Page 13 of 166 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Turbo Depths

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Re: [Deck] Dark Depths

Quote Originally Posted by adrieng View Post
    I don't see myself playing this maindeck ; maybe in side.

Against omni it des nothing they have cuning wish for trickbind anyway.

Against ANT I didn't understand very well so they crack led in resp to IT and you put mikoro into the stack so that they don't have hellbent right ?

might be ok but maybe a little too focused.
    yes thats correct. it is very focused, but with about 80% success rate it seems alright for 1 card slot to improve the worst match for the deck...
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Miracle is ok after side if you play the carpetOfFlowers.version with side slaughter games+creeping tar

The slaughter games+creeping tar side destroys miracle after side. The deck is right now really well positionned.
    [/Cards]
    How is Creeping Tar Pit winning the Miracles matchup? Never had an opportunity to play this matchup (shame on me) before so I am thinking loudly: First card we need to get rid of is Entreat the Angels as it can kill us quickly, right? Then let's assume we drew another Slaughter Games. What is another target? StP or Terminus? I would say Terminus as Swords to Plowshares give us some free life. On the other hand their 4 StP + Snapcaster Mages > 4 Dark Depths. So you extract Swords to Plowshares to leave them with clunky Terminus? I understand that Terminus'ed Creeping Tar Pit goes back to the library to be searched again. And why is Carpet of Flowers so important in this particular matchup? Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of CArpet of Flowers :).

How is Creeping Tar Pit winning the Miracles matchup? Never had an opportunity to play this matchup (shame on me) before so I am thinking loudly: First card we need to get rid of is Entreat the Angels as it can kill us quickly, right? Then let's assume we drew another Slaughter Games. What is another target? StP or Terminus? I would say Terminus as Swords to Plowshares give us some free life. On the other hand their 4 StP + Snapcaster Mages > 4 Dark Depths. So you extract Swords to Plowshares to leave them with clunky Terminus? I understand that Terminus'ed Creeping Tar Pit goes back to the library to be searched again. And why is Carpet of Flowers so important in this particular matchup? Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of CArpet of Flowers :).
    So first you never attack with creeping tar while you don't have a copy with thespian's stage ;
    After extracting entreat of angels second target is sword ; you just fetch tar COPY IT with stage make 4 copy and it can kill jace and him all days.

Carpet of flower is not really important in the miracle matchup ; it is important to have not dead slaughter games after side versus storm and showAndTells. Against these decks without flowers slaughter games would be too slow while here you can have turn 2 slaughter games.
    I have also been prefering carpetOfFlowers over pyroblast in the main versus tempo.decks ;

Tar is also particularly good in the stoneblade matchup ; when you can easily control the board with grudge/grip/maze/deluge/clasme and kill him with tar eventually if darkDepth was surgical.extracted. Never forget to have a backup copy with stage.

So I played basically this last night and 4-0'd. I don't have a Top and only 2 Carpet of Flowers and my board was quite different. I played Stoneblade, Omnitell, BUG delver, and I think it was another stoneblade.

Sideboarding has been a decent challenge with this deck and with my newness to Legacy. What are you bringing in and taking out in the main matchups? Most of my sideboarding has been minus a couple sylvan libraries/scryings, needles, mazes/steppe, and sometimes discard.

So I played basically this last night and 4-0'd. I don't have a Top and only 2 Carpet of Flowers and my board was quite different. I played Stoneblade, Omnitell, BUG delver, and I think it was another stoneblade.

Sideboarding has been a decent challenge with this deck and with my newness to Legacy. What are you bringing in and taking out in the main matchups? Most of my sideboarding has been minus a couple sylvan libraries/scryings, needles, mazes/steppe, and sometimes discard.
    Good news ! There is a sideboard guide in the primer the list is quite the same except carpet in the reb slots and slaughter games in side ; sideboarding strategy doesn't change much. You just bring slaughter games for miracle/ant/showTell/ maybeATwOffForStoneblade.

Yeah I often cut discard/libraryVsAgressiveDecks/sejiri/Scrying/Carpet/OneOrTwoMaze/needle

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Good news ! There is a sideboard guide in the primer the list is quite the same except carpet in the reb slots and slaughter games in side ; sideboarding strategy doesn't change much. You just bring slaughter games for miracle/ant/showTell/ maybeATwOffForStoneblade.

