Page 124 of 166 FirstFirst ... 2474114120121122123124125126127128134 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,480 of 3301

Thread: [Deck] Turbo Depths

Apr 2017
    Delft, Netherlands

Re: [DTB] Dark Depths

@Wiktul - thanks

@Filln- Push is great agains opposing DRS, (fliped) Delver, Strix's, d&t creatures, Magus ect. I wish i drew 1 in the quarter final agains his agent.
    Void is wider agains lands, (heavily played in my meta), dredge, and ofcourse reanimator.

I used to play 1 surgical in the main, but every time i drew it it felt more like a fun off. This weekend i tried the sylvan safekeeper instead. It think this is a mutch better choice.

The flex slots in the main i feel now is 1 land, probably the 4th wasteland or the Bog (totaly not a fan of this card), and the Library.
    Last edited by Ribo; 02-28-2018 at 12:42 PM.

I've been thinking about the sideboard a lot lately.
    I'm pretty set on the following: 1 Pithing Needle, 1 Karakas, 2 Rite of Consumption, 2 Surgical Extraction, 2 Abrupt Decay, 2 Not of this World, 1 Mishras Factory.
    The slots I'm not so sure about are 4 Mindbreak Trap. I like Mindbreak Trap because it's good vs Storm, BR Reanimator, Belcher, and Elves. The toughest matchup out of these is Storm. I've been thinking of swapping our the 4 Mindbreak Traps for 3 Inquisition of Kozilek and 1 more Surgical Extraction or Boseiju. I feel the Inquisitions would give us more game VS Storm and creature based matchups where Duress kind of fails. I don't like the Thorn or Sphere plan because it slows us down as well as them and I feel it not hitting the board until t2 can just be too late, same with Library in the storm matchup. The Inquisitions would also be great vs Show and Tell which isn't huge in my local meta but I know it's been one of my worst matchups. Probably Miracles, Show and Tell, Storm.
    Edit: Something a buddy of mine just pointed out from the 12 post forums is that you can Mikokoro in response to an infernal tutor.
    Last edited by Barthalamou; 03-01-2018 at 11:50 AM.

What do You think of my List, i am working on it for One year now and it does well for me.
    4x Lotus Petal
    4x ESG
    1x Dark Ritual (Very Nice i think)
    3x Not of this world
    4x Sylvan scrying
    2x in to The North
    4x Crop Rotation
    4x Vampire hexmage
    4x duress
    4x Thoughtseize
    3x pithing needle
    3x Urborg
    4x Verdant catacombs
    3x Bayou
    1x sc forrest
    1x sc Swamp
    1x GQ
    1x Steppe
    1x Bog
    4x Dark depths
    4x thespians stage

———-
    4x decay
    2x golgari charm
    2x faerie macabre
    1x Sylvan libary
    1x Not of this world
    1x dryad arbor
    1x Karakas
    1x Thorn of amethyst
    1x pithing needle
    1x Sylvan safekeeper

Hi at at all i am new to this Forum 🙌🤗

Oct 2015
    Seoul, KR

I think it's pretty close to the lists most of us play, but everyone moved off Not Of This World quite awhile ago and I haven't missed it. It's really quite poor compared to Safekeeper because it can't protect your Hexmage when you need it to and it's a one use card whereas Safekeeper can occasionally dominate a game being used 3 or 4 times.

It's fine to use Into the North if you like it, I prefer Map and I'll tell you why: Map gets us out of Blood Moons postboard.

Oct 2017
    Tampere, Finland

Made the finals of a 37 player tournament today, scooped em after a split to a friend (his report can be found here -> http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...=1#post1038089 <-) because I didn't realize to ask whether the bye gets transferred down if need be (I have a bye for every main event of the local series this year already due to winning last year's invitational).

List:
    https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/team...e-turbo-debts/

R1 Mirror 2-0
    We both discard to hell and back, I have the better topdecks.
    Can't remember exact boarding, forgot to bring Karakas in :--D Didn't get punished

R2 Miracles with red splash for Moon and blasts 2-1
    Lose G1 due to not finding protection and getting double Terminus'd, proceed to win games 2-3 by just having combo+Ground Seal as a fail safe+protection.
    -4 Pithing Needle (only real target is Jace and if the opponent taps out for it and untaps with instead of dying you've basically lost already)
    -3 Lotus Petal
    +2 Ground Seal
    +3 Sylvan Library
    +2 Abrupt Decay

R3 Merfolk 2-0
    No Vial in either game to threaten Image/Clique/Harbinger IIRC so pretty uncontested kills.
    -1 Pithing Needle
    -1 Bojuka Bog
    -3 Duress
    +4 Abrupt Decay
    +1 Karakas

