Page 158 of 166 FirstFirst ... 58108148154155156157158159160161162 ... LastLast
Results 3,141 to 3,160 of 3301

Thread: [Deck] Turbo Depths

Jan 2011
    York

Re: [DTB] Turbo Depths

Played a stifle heavy bug depths list in baltimore in some side events with trophies instead of decays and a 3-1 waste to gq split to a 50-50 finish on the weekend. Stifle was bad but fun bob+library+loam+brainstorm was super strong all weekend. Moving forward with bug I'd play this:

4 hexmage
    4 crop rotation
    4 brainstorm
    4 thoughtsieze
    3 needle
    2 trophy
    2 dark confidant
    2 loam
    1 library
    1 exploration
    1 duress

4 mox diamond
    4 depths
    4 stage
    4 urborg
    4 Verdant
    2 misty
    2 bayou
    1 usea
    1 tropical
    1 forest
    3 wasteland
    1 step
    1 gq

Sb
    1 Karakas
    1 dryad arbor
    1 bog
    1 needle
    1 assasin trophy
    1 duress
    1 dread of night
    1 toxic deluge
    2 decay
    2 tracker
    3 surgical

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by uncletiggy View Post
    Played a stifle heavy bug depths list in baltimore in some side events with trophies instead of decays and a 3-1 waste to gq split to a 50-50 finish on the weekend. Stifle was bad but fun bob+library+loam+brainstorm was super strong all weekend. Moving forward with bug I'd play this:

4 hexmage
    4 crop rotation
    4 brainstorm
    4 thoughtsieze
    3 needle
    2 trophy
    2 dark confidant
    2 loam
    1 library
    1 exploration
    1 duress

4 mox diamond
    4 depths
    4 stage
    4 urborg
    4 Verdant
    2 misty
    2 bayou
    1 usea
    1 tropical
    1 forest
    3 wasteland
    1 step
    1 gq

Sb
    1 Karakas
    1 dryad arbor
    1 bog
    1 needle
    1 assasin trophy
    1 duress
    1 dread of night
    1 toxic deluge
    2 decay
    2 tracker
    3 surgical
    I dont see stifle in your list, did you switch to brainstorm?

Also, did you find that brainstorm was worth it? It seems rather weak with limited shuffle effects and as the sole blue card.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    I dont see stifle in your list, did you switch to brainstorm?

Also, did you find that brainstorm was worth it? It seems rather weak with limited shuffle effects and as the sole blue card.
    12 shuffle effects (if you count Loam as a semi-shuffle) are enough to include BS.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Darklingske View Post
    12 shuffle effects (if you count Loam as a semi-shuffle) are enough to include BS.
    Crip rotations should probably be used more strategically than as shuffle effects.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Crip rotations should probably be used more strategically than as shuffle effects.
    Lots of Brainstorm decks don't have 12 shuffle without counting Ponder or SFM; but your Ponders are often better used than a "shuffle, draw 1" and your SFMs may want to be played out earlier (unless you T1 BS'd, which is risky.) 8-9 fetch is the usual antidote; with his 2 loams that's about even, with Bob and Library helping you sift the garbage and with Crop Rotation as a backup; seems like BS may be *more* reliable here than normal.

As another comparison; ANT just runs the 4 ponder, 8-9 fetches as standard (unless you count the tutors.) U/R delver runs 8-9 fetches, 4 ponder, and maybe some Light up the Stage (which is pretty mediocre for getting rid of your garbage)

So I think it's probably doable; especially since Dredge is (if found) available every turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Jan 2011
    York

I cut the stifles after the weekend for +1 needle +1 duress +1 exploration. Stifle was cute i had a game against temur delver where i stifled his first fetch then wasted his first land drop and we just kinda looked at each other like stop doing my thing... but as a protection holding up blue mana was not reasonable.

Brainstorm was great, it rarely functioned as a set up card it was always better for rebuilding and ditching excess diamonds. Ive always been underwhelmed with sylvan scrying because the deck is so hungry to make land drops which is why id like to try the single exploration. The bob loam library package was stellar every single game at giving me a critical mass of cards for brainstorming into the last piece. Loam clears the top of your deck pretty nicely and without deathrite floating around is pretty free game 1 i almost always side one out post board.

You basically instantly fold to any combo with that list. Not the spot where I want to be if im playing a BUG Depths list.

I appreciate when people try new things and try to innovate, but we already have a super tuned BUG Depths list, we have thousands of matches with it under our belt (and with thousands I really mean thousands) on MTGO, GP and big events. I dont wanna sound harsh or anything, but maybe, in my humble opinion, it should be the starting point if you wanna make some changes.

