Page 120 of 166 FirstFirst ... 2070110116117118119120121122123124130 ... LastLast
Results 2,381 to 2,400 of 3301

Thread: [Deck] Turbo Depths

Re: [Deck] Dark Depths

Wrapped up GP Toronto prep./teritary PT prep for my teammate and now setting my eyes on GP Kyoto. Are you guys all on the legacy lands discord? I'd like to discuss the thorn of amethyst plan/3x library in Solvers Sbd.

Current Match data since beginning December.

Overall 106 matches, 70.8% win rate.

12 post 2-1
    4c control 8-2
    Aluren 2-1
    BUG Delver 4-0
    Burn 4-0
    DNT 3-2 (Safekeeper)
    Dragonstompy 1-1
    Eldrazi 3-0
    Dredge 1-1
    Elves 4-1 (lost to Julian)
    Enchantress 2-1
    Esper Blade 2-0
    Grixis Delver 14-2
    Lands 4-0 (Safekeeper+ground seal)
    Maverick 2-1 (Safekeeper)
    Miracles 5-1 (surprise MD blood moon)
    Pox 0-1
    Reanimator 3-2 (surprisingly bad)
    RUG Delver 3-0
    SnT 3-6 (Need help)
    Slivers 2-0
    ANT 3-2
    TES 2-2 (Bryant Cook 0-2)
    UR Delver 0-1

Quote Originally Posted by caseyc View Post
    These are awesome! My Depths deck is almost fully altered now--here are my Depths:

Gorgeous guys! I just finished foiling my main deck out!

I'm working on jpn foiling some of the cheaper pieces atm. Foil JPN Hexmages are hard to find.
    Solnox on MTGO

Miracles is a good matchup for depths. Quote me on this

Griselbrand is not an interesting creature.

Dread it. Run from it. Marit Lage still arrives

Aug 2014
    Central New York

Honest question for anyone in the thread, how do you lose to fair non-blue decks? From a Maverick/DnT standpoint even Blood Moon (or the new psuedo blood moon) things are too slow. A hand with needle + blood moon sometimes isn't enough. EDIT: lost several games quickly with wasteland on the table as well.

DnT obliterates this deck, unless you get a god hand for T2 Lage with disruption.

Maverick is still a hard match up with all the angles it can attack from.

Generally being able to disrupt the combo early with two methods (Wasteland plus Swords) and then following up with Thalia or hate pieces to slow down the EOT tricks it can play. Then getting redundant levels of disruption (Maze, Wasteland, flyer plus Mother of Runes) and then killing before the Depths deck can find all of its contingencies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

I know this has been discussed previously in this forum, but I would like to revisit rite of consumption. I have played this deck at length, and never had a good experience with rite. It seems, to me, to be good in the following scenarios:

1. Vs. Miracles, preferably with a Boseiju to fetch as well. I believe this is the most compelling reason, although there are still situations where it may not be good enough, as they can potentially swords a snapcaster to survive. Has anyone has this come up? The idea of having a targeted package that still may not work is unappealing to me.

2. Versus DnT, because they have so many ways to deal with Marit Lage before attacking. This also seems difficult, because I feel like you would die before getting to the necessary mana to get the kill. And, as with Miracles, they can survive by swordsing their own guy.

3. Versus other Marit Lage decks, as a way to break through when you don’t have access to Steppe. Seems more corner, but I’ve found players bringing in rite against me in the mirror several times, so I may/must be missing something.

What to do you think? What, if anything, am I missing in my analysis?

Vs D+T, Rite is pretty embarrassing because of Swords'ing their own creatures (assuming you haven't had a chance to attack with Hexmage for a few turns). Additionally, in games where you're clearing the way to cast Rite sometimes they will have gained life with BSkull or have the ability to gain life with Jitte.

Vs Lands and Aggro Loam, Rite has been useful. Aggro Loam can have Swords but it is uncommon.

