Page 118 of 166 FirstFirst ... 1868108114115116117118119120121122128 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,360 of 3301

Thread: [Deck] Turbo Depths

Re: [Deck] Dark Depths

Quote Originally Posted by Elfkid View Post
    Okay, makes sense, it will be awesome to check sideboard guides even if they are "old" just to get an idea about sb, sometimes i side out the safekeepers and then i miss them so much xD
    Vs Elves with my list:

-3 Sylvan Safekeeper
    -Bojuka Bog and Steppe as needed
    +1 Pithing Needle
    +2-4 Abrupt Decay (more if you see Pithing Needle out of them)

However, most of the "sideboarding" decisions are actually in the hands you keep that don't have sideboard cards in that matchup. Typically turn 2 Hexmage hands are fast enough on the play, on the draw you might get discarded so I would have a discard spell of my own or a backup plan of some sort if possible.
    If you're wondering how I produce blue mana, I copy my opponent's Island with Thespian's Stage

My Youtube and Twitch usernames are DNSolver.

I am the Legacy metagame:

-2016 Eternal Weekend Europe won by BR Reanimator (I wrote the primer)
    -2016 Eternal Weekend North America won by Turbo Dark Depths (I write about and develop the winning version specifically)
    -Refiner of Hogaak Depths.

Jan 2014
    Spain

Quote Originally Posted by DNSolver View Post
    Vs Elves with my list:

-3 Sylvan Safekeeper
    -Bojuka Bog and Steppe as needed
    +1 Pithing Needle
    +2-4 Abrupt Decay (more if you see Pithing Needle out of them)

However, most of the "sideboarding" decisions are actually in the hands you keep that don't have sideboard cards in that matchup. Typically turn 2 Hexmage hands are fast enough on the play, on the draw you might get discarded so I would have a discard spell of my own or a backup plan of some sort if possible.
    Thanks for the answer :)

Today I did 4-1 and 4-1

W vs BR reanimator
    W vs Ad nauseam
    L vs Grixis delver
    W vs Czech pile
    W vs bug delver

2nd league

W vs D&T
    L vs esper delver (he chained 3 topdecks in a row)
    W vs Czech pile
    W vs D&T
    W vs food chain (turn 1 Marit on the play game 3 xD )

Deck is cool and pretty good, I think I’m not playing the delver MU properly... any advice?

And DnSolver are you going to stream with this deck? I personally have an awesome time when you are streaming tin fins so this will be awesome!

Thanks for all!

I'll stream some once I'm done with GP toronto prep.

As for Delver, the MU is 85:15, with most losses coming down to being (1) wastelanded out or (2) edicted

Going up now.

twitch.tv/dnsolver
    If you're wondering how I produce blue mana, I copy my opponent's Island with Thespian's Stage

-2016 Eternal Weekend North America won by Turbo Dark Depths (I write about and develop the winning version specifically)

Site Contributor
    Oct 2014
    Melbourne, Australia.

Going up now.

twitch.tv/dnsolver
    I was the Goblins player that was supposed to be a bye for you.

I think you should settle down on the rudeness while streaming - some people (like me) play multiple Legacy decks and also have pet decks that they enjoy. Being condescending about your opponent's deck doesn't make them look bad, it makes you look like a dickhead.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Dat 1/1 with built in pump. Watch out Griselbrand here comes lizard mid range.
    Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Is this a troll or are gobbos really dtb?

Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post

I think you should settle down on the rudeness while streaming - some people (like me) play multiple Legacy decks and also have pet decks that they enjoy. Being condescending about your opponent's deck doesn't make them look bad, it makes you look like a dickhead.
    i saw the game... and it was very funny when the guys loses to a bye deck LUL

Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post

Hey Steve, I was also in chat for the stream and apologize for anything I may have said that offended you. I appreciate the goblins love :-) I think there were a couple times where you misused Wasteland--either firing it off too early or tapping it down to play a goblin, which opened yourself up to the combo. Game 3 you pulled out impressively, hope to see ya around.