Jan 2011
    York

Hmm I was playing the list you are refering too almost 3 years ago at this point maybe 3 cards have changed since then. The meta has slowed down a lot since then. The current paper enviroment is very hostile to spell based combo and signifigantly more "fair" then mtgo. Im not advocating anyone play my list merely sharing a recent experience where i decided to go rogue.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Jax- View Post
    You basically instantly fold to any combo with that list. Not the spot where I want to be if im playing a BUG Depths list.

I appreciate when people try new things and try to innovate, but we already have a super tuned BUG Depths list, we have thousands of matches with it under our belt (and with thousands I really mean thousands) on MTGO, GP and big events. I dont wanna sound harsh or anything, but maybe, in my humble opinion, it should be the starting point if you wanna make some changes.
    This is the beauty of dark depths. It is easily adaptable for the expected metagame. He was merely commenting on how the deck played and some of the synergies.

I cut the stifles after the weekend for +1 needle +1 duress +1 exploration. Stifle was cute i had a game against temur delver where i stifled his first fetch then wasted his first land drop and we just kinda looked at each other like stop doing my thing... but as a protection holding up blue mana was not reasonable.

Brainstorm was great, it rarely functioned as a set up card it was always better for rebuilding and ditching excess diamonds. Ive always been underwhelmed with sylvan scrying because the deck is so hungry to make land drops which is why id like to try the single exploration. The bob loam library package was stellar every single game at giving me a critical mass of cards for brainstorming into the last piece. Loam clears the top of your deck pretty nicely and without deathrite floating around is pretty free game 1 i almost always side one out post board.
    Ive found stifle to be lack luster as well. As much as I want to to be good it isnt. I keep waiting for the day that the perfect spell will be printer for us. 1 cmc that either counters an activated ability or gives Shround/hexproof in the same card. It would probably be a 4x main deck.

Also, ive found the best number of mox diamonds to be 2 if you dont want to have to get rid of them. Using brainstorm helps but you also dont need mox diamond every game. Exploration is a very solid 1x than steals games. Especially in conjunction with life from the loam. I employ the same strategy as you do with my loams when playing. Its almost a free game 1 but they usually come out g2 unless I havent revealed them. Since I only run 1 it doesnt come up too often and sometimes I can surprise them game 2 since they didnt board in grave hate.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

Hmm I was playing the list you are refering too almost 3 years ago at this point maybe 3 cards have changed since then. The meta has slowed down a lot since then. The current paper enviroment is very hostile to spell based combo and signifigantly more "fair" then mtgo. Im not advocating anyone play my list merely sharing a recent experience where i decided to go rogue.
    I don't know if you are referring to your LGS meta with the "very hostile to spell based combo" , because thats hardly true otherwise.
    Storm is hands down one of the best decks in the format atm, Grixis Phoenix is another spell based combo that recently started to do well in paper too.

Most of the fair decks are pretty easy matchups, DnT is in low numbers, it spiked after the bans but now it doesn't see that much plays, same for Maverick.
    Also the new version of Moon Stompy is slighty easier than before.

@Apple713: I don't like to build my decks with a specific local meta in mind, I like to have a deck tuned for the big events, not my LGS.
    Nothing wrong with that, but he didn't say his deck was build with a "fair" metagame in mind (and with fair I mean white based decks, because other fair strategies are pretty soft to Depths).
    Also the lack of safekeepers in the 75 looks bad to me if you have a slow and grindy approach in mind.

Stifle is amazing. But its not a 4x card.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Jax- View Post

Also the lack of safekeepers in the 75 looks bad to me if you have a slow and grindy approach in mind.

Stifle is amazing. But its not a 4x card.
    Safekeepers are ok to forego if you are playing something more grindy. The expectation is that life from the loam will sustain you. With an exploration in play you can combo every turn.

Yes I know he only has 1 exploration. Life from the loam will usually still get there though because 20 life from a swords will often buy more than 2 turns.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

DNSolver is back on traditional Turbo and took down a Legacy Challenge:

https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=21113&d=340534&f=LE
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Here is my latest list, I tryied 3 garden but four is better, the online meta has a lot of graveards decks so i switched for bog main and leave one maze (second maze was mainly for death and taxes where it shines). Not of this world is better than safekepeer against miracle cause you don't want them to two for one vampire+safejkepper with terminus, it is also better against decks playing chalice @1 with balista such as 12 post drazi and so on and I have no problem with edicts decks.

I have done a league where I was 4-1 beat grixis phenix, uw miracl, uw stoneblade, uw miracle and lost to br rea.

Here is my siddeboard plan against miracle which had success with:

+4 not of this worl
    +3 spellbomb

-1 bog
    -1 maze
    -3 needle
    -1 map
    -1 scrying

I don't bring the decay in and prefer to scoop to b2b, you have discard as an option and decay is too often a dead card that i prefer to leaving all of them
    I keep the gq cause some list plays one off karakas in side.