R4 RUG Delver 1-2
    Games 1 and 3 Stifle your fetches, waste your lands, bang your mom, kill you with Goose you can't decay.
    -3 Expedition Map (stifle me baby)
    -1 Dryad Arbor
    +4 Abrupt Decay

R5 Blood Moon+Chalice+Bridge 0-2
    G1 lose because you can't really win.
    G2 I find Rite of Consumption and see about 15 different cards with Library in a few turns, don't find a single Decay vs 2x Blood Moon and 2x Magus of the Moon. Could try Maelstorm Pulse if you face this deck regularly (?), matchups feels like ass no matter what you do unless they mulligan themselves out of the game.
    +4 Abrupt Decay
    +3 Sylvan Library
    +2 Rite of Consumption
    -4 Pithing Needle
    -3 Duress
    -1 Sejiri Steppe
    -1 Bojuka Bog

R6 Grixis Delver 2-0
    G1 Needle Wasteland, kill them.
    G2 One Marit Lage gets Edicted after I Decay his Delver, no Surgical on Depths, combo again after a few turns of draw-go.
    +4 Abrupt Decay
    +2 Ground Seal
    -3 Sylvan Safekeeper
    can't remember what else. Arguments can be made for Sejiri Steppe if you're not afraid of Submerge, 1 Crop Rotation since it's the perfect Force target and you usually can only afford to cast one, Expedition Map gets stifled and n copies of Duress since Decay is a tempo-positive alternative.

Top8 in 7th seed

Quarterfinals, DnT 2-0

G1 Opponent has Batterskull, mom and two SFMs, one of which drops a Jitte. I have Depths+Hexmage ready to go. He equips Jitte on Batterskull instead of one of the Mystics, missing out on sure +4 life so I crop rotate Ghost Quarter to blow up Karakas, block with Hexmage, sac untap with Marit Lage swing and don't have to fade one draw of plow/Flickerwisp/another Karakas.
    G2 His curve is mom, Thalia, Recruiter->get a Magus of the Moon, which would essentially end the game on the spot given my hand (zero needles) and mom protecting Magus vs Decay. I have turn 3 Hexmage, pop Depths with Rite of Consumption in hand but no protection so need to fade one draw with hands crossed. He untaps but draws nothing relevant.
    +4 Abrupt Decay
    +2 Rite of Consumption
    +3 Sylvan Library
    -3 Lotus Petal
    -3 Duress
    -1 Dryad Arbor
    -1 Bojuka Bog (if he runs and successfully resolves Surgical Extraction I guess congratulations)
    -1 Sylvan Safekeeper (they have access to less Swords than Snapcaster decks and this guy can get Revoked. Can't really block and because there's no Chalice or Force I can Crop Rotate for Steppe uncontested).

Semifinals vs Merfolk, same friend from swiss, 2-1
    Basically the same deal as in the swiss, except in game two Hexmage got named with Sorcerous Spyglass followed by Chalice and lord+Mutavault beats, no natural combo or even a green source in the first 2-3 turns. Game 3 he goes for Echoing Truth on my two Hexmages when I have Depths on board. I sac the target and because of the brilliance of Magic's game mechanics I wait until his end with one Hexmage still intact (no Vial and no mana for Harbinger), crack Depths and win.

Llanowar Wastes is mostly for budget, but it's the best BG dual that's not a Forest for dodging Submerge. Blooming Marsh loses games due to not coming untapped as the fourth land for natural Stage+two lands -> Depths, more than the occasional 1-2 damage from Llanowar I'd say, depends on the amount of Storm and Burn with good draws of course.

Deck is fun and keeps overperforming.
    Last edited by jolssoni; 03-05-2018 at 05:48 PM.

Congratulations mister =)
    we play a very strong deck right now.
    i saw 3 mindbreak traps in your sideboard, how do you fell with traps in the sideboard?
    from my point of vew, i would say we have a very good combo matchup and we realy want some more stuff against DnT, Miracles, Meerfolks, Lands, etc...but what do you think about that?

my problem with the deck is, i have so many times problems to get the right mana aktive, no green or black sometimes and so often no coloured sorce of mana, should i try more than 4 fetchlands? i dont know this makes me so sad...i have no way to fix this problem...

Quote Originally Posted by ashent View Post
    I think it's pretty close to the lists most of us play, but everyone moved off Not Of This World quite awhile ago and I haven't missed it. It's really quite poor compared to Safekeeper because it can't protect your Hexmage when you need it to and it's a one use card whereas Safekeeper can occasionally dominate a game being used 3 or 4 times.