ALSO, DNSolver, that was wicked fun playing then going back and watching it from your side. I'm annoyed I made that game-losing mistake game 2--I knew it as soon as I put Scrying on the stack. Also we saw different little ways around what each other was doing. For example, I didn't even think that you could respond to me copying your depths by sacking it to Safekeeper, though I've used that before in different matchups. Also, you were worried I was going to copy your Depths, but not seeing that if I did there was a way you could've killed me. But yeah, very interesting playing you in the mirror, and even more interesting watching it from your side as well. Thanks for streaming man.

I was wondering about your opinions on my current SB.
    4 Abrupt Decay [Not questioning, often the only card I board]
    1 Karakas [Not questioning]
    Lets talk about those:
    2 Sylvan Library [none MD, I often got 1 or even 2 stuck in hand while playing 3]
    3 Surgical Extraction [Maybe the right amount is 2, I often would like it to be another card.]
    3 Sphere of Resistance [Maybe 4 is the right number, but I draw to often more than one. I like it more than Mindbreak Trap, because there is more discard than bounce and its a litte more versatile. They can't keep the discard for the combo turn, rip the Mindbreak Trap out of our hand and go off. I think Chalice is a little worse, it shuts down at least 18 cards in my deck.]
    1 GQ [Many of you may doubt it, but having 2 MD after boarding was many times golden.]
    1 Bitterblossom [Maybe it should be a Surgical or Sylvan Library. But I think its better as 3 Sylvan Library against miracles. (And maybe against D&T? I never have had it in play against D&T yet)]

I'm looking forward to get some fresh ideas.

[QUOTE=Izza;1035303]I was wondering about your opinions on my current SB.
    4 Abrupt Decay [Not questioning, often the only card I board]
    1 Karakas [Not questioning]

I tried Karakas couple times and didn't do much for me, so I took it out. Maybe good to question that too...

-If it in against Lage not sure if that useful as approx 7% of field.
    -Not produce color need.
    -Vs. Griselbrand they still drawing right.
    -Not much application vs Miracle, D&T. In lands & D&T might needle Karakas.

What times are you guys finding it was worth the slot vs another card?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSouth View Post
    What times are you guys finding it was worth the slot vs another card?
    -Bounce emrakul out of show and tell
    -Bounce thalia if you are low on mana
    -Bounce against reanimator after bojuka bog is gone
    -Bounce the only blocker if it is e.g. Clique

The times where you want Karakas, you absolutely NEED Karakas.

Mostly for Show and Tell in my experience.

I might try out the dryad arbor on mtgo but I sold my paper ones and won't be able to upcoming large tournaments.

I like the idea of a split of Sphere/Thorns.
    Solnox on MTGO

Miracles is a good matchup for depths. Quote me on this

Griselbrand is not an interesting creature.

Dread it. Run from it. Marit Lage still arrives

I've been pretty impressed with Rio's play on camera right now (R9). Played 2nd Land, Crop Rot right away and opponent Forces, clearing the way for Pithing Needle naming the Stoneforge that fetched Batterskull the previous turn.

Edit: In G2 Rio did misplay the turn he made Marit Lage by not attacking with the Hexmage before making the guy.

Edit 2: SCG Philadelphia coverage.
    Last edited by DNSolver; 01-28-2018 at 09:21 AM.

Nov 2007
    Finland

I've been pretty impressed with Rio's play on camera right now (R9). Played 2nd Land, Crop Rot right away and opponent Forces, clearing the way for Pithing Needle naming the Stoneforge that fetched Batterskull the previous turn.

Edit: In G2 Rio did misplay the turn he made Marit Lage by not attacking with the Hexmage before making the guy.
    For the sake of discussion, would you be so kind to tell which tournament and stream you mean?
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Oh, this is SCG Philadelphia that's going on this weekend that I was referring to. Updating post.

Quote Originally Posted by jdmdave View Post
    I'll stream some once I'm done with GP toronto prep.

As for Delver, the MU is 85:15, with most losses coming down to being (1) wastelanded out or (2) edicted
    Out of curiosity, as a depths player, what decks do you favor in modern? Personally been trying to find something to enjoy lately.

