Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GP NJ meta discussion

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

GP NJ meta discussion

What kind of meta do you expect for the GP next week? And what deck do you see well-positioned in that kind of meta?

Tons of random crap aside, I would expect lots of Burn, due it being cheap and requiring little to no format knowledge.

Delver is probaby coming at full force, with UR at the helmet and UWR to counter the mass of UR Delver decks. Also some RUG and BUG variants.

Miracles is likely another big player. While I don't see Elves being well-positioned in that kind of meta, I assume that quite a few people are still going to play it.

D&T might be well-positioned, but I don't think that it's going to be a big part of the meta compared to the other decks, as far as deck numbers are concerned.

Aside from that, Dredge and combo (S&T, Storm, Reanimator, etc.) are going to show up, but not in big numbers.

Re: GP NJ meta discussion

1. Number of players will be pretty high, in the thousands.
    2. There will be some number of European Legacy players who're willing to travel, those are the skillful ones who aim for Top 8. Miracles seem to be more popular there than in the US.
    3. People in the US seem to be strongly favor Delver, along with any decks that can jam Treasure Cruise into it.

#'s of entries:

1. UR Delver (cheapish and hot)
    2. Elves (cheapish and very consistent)
    3. Miracles (no comment)
    ------------------------------------
    Stoneblade
    UWR Delver
    BUG Delver
    Burn
    Dredge
    ------------------------------------
    Everything else

Not sure if RUG Delver will sneak up into the group of 5 and make it 6.

Jul 2013
    Texas

High penetration: URx Delver. Burn. Elves. D&T.
    Moderately high penetration: BUG strategies (Delver or otherwise). UWx Stoneblade. Sneak & Show. Dredge.
    Enough that you'll notice: Storm. Jund. Maverick.
    More than you'd expect: Enchantress.
    Less than you'd expect: Miracles.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

A good place to start looking is the top 16 deck lists from the SCG Open in Edison, New Jersey at the end of September. This is the event where Huang introduced the world to UR Delver by winning the tournament with it. The other big decks in the top 16 were 3 Miracles, 3 Elves, 2 Team America and 2 Dredge. UR has exploded since then and will be in DTB the next time that thread is updated. So come packing an answer to Delver and Graveyards, but have a plan against Miracles.

Jul 2008
    NJ USA

A lot locals are asking to borrow burn related cards and Volcanic Islands. LOTS and LOTS of Volcanic Islands apparently.

Take that for what you will.

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

Quote Originally Posted by mishima_kazuya View Post
    A lot locals are asking to borrow burn related cards and Volcanic Islands. LOTS and LOTS of Volcanic Islands apparently.

Take that for what you will.
    Same here in upstate NY. Its like 25% UR delver and 10% Burn. If you have a bad matchup against these decks, you need to play something else. You will not get far with something like Team america without some major modification.

I also expect a lot of decks that are cheap or easy to make/port. SCG is making this event really appealing to modern/standard players and legacy casuals with the 70$+ of stuff you get just from entering. At least in the early rounds, expect people playing borrowed decks, UR delver with shock lands, Manaless dredge, affinity, FoW/waste-less Merfolk and lots of burn.

Thinking about it, with countermagic and discard at a low, and Red blasts at a high I anticipate fast blackbased combo decks like TES, ANT, Tin fins or Reanimtor being VERY well positioned. Decks with stoneforge mystic also seem to be in a good spot.

Feb 2014
    North Carolina, USA

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    More than you'd expect: Enchantress.
    Less than you'd expect: Miracles.
    You have my attention. Curious how Solidarity has a place in this meta. And Miracles looks pretty good when you consider cards like Dig Through Time. Go on...
    GamErgonomics: The Science of Gaming Performance
    Life Coaching for Gamers
    Personal Gaming Blog UPDATED 1/13
    "Everyone is a hero. Even if you've only saved yourself."

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
    Same here in upstate NY. Its like 25% UR delver and 10% Burn. If you have a bad matchup against these decks, you need to play something else. You will not get far with something like Team america without some major modification.