Vs Miracles, Rite + Boseiju is definitely annoying for them and makes them have to counter your land searches. This will vary in effectiveness depending on opponent skill. Some opponents will be trying to counter land searches anyway, while some will be letting them resolve.
    If you're wondering how I produce blue mana, I copy my opponent's Island with Thespian's Stage

My Youtube and Twitch usernames are DNSolver.

I am the Legacy metagame:

-2016 Eternal Weekend Europe won by BR Reanimator (I wrote the primer)
    -2016 Eternal Weekend North America won by Turbo Dark Depths (I write about and develop the winning version specifically)
    -Refiner of Hogaak Depths.

Quote Originally Posted by DNSolver View Post
    Vs D+T, Rite is pretty embarrassing because of Swords'ing their own creatures (assuming you haven't had a chance to attack with Hexmage for a few turns). Additionally, in games where you're clearing the way to cast Rite sometimes they will have gained life with BSkull or have the ability to gain life with Jitte.

Vs Lands and Aggro Loam, Rite has been useful. Aggro Loam can have Swords but it is uncommon.

Vs Miracles, Rite + Boseiju is definitely annoying for them and makes them have to counter your land searches. This will vary in effectiveness depending on opponent skill. Some opponents will be trying to counter land searches anyway, while some will be letting them resolve.
    Thanks for the quick reply. Are there matchups not listed where you think rite is useful, or even critical?

Against stompy decks like Mono-Red Stompy, Rite can close the game through however many Ensnaring Bridges they have. However, that matchup is probably still extremely unfavorable against versions with ~8 moon effects.
    If you're wondering how I produce blue mana, I copy my opponent's Island with Thespian's Stage

-2016 Eternal Weekend North America won by Turbo Dark Depths (I write about and develop the winning version specifically)

Quote Originally Posted by criticalslay View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. Are there matchups not listed where you think rite is useful, or even critical?
    Hey, so I've been on the Rite SB plan since around the Top ban and I've found it really helpful in shoring up most of our "bad" matchups. Here is why I think some people try Rite and don't have success with it: you really have to commit fully to the Rite plan, in most cases. You can't play your normal game plan and then expect to be set up to Rite some one for lethal. This means you prioritize lines of play differently post-board, and mulligan decisions are also quite different. Rite also pairs really well with Sylvan Library, because if you need to commit fully to the Rite plan, you need the card selection to be sure to find it and the other pieces of a successful Rite line.

I understand that others have not had success with it, but I think it may be differences in how you play out those post-board games that leads to it feeling sub-par. Especially: it needs to be your primary plan, not an adjunctive plan to attacking. Occasionally you will attack, but that is not prioritized. There are also lots of other little things you do to try to ensure a successful Rite. I don't have time right now--but maybe later I will post a more detailed strategic post-board approach to each match-up you bring Rite in, if others would be interested in that.

Hey, so I've been on the Rite SB plan since around the Top ban and I've found it really helpful in shoring up most of our "bad" matchups. Here is why I think some people try Rite and don't have success with it: you really have to commit fully to the Rite plan, in most cases. You can't play your normal game plan and then expect to be set up to Rite some one for lethal. This means you prioritize lines of play differently post-board, and mulligan decisions are also quite different. Rite also pairs really well with Sylvan Library, because if you need to commit fully to the Rite plan, you need the card selection to be sure to find it and the other pieces of a successful Rite line.

I understand that others have not had success with it, but I think it may be differences in how you play out those post-board games that leads to it feeling sub-par. Especially: it needs to be your primary plan, not an adjunctive plan to attacking. Occasionally you will attack, but that is not prioritized. There are also lots of other little things you do to try to ensure a successful Rite. I don't have time right now--but maybe later I will post a more detailed strategic post-board approach to each match-up you bring Rite in, if others would be interested in that.
    I would be interested in that.

Nov 2010
    easton

Yes please that would be great for the community.

Quote Originally Posted by militiaman89 View Post
    Yes please that would be great for the community.
    Ok, I'll base this guide off my paper list (below). My online list is a little different, for budget and paper versus online meta reasons--but both contain the Rite plan.

