Page 138 of 166 FirstFirst ... 3888128134135136137138139140141142148 ... LastLast
Results 2,741 to 2,760 of 3301

Thread: [Deck] Turbo Depths

Re: [DTB] Turbo Depths

Quote Originally Posted by Sinkhole View Post
    First of how does Thespian's Stage work? Is it right that I have to have a Marit Lage with the counters on it in play, than play the Stage, activate it and just getting a Marit Lage copy with zero counters on it, sacrificing it and bring the monster out of the ice into play?
    Short answer how it works: stage activation with DD in play. Stage copies DD. Sac the original DD due to legendary rule. Now sac Stage Depths as there are no counters on it and summon Marit. Only rule is that both lands need to be in play when the ability of Stage resolves.
    Further is it possible ot play 2 Sylvan Library over the map main?
    All is possible.
    And do you think Dark Depths would a good long term investment or would it become outdated in the near future?
    Again, all is possible. Buy cards you like to play. Every deck will eventually be outdated.

Ok thank you for your helpful explanations! I just confused Marrit Lage with Dark Depths, so I was right about how it works.
    Annother thing I would like to know how consistent and fast is the Depths compaired to Br Reanimator. Reanimator combos on Turn 1 - 2, but feels a bit like a glass cannon deck. Further it becomes borring really fast, because all games are going the same way and the deck loses so often against itself and fast grave hate. So is Turbo Depths a bit more consistent an more difficult to hate out? And is it a bit more variedly to play, that I can enjoy the deck over a longer time, without getting bored so fast? Thanks again!

Ok thank you for your helpful explanations! I just confused Marrit Lage with Dark Depths, so I was right about how it works.
    Annother thing I would like to know how consistent and fast is the Depths compaired to Br Reanimator. Reanimator combos on Turn 1 - 2, but feels a bit like a glass cannon deck. Further it becomes borring really fast, because all games are going the same way and the deck loses so often against itself and fast grave hate. So is Turbo Depths a bit more consistent an more difficult to hate out? And is it a bit more variedly to play, that I can enjoy the deck over a longer time, without getting bored so fast? Thanks again!
    Turbo Depths is normally make Marit on turn 3. That being said I have done plenty of turn 2s and a few Turn 1s. There are a lot of interesting plays that you can do with the deck since it is partially a tool box deck with crop rotation. That being said, there is pretty much only one road to victory. I did play tireless tracker out of the board and it helps as a bonus win con in games 2-3.

There are certain lines you need to use to win, but there are a lot of ways to get there. In general this deck is hard to interact with and had a decent amount of defense in the main and so you get into little games with your opponent. I started playing this deck when it was relatively unknown and it caught a lot of people off guard, now it is a major deck in the format and more people know how to play against it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 2013
    Philippines

Made 2nd place yesterday in a small tournament (22 players, 5 rounds)

Decklist: (https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=19866&d=328323&f=LE)

Pairings:
    R1 vs DNT - Draw
    R2 vs Goblins - 0-2
    R3 vs Eldrazi Aggro - 2-1
    R4 vs Lands - 2-0
    R5 vs Elves - my teammate give me the win since I have more chances of making it to the top 8. We play tested and I 2-0'd him.
    Qf vs TES - 2-0
    Sf vs Goblins - 2-1
    Finals vs Moon Stompy - 0-2

Just reply to the thread if you have any questions. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexPants View Post
    Turbo Depths is normally make Marit on turn 3. That being said I have done plenty of turn 2s and a few Turn 1s. There are a lot of interesting plays that you can do with the deck since it is partially a tool box deck with crop rotation. That being said, there is pretty much only one road to victory. I did play tireless tracker out of the board and it helps as a bonus win con in games 2-3.

There are certain lines you need to use to win, but there are a lot of ways to get there. In general this deck is hard to interact with and had a decent amount of defense in the main and so you get into little games with your opponent. I started playing this deck when it was relatively unknown and it caught a lot of people off guard, now it is a major deck in the format and more people know how to play against it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ok thanks for your explanation. I have done a few testings these days and I can say that I defentily enjoy playing the deck, so I think I join the Depths community
    It`s a powerful A + B Combodeck, so yes it hasn`t lots of interaction with your opp., but because of the toolbox and tutors it does feel very versatile to play and doesen`t become
    old so far as Reanimator. Annother point I enjoy is that the deck let you room for personal card decisions. In my current test list I played one Into the North as a 5. fast tutor and
    2 Sylvan Library instead of the maps main. Overall I think Depths is more my deck than Reanimator.

