Page 134 of 166 FirstFirst ... 3484124130131132133134135136137138144 ... LastLast
Results 2,661 to 2,680 of 3301

Thread: [Deck] Turbo Depths

Re: [DTB] Turbo Depths

Going to be going live on my stream in around 10 minutes, testing some new configurations of the sideboard.

twitch.tv/dnsolver
    If you're wondering how I produce blue mana, I copy my opponent's Island with Thespian's Stage

My Youtube and Twitch usernames are DNSolver.

I am the Legacy metagame:

-2016 Eternal Weekend Europe won by BR Reanimator (I wrote the primer)
    -2016 Eternal Weekend North America won by Turbo Dark Depths (I write about and develop the winning version specifically)
    -Refiner of Hogaak Depths.

Hi, I would like to have some impressions about turbo depths, slow depths and br reanimator (off topic?).
    I'm a D&T player but I would like to build a new deck to variate and have fun but also to bring it to some tournament.
    Recently I have played br reanimator and turbo depths online and I found that turbo depths have some very bad matchup (miracles, d&t, red stompy). Reanimator seems to me a little "better" because pratically you "start" the match 1-0 and seems a less matchup-dependent deck. Maybe on G2 depths is better suited.
    How is "low" depths going? What are your impressions?
    Unfortunately I can't afford to build both reanimator and depths (here in europe prices are increasing day after day, unfortunately i'm not joking).

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

If anyone is interested, I'll mention it again: I put aside my dorky fringe ideas and dedicated the thread to the Slow Depths version of the deck. Primer is in the middle of updates, it has the version from Eternal Weekend listed atm.

link:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...165-Bob-Depths
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    If anyone is interested, I'll mention it again: I put aside my dorky fringe ideas and dedicated the thread to the Slow Depths version of the deck. Primer is in the middle of updates, it has the version from Eternal Weekend listed atm.

link:

<3
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by solnox View Post
    @apple feel free to use my/jdms sb guide in the primer. I havent updated it in a while but it should still be mostly relevant. 2 months isn't a long time but the rise of mono red prison needs some looking at
    I need something I can just copy paste into the primer, I don't want to try and reformat that all.

link:

If there is another list I need to add to the primer please LMK.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Sorry I missed this! Here is the de-facto list most folks are starting with; it won Eternal Weekend and won a Legacy MTGO Challenge. Main differences are using Deathrite /Confidant over faster mana (Petal, ESG), maindeck Abrupt Decay (cutting Sylvan Scrying/Expedition Maps) and sideboarding 'fairer' cards in the board like Bitterblossom, Choke, etc.

25 LANDS
    2 Bayou
    1 Bojuka Bog
    4 Dark Depths
    2 Forest
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Sejiri Steppe
    2 Swamp
    4 Thespian's Stage
    3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Wooded Foothills

14 CREATURES
    3 Dark Confidant
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Sylvan Safekeeper
    4 Vampire Hexmage

17 INSTANTS and SORC.
    3 Abrupt Decay
    4 Crop Rotation
    4 Duress
    2 Sylvan Scrying
    4 Thoughtseize

4 OTHER SPELLS
    3 Pithing Needle
    1 Sylvan Library

SIDEBOARD

1 Bitterblossom
    1 Choke
    1 Dread of Night
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Karakas
    1 Krosan Grip
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    1 Marsh Casualties
    1 Maze of Ith
    2 Rite of Consumption
    3 Surgical Extraction
    1 Toxic Deluge
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Sorry I missed this! Here is the de-facto list most folks are starting with; it won Eternal Weekend and won a Legacy MTGO Challenge. Main differences are using Deathrite /Confidant over faster mana (Petal, ESG), maindeck Abrupt Decay (cutting Sylvan Scrying/Expedition Maps) and sideboarding 'fairer' cards in the board like Bitterblossom, Choke, etc.

25 LANDS
    2 Bayou
    1 Bojuka Bog
    4 Dark Depths
    2 Forest
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Sejiri Steppe
    2 Swamp
    4 Thespian's Stage
    3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Wooded Foothills

14 CREATURES
    3 Dark Confidant
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Sylvan Safekeeper
    4 Vampire Hexmage

17 INSTANTS and SORC.
    3 Abrupt Decay
    4 Crop Rotation
    4 Duress
    2 Sylvan Scrying
    4 Thoughtseize

4 OTHER SPELLS
    3 Pithing Needle
    1 Sylvan Library

SIDEBOARD

1 Bitterblossom
    1 Choke
    1 Dread of Night
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Karakas
    1 Krosan Grip
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    1 Marsh Casualties
    1 Maze of Ith
    2 Rite of Consumption
    3 Surgical Extraction
    1 Toxic Deluge
    How would you build a board for slow Depths with a ton of DnT and storm in the meta?