Yeah I often cut discard/libraryVsAgressiveDecks/sejiri/Scrying/Carpet/OneOrTwoMaze/needle
    I started testing this deck on MTGO and I must say that Slaughter games is exactly what this deck needed. I really like it ALOT. Since there are such limited threats against this deck it does a really good job. I have even considered running -1 inquisition or duress and having a 2/2 split main deck of carpet and slaughter games. I haven't tested enough really to start thinking with that yet but every time i've drawn it i've been very happy. I played several games against miracles and a few against blade decks. Although it can be discarded, the fact that it's uncountable and works perfectly with the manabase is a really big plus. Slaughter games really helped the miracles matchup and now it seems much better. Not sure creeping tar pit is necessary but as a 1 of it doesn't really hurt either.

I think the original reason we never visitied slaughter games or cranial extraction earlier in our testing was because of its High CMC. against decks like miracles, its fine. Against S&T and omni, not so much. Really only testing will show us.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    I started testing this deck on MTGO and I must say that Slaughter games is exactly what this deck needed. I really like it ALOT. Since there are such limited threats against this deck it does a really good job. I have even considered running -1 inquisition or duress and having a 2/2 split main deck of carpet and slaughter games. I haven't tested enough really to start thinking with that yet but every time i've drawn it i've been very happy. I played several games against miracles and a few against blade decks. Although it can be discarded, the fact that it's uncountable and works perfectly with the manabase is a really big plus. Slaughter games really helped the miracles matchup and now it seems much better. Not sure creeping tar pit is necessary but as a 1 of it doesn't really hurt either.

I think the original reason we never visitied slaughter games or cranial extraction earlier in our testing was because of its High CMC. against decks like miracles, its fine. Against S&T and omni, not so much. Really only testing will show us.
    Awesome! I picked up a top so I'm closer to the most recently posted RGB deck since now I'm just down 1 Carpet of Flowers. I actually looked at picking up the deck on mtgo but depths are too expensive for me to justify spending on a non-existent card. I'll be testing on Thursday again though. People are starting to sideboard more anti-Marit Lage stuff which is making it more interesting.

What is your choice order against Miracles? Stp then Terminus or vice versa? I was thinking at least we have some defense(steppe) against STP but nothing against Terminus.

Edit: So I'm an idiot. Was able to trade some of the stuff I've received from drafting and have all but the 4 mana confluence, 2 maze, 1 gemstone, and 2 toxic deluges. Can't believe Deluges are 25 tickets each! crazy.
    Last edited by komondor; 02-09-2015 at 09:26 PM.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by komondor View Post
    Awesome! I picked up a top so I'm closer to the most recently posted RGB deck since now I'm just down 1 Carpet of Flowers. I actually looked at picking up the deck on mtgo but depths are too expensive for me to justify spending on a non-existent card. I'll be testing on Thursday again though. People are starting to sideboard more anti-Marit Lage stuff which is making it more interesting.

What is your choice order against Miracles? Stp then Terminus or vice versa? I was thinking at least we have some defense(steppe) against STP but nothing against Terminus.

Edit: So I'm an idiot. Was able to trade some of the stuff I've received from drafting and have all but the 4 mana confluence, 2 maze, 1 gemstone, and 2 toxic deluges. Can't believe Deluges are 25 tickets each! crazy.
    ya my version is somewhat budget at the moment because i was skeptical about whether or not i would enjoy playing online. I opted for 2x pyroclasm instead of 2x deluge, and I started with city of brass 1.5 instead of mana confluence 13 each. i also don't have 2x maze of ith which are 17 each. So far so good but since I do like playing online i will buy the cards when i get a chance. Without the aforementioned it cost me like $170 which is unbelievably low for a MTGO legacy deck that is very good.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

ya my version is somewhat budget at the moment because i was skeptical about whether or not i would enjoy playing online. I opted for 2x pyroclasm instead of 2x deluge, and I started with city of brass 1.5 instead of mana confluence 13 each. i also don't have 2x maze of ith which are 17 each. So far so good but since I do like playing online i will buy the cards when i get a chance. Without the aforementioned it cost me like $170 which is unbelievably low for a MTGO legacy deck that is very good.
    I sucked it up and completed almost everything and am running it in a daily right now. Won the first round easily against stoneblade. Maindeck I have Cities instead of Mana Confluences and side I have 2 pyroclasm instead of deluge.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

I sucked it up and completed almost everything and am running it in a daily right now. Won the first round easily against stoneblade. Maindeck I have Cities instead of Mana Confluences and side I have 2 pyroclasm instead of deluge.
    hit me up sometime Maverick713

whats your username?
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Yeah, I also have the entire deck built substituting Cities for MC and Pyroclasm for Deluge.

