver for budget reasons. If you have FoW, Volcs, and few fetches, you play UR Delvers. If you only have fetches, you play Burn. In a field of thousands, that's something for you to take into account. You can't just sleeve up storm or miracles unless you've put your time/repetitions into it.
    Most of the ur delver deck is modern legal. So it would make sense if someone who only recently got into Modern started asking around to borrow a few volcs and FoWs. Boom, about $100 in cards, borrow some volcs and FoWs, and then you have a shot of q'ing for the PT in a Legacy GP

Site Contributor

Jul 2009
    Philadelphia, PA

Shouldn't rule out people using burn or insert linear deck of choice because it’s straightforward to play and they don’t play legacy often. Not everyone makes decisions because of budget reasons.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Moosedog View Post
    Shouldn't rule out people using burn or insert linear deck of choice because it’s straightforward to play and they don’t play legacy often. Not everyone makes decisions because of budget reasons.
    For the Northwest, that linear non-Burn deck is commonly Reanimator. Over the past year, I've played against a lot of new Legacy players on that deck. The deck is straightforward and the power level is extremely high.

My guess would be that the most popular/populous deck at this GP will be UR Delver, and if I was going, I would make absolutely sure I had a good matchup against it.

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    ... I've played chalice decks almost exclusively at Legacy events and basked in the glow of a few 5-0, 4-0, 6-1, starts ... eventually you'll lose the roll mull to 6 and be staring down some simian grunts Delver. That Delver will then naturally flip, he'll Daze all the wrong spells but it won't matter because all you are drawing are Ancient Tombs and you'll die.
    I love this quote so much. As a Chalice player in Legacy this is just the problem with the strategy in a nutshell.

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    I love this quote so much. As a Chalice player in Legacy this is just the problem with the strategy in a nutshell.
    Well never 2 times without a 3 time like we say in France, I'll answer to you here as well. You will probably appreciate this video from about 28:12 to 29:00.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C72MNooozw#t=28m12s
    I am not sure if that's necessary to say it but that saying made me think a lot about sylvan plug since consistency is the advantage green chalice gets.
    CLICK HERE FOR THE RULES OF A VERY FUN MULTIPLAYER CASUAL FORMAT
    You very likely can build it without spending any money, just out of what you already have.

An example with my (very large) list in a visual form

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I was quite surprised to see 0 Liliana of the Veil in the top 16. Effect of the new Delve meta or just happenstance?
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I was quite surprised to see 0 Liliana of the Veil in the top 16. Effect of the new Delve meta or just happenstance?
    Liliana is shit against Pyromancer and hasty swiftspears
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    Liliana is shit against Pyromancer and hasty swiftspears
    And you need to play blue for brainstorm and red for pyroblast so there isn't a lot of room for BB.

No main list discard in the top 8 except for the 4 Duress in ANT. BUG was targeted by Treasure Cruise just as surely as RUG Canadian was and TA died in the process.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Quote Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
    No main list discard in the top 8 except for the 4 Duress in ANT. BUG was targeted by Treasure Cruise just as surely as RUG Canadian was and TA died in the process.
    Targeted discard is not very good at all when 70%+ of the format is playing brainstorm.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by ReAnimator View Post
    Targeted discard is not very good at all when 70%+ of the format is playing brainstorm.
    Doesn't stop people for Hymn to Touraching me out of the event, or bringing in pithing needle for LED.

Discard is super awkward right now against the speed of UR delver and sensei's divining top.
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

On a different note, what are we to make of this: Grixis Control? Odd to say the least that got to ~13-2. I guess he just outplayed people?

On a different note, what are we to make of this: Grixis Control? Odd to say the least that got to ~13-2. I guess he just outplayed people?
    Good player, blue shell, list nobody could see coming or understand how to play well against in the limited opportunity they had to do so.

Cabal Therapy with a Young Pyromancer in play must have just wrecked people in the mid-game. Particularly after a Gitaxian Probe.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Why odd? List looks pretty rad to me, although on paper I feel like it wants a couple Dig Through Time, maybe over the maindeck spellbong or Sudden Demise.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    Why odd? List looks pretty rad to me, although on paper I feel like it wants a couple Dig Through Time, maybe over the maindeck spellbong or Sudden Demise.
    Looks short on win conditions to me, in the sense of going over the top of things. Also, Dack has yet to really thrill me in Legacy, although, with the amount of Stoneforges running around he was probably pretty good. Just not something I was expecting to see get 13 wins. Of course, BTM10's point is probably about right, with YP and cantrips you might not need much else to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    Doesn't stop people for Hymn to Touraching me out of the event, or bringing in pithing needle for LED..
    umm...

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Don't underestimate Dack in a format with SFM, or with notion thief. With notion thief it's +2 is hymn + ancestral every turn lol.

Thread Information