Starting an 8 week league and I think I’m playing Depths.

I’m currently looking at Lost Legacy as combo hate that doubles against Swords decks.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post
    How would you build a board for slow Depths with a ton of DnT and storm in the meta?

Starting an 8 week league and I think I’m playing Depths.

I’m currently looking at Lost Legacy as combo hate that doubles against Swords decks.
    Storm should be covered with the 8 discard, 3 Surgicals, and Crop Rotation > Bojuka Bog.

If I expected a bunch of D&T I would drop the Choke and add a 2nd Dread of Night, and drop the Krosan Grip for another Marsh Casualties. KGrip loses a lot of appeal in the board when you already have 3x Abrupt Decay maindeck.

Alternatively, if you see a lot of Miracles/Czech Pile I would cut the KGrip and Liliana for another Choke and Bitterblossom.

Those are my thoughts. I don't understand the Grafdigger's Cage option; Bog/Deathrite/Surgical should be enough. Elves/Maverick/Nic Fit use GSZ but I don't see that as truly matchups to board heavily for. They are a small part of the metagame, and the fair plan of Abrupt Decay and Pithing Needle should deal with Knight of the Reliquary/Wasteland. Elves can be handled with targeted discard, Deluge, and Casualties. So you could drop the Cage for any of the above cards I mentioned, in my opinion.
    Brainstorm Realist

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Storm should be covered with the 8 discard, 3 Surgicals, and Crop Rotation > Bojuka Bog.

If I expected a bunch of D&T I would drop the Choke and add a 2nd Dread of Night, and drop the Krosan Grip for another Marsh Casualties. KGrip loses a lot of appeal in the board when you already have 3x Abrupt Decay maindeck.

Alternatively, if you see a lot of Miracles/Czech Pile I would cut the KGrip and Liliana for another Choke and Bitterblossom.

Those are my thoughts. I don't understand the Grafdigger's Cage option; Bog/Deathrite/Surgical should be enough. Elves/Maverick/Nic Fit use GSZ but I don't see that as truly matchups to board heavily for. They are a small part of the metagame, and the fair plan of Abrupt Decay and Pithing Needle should deal with Knight of the Reliquary/Wasteland. Elves can be handled with targeted discard, Deluge, and Casualties. So you could drop the Cage for any of the above cards I mentioned, in my opinion.
    I was also going to cut the rites.

Do you find them justified?

3 surgical
    2 Tracker
    2 Choke
    2 Dread of Night
    2 Toxic Deluge
    2 Liliana, the last hope
    1 Karakas
    1 Maze of ith

Something like this? Delver/DnT/Blue Meta.

Stupid sideboards. I guess the rites have to stay in to beat ensnaring bridge?

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post
    I was also going to cut the rites.

Do you find them justified?
    YES. I find them especially good against Miracles and to a smaller extent Czech Pile/other decks with Jace, because you can make a token and sacrifice it immediately to win on the spot. Playing around Jace and Terminus is hard enough already, you need an out to those. Remember that sacrificing Marit Lage is part of the cost of Rite, so they can't counter it with bounce, Swords to Plowshares, or Terminus. Diabolic Edict is also one of the most common ways to deal with Marit Lage out of Grixis Delver/Czech Pile, even to the point that some lists are maindecking it. Rites can also win on the spot against Lingering Souls tokens, Baleful Strix, or anything else blocking the path (and you don't have Sejiri Steppe or Crop Rotation available.) Dragon Stompy and other stompy variants are packing Ensnaring Bridge quite often, another problematic card (although mitigated slightly with Abrupt Decay maindeck.)

TL;DR - I would always have 2x Rites in my sideboard regardless of which version I was playing. It's just too important to have a non-combat way to win.
    Brainstorm Realist

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

YES. I find them especially good against Miracles and to a smaller extent Czech Pile/other decks with Jace, because you can make a token and sacrifice it immediately to win on the spot. Playing around Jace and Terminus is hard enough already, you need an out to those. Remember that sacrificing Marit Lage is part of the cost of Rite, so they can't counter it with bounce, Swords to Plowshares, or Terminus. Diabolic Edict is also one of the most common ways to deal with Marit Lage out of Grixis Delver/Czech Pile, even to the point that some lists are maindecking it. Rites can also win on the spot against Lingering Souls tokens, Baleful Strix, or anything else blocking the path (and you don't have Sejiri Steppe or Crop Rotation available.) Dragon Stompy and other stompy variants are packing Ensnaring Bridge quite often, another problematic card (although mitigated slightly with Abrupt Decay maindeck.)

