Page 71 of 166 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581121 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 3301

Thread: [Deck] Turbo Depths

Re: [Deck] Dark Depths

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    He probably brought them in to combat a non-existent Loam strategy.
    Yeah you're definitely right. It's funny how many times after a paper game opponents will educate me on my utter stupidity at not running loam in the deck.

Mar 2015
    Paris

Quote Originally Posted by solnox View Post
    Just 5-0d for the first time :)

Tabernacle was clutch in my last match against elves where I drew nothing but fast mana and held him off long enough to win.

my list should up tomorrow or something
    Solnox, so you decided to cut ITN for 2 Libraries.

I was thinking the same and I'm testing it in the current League (2-0 for now).

I'm liking it because for the good matchups I feel already quick enough, and for the other matchups I always feel better with SL.

I dont like Into the North at all after playing it a bunch. Card always felt pretty bad drawing it and I'd rather have a 2nd library than it.

I'm most likely going to be bringing this deck to CFB's 3k this sunday. Hopefully I don't encounter the swarms of DnT that usually show up there.

Sylvan Library out of the board is pretty good vs D+T.

I have been sideboarding on the play:

-8 fast mana
    -1 Bojuka Bog
    +4 Abrupt Decay
    +3 Sylvan Library
    +1 Pithing Needle
    +1 Karakas

On the draw I could see keeping in some fast mana over Libraries, as they are much worse vs. Thalia on turn 2.
    If you're wondering how I produce blue mana, I copy my opponent's Island with Thespian's Stage

My Youtube and Twitch usernames are DNSolver.

I am the Legacy metagame:

-2016 Eternal Weekend Europe won by BR Reanimator (I wrote the primer)
    -2016 Eternal Weekend North America won by Turbo Dark Depths (I write about and develop the winning version specifically)
    -Refiner of Hogaak Depths.

Hey guys,

I just built Turbo Depths, cause why not, and ran it in a competitive league on MTGO. Finished 2-3 which was disappointing, so I'm looking for some tips on the deck. This was my first time running it. List here: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/580783#paper

Round 1: Storm (2-1 win)
    Game 1 I had two pieces of discard and a turn 4 marit lage. Game 2 got combo'd turn 3. Game 3 had a turn 1 Lost Legacy with Petal + ESG, opponent scooped.

Sideboarding: -3 Not of this World, -3 Pithing Needle, -1 Sejiri Steppe, +3 Dark Confidant, +2 Surgical, +2 Lost Legacy

Round 2: 12-post (2-0 win)
    This was pretty easy, my hand disruption kept him from doing anything either game and his only interaction for the combo was Karakas, which was easily stopped by Needle and NotW.

Round 3: Miracles (1-2 loss)
    Here's where it started to go downhill. Game 1 I have a turn 2 marit lage with NotW protection from a swords. Game 2 he has a terminus for my 1st marit lage and then he surgicals DD. Game 3 he just has infinite answers and counters for my protection, I use up all 4 Dark Depths and lose.

Sideboarding: -4 Lotus Petal, -3 ESG, +3 Abrupt Decay, +2 Surgical, +2 Steely Resolve

Round 4: Miracles (1-2 loss)
    Very similar to the last one. I win game 1 after needling his Flooded Strand in hand, leaving him mana screwed. G2/3 he just has answers for every marit lage I make (and Wear//Tear for my Steely Resolve).

Sideboarding: Same as before

Round 5: BUG midrange with maindeck Diabolic Edict (0-2 loss)
    Got blown out by a maindeck Edict game 1, which I obviously didn't think to play around. Game 2 he surgicals my Dark Depths after wasting it. I think it was a big mistake to play out DD but I was hoping to draw into a Stage the next turn to combo. At this point I was pretty tilted, lol.

Anyone have advice on the miracles matchup? It seems nearly unwinnable unless you get really lucky like I did in game 1 both times. Otherwise they just have way too many answers between Swords/Terminus/Snap and counters for NotW. Not sure if I sideboarded correctly either, the decays didn't actually feel that necessary because this deck doesn't seem to care too much about CB. Should I have just kept in the ESG's instead? Or brought in Bobs?
    Nobody plays Legacy anymore, the tournaments are all too crowded

The Miracles matchup is very tough. Read back a few pages and you'll find some discussion. Pretty much, I am convinced that you need a pretty large number of sideboard cards coming in to make the matchup good. What are those cards? I am working on finding out. Everyone else seems to roll Miracles left and right - online there are good Miracles players who play and learn from the matchup, so it's hard to "get them" with tech once they sideboard correctly.