Congrats to your second place downtoonelife!
    What a pity that you lost the final. Were the games against moon stompy pretty close, or were you always far behind? How did you baord against it?

Greetz

Mar 2013
    Philippines

Congrats to your second place downtoonelife!
    What a pity that you lost the final. Were the games against moon stompy pretty close, or were you always far behind? How did you baord against it?
    Thank you. It was really a bad match up. In our game 1, he was on the play and he turn 1 chalice for 1 then turn 2 ensnaring bridge. I have no answer to bridge. I mull to 5 in game 2. My opening hand contain 1 thespian stage, karakas, sylvan library, golgari charm, elvish spirit guide and I decided to mull. My thinking then was to keep a hand with a discard spell turn 1. My 6 card has a duress but no colored mana. My 5 cards has the combo but no Charm/AD/Beast Within nor a discard spell. He played turn 1 blood moon and then turn 2 rabblemaster gg. Going back, I should have kept my opening hand.

Side In: 3 Abrupt Decay, 2 Golgari Charm, 1 Beast Within, 2 Rite of Consumption
    Out: 1 Bojuka Bog, 1 Sejiri Steppe, 4 pithing needle, 1 Sylvan Scrying, 1 Sylvan Safekeeper

Nov 2014
    Geneva

Quote Originally Posted by downtoonelife View Post
    Made 2nd place yesterday in a small tournament (22 players, 5 rounds)

Decklist: (https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=19866&d=328323&f=LE)

Pairings:
    R1 vs DNT - Draw
    R2 vs Goblins - 0-2
    R3 vs Eldrazi Aggro - 2-1
    R4 vs Lands - 2-0
    R5 vs Elves - my teammate give me the win since I have more chances of making it to the top 8. We play tested and I 2-0'd him.
    Qf vs TES - 2-0
    Sf vs Goblins - 2-1
    Finals vs Moon Stompy - 0-2

Just reply to the thread if you have any questions. Thanks.
    Congratz! Could you tell us what crazy hands you had to beat TES 2-0 without dedicated hate in the SB? Did you bother side the golgari charms and/or deluge in or did you just tried (and succeded) to race him?

Mar 2013
    Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by Darkgobs View Post
    Congratz! Could you tell us what crazy hands you had to beat TES 2-0 without dedicated hate in the SB? Did you bother side the golgari charms and/or deluge in or did you just tried (and succeded) to race him?
    I had an opening hand with duress, thoughtseize and petal. He played first being the top seed after the swiss round. He played ponder and pass. I discard his rite of flame and LED. I think in my turn 5, I was able to summon marit lage. He was not able to assemble his combo. Game 2 he mull to 5. He got flooded and i had safekeeper and elvish spirit guide attacking his life. He concede before I got marit lage in play. Maybe I just got lucky. Discard was really relevant as well. I did side in Golgari Charm, Surgical and even Planar Void.

Is Planar Void over Leyline a budget consideration or is there another reason? I notice you’re only running three so maybe that’s why...

Mar 2013
    Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by crowe_1 View Post
    Is Planar Void over Leyline a budget consideration or is there another reason? I notice you’re only running three so maybe that’s why...
    Thanks for the question crowe_1. I do have a playset of Leyline. I think Leyline is good only when it is in your opening hand. Planar Void has the same purpose playing against Reanimator, Lands, Aggro Loam but at 1cc. You can easily side it in also against Storm and Grixis Delver decks. So like you mentioned, its another option to use also for budget consideration.

Makes sense. I guess we aren’t a deck where we would be mulliganing to Leyline necessarily so Planar Void might be more widely useful if topdecked in the first couple of turns.

Splitted top 2 of a 22 tornament players :

macthup eldrazi 2-0, omnishow 2-1, death and taxes 2-0, grixis delver 2-0, draw into top8

top8 storm 2-1 lucky here this matchup is slightly unfavorable in testing , death and taxes 2-0, split top 2.

I was happy with everything, with others list side changed a littel -1 DON +1 safekeeper, -3 bomb +3 decay.

In current meta the maze maindeck is way better than bojuka bog +1 maze -1 bojuka bog

The deck loses to blood moon and ratchte bomb is not a good answer, I prefer decay for now.