TL;DR - I would always have 2x Rites in my sideboard regardless of which version I was playing. It's just too important to have a non-combat way to win.
    This is the first real deck where I felt I didn’t have enough sideboard space in a while....

How do you feel about the 3x Bitterblossom + Cabal Therapy board?
    Last edited by lavafrogg; 06-15-2018 at 04:45 PM.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Jody Kieth was doing that. With 8 discard already in the main I feel like it is overkill. If you were confident in your metagame I would consider some cut of duress/seize for therapy, maybe. The 3x Bitterblossom seems very good in a meta filled with miracles/pile, but otherwise seems like 1 too many. As you say, space is limited.

Edit: I think it's the trackers clogging your sideboard. I think its either a maindeck card or none, just my opinion. Your card advantage comes from confidant.
    Brainstorm Realist

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Jody Kieth was doing that. With 8 discard already in the main I feel like it is overkill. If you were confident in your metagame I would consider some cut of duress/seize for therapy, maybe. The 3x Bitterblossom seems very good in a meta filled with miracles/pile, but otherwise seems like 1 too many. As you say, space is limited.

Edit: I think it's the trackers clogging your sideboard. I think its either a maindeck card or none, just my opinion. Your card advantage comes from confidant.
    Went with:

+1 Dark Confidant -1 Sylvan Scrying main

With a sideboard of:

2 Surgical
    2 Rites
    1 Tireless Tracker
    1 Abrupt Decay
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Marsh Casulties
    1 Grafdigger’s Cage
    1 Bitterblossom
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    1 Karakas
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Choke
    1 Dread of Night

I cut the surgical as I think we have a fine GY matchup and a bad storm matchup no matter what we do. 8 discard + 5 “bobs” has to be good enough if I play the guy that can count to 10.

I play legacy and I have a main deck (D&T) and a "just for fun" deck (burn), but i would like to build turbo/slow depths avoiding bayou. I can still play local tournaments with a budget version and i have some friends that can borrow me bayou for bigger events.

Anyone tried some cheap manabase for turbo or slow depths?

I feel that for the turbo version is better going the fastland/painland way while in the slower version fetches are needed (shaman) so i have to play 2 shocklands.
    Basically, where life total counts more (slow depths), I have to pay more life points, not so good.

What do you think? I'm just searching for a good compromise.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Blooming Marsh, 6-7 fetchlands, at least 2 each of basic forest/swamp, and play 2-3 urborgs. Should be fine. The first priority should be to get a bayou though.
    Brainstorm Realist

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I play legacy and I have a main deck (D&T) and a "just for fun" deck (burn), but i would like to build turbo/slow depths avoiding bayou. I can still play local tournaments with a budget version and i have some friends that can borrow me bayou for bigger events.

Anyone tried some cheap manabase for turbo or slow depths?

I feel that for the turbo version is better going the fastland/painland way while in the slower version fetches are needed (shaman) so i have to play 2 shocklands.
    Basically, where life total counts more (slow depths), I have to pay more life points, not so good.

What do you think? I'm just searching for a good compromise.
    i eventually got fetchlands and bayous, but was using bunch of cheap stuff including llanowar wastes, mana confluence, gemstone mines, and city of brass. fetchlands not always optimal as someimes you can be punished if good draws coming and you shuffle them away. games where i losing to things like griselbrand aint because of some land dmg.

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...Spoilers/page4

ALpine moon is a good reaso to splash red right ? It is basically needle 4-8 against wasteland
    which is the main reason we are losing against tempo.

It is also very good in the mirror I guess.

Mar 2013
    Cologne, Germany

Our matchup against Delver is great anyway, so there shouldn't be a need for another SB card.

Karakas, Wasteland, Maze of Ith, and being able to hate out opposing Dark Depths decks (name Dark Depths and they can't even copy your own Depths with a Stage).
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Karakas, Wasteland, Maze of Ith, and being able to hate out opposing Dark Depths decks (name Dark Depths and they can't even copy your own Depths with a Stage).
    All things which, aside from Dark Depths, can be addressed with Pithing Needle/Sylvan Safekeeper. I think there are better options to battle the mirror/Lands than splashing for red.

Thread Information