4x Dark Depths
    4x Thespian's Stage
    3x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4x Verdant Catacombs
    2x Bayou
    1x Llanowar Wastes
    1x Snow-Covered Forest
    1x Snow-Coverered Swamp
    1x Sejiri Steppe
    1x Ghost Quarter
    1x Bojuka Bog
    4x Lotus Petal
    3x Pithing Needle
    1x Expedition Map
    4x Elvish Spirit Guide
    2x Sylvan Safekeeper
    4x Vampire Hexmage
    4x Thoughtseize
    2x Duress
    1x Collective Brutality
    4x Crop Rotation
    4x Sylvan Scrying
    2x Into The North
    2x Gitaxian Probe

SB:

3x Rite of Consumption
    1x Boseiju, Who Shelters All
    1x Karakas
    1x Collective Brutality
    2x Abrupt Decay
    1x Krosan Grip
    1x Grafdigger's Cage
    1x Ground Seal
    1x Surgical Extraction
    2x Sylvan Library
    1x Murderous Cut (though I think this is more of a flex slot in general)

Post-board games against Lands:

Side in: 3x Rite of Consumption, 2x Abrupt Decay, 1x Karakas, 1x Ground Seal, 1x Surgical Extraction, 2x Sylvan Library
    Side out: 1x Dark Depths, 2x Into The North, 2x Elvish Spirit Guide, 2x Lotus Petal, 2x Gitaxian Probe, 1x Collective Brutality

Opening hand-- high priority cards: Sylvan Library, Pithing Needle moderate priority: Ground Seal/Surgical low priority: combo pieces, except stages are nice in the early-mid game.

Great hand example: Verdant Catacombs, Thespian's Stage, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Sylvan Library, Pithing Needle, Ground Seal, Thoughtseize. This hand is the nuts--it does everything we want to do in the early game.

Keepable hand example: Verdant Catacombs, Thespian's Stage, Expedition Map, Crop Rotation, Surgical Extraction, Bayou, Abrupt Decay. This hand can combo--but is weak to mana disruption. However, having Surgical will bide it time to develop into a better hand, as the loam engine will be offline.

Unkeepable hand example: Thespian's Stage, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Dark Depths, Thoughtseize, Crop Rotation, Sylvan Safekeeper. This is a great hand in a lot of matchups. Not this one. High likelihood you get severely punished if you keep this hand.

Basic strategy: Needle Wasteland and Ghost Quarter as fast as possible (assuming they run it, which they almost always do now), land Library, develop your mana, check out their hand with discard, interrupt their loam engine if possible. Use Karakas to deter a quick combo from them. Once you have done the above, the only thing you really have to worry about is Glacial Chasm, which many Lands players side out--though I'm not sure why. Save a discard spell for the turn you go off just to make sure they can't rotate for Chasm. The way this doesn't work against Lands is if we just get Wastelanded out of the game--hence, why Needle is such a priority. And if we don't have Needle--we need to stop the loam engine as soon as possible. Unlike some matchups, don't hold onto your Needle for the possibility of Needling Karakas or Maze of Ith--proactively stop their mana disruption. We keep Safekeeper in just in case we have the chance to attack for the win. The Decays are primarily for Trackers and the Ramunap Excavators/Crucibles I see popping up more often now. Sometimes it is correct to Decay Exploration or Manabond if you can't disrupt the loam engine.

Post-board games against Miracles:

Side in: 3x Rite of Consumption, 1x Boseiju, Who Shelters All, 2x Sylvan Library, 1x Ground Seal, 2x Decay, 1x Krosan Grip
    Side out: 4x Lotus Petal, 2x Gitaxian Probe, 2x Into The North, 1x Collective Brutality, 1x Crop Rotation

Opening hand: high priority cards-Sylvan Library, Sylvan Scrying, Expedition Map. Moderate priority: Duress, Rite of Consumption, Decay (for Blood Moon, Back to Basics, and Mentor). Low priority: Combo pieces. Having tutors is more flexible as your hand develops.