Hi there guys.

Im curently running my personal pure GB version, here are some cards that im testing out

• One card that I played a lot in my old MUD deck was: Lightning Greaves. I often find my self able to make my token, but i need to wait another round because of summon sickenss (make it in the opponents end step). The haste would help a lot and make this deck 1 round faster and shroud protects our token. But this means we cant target our own token, witch makes Shizo, Death's Storehouse and Sejiri Steppe dead cards. But ten again, I think we shouldnt use those 2 lands, our focus is tutor for thespian and depths. I found this card to be great, if you have NOTW in hand, you can forces opponent to STPS or Karakas bounce when you equip. One other thought is also: Concordant Crossroads, is a turn 1 drop (1 cc) wich is important.
    • And what about Courser of Kruphix?
    • Apostle's Blessing Is also intresting, colorless casting cost, can also protect our artifacts (especialy phitting needle wich is essensial is this build). And it makes our token 'unblockable'.
    • Regarding an UB version you all forgot the most safe land-tutor-card in magic (Transmute can not be counterd!!): Tolaria West
    • Why do you guys use Reclamation Sage instead of Abrupt Decay? I dont get it?

If you are intrested, this is what I am currently testing:

// 22 Lands
    4 Dark Depths
    4 Thespian's Stage
    4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    2 Snow-Covered Forest
    2 Snow-Covered Swamp
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Bayou

// 10 tempo cards
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Sylvan Library
    2 Lightning Greaves

// 4 Combo enablers
    4 Vampire Hexmage

// 12 Tutors
    4 Expedition Map
    4 Crop Rotation
    3 Into the North
    1 Sylvan Scrying

// 4 Protection
    4 Pithing Needle

// 8 Flexi slots
    4 Abrupt Decay
    4 Not of This World

// SIDEBOARD: still in progress. Primeraly agains fast combo decks.
    4 Duress
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Karakas
    1 Maze of Ith
    2 Bojuka Bog
    2 Choke
    2 Surgical Extraction

My maindeck answers to relevant issues/threats this deck faces:
    Last edited by t000; 02-15-2015 at 04:44 PM.

I'm recording my legacy daily today. I'll post the videos to youtube and link them once I figure out how to do it. This is my first attempt at recording. Maybe I'll try to stream sometime too if people are interested.

To the post above: I should have definitely tried tolaria west in UB. Would have been useful I think.

Intro: http://youtu.be/lON_RDtDOZQ
    Round 1: http://youtu.be/BBiMBd3MpoQ - Lands - I played horribly games 1 and 2.
    Round 2: http://youtu.be/FpYuHKO_yjE - RUG delver
    Round 3: http://youtu.be/oQrXkBOiRUc - Dredge
    Round 4: http://youtu.be/FrgRnLduOBc - Omnitell

Results: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles...ily-2015-02-15
    Last edited by komondor; 02-15-2015 at 06:54 PM.

Have anyone tried Bind as a protection agains waste/karakas/maze etc?

And what about mr Deathrinte Shaman? Gives ut mana, protects us from surgical, and gives us life for Sylvan.

Hhm... i bumped into Into the Wilds and Oracle of Mul Daya?

Btw, I love the Carpet of Flowers and Slaughter Games SB pack against faster combo decks, miracels etc..!!

And one last thing: Steely Resolve has anyone tested this out? I know its been talked about before, but have anyone realy tested it? It will work better then Lightning Greaves since Steely is a continues effect, the opponent can respond to the the activated equip trigger on Greaves. I find Steely to be a verry intresting card!

