Results 3,201 to 3,220 of 3301

Thread: [Deck] Turbo Depths

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Re: [Deck] Turbo Depths

Chris Kapica made top 8 at a recent event in California with this list:

https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=22219&d=350504&f=LE

I think it's cool he had Not of this World in his maindeck, I've been thinking about trying that again as well.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Jun 2014
    L.A., CA

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Chris Kapica made top 8 at a recent event in California with this list:

https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=22219&d=350504&f=LE

I think it's cool he had Not of this World in his maindeck, I've been thinking about trying that again as well.
    This was me, so feel free to ask any questions about the list! Beat BR Reanimator, Sneak 'n' Show x2, and Moon Stompy in the Swiss, double drew into top8, then beat Mono U Painter in the quarters and punted badly against Food Chain in the semis (my opponent was also an excellent pilot).

- Not of this World is great when you're trying to go fast. Investing a mana into Safekeeper isn't always an option in the early turns, so you get to blow out people who assume you're jamming with your guard down. It's also an easy card to side out when you know your opponent isn't interacting with you on that axis or if you can't do anything about their interaction (e.g.: Wipe Away from Sneak 'n' Show).
    - Don't love Library right now, but I couldn't think of something better in the heat of the moment. Too many maindeck Narsets around to risk it, in my opinion. Plus with the London mulligan approaching, I don't think we need nearly as many tutors. That slot will be replaced by some kind of flex card to be determined.
    - Rancor looks goofy and meme-worthy in the sideboard, but it's basically a second Steppe against flying blockers. Locally people have been trying out cards like Sai, Master Thopterist (which I was paired against in the quarterfinals), and Strix and Bitterblossom are generally around. So I figure Rancor is a card you can use to punch through dudes. I've slapped it onto a Hexmage before, too; a 4/1 first striking trampler hasn't been embarrassing, at least. Meta call mostly -- isn't necessary.

I'm sure this list isn't optimized: the one Safekeeper maindeck is almost certainly wrong, and I should obviously be playing a third Bayou over the Blooming Marsh. I'll also probably move back to 4 Duress instead of the 3/1 split with IoK. I'll be testing the London mulligan and updating my list.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by theMonster View Post
    This was me, so feel free to ask any questions about the list! Beat BR Reanimator, Sneak 'n' Show x2, and Moon Stompy in the Swiss, double drew into top8, then beat Mono U Painter in the quarters and punted badly against Food Chain in the semis (my opponent was also an excellent pilot).

- Not of this World is great when you're trying to go fast. Investing a mana into Safekeeper isn't always an option in the early turns, so you get to blow out people who assume you're jamming with your guard down. It's also an easy card to side out when you know your opponent isn't interacting with you on that axis or if you can't do anything about their interaction (e.g.: Wipe Away from Sneak 'n' Show).
    - Don't love Library right now, but I couldn't think of something better in the heat of the moment. Too many maindeck Narsets around to risk it, in my opinion. Plus with the London mulligan approaching, I don't think we need nearly as many tutors. That slot will be replaced by some kind of flex card to be determined.
    - Rancor looks goofy and meme-worthy in the sideboard, but it's basically a second Steppe against flying blockers. Locally people have been trying out cards like Sai, Master Thopterist (which I was paired against in the quarterfinals), and Strix and Bitterblossom are generally around. So I figure Rancor is a card you can use to punch through dudes. I've slapped it onto a Hexmage before, too; a 4/1 first striking trampler hasn't been embarrassing, at least. Meta call mostly -- isn't necessary.

I'm sure this list isn't optimized: the one Safekeeper maindeck is almost certainly wrong, and I should obviously be playing a third Bayou over the Blooming Marsh. I'll also probably move back to 4 Duress instead of the 3/1 split with IoK. I'll be testing the London mulligan and updating my list.
    I played in a 1K this weekend and I really wanted to squeeze in a Rancor but I ended up trying 3x Force of Vigor in the sideboard so I didn't have room. It would definitely have been relevant as I faced some threats where it could have really done some work (Bitterblossom would have been much less troublesome for sure.) A local player that has had good success with the deck suggested it as card #61, but I'm not a fan of that. Five rounds, I went 3-2 beating Infect, Death and Taxes, and UB Death's Shadow. I lost to Moon Stompy and UR Delver. In particular I wanted the Force of Vigors for the Stompy lists.