Great hand example: Verdant Catacombs, Verdant Catacombs, Sylvan Scrying, Elvish Spirit Guide, Sylvan Library, Thespian's Stage, Rite of Consumption.

Basic strategy: We want to develop our mana and land a Sylvan Library. Secondarily, we want to discard a couple of their high-impact cards (i.e. Jace, Search for Azcanta, Back to Basics, Blood Moon, Mentor, Entreat). Our first (and probably second) Needle target is almost always Jace. Then maybe Azcanta, The Sunken Ruin--but that is far less important than Jace. Our first land tutor ALWAYS gets Boseiju. That is very important. This land is a one of--and it's possible we'll never see if it we don't grab it first. Also, it helps your other Scryings resolve. Additionally, it can get locked under a Back to Basics if it comes down too late. Another thing we want to be doing in the early game is playing out annoying threats. You'll notice I leave all 4 of the Elvish Spirit Guides in. Unless it is an emergency, don't ever use those for mana in this matchup. Play these out as soon as you are able and start clocking the Miracles player. This puts a slight but significant pressure on the Miracles player to deal with them to be able to stick Jace, or have time to disrupt you in other ways. Also, they will have to spend a turn Terminus-ing or something, rather than cantripping for mentor or Entreat. Finally, these guys are important because they trade with Snapcasters. Almost always take that trade, especially if your opponent is close to 20 life. You don't want them STPing their own Snapcaster to avoid lethal from Rite. You also don't want them clocking you with Snapcaster. A couple hits from our ESG and Swordsing their own guy is no longer an out to Rite. Safekeepers can also protect your dorks from targeted removal, making the Miracles player's life even more annoying. Which, other than being kind of fun, is important in buying us time to Rite them. Discard targets depend on the board state, but usually we are discarding their high impact cards (mentioned above), Disenchents/CJs, and sometimes counter magic. We usually don't need to discard Jace because we can stick a Needle. This is a matchup where you ALMOST NEVER will be attacking for lethal post-board. That means you do everything above to set up for a lethal Rite. Most common secondary win condition is beatdown from little guys, and sometimes Rite sacrificing a Hexmage or something. Remember Hexmage is also an answer to Jace if you haven't found a Needle. You can also Rite of Consumption them with a little guy and redirect to Jace if you really need to. Though sometimes Jace really doesn't matter unless he is close to ultimate. Remember, we can out-grind Miracles with this plan. However, the trump cards they have are Mentor and Entreat. You can save a Decay for Mentor. But Entreat is tougher to deal with. Sometimes you can catch them with it in their hand early--it's almost always correct to discard it so you don't have to worry about it 10 turns later.

I'll follow up later with a section on Death and Taxes and some other less common matchups where Rite comes in. But I gotta take a break :-)

Jun 2014
    L.A., CA

This is really cool, caseyc - thanks for the writeup.

I've been playing Rites for a while, too, mostly for Lands, DnT, and Ensnaring Bridge decks. But there aren't a ton of UWx decks by me, so I haven't been running Boseiju. Is Miracles (or something similar like UW Landstill) the only archetype you bring it in against? And if you had a fourth Needle in your 75, would you bring it in against Miracles? Any love for something like a miser's Bitterblossom if you expect lots of Pile and/or Miracles, or is it just not necessary?

I'm also curious about the Cage over the second Surgical. I guess with Ground Seal in the sideboard (I've been trying Silent Gravestone and have liked it a lot), Surgical gets a little worse if you draw it after you play Seal.

Very helpful - thanks a lot!

Hello All:

What are your thoughts about 1 x Ancient Tomb? For additional possibilities on quick wins and for quick Sphere/Thorn effects post board.

Also, what is the preferred sideboard tech at the moment?