@caseyc:

Notice you've been killing it lately, I was thinking of picking up the deck on modo. Is the extirpate a choice or a budget option?

I just played this deck for the first time in a MTGO Legacy challenge and got top 4 losing the mirror match to DNSolver. I realized I have no clue how to play the mirror match. Any tips?

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Edit 2: SCG Philadelphia coverage.
    This actually sounds like the force of will was a misplay because a t2 crop rotation is not threatening unless its agains a graveyard based deck for Bojuka bog. However, if depths player was showing stage or urborg as the other land that is a different story. Because that situation suggests a t3 token from land drops that cannot be countered. Once lifegain from batterskull starts to happen the game tends to go downhill.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Ended up getting 2nd in the Legacy Challenge. Rixile already posted above wondering how to play the mirror match, having fought me in the semifinals. I personally play it pretty conservatively, but I know others who mulligan pretty aggressively looking for a pretty quick win. In the mirror, it obviously helps to have card advantage engines like Sylvan Library or Dark Confidant, and to have all your tutors be able to fetch anything (so Map over Into the North). It's usually bad to play Depths out.

As far as other matchups:

R1: Miracles 2-0
    R2: UB Standstill 1-2
    R3: Lands 2-1
    R4: D+T 2-1
    R5: Czech Pile 2-0
    R6: Eldrazi 2-1 (G1 kept a no-tutor hand with action, never drew a tutor)
    Quarters: UB Standstill (same guy) 2-1
    Semifinals: Turbo Depths mirror 2-0
    Finals: Red D+T 2-1 (won G1, lost G2 fair and square, G3 kept a pretty greedy hand that didn't pan out, and punted I think)

The greedy hand in the finals was:
    Bayou
    Depths
    Hexmage
    Pithing Needle
    Sylvan Scrying
    Sylvan Safekeeper
    Sylvan Library

I figured that any land would allow me to scrying, any crop rotation would result in a pretty fast win through turn 1 Safekeeper (which is what I did). I then drew Duress and for some reason cast that and missed on everything instead of Needleing my opponent's Rishadan Port they had played, though they also had Wasteland. Port bought my opponent tons of time and I drew Steppe and nothing until I got Magus'd out.

Kind of a disappointing end to my run through play mistakes of my own, but my win rate only dropped 2.2% down to 82.8%.

Quote Originally Posted by chrstphrbrnnn View Post
    Out of curiosity, as a depths player, what decks do you favor in modern? Personally been trying to find something to enjoy lately.

@caseyc:

Notice you've been killing it lately, I was thinking of picking up the deck on modo. Is the extirpate a choice or a budget option?
    Yeah, it is a budget choice. I just bought into MTGO a few weeks ago and wasn't sure how much I'd like it, so I went with some budget options. The version I play in paper has 2x Collective Brutality (1MD, 1 SB), a Surgical SB, and a Grafdigger's Cage SB. But all those cards were overpriced on MTGO so I just made do. However, Extirpate does have some advantages. Primarily against Lands, Extirpate negates their ability to cycle a land or pop a Horizon Canopy to dredge Loam in response. Also there are some corner cases against Storm where the split second can really mess them up. But overall, Surgical is the way to go.

@Rixile I agree with DNSolver that the best approach is to be quite conservative. In my experience, which is still somewhat limited, but better now because I started playing on MTGO, the player who tries to combo first loses, unless they have properly set up and know for sure their opponent can do nothing. Sylvan Library is great, Karakas is great, and I bring in Rite of Consumption. I keep in all the Needles, and bring in Decays and Grip to deal with opposing Needles and Libraries. Often, you end up getting into a stalemate where you start attacking with ESGs and Hexmages. Sometimes you can tell what angle of combo your opponent is going for and Needle them. Or Needle everything and start swinging with little dudes :-)

@DNSolver congrats on the Top2 finish :-) Depths also did well at SCG Philly it looked like, though I wasn't able to watch it. Glad to see it making strong showings in so many events.

I'm #3 on the Modern Competitive League Leaderboard (5 5-0s) with BR Hollow One.

Thread Information