Some questions, if you don't mind:
    1) I'm curious about the 3/3 split on ESG/Petals, especially where it seems like you wanted speed (from your above post.)
    2) I see some unique land decisions, like 4 Urborgs main and an extra Bog in the sideboard. How necessary was the 2nd Bog? I see Reanimator was a factor, was there any other decks to consider?
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Jun 2014
    L.A., CA

1) I'm curious about the 3/3 split on ESG/Petals, especially where it seems like you wanted speed (from your above post.)
    2) I see some unique land decisions, like 4 Urborgs main and an extra Bog in the sideboard. How necessary was the 2nd Bog? I see Reanimator was a factor, was there any other decks to consider?
    Generally I want to see 1-2 pieces of acceleration a game, especially game 1, so I wanted to see if replacing the seventh piece of fast mana with the 24th land would make a noticeable difference. Deck felt fine, but it was obviously a small sample size. I could see cutting the Library or the 24th land (Blooming Marsh/Bayou #3) for the seventh piece of fast mana.

Urborg leads to my fastest kills, so I always want to see it in my opener. With the London mulligan, you’ll be able to put redundant copies on the bottom of your library, to boot. The second Bog is a concession to the preponderance of Dredge decks locally. Most people play the third Surgical, but I’ve been happy with the extra Bog. Necessary? Depends on how you want your graveyard matchups to be. I tend to play more graveyard hate than most, hence my hedge with a card like Return to Nature (which I drew against Reanimator in game 2, and it was relevant — certainly not as good as a third Surgical for the matchup, but I liked the flexibility of having 3.5ish pieces of additional grave hate and six pieces of artifact/enchantment removal in my sideboard).

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by theMonster View Post
    Generally I want to see 1-2 pieces of acceleration a game, especially game 1, so I wanted to see if replacing the seventh piece of fast mana with the 24th land would make a noticeable difference. Deck felt fine, but it was obviously a small sample size. I could see cutting the Library or the 24th land (Blooming Marsh/Bayou #3) for the seventh piece of fast mana.

Urborg leads to my fastest kills, so I always want to see it in my opener. With the London mulligan, you’ll be able to put redundant copies on the bottom of your library, to boot. The second Bog is a concession to the preponderance of Dredge decks locally. Most people play the third Surgical, but I’ve been happy with the extra Bog. Necessary? Depends on how you want your graveyard matchups to be. I tend to play more graveyard hate than most, hence my hedge with a card like Return to Nature (which I drew against Reanimator in game 2, and it was relevant — certainly not as good as a third Surgical for the matchup, but I liked the flexibility of having 3.5ish pieces of additional grave hate and six pieces of artifact/enchantment removal in my sideboard).
    Thanks for that! I've been playing Dark Confidant/Library in the maindeck lately but with Narset the Libraries have gone to the sideboard. Honestly, Narset might make Library a liability if Miracles continues to play 2(+) copies. That was the primary matchup that Library was good against. I think I'll end up cutting the Libraries for Dark Confidants in the sideboard and that gives me room to jam Not of this World. I'm pretty excited, I want that card to be good. Blowouts are fun.

I think you're spot-on with the London Mulligan and the 4th Urborg, I really appreciate that insight.
    Brainstorm Realist

Thanks for that! I've been playing Dark Confidant/Library in the maindeck lately but with Narset the Libraries have gone to the sideboard. Honestly, Narset might make Library a liability if Miracles continues to play 2(+) copies. That was the primary matchup that Library was good against. I think I'll end up cutting the Libraries for Dark Confidants in the sideboard and that gives me room to jam Not of this World. I'm pretty excited, I want that card to be good. Blowouts are fun.

I think you're spot-on with the London Mulligan and the 4th Urborg, I really appreciate that insight.
    How many 7 drop flips with Bob will you tolerate before rethinking this?
    If you're wondering how I produce blue mana, I copy my opponent's Island with Thespian's Stage

My Youtube and Twitch usernames are DNSolver.

I am the Legacy metagame:

-2016 Eternal Weekend Europe won by BR Reanimator (I wrote the primer)
    -2016 Eternal Weekend North America won by Turbo Dark Depths (I write about and develop the winning version specifically)
    -Refiner of Hogaak Depths.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by DNSolver View Post
    How many 7 drop flips with Bob will you tolerate before rethinking this?
    I think I'll end up cutting the Libraries for Dark Confidants in the sideboard and that gives me room to jam Not of this World.
    I would board out NotW when boarding in Bobs, 3-for-3 swap.
    Brainstorm Realist

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

I would board out NotW when boarding in Bobs, 3-for-3 swap.
    Sounds like a pretty curious strategy against any matchup that you’d want both cards, such as Miracles or Lands.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Di View Post
    Sounds like a pretty curious strategy against any matchup that you’d want both cards, such as Miracles or Lands.
    I don't have any experience with Not of this World as of yet. I know Confidant is great against Miracles, I'm not sure I would board it in against Lands. I haven't played the matchup enough to know. I know fundamentally I wouldn't play both at the same time, blind flipping a 7 drop is way too big of a liability. If you have any helpful insight for how to approach it, that would be awesome. I haven't seen Not of this World in lists for a long time but Chris Kapica just top8-ed an event with it x3 in the maindeck. I thought it would make good discussion fodder.