I'm pretty sure Decays are necessary against Miracles for:

a) Blood Moon. If you don't kill it / discard it you lose.
    b) Counterbalance. If they leave it in and play it early (but not so early you win in response), you do have a hard time.
    c) Mentor, assuming you aren't just dead to it.
    If you're wondering how I produce blue mana, I copy my opponent's Island with Thespian's Stage

-2016 Eternal Weekend North America won by Turbo Dark Depths (I write about and develop the winning version specifically)

Oct 2015
    Virginia

Just went 4-1 in a small tournament.
    Here is my list
    4x Sylvan Scrying
    2x Into the North
    4x Thoughtseize
    4x Thespian Stage
    4x Dark Depths
    1x Ghost Quarter
    1x Bojuka Bog
    1x Seijiri Steppe
    4x Crop Rotation
    4x Elvish Spirit Guide
    4x Lotus Petal
    3x Not of this World
    4x duress
    4x Vampire Hexmage
    4x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    2x Verdant Marsh
    1x Snow Covered Forest
    1x Snow Covered Swamp
    4x Blooming Marsh
    4x Pithing Needle

SB was
    2x Surgical Extraction
    1x Karakas
    2x Lost Legacy
    4x Sphere of Resistance
    2x Krosan Grip
    4x Abrupt Decay

I win every die roll in this event

Round 1 vs Eldrazi 2-0
    game 1 i see a chalice on 1 but i make a quick token and win. game 2 he gets me to 4 but i get a token and win.
    This match was very easy, no notable interactions.

Round 2 vs Grixis Delver with Stifle 2-0
    Game 1 I drop a turn 1 needle on wasteland, get a quick token and win. Game 2 he plays wasteland and needle on stage, i drop 3 hexmages over the turns and beat him down.
    my opponent stifles a hexmage activation game one, but when he goes to brainstorm at the end of my turn i make a token in response with him tapped out.

Round 3 vs Goblins 2-1
    quick token and win game 1. game two i lose to an army of goblins, he stingscorgered my token. Game 3 another quick token. discard grabbed ringleader in all 3 games.

Round 4 vs Imperial painter 2-1
    Game one i get a quick token, game 2 i get grindstoned. game 3 another quick token. Game 1 discard got rid of blood moon immediately. Discard game two showed me bridge, welder and the combo, there was no good answer.

Game 5 vs BR Reanimator 0-2
    game one was close, I got a quick token after shredding his hand with thoughtseizes, I took both his animate dead, He entombs a griselbrand anyway, I get a token right after he top decks an exhume, we pass back and forth for a while but could not find a way to get seijiri step to get past griselbrand, he ends up reanimating 2 chancellors and elesh so i die to too many flyers. game 2 he turn 1s grisel brand, turn 2 sire of insanity.

For some reason the store had cut to top 8 after the 4 rounds, and the bottom 4 players ended up winning the event and splitting. So I have nothing to show. Had a lot of fun, deck is amazingly fast, sorry for the lack of details I haven't slept yet. Going to change the lost legacy and K-grip to Faerie macabre or chalices, but the meta was such that I never needed my sideboard cards. Discard took care of everything that would have been a problem.

Edits:
    For my SB I cut the K-grip and spheres SB is now

4x Faerie Macabre - F reanimator, for one, there was no storm in the room to justify slots for it for two, and its another 3 drop body this time with flying.
    4x Root Maze - Would have made life so much easier in the few games I lost, would have loved to see this card.
    4x Abrupt Decay
    1x Karakas
    2x Surgical Extraction
    Last edited by chaosjace; 02-27-2017 at 03:33 AM.
    Now Playing:
    Dark depths
    Reanimator
    MUD
    Disclaimer: The above person does not claim to have knowledge pertaining to the following subject: anything. Thus, said person may not be held liable for any mishaps/explosions that his advice incurs.

Dec 2015
    Bensalem, PA

Quote Originally Posted by FZA View Post
    Hey guys,

Round 1: Storm (2-1 win)
    Game 1 I had two pieces of discard and a turn 4 marit lage. Game 2 got combo'd turn 3. Game 3 had a turn 1 Lost Legacy with Petal + ESG, opponent scooped.