It's fine to use Into the North if you like it, I prefer Map and I'll tell you why: Map gets us out of Blood Moons postboard.
    thanks for your comment,

i understand youre opinion, but i would say, in to the north helps us also out of moon, becouse we can fetch for green and play it for our swamp, and it gives us so many times a big tempo plus, espacialy good when our op cant handle the depths ;)

same with the safekeeper, i understand everyone who switched from not from this world to safekeeper, but i would say we dont want a long game in every kind of game and notw is the fastest way to protect our big 20/20 flyer

our opponent knows when we have the safekeeper also, and can use it in their favour, other than notw =)

Oct 2017
    Tampere, Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Bl4ckbird92 View Post
    Congratulations mister =)
    we play a very strong deck right now.
    i saw 3 mindbreak traps in your sideboard, how do you fell with traps in the sideboard?
    from my point of vew, i would say we have a very good combo matchup and we realy want some more stuff against DnT, Miracles, Meerfolks, Lands, etc...but what do you think about that?

my problem with the deck is, i have so many times problems to get the right mana aktive, no green or black sometimes and so often no coloured sorce of mana, should i try more than 4 fetchlands? i dont know this makes me so sad...i have no way to fix this problem...
    Mindbreak Traps are there to basically make sure your tournament doesn't get ruined by some goofers on Belcher, Oops or Spanish while being great for obvious reasons vs Storm (discard their discard to protect them and then combo them out at your own leisure), and BR Reanimator (Going off turn 1 is always their best play and this is free interaction given they almost always need a combination of way to bin a fatty+animation+fast mana, unless they have the Unmask->play a land->Reanimate nuts, so Trap's very rarely a blank. If they play around it and you get to untap you just discard/Bog/Ground Seal them). My general plan vs Aggro Loam/DNT/Maverick/Lands is to just find a single Rite with Libraries and then fling a token as soon as you make one dodging Karakas/Maze of Ith etc, it's risky vs DNT and Maverick since they can Swords their own dudes but you can't beat them all. Aggro Loam can't if they run out Chalice on 1, Scavenging Ooze is slow and can be Decay'd and Lands can't gain life. I think those slots are plenty vs them.

I don't usually have color problems unless I mulligan to oblivion or get aggressively Wastelanded before I can land a Needle, you can run 8 fast mana and/or more colored sources if you like but I feel the mainboard slots are pretty fixed for a reason and the former are _really_ bad topdecks.

My biggest gripes with Into the North are that it puts Depths into play even when you can't afford it (eg. vs Wasteland when you don't have Needle) but you really need to find one, the alternative being just doing nothing, and it doesn't fetch any given land in the deck so it has less utility especially in the long game.
    Last edited by jolssoni; 03-05-2018 at 02:20 AM.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...?DeckID=119266

I have so many questions for this man.

Quote Originally Posted by caseyc View Post

You and me both. Personally not the biggest fan of a white splash. To each his own

I'm kind of loving that spicy Rancor in the main. Jam it on a Vampire Hexmage and you've got a 4/1 first strike trample. Then when you sacrifice it to make Marit Lage, you get the opportunity to put it on the token too.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I'll ask him, he plays at my LGS. I spoke with Cory about the Rancor addition about a month ago, and he described the Rancor as a way to get past Baleful Strix, flipped Delvers, Souls tokens, etc that can prolong the game for 1-2 turns and find answers. With Confidants it also provides more chumps for fair beats, which can be protected with Safekeeper. Hitting for 4 a turn is actually a decent clock, turning the alternative wincon of hitting with dorks better. The white splash is new to me, but the sideboard supports a decent beatdown plan with a surprising amount of threats (which are key against certain decks like Priest/Teeg for Elves, Thalia for storm, etc.)

I'll get his full take on it, and how effective the white splash was. Pretty sure he did a feature match as well.

EDIT: Here is another version that I was eyeballing, with DRS/Confidant as the main plan. I'm a little surprised at the complete lack of Pithing Needle, but that's probably because he was playing 4x Wasteland himself.

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=18654&d=316330&f=LE
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

I'm Cory Abrams and I wanna start off for apologizing for that terrible on camera match. I had been sick the entire weekend and had been running off energy drinks to keep me going. By the time that round came up I was half alive it felt like and had become extremely nervous going on camera. With all that and knowing this round was almost a win and in for me, I was playing poorly. I will do a more detailed tournament report later. The worst of it all I won the last 2 rounds to x-3. I was confident I made it but when the dust settled, jim Davis bounced me out by less than a point on tie breakers. I was the only x-3 that didn't make it in.

Sorry about the breaker math. I really like your take on Depths, and congratulations on your result.

Could you explain your hatebear choices, such as 3-mana Thalia? Why these hatebears over Sylvan Library?
    If you're wondering how I produce blue mana, I copy my opponent's Island with Thespian's Stage

My Youtube and Twitch usernames are DNSolver.

I am the Legacy metagame:

-2016 Eternal Weekend Europe won by BR Reanimator (I wrote the primer)
    -2016 Eternal Weekend North America won by Turbo Dark Depths (I write about and develop the winning version specifically)
    -Refiner of Hogaak Depths.