I have tryied stuff against storm but i prefer the nihil bomb for now [(enters in a lot of matchups - control decks (grixiscontrol-miracle)- graveyards combo decks Br rea storm someway -lands)], the storm macthup is not good but still manageable.

Warping wail was slow against combo decks, but good in others matchups against dark confidant, i prefer cutting them for now

// 60 Maindeck
    // 7 Artifact
    3 Pithing Needle
    4 Expedition Map

// 4 Creature
    4 Vampire Hexmage

// 4 Enchantment
    4 Sylvan Library

// 4 Instant
    4 Crop Rotation

// 27 Land
    4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Thespian's Stage
    4 Dark Depths
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Sejiri Steppe
    1 Maze of Ith
    4 Khalni Garden
    4 Blooming Marsh
    3 Llanowar Wastes
    1 Bojuka Bog

// 14 Sorcery
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Inquisition of Kozilek
    4 Sylvan Scrying
    2 Duress

// 15 Sideboard
    // 3 Artifact
    SB: 3 Nihil Spellbomb
    // 7 Instant
    SB: 3 Abrupt Decay
    SB: 4 Not of This World
    // 1 Land
    SB: 1 Karakas
    // 4 Sorcery
    SB: 2 Toxic Deluge
    SB: 1 Duress
    SB: 1 Maze of Ith

Edit went 4-1 again today beat eldrazi, big drazi, grixis control, lost to ichorid in 3 because he had leyline of sanctity in g3, and beat storm in 3 was lucky g1

I am testing the grixis delver matchup and it is not so good slightly unfavorable contrary to others delver decks especially this list and after side :

it has needle edict blossom side abrade for needle, i think i'll be back with 2 maze maindeck helps a lot here or 1 main one side

// 60 Maindeck
    // 12 Creature
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Gurmag Angler
    2 True-Name Nemesis
    2 Young Pyromancer

// 23 Instant
    1 Abrade
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Spell Pierce
    4 Thought Scour

// 19 Land
    2 Flooded Strand
    1 Island
    2 Misty Rainforest
    2 Polluted Delta
    2 Scalding Tarn
    3 Underground Sea
    3 Volcanic Island
    4 Wasteland

// 6 Sorcery
    4 Ponder
    2 Thoughtseize

// 15 Sideboard
    // 4 Artifact
    SB: 1 Engineered Explosives
    SB: 2 Grafdigger's Cage
    SB: 1 Pithing Needle

// 1 Creature
    SB: 1 Izzet Staticaster

// 2 Enchantment
    SB: 2 Bitterblossom

// 8 Instant
    SB: 1 Abrade
    SB: 2 Diabolic Edict
    SB: 2 Flusterstorm
    SB: 2 Pyroblast
    SB: 1 Surgical Extraction

Edit : went again 4-1 today beat grixis tempo*3 lots once to grixis tempo and beat one ant, had the second maze in side instead of one duress and it was very valuable

edit: 5-0 yesterday and 4-1 today again
    Last edited by adrieng; 02-19-2019 at 06:01 AM.

I guess it is official now, if you want good information you don”t come to this site.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    I guess it is official now, if you want good information you don”t come to this site.
    ? did something happen?
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

? did something happen?
    Yes people posting the most ridiculous decklist and trying sell them as good.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Yes people posting the most ridiculous decklist and trying sell them as good.
    Im not sure what lists you are talking about. 90% of the lists posted in the thread are the same except with maybe 12 cards of variance.

If you are referring to Adrien’s list, he’s been a long time poster and made significant contributions over the years. As a result his list, well a version of it, is in the primer.

Please refrain from making snide comments.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

is counterbalance any good against this deck? I'm still learning how to sideboard against this deck using uw miracles. Thanks in advance

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Take this with a grain of salt because I have a below average record against Miracles.

I don't fear Counterbalance playing Depths very much. It can counter the tutors and discard, but with redundant combo pieces I can sometimes combo just by making land drops. Miracles typically gives a lot of time to find the lands. If I Duress/Thoughtseize against miracles my targets are Terminus, Swords to Plowshares, Council's Judgment, Jace the Mind Scupltor, and Snapcaster Mage (in that order.) The uptick of Counterbalance is also why I've stayed loyal to favoring Abrupt Decay over Assassin's Trophy, even to the point of main-decking 2x Decay. Trophy is still great against Miracles but can be hit by countermagic.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Yes CB is good, we still have plenty of ways to win under it tho, so its not gamebreaking like it could be against Storm. Good Miracles players usually keeps it in vs me.

@Me.Safety: Terminus is definetely not the first discard choice in the matchup if you play it correctly.

Thread Information