Thread: [Podcast] Everyday Eternal 32: Preparing for Grand Prix: New Jersey

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

[Podcast] Everyday Eternal 32: Preparing for Grand Prix: New Jersey

With Grand Prix: New Jersey on the horizon, episode 32 of Everyday Eternal finds Sam Craven (that's me!) and Matt Pavlic (sdematt) discussing the top Legacy decks from both Legacy Champs and the StarCityGames Legacy Open in Minneapolis. Included in the conversation is how to handle these decks, what metagame changes these decks could bring, and how to deal with those change.

Timestamps:

0:00 Intro, and the top decks from Eternal Weekend
    0:02:30 UR Delver is really coming into its own
    0:05:59 UB Tezzerator
    030 Jund
    0:21:00 Surprises in the Top 32: Increased presence of combo, strength of Tabernacle, and fewer StoneBlade decks than expected
    0:30:32 Dimir Charm in UBx decks
    0:33:55 Punishing Maverick with Domri Rade and Voice of Resurgence
    0:39:48 Common themes and how to fight them: low toughness, high converted mana costs on key cards, and greedy manabases
    0:47:46 SCG: Minneapolis full of interesting decks, and Slivers
    0:54:27 UR Painter and “Rest in Pieces”
    1:00:52 Dragon Stompy
    1:05:34 Plays of the week
    1:09:01 GP: New Jersey information and outro

Links:
    Legacy Champs top 32 decks
    SCG: Minneapolis top 16 decks

We also have a large number of suggested decks but that would take up a ton of space, so check the Eternal Central link for those!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Re: [Podcast] Everyday Eternal 32: Preparing for Grand Prix: New Jersey

Thanks for this. I haven't gotten time to listen to it yet, but perusing the deck lists, oh, how I want to run that White Stax list. That was one of the first real Legacy decks I played. Do you discuss it in this episode? I sure hope so. Nothing is more pleasing than a good Armageddon (or Ravages of War). Looking at the list though, it sure is tempting to get a Moat in here along with Humility and Elspeth. Maybe that's just too much though...
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Oops, the Tezzerator list should be:

4 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
    4 Force of Will
    3 Transmute Artifact
    1 The Abyss
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Baleful Strix
    2 Academy Ruins
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Thopter Foundry
    1 Sword of the Meek
    4 Dimir Signet
    3 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Flooded Strand
    2 Island
    1 Swamp
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    3 Wasteland
    2 Tezzeret the Seeker
    2 Talisman of Dominance
    1 Helm of Obedience
    4 Leyline of the Void

SB: 2 Goblin Welder
    SB: 2 Toxic Deluge
    SB: 1 Misdirection
    SB: 2 Lodestone Golem
    SB: 2 Engineered Explosives
    SB: 1 Engineered Plague
    SB: 2 Trinisphere
    SB: 1 Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 1 Caltrops
    SB: 1 Crucible of Worlds

Leyline is listed twice on the one posted in the article.

-Matt

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

As far as Domri Rade is concerned, I want to see a list that fully abuses the synergy between Sylvan Library, Domri Rade and Courser of Kruphix, maybe even paired up with additional shufflers like KotR, SFM and GSZ.

Despite being a bit slow, that would be a serious card selection/advantage engine.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    As far as Domri Rade is concerned, I want to see a list that fully abuses the synergy between Sylvan Library, Domri Rade and Courser of Kruphix, maybe even paired up with additional shufflers like KotR, SFM and GSZ.

Despite being a bit slow, that would be a serious card selection/advantage engine.
    I can dig the card advantage engine this could generate. My primary concern with such a list is that it still need to compete with both Delver decks (heavy tempo), and combo decks (heavy disruption). Between these two extremes, this engine has little traction to keeping you in the game. It's probably good in Modern, but in Legacy that takes way too many cards to setup just for a little bit of card advantage. It's probably easier to just splash blue for Treasure Cruise...
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Sweet episode!

Activate Birthing Pod... find a Siege Rhino. That is awesome. I actually saw some Rhinos in a Junk Hate brew last weekend (Chalice, 3ball, Choke, Teeg, Sigarda) and I couldn't help but wonder if he's actually legit. He dodges Bolt and Decay, his CIPT ability offers reach and precious lifegain, and he's not easy to Counterbalance. That said, 4 is a lot of mana to pay for something in Legacy. Sadly, a Rhino search on Gatherer left much to be desired.

I also enjoyed hearing about that sweet Bant Countertop list. It's too late for me to tinker with it before NJ, but I'm interested to see if a deck like that can emerge.

Again, great episode! I really hope I get a chance to sign one of those Eternal Warriors.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by T-101 View Post
    I really hope I get a chance to sign one of those Eternal Warriors.
    Good news! SCG normally cancels or questions orders for more than 8 of something but did not even question my order for 50 Eternal Warriors!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

nobody calls such deck as Canadian threshold anymore, not excused even if u're Canadian. SCG calls it Temur Delver, or just RUG Delver. Besides, TC pretty much replaced Mongoose.

You guys need to stop telling people Chains is a good card till after I've managed to secure my 2nd English one!

Dec 2011
    Calgary, Alberta

Quote Originally Posted by KIP_NZ View Post
    You guys need to stop telling people Chains is a good card till after I've managed to secure my 2nd English one!
    Remember when Chains was $30... like 2-3 years ago? :((((((((((((((((((

I was semi-hopeful for a Chains bear in the mono-colored commander decks but I was let down. Spirit is as good as it gets I guess.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

I usually don't see your comments since you're blocked for me, but I'll acknowledge you just this time.

I've been playing Legacy for a long time. When it came out, it was called Canadian. I don't mind the term RUG Delver, but I'll always call it Canadian. I am also a Canadian. Temur Delver is not real, plain and simple. TC hasn't replaced Mongoose, quite a few people are still running Mongoose and saying they still like it in a format full of removal.

Enjoy the rest of your Remembrance Day.

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mini1337s View Post
    Remember when Chains was $30... like 2-3 years ago? :((((((((((((((((((

I was semi-hopeful for a Chains bear in the mono-colored commander decks but I was let down. Spirit is as good as it gets I guess.
    I know, I got my Nether Voids and Abyss' a couple years ago. Figured I'd leave the Chains cause at that time to get some Moats, well Moat hasn't moved but Chains has exploded. Le sigh once I'm finished my beta power I'll get Chains.

Thread Information