With others side tech against miracle I am fine not keepint the needles they are too slow so what changes with my previous side tech :

+3 safekeeper +3 surgical +3 decay -2 map -1 maze -2 scrying -4 needle

The bad matchups : moon stompy
    slightly unfavorable : BR rea, sneak show, storm, lands
    50-50 : UB shadow, affinity (depending of the number of karakas and bridge), elf, death and taxes, infect

others matchups are favorable to my testing.

// 60 Maindeck
    // 8 Artifact
    4 Expedition Map
    4 Pithing Needle

// 4 Creature
    4 Vampire Hexmage

// 4 Enchantment
    4 Sylvan Library

// 4 Instant
    4 Crop Rotation

// 26 Land
    4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Thespian's Stage
    4 Dark Depths
    4 Blooming Marsh
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Sejiri Steppe
    3 Llanowar Wastes
    4 Khalni Garden
    1 Maze of Ith

// 14 Sorcery
    4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Inquisition of Kozilek
    4 Sylvan Scrying
    3 Duress

// 15 Sideboard
    // 3 Creature
    SB: 3 Sylvan Safekeeper

// 3 Enchantment
    SB: 3 Dread of Night

// 6 Instant
    SB: 3 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 3 Abrupt Decay

// 1 Land
    SB: 1 Bojuka Bog

// 2 Sorcery
    SB: 2 Toxic Deluge

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I'm back onto this deck, about 80% sure I'm playing this at a local 1k in a couple weeks. I was a big advocate for DRS/Confidant when DRS was legal, but I have found that even just Confidant puts the deck right where I want it (a little less all-in, better at splitting the defense and grinding.) Here is the list I have sleeved ATM (cutting 1x Depths, 1x Stage, and 1x random card to get in 3x Dark Confidant.)

4x Vampire Hexmage
    3x Dark Confidant
    4x Elvish Spirit Guide
    4x Lotus Petal
    4x Thoughtseize
    3x Duress
    2x Collective Brutality
    3x Pithing Needle
    4x Crop Rotation
    2x Expedition Map
    2x Sylvan Scrying
    2x Sylvan Library

3x Dark Depths
    3x Thespian's Stage
    4x Verdant Catacombs
    1x Bayou
    2x Blooming Marsh
    2x Swamp
    1x Forest
    3x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1x Ghost Quarter
    1x Sejiri Steppe
    1x Bojuka Bog
    1x Dryad Arbor

Sideboard
    3x Not of this World
    3x Faerie Macabre
    3x Abrupt Decay
    2x Toxic Deluge
    1x Karakas
    1x Maze of Ith
    2x Rite of Consumption

I'm definitely trying to maximize my first turn play with 8x fast mana and 5 2-drops that can really boost the game (Confidant, Library.) Brutality is there as a discard + removal for things like Baleful Strix/flipped Delvers/Flickerwisp. I have an abnormal amount of Death and Taxes in my local metagame (which I know to be, at the least, a challenging matchup.) My maindeck/sideboard is designed to be less all-in and better at grinding a fair plan. Not of this World is to counter Karakas/Swords to Plowshares (straight in for Dark Confidant, getting dinged for 7 with Bob is a no-go.) I have the Surgical Extractions, I was just looking at Faerie Macabre as another way to go an alternative path of 'play anamic dorks, chip shot for 2-4 a turn'. I love that it's a turn zero play (similar to Extraction.) Extraction is definitely better against Sneak/Show, Lands, and Storm, all of which I rarely see. BR Reanimator and Dredge are both common. I could easily jam in 2x Extraction if that's just a better plan.

If any of my card choices seem sub-par, I welcome feedback. I know that Dread of Night is very good, not sure if I can acquire them before 9/15 when the tournament happens. I have Engineered Plague, which can stack nicely against Elves/Merfolk/Goblins (not that I expect too many of these, but at the local, anything is possible.) Just keep in mind I'm trying to be resilient with maindeck Bob/Library while still maintaining a semblance of Turbo-capability with fast mana and 8 overall tutors.