The conundrum is that Sylvan Library is blanked by Narset now, and the decks playing Narset are the same ones I would want to board in Sylvan Library. Maybe I'm wrong, I've said some dumb stuff before, but Dark Confidant seems better against the blue decks than Not of this World.
    Brainstorm Realist

Jun 2014
    L.A., CA

I don't have any experience with Not of this World as of yet. I know Confidant is great against Miracles, I'm not sure I would board it in against Lands. I haven't played the matchup enough to know. I know fundamentally I wouldn't play both at the same time, blind flipping a 7 drop is way too big of a liability. If you have any helpful insight for how to approach it, that would be awesome. I haven't seen Not of this World in lists for a long time but Chris Kapica just top8-ed an event with it x3 in the maindeck. I thought it would make good discussion fodder.

The conundrum is that Sylvan Library is blanked by Narset now, and the decks playing Narset are the same ones I would want to board in Sylvan Library. Maybe I'm wrong, I've said some dumb stuff before, but Dark Confidant seems better against the blue decks than Not of this World.
    Not of this World stops activations of Karakas and Maze of Ith, so I would definitely have it in against Lands. What sometimes happens in the matchup is you both make Marit Lage, and you need to Steppe past theirs. Not of this World is a card they can’t interact with, unlike Safekeeper which they can P-Fire if you play it too early. I would not run Bob and Not of this World in the same list.

Narset certainly makes Library awkward sometimes, especially game 1. If you have it turn 1, though, you can still get significant value out of the card. Plus they’ve gotta keep a Narset hand, and you can put them in situations where they can’t afford to tap out on turn 3 because you’re presenting a potential 20/20.

Bob doesn’t match up well against cards like Arcanist, and drawing cards doesn’t matter when you’re getting Latticed early. He’s good against Miracles if you’re playing a significant number of Safekeepers to protect him (3+).

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Well, I appreciate all the comments. I will try NotW in the main, Library side, no Bobs. If that doesn't work I'll just go back to Bobs main, Library side, no copies of NotW.
    Brainstorm Realist

B

It looks like interesting...

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I think the Mox Diamond lists might want to try this out, but straight Turbo lists with ESG/Petals probably don't want it. Sylvan Scrying and Into the North are both more efficient mana-wise. It's definitely an interesting card, it would be exciting to get new tech.
    Brainstorm Realist

I am testing elvish reclaimer in my list and it looks really good, it is therapy fooder + crop + safekeeper in just one card man !

EDIT :

tested whitout library and was not happy whith this choice so back to library cutting scrying

What's the opinin of people on buntu's last reckoning ? or plague engineere might be a better idea don't know, just testing stuff might not be optimal,
    buntu looks good against eldrazi, aggro loam, maverick death and taxes elf, some tempo decks. What i know for sure is more than 2 deluge is not good you never want to cast 2 in a grindy game because of life loss issue most of the time

// 60 Maindeck
    // 9 Artifact
    3 Pithing Needle
    4 Expedition Map
    2 Nihil Spellbomb

// 8 Creature
    4 Vampire Hexmage
    4 Elvish Reclaimer

// 4 Enchantment
    4 Sylvan Library

// 4 Instant
    4 Crop Rotation

// 25 Land
    4 Thespian's Stage
    4 Dark Depths
    4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Khalni Garden
    4 Blooming Marsh
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Sejiri Steppe
    1 Llanowar Wastes
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Maze of Ith

// 10 Sorcery
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 Duress

// 15 Sideboard
    // 2 Artifact
    SB: 2 Nihil Spellbomb

// 6 Instant
    SB: 4 Force of Vigor
    SB: 2 Abrupt Decay

// 1 Land
    SB: 1 Maze of Ith

// 6 Sorcery
    SB: 2 Toxic Deluge
    SB: 2 Bontu's Last Reckoning
    SB: 2 Duress

Last edited by adrieng; 07-05-2019 at 08:13 AM.