Steely
    + Opponents don't get the chance to remove the creature in response to equipping
    - Much slower
    - Redundant in multiples

Lightning Greaves
    + Gives the creature haste, which can make this deck 1 turn faster
    + Colorless cost allows me to more easily
    - Creature can be removed in response to equipping
    Last edited by t000; 02-15-2015 at 08:24 PM.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by t000 View Post
    Have anyone tried Bind as a protection agains waste/karakas/maze etc?

And what about mr Deathrinte Shaman? Gives ut mana, protects us from surgical, and gives us life for Sylvan.

Hhm... i bumped into Into the Wilds and Oracle of Mul Daya?

Btw, I love the Carpet of Flowers and Slaughter Games SB pack against faster combo decks, miracels etc..!!

And one last thing: Steely Resolve has anyone tested this out? I know its been talked about before, but have anyone realy tested it? It will work better then Lightning Greaves since Steely is a continues effect, the opponent can respond to the the activated equip trigger on Greaves. I find Steely to be a verry intresting card!

Steely
    + Opponents don't get the chance to remove the creature in response to equipping
    - Much slower
    - Redundant in multiples

Lightning Greaves
    + Gives the creature haste, which can make this deck 1 turn faster
    + Colorless cost allows me to more easily
    - Creature can be removed in response to equipping

the problem with steely and lightning is the same problem as not of this world, there is no alternate use for them and they are very narrow.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

Don't forget Steely and Greaves give shroud thus Marit Lage cannot be targeted be Sejiri Steppe. I remember plenty of games where I needed the protection to swing through flyer or worse flyer /mom.

the problem with steely and lightning is the same problem as not of this world, there is no alternate use for them and they are very narrow.

True.

That is why I so want Stifle to be a green card, thats is what this deck is missing!
    I ask again, has anyone tried Bind?
    #1 It cost 1 colorless more than Stifle
    #2 Dosnt stop a triggerd ability, but is there any important triggerd ability's in legacy format? *look at the botom!
    #3 The +1cc can be 'backed-up' by saying that it replaces itself (card draw)

In a multiplayer game, expect this to turn heads.

Player A: I'll fire off my planeswalker's ultimate...
    Player B: I'll counter it.

*all eyes stare at the green player*

Player C: ....Wait, you can do that?
    Player B: Bind.

My thoughts on U cards that would replace G cards:

Brainstorm/Ponder replaces Crop Rotation/Sylvan Scrying

Dispel,Force of Will, Spell Pierce
    #1 protects ut from Swords To Plowshare/Surgical Extraction/Terminus(not dispel)
    #2 other relevant spells
    #3 stops faster combodecks wich depths have

Stifle
    #1 kills Wasteland, stops Karakas and Maze of Ith,
    #2 other relevan tiggerd ability
    #3 stops Sneak Attack
    #4 stops and planeswalker ability
    #5 kills fetchlands
    #6 stops any 'equip:'
    #7 stops Knight of the Reliquary

Hydroblast
    #1 might be the perfecf SB card against Blood Moon, except against painter?

But as Adrieng already has pointed out, I agree with his point. G is not worth to swich out with U:

Cutting green for blue is a total non sense ; in green you have one mana vampire tutor that puts into play (crop rotation)
    two mana demonic tutor sylvan scrying and two mana sylvan library.

Vampiric tutor and demonic tutor are available in dark depth and that's so unfair !!!

[/Cards]

-----

EDIT:

Wow, I dident know this: Stifle miracle trigger:

The Comprehensive Rules:

702.92a Miracle is a static ability linked to a triggered ability (see rule 603.10). “Miracle [cost]” means “You may reveal this card from your hand as you draw it if it’s the first card you’ve drawn this turn. When you reveal this card this way, you may cast it by paying [cost] rather than its mana cost.”

702.92b If a player chooses to reveal a card using its miracle ability, he or she plays with that card revealed until that card leaves his or her hand, that ability resolves, or that ability otherwise leaves the stack.

Miracle trigger upon actually drawing the card, so the Miracled card is actually in your opponent’s hand (though it is revealed). Then once the trigger resolves, they can pay the Miracle cost to cast it. Then the Miracled card is placed on the stack. The Miracled card is technically in the hand, but physically is not in it. This allows for several differences.