EDIT: I forgot I had Rite of Consumption x2 in the board. Also, is Inquisition of Kozilek a consideration instead of Duress? It doesn't hit Force of Will or Jace (I figure the main targets for Duress) but IoK can still get Swords to Plowshares, almost all of D&T's creatures, hits most of storm, and nabs Snapcaster (if we're lucky, lol), and is just generally better as a tempo play than Duress against fair decks because it can nab threats.
    Last edited by Mr. Safety; 08-27-2018 at 02:04 PM.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

I have done a few testings with Turbo Depths so far and I really enjoy the deck. It`s so much fun to play and versataile for a two card combo. I play with two Librarys main and think they are really good, that makes it a bit slower but give Depths a little bit better edge against Miracles and other Controll decks, where the games go naturally a bit slower and you have to wait for the right time to combo off. Further it really helps to recover, when the Monster has gotten a hit by Swords. And that`s just an impression and I am not sure, if I am right wiht my thoughts, but most of the time I found Bog really useless, with the upcoming rise of SnS I most of the time would rather have Karakas main or a Maze and it`s still good against Reanimator. Would that be a bad call, or I am right with that now?

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I think it's fine to swap Karakas for Bog main deck. I actually swapped mine out because what you say makes sense: it's still relevant against Reanimator (Griselbrand) and Sneak/Show is getting more prevalent again. Bog main deck was really a concession to having a utility land against the more common graveyard interactions like Deathrite Shaman and Past in Flames. Storm, even though it just won Eternal Weekend, is fairly rare nowadays. It has completely disappeared at my LGS, replaced with Death and Taxes and Stoneblade variants.

It's also notable that even if you do run face-first into Dredge/Manaless dredge you can still race them with Marit Lage, then board in your surgicals/bog and have a really decent matchup.

Maze of Ith I'm still a little iffy on...it can buy you time, but Karakas does the job better in most situations. It can stall a Knight of the Reliquary, Death's Shadow, or Gurmag Angler but all of those threats are pathetic compared to just making a 20/20 and protecting it for a turn. I don't think Maze of Ith is bad, not at all, it just might not be necessary.

I've been on 2 Libraries maindeck in every green-based deck I play in Legacy for the past 5 years. Card is bonkers.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Has anyone tried 1xGolgari Rot Farm? It wouldn't be for mana, it would be for 2 specific reasons:

1) Saves lands from Wasteland/Ghost Quarter with Crop Rotation
    2) Allows EtB lands to be used a 2nd time (Bojuka Bog, Sejiri Steppe)

Thoughts?
    Brainstorm Realist

Mr. Safety
    Has anyone tried 1xGolgari Rot Farm? It wouldn't be for mana, it would be for 2 specific reasons:

1) Saves lands from Wasteland/Ghost Quarter with Crop Rotation
    2) Allows EtB lands to be used a 2nd time (Bojuka Bog, Sejiri Steppe)
    good players shouldn't waste you until they are forced to do so (with a needle or an activation of ghost quarter on their wasteland)
    other than that for bad players who wastes you you can save a land by saccing with crop the land that get targeted,
    and to reuse and ETB that might be useful but you better play a second sejiri stepe/bojuka bog, i think.

Other than that Maze of ith maindeck is very useful, i don't see why you wouldnt play it it helps plays around wasteland get copyed by stage to stall, help gaining some time.
    There is really no reason not to play it, even a second in side has been useful against death and taxes but I have no space anymore.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by adrieng View Post
    good players shouldn't waste you until they are forced to do so (with a needle or an activation of ghost quarter on their wasteland)
    other than that for bad players who wastes you you can save a land by saccing with crop the land that get targeted,
    and to reuse and ETB that might be useful but you better play a second sejiri stepe/bojuka bog, i think.

Other than that Maze of ith maindeck is very useful, i don't see why you wouldnt play it it helps plays around wasteland get copyed by stage to stall, help gaining some time.
    There is really no reason not to play it, even a second in side has been useful against death and taxes but I have no space anymore.
    Being still (fairly) new to Depths, I forget sometimes that Stage allows utility lands to double up. I'll get the Maze in there. What do you suggest I cut? I see 3 options: Swamp, Sylvan Library, Collective Brutality.

How do you feel about Bog sideboard? It seems correct to me, at least at the local level.

I'll leave the Rot Farm out for now; just a little too cute, and with the interactions available already it seems too deep. I was just curious if anyone had tried it.
    Brainstorm Realist

Oct 2015
    Seoul, KR

>I forget sometimes that Stage allows utility lands to double up.

The ETBs on our utility lands don't trigger on Thespian Stage activations. The Stage is already on the field.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by ashent View Post
    >I forget sometimes that Stage allows utility lands to double up.

The ETBs on our utility lands don't trigger on Thespian Stage activations. The Stage is already on the field.
    Of course. I only meant Maze of Ith, Ghost Quarter, opposing Wastelands, Dryad Arbor, Mishra's Factory, etc.
    Brainstorm Realist

Thread Information