Page 157 of 166 FirstFirst ... 57107147153154155156157158159160161 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,140 of 3301

Thread: [Deck] Turbo Depths

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Re: [DTB] Turbo Depths

I'm fairly locked in right now with my list, but I have a Bitterblossom available. I just don't know what matchup its good against (and Maze of Ith doesn't do the job as well or better.) Those are the 2 cards I'm debating for the 75th card. I think you're spot on, it does a lot for the deck.

I was also big on Bitterblossom when DRS was legal. It was a way to add just a couple cards and be a legitimate mid-range value deck. DRS, Confidant, and Bitterblossom were huge in control matchups.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I just don't know what matchup its good against (and Maze of Ith doesn't do the job as well or better.)
    Miracles and Grixis Control. Maze of Ith can't become a clock.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Quote Originally Posted by filln View Post
    Miracles and Grixis Control. Maze of Ith can't become a clock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety

I'm fairly locked in right now with my list, but I have a Bitterblossom available. I just don't know what matchup its good against (and Maze of Ith doesn't do the job as well or better.) Those are the 2 cards I'm debating for the 75th card. I think you're spot on, it does a lot for the deck.
    It's noteworthy that when you're fighting Lands/Gurmag/Delver/D&T; Bitterblossom can't be wastelanded (or ported.)

I don't mind Karakas/Maze as a way to fight off Lages but I definitely would *never* say it's stronger than Blossom at doing it. Any Wasteland deck (Delver, D&T, Lands, etc.) can get out from under it. As a long-time fan of KotR I've seen a lot of matches fall through Maze when I thought I was safe. D&T and Lands can also Port it, and D&T can Flick-it as well. That's not to say Maze is bad, but it's a lot less reliable in practice when you notice the prevalence of Wasteland vs the prevalence of main-deck enchant hate

best of lucky though! Maze is a fun/great card
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

the role of maze is too be wasted so that you can combo off safely when you don't have the needle on wasteland.

if they don't waste you can slow them down by copying it with stage, and if they waste fine one less waste for your combo.

bitterblossom can't be fetched by your millions of land tutors.

maze shld be played at least a one off, i have been happy with the second one cutting a needle for it, maze does often a better job here.

there is no reason not to play maze, and i think 2 is the right number

Hey all, I recently got some dark depths and am looking to try this deck out! I have read the thread and think I’m most interested in the bug version with mox diamond (as I have these cards in paper).

Are people still on this version, or are most people on straight bg? I don’t own confidants so I am trying to shy away from those versions. Any technology for the bug version I should be aware of? Praise marit lage, hope to see some folks at scg Syracuse!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by grimfield View Post
    Hey all, I recently got some dark depths and am looking to try this deck out! I have read the thread and think I’m most interested in the bug version with mox diamond (as I have these cards in paper).

Are people still on this version, or are most people on straight bg? I don’t own confidants so I am trying to shy away from those versions. Any technology for the bug version I should be aware of? Praise marit lage, hope to see some folks at scg Syracuse!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The biggest draw to BUG is the engine of loam and brainstorm plus loam plus ceohalid coliseum.
    And Leo

Dec 2015
    Bensalem, PA

Quote Originally Posted by grimfield View Post

Quote Originally Posted by JackaBo View Post
    The biggest draw to BUG is the engine of loam and brainstorm plus loam plus ceohalid coliseum.
    And Leo
    Not sure whether they are talking about BUG Depths or the BUG Lands list (aka Baxter BUG) you mention above. If you are talking about Depths, I can send you a link to the current list + a SB guide.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Tournament had 24 players, 5 rounds, cut to top 8. I went 3/2 beating Rector-Fit, Grixis Death's Shadow, and Ub Omni-Tell. Lost to Moon Stompy and Eldrazi Stompy. Nic Fit and Grixis DS were very lopsided, 2-0 smashes. Omni-Tell had me losing g1 and getting a glut of discard into Surgical/combo g2. G3 was a grind, but i got there in turns.

I won g1 against moon stompy with a fast t2 combo (urborg, dd, hexmage, gg.) G2 i got hit with t1 Magus of the Moon, i had no basics but i had petal/ssg for the decay but don't draw it. G3 i see t1 moon, t2 rabblemaster and i get beat up quick. I kept a hand with basics but again didn't find outs. I even had a Bob but it got nailed with Chandra after drawing only 1 extra card (nonbasic land.)

Eldrazi was tough g1 as he drew his 1-of Karakas. I had the answer but i couldn't fight off Endbringer (a card i was unfamiliar with, to say the least.) G2 i punch through with a couple of lucksack names from therapy, chalice t1 and Endbringer t4. I grind through double TKS because i had a pure lands package and i get there. G3 sees too fast of a start and TKS doing bad things to my tutors in hand. This matchup in particular had me wanting Assassins Trophy to deal with Endbringer and TKS. I'll have to pick them up.

Fun day, i blasted through people with 20/20's and feel like i could have edged out the eldrazi matchup if i had access to Asstrophy and more familiarity with Endbringer. I ended up around 12th after tiebreakers.

Maze of Ith is out, it did not perform well enough. It was always a card that made me not-lose rather than win. I cut it for the 4th ESG. There were a few games where i could have shaved a full turn off or even sneak out a win if i had just 1 more mana source.

EDIT: I stone-cold murdered the Rector Fit player with a Surgical Extraction on his Academy Rector. It pays to have niche card knowledge, and he wasn't aware of the interaction. Luckily the judge was on the right side of history and confirmed it; my opponent was clueless about it.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by JackaBo View Post
    And Leo
    This might be the wrong thread for you.
    Solnox on MTGO

Miracles is a good matchup for depths. Quote me on this

Griselbrand is not an interesting creature.