Once your opponent reveals the Miracle card (and is in their hand), the ability triggers and is placed on the stack. Now players have the opportunity to respond. For example, a Vendilion Clique cast in response to the trigger can snatch the Miracle out of the hand of the opponent. Similarly, a Stifle can stop your opponent from paying the Miracle cost. The Miracle card will just stay in their hand and your opponent does not need to pay the mana for the Miracle card, since it’s a cost paid on resolution of the Miracle trigger.
    Last edited by t000; 02-16-2015 at 07:03 PM.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by t000 View Post

True.

That is why I so want Stifle to be a green card, thats is what this deck is missing!
    I ask again, has anyone tried Bind?
    #1 It cost 1 colorless more than Stifle
    #2 Dosnt stop a triggerd ability, but is there any important triggerd ability's in legacy format? *look at the botom!
    #3 The +1cc can be 'backed-up' by saying that it replaces itself (card draw)

Stifle
    #1 kills Wasteland, stops Karakas and Maze of Ith,
    #2 other relevan tiggerd ability
    #3 stops Sneak Attack
    #4 stops and planeswalker ability
    #5 kills fetchlands
    #6 stops any 'equip:'
    #7 stops Knight of the Reliquary

But as Adrieng already has pointed out, I agree with his point. G is not worth to swich out with U:

-----

EDIT:

Wow, I dident know this: Stifle miracle trigger:

Once your opponent reveals the Miracle card (and is in their hand), the ability triggers and is placed on the stack. Now players have the opportunity to respond. For example, a Vendilion Clique cast in response to the trigger can snatch the Miracle out of the hand of the opponent. Similarly, a Stifle can stop your opponent from paying the Miracle cost. The Miracle card will just stay in their hand and your opponent does not need to pay the mana for the Miracle card, since it’s a cost paid on resolution of the Miracle trigger.
    the issue with bind is that it is more narrow than stifle and much slower. Bind does not provide turn 1 against a wasteland and would require you to have 2 more mana when trying to make your token. This extra turn is a big issue when you are under pressure.

additionally, it doesn't hit triggers like miracle, storm, annihilator, Enter the battlefield effects like stone forge mystic, narcomeoba's ability, and tons more. Stifle is superior in every way it could be. with the colorful manabase, it might be better to just run a stifle over bind anyways.

If someone has bind's for me to test with on mtgo ill test with them but i don't think i can place an order for under $1.
    Last edited by apple713; 02-17-2015 at 02:37 PM.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

I keep losing to Cloudpost. The games are super grindy and relatively close but I can't quite get over the hump. Any suggestions? Only thing I can think of is 2 Life from the Loam in the sideboard to recur ghost quarter. Normally I feel great in the grindy games due to Slaughter Games but he just has too many things I need to take. Repeals, Primeval Titan, Emrakul, Kozilek, Elephant Grass, Show and Tell....
    Last edited by komondor; 02-17-2015 at 01:05 PM.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

I keep losing to Cloudpost. The games are super grindy and relatively close but I can't quite get over the hump. Any suggestions? Only thing I can think of is 2 Life from the Loam in the sideboard to recur ghost quarter. Normally I feel great in the grindy games due to Slaughter Games but he just has too many things I need to take. Repeals, Primeval Titan, Emrakul, Kozilek, Elephant Grass, Show and Tell....
    its not a good matchup but it appears that practice would help you considerably. All you want to take is the bounce spells. Primeval titan is good but its not a fast clock. maybe it is S&T into play on t3 and then kills you after 4 attacks on t7. The deck does not have much in the department of card advantage either. The main way they get their threats is through eye of Ugin, so ghost quarter that or pithing needle it. Karakas enables infinite turns and bouncing our token so that hurts two. Fortunately, the 12 post does not run recursion so they cannot get back a destroyed land. The deck only has a few threats. Primeval titan, Emrakul, ulamog, and sometimes Kozelik. Some versions have started running trinket mage. So maybe slaughter games their titans, and discard their bounce spells. You can control when you make a token and hold off until you get a discard spell, but you can't control when they top deck a titan.

If you have a lot of 12 post in your meta you can warp your sideboard accordingly. Elephant grass slows us down obviously but even 12 post can't pay it forever. So if you are taking away their primeval titans that will slow them down a lot since they have to draw into them.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

Thread Information