Sideboarding: -3 Not of this World, -3 Pithing Needle, -1 Sejiri Steppe, +3 Dark Confidant, +2 Surgical, +2 Lost Legacy

Round 3: Miracles (1-2 loss)
    Here's where it started to go downhill. Game 1 I have a turn 2 marit lage with NotW protection from a swords. Game 2 he has a terminus for my 1st marit lage and then he surgicals DD. Game 3 he just has infinite answers and counters for my protection, I use up all 4 Dark Depths and lose.

Sideboarding: -4 Lotus Petal, -3 ESG, +3 Abrupt Decay, +2 Surgical, +2 Steely Resolve
    For round 1(If this was ANT), leaving in Steppe is usually a good idea since a lot of versions board in up to two copies of either Chain of Vapor or Echoing Truth(or a 1/1 split).

Your round three match was streamed by your miracles opponent here:
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/124681098

Starts at about the 200 mark.

Went 4-2-1 at Cfb's 3k today.

R1: Elves (1-2)

G1: I get killed for exactsies by Craterhoof despite having Marit Lage to block

G2: A T2 Token wrecks him.

G3: Mull to 5 and have a T3 kill. He has it T3.

R2: BR Reanimator (2-0)

G1: T1 double seize after he entombs stops him dead in his tracks. A bog drawn exiles griseldad and I slowly assemble the combo.

G2: I manage to get stage+depths on board and a land before he sires me. I draw Lotus Petal and make lage.

R3: RG Lands (2-0)

G1: I have double needle on Ghost Quarter+Wasteland. I make a lage and sneak through his copy with sejiri steppe and not of this world to protect it fromKarakas

G2: I have triple needle on GQ, Wasteland, Karakas and manage to hexmage my way to a win after an abrupt decay on his needle.

R4: Omni Tell (2-0)

G1: I rip his hand apart and he has the worst pieces of the puzzles I've ever seen in my life. I make a token and protect it from a cunning wished STP.

G2: He cantrips, I make a token and he exiles it. I manage to reassmble the combo before he can find action despite having an omni.

R5: Elves (1-2)

G1: He's on the play and T3's me.

G2: I T2 him on the play.

G3: He has the perfect pair of Therapy and a scried on top needle that I can't snag with duress. He draws Natty before I can find abrupt decay for his needle.

R6: Aggro Loam. (2-0)w

G1: Needle on Lili+Discard and scryings to assemble my combo makes short work of him.

G2: I assemble the combo after he goes for chalice on 1. I crop roto in response to make the token and let Chalice resolve so he can't plow if he has it.

R7: Goblins- ID We play for fun.

G1: I quickly kill him with the combo.

G2: Sting Scourger+Wasteland wrecks me.

G3: Same as above.

My list was basically the same as the one on mtgo except for no Tabby and +Golgari Charm in the board.

It felt fairly unlucky that I lost to elves twice and I did not play vs any plow decks which was nice.

Got 50 credit not too bad.

Just 5-0'd a league. Got some new tech in the sideboard that you guys will find tasty.

I am going to record replays of my rounds and post it to my Youtube. I will post again later tonight with a link.

Jun 2016
    Indianapolis, IN

Quote Originally Posted by DNSolver View Post
    Just 5-0'd a league. Got some new tech in the sideboard that you guys will find tasty.

I am going to record replays of my rounds and post it to my Youtube. I will post again later tonight with a link.
    Ooo, eagerly awaiting this spice and the videos.

2-2'ed a legacy side event at the SCG Indianapolis open this past weekend.

Miracles (0-1 loss)
    -I think I need to learn when to concede here. I was able to marit 3 time this game but when the guy cliques me, sees double not of this world in hand with my 3rd depths out ready to combo, and says "that's fine, you can keep that," I think it's time to scoop lol. I have the emrakul+coffers+eye tech but the miracles player didn't actually kill me game 1 until 7 min left in the round. If I had more time in game 2 and 3 then I could have possibly won with emrakul &/or marit.

UG 12-post (1-2 loss)
    -Game 1 I go urborg-thoughtseize then t2 depths+hexmage win.
    -Game 2 I had a fast hand and had to play around a few disruption cards (trickbind, karakas, crop-rot) then get blown out because I didn't know he had depths in his deck. I go for the game-winning swing and he crop-rots into a depths and uses his vesuva that copied my stage to make a marit. He blocks and I lose.
    -Game 3 I keep a hand with disruption, hexmage, and lands but no search spells. I don't see any action and he eventually Kozilek+Ulamog's me.