I also expect a lot of decks that are cheap or easy to make/port. SCG is making this event really appealing to modern/standard players and legacy casuals with the 70$+ of stuff you get just from entering. At least in the early rounds, expect people playing borrowed decks, UR delver with shock lands, Manaless dredge, affinity, FoW/waste-less Merfolk and lots of burn.

Thinking about it, with countermagic and discard at a low, and Red blasts at a high I anticipate fast blackbased combo decks like TES, ANT, Tin fins or Reanimtor being VERY well positioned. Decks with stoneforge mystic also seem to be in a good spot.
    I totally forgot about Affinity and UR Burn with Shocks. That are both decent possibilities to encounter early.

Quote Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
    This makes me want to sleeve up Belcher. Typically a horrible choice in the NE due to soooo much blue, it feels like a deck that could troll a counterless meta easily.

Jul 2013
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by BBG|Scott-Spain View Post
    You have my attention. Curious how Solidarity has a place in this meta. And Miracles looks pretty good when you consider cards like Dig Through Time. Go on...
    I didn't say Miracles would be absent, just less than you'd think. I've seen a drop off in the amount of Miracles at my store recently, and I live in the NYC/NJ area. I think there are a couple reasons:

1) People like casting Treasure Cruise and if you have Miracles you have most of the cards for a TC deck
    2) Miracles has a sort of meh burn matchup. UR delver and burn are omnipresent and UR delver is basically a burn deck that can counter Counterbalance
    3) Miracles means long rounds and with a 3k person GP that is already going to be heavily delayed you probably don't want to go to time a lot

As for enchantress, I feel like no one ever expects it so there's generally more than you'd expect. On top of that:

1) Enchantress has dedicated players who come out of the woodwork for this kind of event
    2) It can play maindeck RIP and even Energy Field if you want making it pretty good against the expected field

I think there will be far more Miracles than Enchantress, but not as much Miracles as you would think.

Jul 2013
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    I totally forgot about Affinity and UR Burn with Shocks. That are both decent possibilities to encounter early.
    I should've mentioned Affinity. That deck is going to be a real thing in the early rounds especially. Get your Powder Kegs ready...

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post
    This makes me want to sleeve up Belcher. Typically a horrible choice in the NE due to soooo much blue, it feels like a deck that could troll a counterless meta easily.
    Force of Will will be out in full force...the number of stifles and spell pierces will be down which is why combos with protection will be good.

I'm anticipating a lot of burn and UR delver. I will be on enchantress. As some people already said, some of us will play this deck whenever we can.

Cavern on Soldier
    Nov 2013
    Woodstock, Georgia, America

Chalice of the Void.
    Soldier Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Isn't the reward for an IQ the right to play standard? I'd rather get rickets.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Chalice of the Void.
    If only such decks could be consistent.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post
    Well, there will be a TON for FoW. But the delver decks have really trimmed back on discard, pierce and stifle. Its really just Daze, FoW, and Red blasts for interaction now. Any black-based combo deck should wreck them. A fast clock is really all UR delver has going for it against combo. A FoW will hardly even slow down something like ANT or Reanimtor.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    I distinctly remember at GP DC last year, doing some scouting in the first 2 rounds because of byes and seeing Burn, Affinity, Dredge and merfolk (partially because TNN just came out) together were AT LEAST 40% of the decks I saw. Because of the side events and "GP swag", GPs attract a LOT more casuals, legacy novices, and cross-format players than any SCG open or local high prized legacy event will.

If I make it I'm Chalicing, the internet is instructing burn players to play Smelt.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    the internet is instructing burn players to play Smelt.
    Well, I certainly dont see anything wrong with this.

Quote Originally Posted by WorstBandNameEver View Post
    I'm anticipating a lot of burn and UR delver. I will be on enchantress. As some people already said, some of us will play this deck whenever we can.
    Energy Field and Rest in Peace is going to be game over for a lot of people in the meta that is shaping up.

I'm also thinking that Bw Pox could be a great meta choice. Just splash white for Vindicate and Zealous Persecution in the SB and have at people.

Thread Information