Currently, I run:
    1 Pithing Needle
    4 Abrupt Decay
    3 Sylvan Library
    1 Karakas
    2 Surgical Extraction
    4 Sphere of Resistance

I've been reading a lot about Rite of Consumption and Boseiju. In the upcoming paper meta that I'm going to encounter, I'm likely to see a lot of Miracles, Death and Taxes, Fair Decks with White, and Lands.

Jun 2014
    L.A., CA

Took 3rd in a 75-man monthly today, beating Tin Fins, Eldrazi, Miracles, UW Landstill, and UB Death's Shadow in the Swiss, then double-drawing into top8 for the 2nd seed. Then I beat another Eldrazi deck with Displacers and four(!) Bearer of Silence and finally got eviscerated by BR Reanimator. Despite getting mollywhopped in the semis, I took home a Liliana of the Veil and a Verdant Catacombs, so I was happy with my tournament. My list:

4 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Misty Rainforest
    2 Bayou
    1 Blooming Marsh
    1 Forest
    1 Swamp
    3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Sejiri Steppe
    4 Thespian's Stage
    4 Dark Depths

4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    3 Sylvan Safekeeper
    4 Vampire Hexmage

1 Sylvan Library

3 Lotus Petal
    2 Expedition Map
    3 Pithing Needle

4 Thoughtseize
    3 Duress
    1 Collective Brutality
    4 Crop Rotation
    4 Sylvan Scrying

// sideboard //

1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Karakas
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Silent Gravestone
    1 Pithing Needle
    3 Abrupt Decay
    1 Krosan Grip
    2 Rite of Consumption
    1 Bitterblossom
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Primeval Titan

I've been playing the fifth fetchland over the fourth Petal for a while now, and I like how it feels, especially when you have to be more cautious in postboard games. Having another way to get basic Forest or Dryad Arbor helps me better play around hate like Blood Moon and Edict, respectively. I like Brutality's versatility, being able to kill a blocker or deal the last two points after a Deathrite activation or something. I board it out a fair bit, though, as it's clunky and doesn't nab Sneak Attack.

Rite of Consumption won me two games today, one against Eldrazi in the Swiss and another against Miracles that sandbagged removal after countering my Safekeeper. I didn't end up needing Boseiju against either of the UW decks I played today, but I can't say for sure if that would be true in the future. Two copies of Rite felt like the right number, as I hate flooding on them. Bitterblossom gives me another angle of attack and saturates their Disenchant effects - I've loved this card and won't leave home without it.

Of course, I'm sure people are wondering what the hell Primeval Titan is doing in there. I've been looking for a card for Sneak 'n' Show that has utility elsewhere, and a friend of mine came up with Prime time. The idea is that the opponent Show and Tells, and you put in Prime Time, getting Karakas and whatever else you need. This is a pretty high variance plan, certainly, and I wasn't 100% sold on it. But I thought I'd try it for science. I brought it in against both of the UW decks, figuring it's just another big, dumb thing they need to answer while also getting value. It's just so much mana, so I'm not sure how consistently I'd be able to cast it. I drew it against Landstill and found better things to do while my opponent had five mana available and four cards in hand. So the jury's still out on it. I don't think I want a fifth Needle effect in Spyglass, so I'll continue testing Prime Time and see how it goes.

Thanks for reading, guys. I played some really cool games and could try to recap some of the memorable ones, if people are interested.

Nov 2010
    Japan

So I won a tournament for a Volcanic Island this past weekend. I copied the most recent list by DNSolver, minus 1 Abrupt Decay, plus one Krosan Grip (that didn't do anything). I have no idea what the Sphere of Resistance/Thorn of Amethyst split is about (Cabal Therapy?) and I didn't have Thorns but it didn't matter (see more about this below).

I went 3-2 in the Swiss.

Infect 1-2. I lost the last game this match because I didn't block a Glistener Elf with Marit Lage when my opponent had one unknown in hand; I was so focused on hoping that he didn't draw a answer that I forgot he could still just kill me and the card he drew was a pump spell.