Stax (2-0 win)
    -Game 1 I get the dream petal+petal hexmage depths T1 hand on the draw and go for it after he played a chalice on 1.
    -Game 2 I have a fast depths but he gets me on a ghost quarter + crucible lock. I was able to decay the crucible and needle quarter then eventually combo for the win.

Manaless Dredge (2-0 win)
    -This matchup is pretty much a bye right? To make matters worse for the other guy he never saw a dredger in his opening hands or later draws so that was a rough round for him.

Something I've noticed is I think I overvalue disruption. I have a tendency to keep 7 and 6-card hands with heavy disruption but light to lacking on combo pieces or search pieces and I think that is wrong for the most part. Does anyone else do this?

New league replays (with commentary) here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VY5...O3Fsa-&index=1

New sideboard:

2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Sylvan Library
    4 Abrupt Decay
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Karakas
    1 Academy Ruins
    4 Walking Ballista

Walking Ballista + Academy Ruins seems like an option against Miracles.

1) Variable CMC at 2, 4, 6, or even 8 to help against Counterbalance. Realistically, playing it at 4 CMC should be good enough to get through Counterbalance most of the time.
    2) You can generate blue mana for Academy Ruins by using Thespian's Stage to copy an opposing Island / Tundra.
    3) If opponent tries to Swords / Terminus / Council's Judgment / WearTear your Ballista, you can shoot them with all the counters in response to put Ballista in your graveyard for recycling with Academy Ruins.
    4) Ballista can pressure Jace pretty well because besides attacking it, you can shoot it by removing counters.
    5) Ballista can kill Mentor or a bunch of tokens if your opponent goes for that win condition.
    6) You can bring in Sylvan Libraries to help find Ballista, or draw Ballista + other cards.
    7) Academy Ruins can also get back Pithing Needles to fight Top, Expedition Map to get basics or clear Library.

I know that this plan suffers from its dependence on the graveyard, but I still think there's something here.

If someone can think of a plan involving a better artifact, I'm listening. Perhaps this plan is better with just Volrath's Stronghold? However, I think that getting blue is reasonable and that getting back Pithing Needles after they are killed by Wear/Tear or Disenchant is pretty good too. If someone finds a better creature or artifact to get back repeatedly than Ballista, I'll be interested.

Jan 2010
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by Negator77' View Post
    Your round three match was streamed by your miracles opponent here:
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/124681098

Starts at about the 200 mark.
    Explosive game one but it is so painful to watch it from the Miracles player perspective. That deck is so boring.

If you want Academy Ruins, you could try Winter Orb (in place of Library) as an additional piece against Miracles and Lands, or Culling Scales as a Death and Taxes/Miracles aggravator (if it resolves). With Stronghold you can recur Hexmage and Revoker, but Revoker can't hit Wasteland or Karakas. Ballista might be good enough in the DnT case but you need Stronghold to go that route.

The board looks weak against DnT though, outside of the Ballistas as one time 2-mana Gutshots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Jun 2015
    New Jersey

New league replays (with commentary) here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VY5...O3Fsa-&index=1

New sideboard:

2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Sylvan Library
    4 Abrupt Decay
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Karakas
    1 Academy Ruins
    4 Walking Ballista

Walking Ballista + Academy Ruins seems like an option against Miracles.

1) Variable CMC at 2, 4, 6, or even 8 to help against Counterbalance. Realistically, playing it at 4 CMC should be good enough to get through Counterbalance most of the time.
    2) You can generate blue mana for Academy Ruins by using Thespian's Stage to copy an opposing Island / Tundra.
    3) If opponent tries to Swords / Terminus / Council's Judgment / WearTear your Ballista, you can shoot them with all the counters in response to put Ballista in your graveyard for recycling with Academy Ruins.
    4) Ballista can pressure Jace pretty well because besides attacking it, you can shoot it by removing counters.
    5) Ballista can kill Mentor or a bunch of tokens if your opponent goes for that win condition.
    6) You can bring in Sylvan Libraries to help find Ballista, or draw Ballista + other cards.
    7) Academy Ruins can also get back Pithing Needles to fight Top, Expedition Map to get basics or clear Library.

I know that this plan suffers from its dependence on the graveyard, but I still think there's something here.

If someone can think of a plan involving a better artifact, I'm listening. Perhaps this plan is better with just Volrath's Stronghold? However, I think that getting blue is reasonable and that getting back Pithing Needles after they are killed by Wear/Tear or Disenchant is pretty good too. If someone finds a better creature or artifact to get back repeatedly than Ballista, I'll be interested.
    Since you're already willing to support this plan with a 3rd color, does Engineered Explosives have any merit? Ballista seems sweet, EE is probably not better but it could be part of the supporting cast of the sideboard you've been cooking up. If I can pick up ballistas, I'll give this configuration a try at my LGS.