This deck destroys the format and might result with a ban trust man :

// 60 Maindeck
    // 22 Creature
    4 Vampire Hexmage
    4 Elvish Reclaimer
    4 Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis
    4 Stitcher's Supplier
    4 Satyr Wayfinder
    2 Nimble Mongoose

// 4 Instant
    4 Crop Rotation

// 24 Land
    4 Thespian's Stage
    4 Dark Depths
    4 Khalni Garden
    4 Blooming Marsh
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Sejiri Steppe
    1 Llanowar Wastes
    1 Bojuka Bog

// 10 Sorcery
    4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Inquisition of Kozilek
    3 Gather the Pack

// 15 Sideboard
    // 3 Artifact
    SB: 3 Pithing Needle

// 5 Creature
    SB: 4 Faerie Macabre
    SB: 1 Nimble Mongoose

// 4 Instant

// 3 Sorcery
    SB: 3 Duress

Nov 2014
    Geneva

Quote Originally Posted by adrieng View Post

// 60 Maindeck
    // 22 Creature
    4 Vampire Hexmage
    4 Elvish Reclaimer
    4 Stitcher's Supplier
    4 Satyr Wayfinder
    2 Nimble Mongoose

// 4 Instant
    4 Crop Rotation

// 24 Land
    4 Thespian's Stage
    4 Dark Depths
    4 Khalni Garden
    4 Blooming Marsh
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Sejiri Steppe
    1 Llanowar Wastes
    1 Bojuka Bog

// 10 Sorcery
    4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Inquisition of Kozilek
    3 Gather the Pack

// 15 Sideboard
    // 3 Artifact
    SB: 3 Pithing Needle

// 5 Creature
    SB: 1 Nimble Mongoose

// 4 Instant

// 3 Sorcery

Wow, that looks sweet!
    Could you maybe tell us more about the up- and downsides of this list in comparison to our "classic" lists?

This looks like a Aggro-Combo-ish list or something. I like that idea.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by adrieng View Post
    Is this a new brew of yours or did it get a top finish somewhere?

Can you give us some more details on what makes it so awesome?

Also, i feel like this deck wants some number of life from the loam.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

yeah it is brew, it is only vulenarble to karakas and wastelock that's why there is needle in side.

you have multiple angle of attack, you have hogaak which can be put into play as soosn as turn 2, and consitently on turn 3.

you can go for marit lage quite easily thanks to classic package with addition of the elf.

The elf is often a 3/4 so it can go beatdown, you can also attack with goose which is there to fight surgical providing additonal threat can sneak the hogaak and is not vulenrable to removals, you might want safekeeper instead but not sure.

Gather the pack can make some card advantage while searcing for hogaak, it is better than grisly salvage mostly because of the casting cost and it can provide CA.

you have the cabal therapy which provides CA and can be found with stuff that makes card to graveyard.

The macabre in side might be better than surgical to protect yourself from opposing surgical (uncounterable but don't bring the 4 you have lot of stuff against surgical) they can be found with gather the pack,

they can be hardcast.

Force of vigor is a must have chalice/leyline/moon.

Duress are there for combo decks.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I really like Elvish Reclaimer as an option; it's essentially an Expedition Map as far as mana cost goes (3 mana tutor) that can also be a 3/4 beatstick. Its as close to Deathrite Shaman for this deck as I could hope for, and I loved DRS in Turbo Depths. I am thinking it has to replace some number of Map/Sylvan Scrying, but that should be ok. I'll probably try it with Green Sun's Zenith, which can grab Elvish Reclaimer, Sylvan Safekeeper, and possibly Ramunup Excavater post-board. Getting the green count higher for Force of Vigor sounds smart, too.
    Brainstorm Realist

ok did some leagues 3-2 4-1 lost to 2 aggro loam decks 0-2 and 1-2 in first league and to one miracle 1-2 in second.

Beat rug delver, echo stuff, BUG tempo in first league ; second league rug delver ur delver grixis control and aluren

third league in progress 2-3 beat grixis control ur delver and lost 1-2 to miracle goose would have been safekeeper i would still have won here again

lost then to aluren and rug delver because of the manabase no green for lot of turn

the mana base is quite bad also really i have been too greedy and punished for that -2 goose +2 llanowar waste/nurturing peatland

So after changes :

// 60 Maindeck
    // 22 Creature
    4 Vampire Hexmage
    4 Elvish Reclaimer
    4 Stitcher's Supplier
    4 Satyr Wayfinder

// 4 Instant
    4 Crop Rotation

// 27 Land
    4 Thespian's Stage
    4 Dark Depths
    4 Khalni Garden
    4 Blooming Marsh
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Sejiri Steppe
    3 Llanowar Wastes
    1 Bojuka Bog

// 10 Sorcery
    4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Inquisition of Kozilek
    3 Gather the Pack

// 15 Sideboard
    // 3 Artifact
    SB: 2 Pithing Needle

// 5 Creature
    SB: 2 Sylvan Safekeeper

// 4 Instant

// 3 Sorcery

Last edited by adrieng; 07-08-2019 at 11:56 AM.

Thread Information