Dread it. Run from it. Marit Lage still arrives

EDIT: I stone-cold murdered the Rector Fit player with a Surgical Extraction on his Academy Rector. It pays to have niche card knowledge, and he wasn't aware of the interaction. Luckily the judge was on the right side of history and confirmed it; my opponent was clueless about it.
    Care to elaborate? I think I'm missing something about the interaction...

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Darklingske View Post
    Care to elaborate? I think I'm missing something about the interaction...
    EDIT for clarity and to clean up a mess.

603.4. A triggered ability may read "When/Whenever/At [trigger event], if [condition], [effect]." When the trigger event occurs, the ability checks whether the stated condition is true. The ability triggers only if it is; otherwise it does nothing. If the ability triggers, it checks the stated condition again as it resolves. If the condition isn't true at that time, the ability is removed from the stack and does nothing. Note that this mirrors the check for legal targets. This rule is referred to as the "intervening 'if' clause" rule. (The word "if" has only its normal English meaning anywhere else in the text of a card; this rule only applies to an "if" that immediately follows a trigger condition.)
    Academy Rector
    Last edited by Mr. Safety; 02-05-2019 at 07:35 AM.
    Brainstorm Realist

Oh, right! I missed the may part. Thanks for the clarification!

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Edit: I think this works because its a trigger that follows-up with a 'may' activated ability. You respond to the dies trigger, exile the rector, the activated ability can't work because rector cannot be exiled to the ability.
    The important part is the "if you do". You should really read into MTG's trigger rules and what an activated ability is. You seem to confuse those two a lot.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    The important part is the "if you do". You should really read into MTG's trigger rules and what an activated ability is. You seem to confuse those two a lot.
    EDIT: I edited my post, it should be much cleaner now.
    Last edited by Mr. Safety; 02-05-2019 at 07:35 AM.
    Brainstorm Realist

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Darklingske View Post
    Oh, right! I missed the may part. Thanks for the clarification!
    Even without the may part it would still be able to be disrupted. See comp-rule above.
    Brainstorm Realist

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

I agree, it trips me up. In my defense it's a fairly obscure intervening 'if' clause, something that rarely comes up. My opponent playing the deck didn't know it was possible. Said opponent has been playing magic a long time. If you know the comprehensive trigger rules in every situation you're either a judge or uncommonly knowledgeable. Congratulations? Maybe I shouldn't, but I rely on judges for the fine print explanations for rare/complicated interactions.
    Sure, but if you play Magic for a couple of years, you should really know the difference between an activated ability (<cost>:<effect>) and a triggered ability (<when/whenever/at><condition><effect>).

And I do...I'm not sure where the comment stems from. I had a hard time explaining Academy Rector, sure. Where did I get it wrong before between this easily discernible difference? I'm willing to admit I've probably goofed it up in the past. On the surface Rector looks like a trigger followed by an activated ability. I didn't know it was an intervening-if-clause, but now I do. I mean, what is your goal here? Rules shaming? Calling me a noob? I don't understand the angle. Am I annoying you?
    Let's all chill and just take this as a learning experience for anyone else who happens upon this thread. To be clear, there is no activated ability component of Rector. Perhaps the discussion became pointed because people who play with Dark Depths are especially attuned to the rules around triggered abilities (especially state-based triggers). The way Rector works is similar to when an opponent Wastelands the Dark Depths with zero counters on it. Check to see if there are zero counters (or if Rector entered the graveyard), then if you're able to sacrifice it (or exile it, for Rector) you get to do fun things. If something happens in between through Wasteland for Depths or Surgical fo Rector, no fun happens.

Anyway, Depths made it into Top 4 of the Baltimore Team Open (unclear on personal record): http://www.starcitygames.com/decks/126720 as well as 16th at the Classic: http://www.starcitygames.com/decks/126837. Nothing too spicy, seems to be the standard non-Turbo BG lists.

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

And I do...I'm not sure where the comment stems from. I had a hard time explaining Academy Rector, sure. Where did I get it wrong before between this easily discernible difference? I'm willing to admit I've probably goofed it up in the past. On the surface Rector looks like a trigger followed by an activated ability. I didn't know it was an intervening-if-clause, but now I do. I mean, what is your goal here? Rules shaming? Calling me a noob? I don't understand the angle. Am I annoying you?
    Since you ask me where you got it wrong:
    Edit: I think this works because its a trigger that follows-up with a 'may' activated ability. You respond to the dies trigger, exile the rector, the activated ability can't work because rector cannot be exiled to the ability.
    Needle on Ichorid slows them down quite a bit too.
    My goal is that people (in this case you) get better at understanding the rules, which leads to better posts in here. So no need, to get agitated.

filln mentions a good example of how this knowledge translates to Dark Depths. I've also seen people needling Dark Depths...

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Point taken, thanks.

If I may, I'd like to ask others how they approach the Eldrazi matchup. I felt like I should have been able to pull out the match but I just didn't get there (I'm sure I made mistakes.) I felt like I had to work through the roadblocks and then combo quickly or I was toast, Eldarzi seems very aggressive. From what I've seen in just those 3 games I think I should mulligan aggressively, just a pure race rather than trying to interact too much with Chalice/Endbringer. It looks like Eldrazi took 7th in Baltimore and Depths took 4th.

https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=21066&d=339961&f=LE
    Brainstorm Realist

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    I've also seen people needling Dark Depths...
    To be fair, that still does something. You're correct that in most cases it's not the optimal choice; but it does prevent one version of the win condition (and I have on exceptionally rare occasions seen that occur in lands)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Thread Information