@Claymore: I have been fine against D+T sideboarding like this before trying these sideboard changes:

-8 fast mana
    -1 Bojuka Bog
    +4 Decay
    +3 Library
    +1 Karakas
    +1 Needle

Winter Orb doesn't seem great out of this deck, though I admit I've never tried it. Culling Scales seems awful. Revoker can't sac itself to avoid being exiled / Terminus'd, so I wouldn't play it. Also, check out my Round 2 video to see Walking Ballista in action. It's a creature, so you can play it through Thalia.

@Djehuti: Certainly I thought about it, EE on zero is fine against Mentor tokens or Entreat tokens, EE on 1 can disrupt Top, EE on 2 kills CB, EE on 3 kills Mentor, we can even EE on 4 to kill Jace. EE probably doesn't provide enough pressure though. I played a proxy match of Miracles vs Esper Stoneblade where my Stoneblade opponent set up Academy Ruins + EE but couldn't deal with my Jace. Their most annoying card combinatino was actually Lingering Souls + equipment (namely, Sword of Fire and Ice). I have thought about working Lingering Souls into Depths but I don't think it would be good enough.

@Djehuti: Certainly I thought about it, EE on zero is fine against Mentor tokens or Entreat tokens, EE on 1 can disrupt Top, EE on 2 kills CB, EE on 3 kills Mentor, we can even EE on 4 to kill Jace. EE probably doesn't provide enough pressure though. I played a proxy match of Miracles vs Esper Stoneblade where my Stoneblade opponent set up Academy Ruins + EE but couldn't deal with my Jace. Their most annoying card combinatino was actually Lingering Souls + equipment (namely, Sword of Fire and Ice). I have thought about working Lingering Souls into Depths but I don't think it would be good enough.
    Doesn't Dread of Night solve the issues with most of those cards above and provide an excellent static shutdown card against Death and Taxes - one of the deck's worst potential match-ups? Because this deck gets hungry for mana very early on with acceleration and discard, the one-mana investment to shut down strategies like those seems particularly relevant. I just don't think you want to be overly cute with the deck; keeping the infusion of a third color out may help retain stabilization of the mana base. I just think for what this deck is trying to do while having access to sweepers and Abrupt Decay should be more than enough.

I mean, we run a full suite of Pithing Needles. Worrying about E.E. on four against Jace seems corner-case, and Decay handles Counterbalance. Hexmage also kills Jace, which is good intrinsically. Not to mention the combo itself is predominantly land-based, so if we wanted added protection against Counterbalance (in conjunction with Abrupt Decay), playing a single Cavern of Souls to ensure Hexmage hits play would be fine. Under those circumstances, all facets of the combo would be uncounterable and you'd still have access to Decay for Counterbalance.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Djehuti View Post
    Since you're already willing to support this plan with a 3rd color, does Engineered Explosives have any merit? Ballista seems sweet, EE is probably not better but it could be part of the supporting cast of the sideboard you've been cooking up. If I can pick up ballistas, I'll give this configuration a try at my LGS.
    ballista probably won't help in the D&T matchup. Phyrexian revoker hits it and it gets flickerwisped / stp'd.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    Doesn't Dread of Night solve the issues with most of those cards above and provide an excellent static shutdown card against Death and Taxes - one of the deck's worst potential match-ups? Because this deck gets hungry for mana very early on with acceleration and discard, the one-mana investment to shut down strategies like those seems particularly relevant. I just don't think you want to be overly cute with the deck; keeping the infusion of a third color out may help retain stabilization of the mana base. I just think for what this deck is trying to do while having access to sweepers and Abrupt Decay should be more than enough.
    Dread of night has been mentioned several times but i don't recall any definitive testing / results posted from anyone about it. I know some people have also mentioned massacre because it helps against other decks as well but still the results have not really been reported / confirmed.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Dread of night has been mentioned several times but i don't recall any definitive testing / results posted from anyone about it. I know some people have also mentioned massacre because it helps against other decks as well but still the results have not really been reported / confirmed.
    If you look at my Top 2/4 lists, I've had it in my sideboard in all iterations and it was convincingly powerful. I even made mention of that in the short write-ups. (EDIT: Post 1264 for reference.)

Thread Information