With all the concerns on Blood Moon, Magus, various DNT things...what about Culling Scales in the side for those long, draw go grindy type matches?

We largely don't play permanents other than Ground Seal, Hexmage, or Lotus Petal - aside from other hate pieces of course. It has some use against:

Blood Moon Stompy
    Taxes
    Lands (Mox, Exploration, Tracker)

Not sure if against Miracles or anything else, but food for though.

I can't access any lists, but it would replace the likes of Decay, Golgari Charm, or Not of this World.

It tends to slow down the match as the opponent has to choose between racing the Scale, or feeding it more food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Quote Originally Posted by DNSolver View Post
    Sorry about the breaker math. I really like your take on Depths, and congratulations on your result.

Could you explain your hatebear choices, such as 3-mana Thalia? Why these hatebears over Sylvan Library?

Yeah the breaker beat at the end was savage especially with half the top 8 being delver and if I was in, Jim Davis(miracles) would be out. So I can't take credit for the list it was actually a Japanese player Soejima Naoki who came up with it. I have had depths built for a while and never really commited to it. I actually was pointed in your direction Dnsolver by my buddy's Adam Wallace and Christopher Stitson when I first started down the depths road. I kept seeing essentially the same lists with only a few differences which made me look for something a little different. When I saw this list I fell in love with how wacky it was and saw alot if potential having the white splash and bobs main. The bobs over library solved a problem I was having with opponents gaining life to get out of range for the crack back. Also provided extra dudes around edict effects and blockers for faster aggro strategies. Also acted as a back up plan in case depths was surgicaled (Which came up a few times this weekend). The rancor(61st card I know lol) also helped with this line of play to put pressure on early if needed, aswell as trampling over strix/ delver . I can't say enough about the rancor, it hands down won alot of games this weekend. Wether it was beat down on a hexmage or a 4/1 first strike wall that bought me time to assemble.
    The hate bears I hadn't changed because this weekend I was really just planning on testing the list to make tweaks later, it just happened to perform well as is. The package kind of explains itself except the 3 drop thalia. It was surprisingly good against lands and eldrazi. I even won a game against teps with it out to slow down the land drops because of all there fetches. I think after everything I could argue that it out performed guardian and would consider cutting the 2 to go to 3 heretic. Guardian would save me from dying early to combo but also would slow our plan down to close out the game. Heretic is one sided and was also great against sneak attack decks. I will have to test that more. I would also cut the containment priest for a second teeg. Now to cut this down to a respectable 60 cards haha. I will get to an actual report soon once I transfer my notes.

The mirror:

Hello everyone, been a lurker so far!

I was wondering how to play the mirror assuming a stock list like DNSolver without the rites package in the SB?

How should I approach the match? What to board in/out?

Thanks!

Take out hte combo and beatdown with ESG/Hexmage....I'm serious.

+1 needle, +1 library, +1 karakas, +2 surgical, +1 mishra's factory
    -3 dark depths, -1 bojuka bog, -3 lotus petal

Oct 2017
    Tampere, Finland

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDark View Post
    The mirror:

Hello everyone, been a lurker so far!

I was wondering how to play the mirror assuming a stock list like DNSolver without the rites package in the SB?

How should I approach the match? What to board in/out?

Thanks!
    With my list I board
    +4 Abrupt Decay
    +1 Karakas
    +3 Sylvan Library
    +2 Rite of Consumption
    -3 Lotus Petal
    -1 Dryad Arbor
    -3 Expedition Map (get blown out less by Needle and make them more asymmetric)
    -3 Duress (doesn't hit everything, most importantly Hexmage)

The mirror's a subtle dance of back and forth if the other player just doesn't have the nuts or support the philosophy of boarding out the combo altogether. If both players draw all their Needles and everything gets stuck you just start digging for either Hexmages to beat down with or Decays while Thoughtseizing your opponent to see what they're working with. If you run Surgical it's gas for obvious reasons in the mirror. If you draw Karakas and can't crop rotate into it it becomes extremely important to not let them copy your Depths and then untap into Sejiri Steppe+kill you without you being able to do anything about it. Rite should be instantly game in all situations, since I haven't seen a successful list run life gain yet (other than DRS). If your opponent is on the board out combo plan I'd leave in Dryad Arbor since it can double block a Hexmage with ESG if your opponent attacks into a fetch.

I usually board out some number of dark depths in the mirror and go mostly for the rite kill

something like -2/3 petals. bog, -1 safekeeper, -3 depths +Rite package, +library. +3 decay, +2 surgical +karakas,
    Solnox on MTGO

Miracles is a good matchup for depths. Quote me on this

Griselbrand is not an interesting creature.

Dread it. Run from it. Marit Lage still arrives

Thread Information