Death and Taxes 2-1. This player built the deck a week ago. I got smoked in Game 1. Game 2 I made a Marit Lage on Turn 2 with a Safekeeper in play. I only had one land but my opponent also had two removal spells, Path and Swords. He sequenced his cards so that I countered the Path but lost my creature to Swords, and gaining 20 life kept me in the game. He throws a Wasteland away by trying to destroy Depths and I just copy a Swamp. He keeps topdecking answers but I keep topdecking anti-hate so I pull this one out. Game 3 my opponent tries to get too tricky for his own good--he plays a Flickerwisp to exile my Pithing Needle (Wasteland) so he can try to destroy my Depths while I'm a mana short to make a token, but I have Elvish Spirit Guide.

Miracles 2-0 Nothing to see here, my opponent mulliganned to five in Game 1 and I don't even remember Game 2

Eva Green (BG Midrange) 1-2. My opponent was paired down. This matchup should have been a joke, but I lost one game to bad draws on my end, and I lost another game to using my second turn to Scrying for a Depths, and my opponent spent their second turn using Hymn to Tourach, hitting Depths, and then casting Surgical Extraction on it. I anticipated that this was a possibility, but I still cast Scrying. Do you think that was a mistake? This opponent also tried to destroy a Stage when I could copy a basic, and played Pithing Needle on a Stage that was copying a Ghost Quarter. He pointed to my card and I just said "no, give me a name." How do you guys handle this when it comes up? I feel like what I said kind of gives something away if the opponent is attentive enough, and I was wondering if there was a better way.

Grixis Pyromancer 2-0. My opponent mulliganned to five in Game 1 and I dodged a Blood Moon only because he never drew red mana.

I play against the BG and the Infect players again in the Top 8 and Top 4, Both 2-0. It was at this point I realized that no one in my area knows how Depths works. I explained why untapped Wasteland is so bad for me, and there was this collective "oh shit" from all the players I played against. They *all* thought that there was nothing they could do to stop the combo once both lands were in play. I never played like they didn't know the rules, but the fact that they didn't get it caused them to fire Wastelands off at bad times. Do you all think that this is something I should be expecting at a GP at all? Depths is popular but somehow still not respected so there's a chance that many players have never been in a situation where they need to interact with a Depths trigger so they just don't know about it. My area is backwoods Japan though so the caliber of player here isn't high (I won this event playing against the best player in the area but his deck only plays 3 Diabolic Edict and I smashed him--Dryad Arbor MVP).

jdmdave, you had asked me about Depths at GP Chiba before but I was playing Doomsday. Top's banned so I'm playing Depths for GP Kyoto. I actually have a question for you. My teammate and I have been playing Depths for a while, and we have not once brought in any anti-Storm cards because I am literally the only Storm player in my area. The number of Storm players in Japan is pretty low. Did you play against any Storm at Chiba? Do you plan on actually bringing any Sphere effects for the GP? I honestly think there's a good chance of never seeing a single Storm opponent for the whole event, so it'd be better to have more general answers there. One of the Storm players in Tokyo is talking about how the Magus of the Moon D&T decks are getting popular in Tokyo, and I remember this mad scramble for Sanctum Prelates at GP Chiba because so many people wanted to play D&T, so I'd rather be prepared for that.

clean 2-0 2-0 2-0 3-0 sweep at the GP Toronto Sunday side event with DNsolvers latest list. I don't really like going down to 3 urborg, but it worked?

Reasons for Sphere / Thorn split from 3 pages back:

1) The main reason is to protect from Cabal Therapy
    2) We aren't bringing in this effect against any decks with creatures, so Thorn vs Sphere doesn't matter for the opponent
    3) Sphere actually taxes Hexmage, which is awkward sometimes when you can go turn 1 Sphere but then can't play turn 2 Hexmage, have to wait until you have another mana source on turn 3 or later

Edit: #2 actually awkwardly is incorrect. We are bringing this in against Belcher, so Tinder Wall isn't taxed by Thorn.

why the 3 urborg? I've always liked 4x, but your results speak for themselves

Thread Information