Page 26 of 166 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676126 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Turbo Depths

Re: [Deck] Dark Depths

Quote Originally Posted by adrieng View Post
    It is mainly cabal therapy food and acceleration into turn 3 token.
    Ok, Vs death and taxes and miracle side in and side out card?

miracle :
    -4 crop -2 duress -2 cabal - 2map -1 scrying
    +2 krip +2 chalice+3 surgical +3 not of this world +1 maze

death and taxes :
    -4 duress -2 map -1 probe -1 scrying -1 crop
    +2 kgrip +2 pyro +4 not of this world +1 maze

Quote Originally Posted by adrieng View Post
    miracle :
    -4 crop -2 duress -2 cabal - 2map -1 scrying
    +2 krip +2 chalice+3 surgical +3 not of this world +1 maze

death and taxes :
    -4 duress -2 map -1 probe -1 scrying -1 crop
    +2 kgrip +2 pyro +4 not of this world +1 maze
    today 3 1
    win vs miracle 2 0
    win vs elf 2 1
    lose vs ant 0 2
    win vs bug 2 0

one question: why main deck no bayou?

adrieng:How are the tests with the list?

I always liked an eva-greenish or a more rock like approach to this Deck and i was wondering if someone is playing or toying with something similar.

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Tarmogoyf
    3 Vampire Hexmage

4 Thoughtseize
    3 Hymn to tourach
    3 Living Wish
    1 Maelstrom Pulse

4 Abrupt Decay
    2 Crop Rotation

3 Liliana of the Veil

2 Senseis Divining Top

2 Bayou
    2 Swamp
    1 Forest
    2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    3 Dark Dephts
    1 Thespians Stage
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Windswept Heath
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard is under construction. Would look like

1 Vampire Hexmage
    1 dark dephts
    1 Thespians Stage
    1 Karakas
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Reklamation Sage
    2 Golgari Charm
    1 Krosan Grip
    2 Duress
    2 Toxic Deluge
    2 Surgical Extraction

Hi Guys/Girls

long time reader / first time poster, just wanted to ask if its ok when i post my twitch channel.
    Im streaming my build of this deck atm and regulary.

Im looking foward to discus this deck with you.

https://www.twitch.tv/vanudo12

Build:http://deckstats.net/deck-10247427-2...2aac4cbb4.html

Have a good one! =)

Edit: also recording the stream for replays, if someone is interested and mist it.

Dec 2015
    Bensalem, PA

Quote Originally Posted by tapedecky View Post
    Hi Guys/Girls

long time reader / first time poster, just wanted to ask if its ok when i post my twitch channel.
    Im streaming my build of this deck atm and regulary.

Im looking foward to discus this deck with you.

https://www.twitch.tv/vanudo12

Build:http://deckstats.net/deck-10247427-2...2aac4cbb4.html

Have a good one! =)

Edit: also recording the stream for replays, if someone is interested and mist it.

I'd certainly watch to see how you are doing with your version. Looked into streaming myself a while ago, but its a royal pain without a second monitor (which I don't have atm). Replays would be sweet too!

Feb 2014
    Los Angeles, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton! View Post
    I always liked an eva-greenish or a more rock like approach to this Deck and i was wondering if someone is playing or toying with something similar.

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Tarmogoyf
    3 Vampire Hexmage

4 Thoughtseize
    3 Hymn to tourach
    3 Living Wish
    1 Maelstrom Pulse

4 Abrupt Decay
    2 Crop Rotation

3 Liliana of the Veil

2 Senseis Divining Top

2 Bayou
    2 Swamp
    1 Forest
    2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    3 Dark Dephts
    1 Thespians Stage
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Windswept Heath
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard is under construction. Would look like

1 Vampire Hexmage
    1 dark dephts
    1 Thespians Stage
    1 Karakas
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Reklamation Sage
    2 Golgari Charm
    1 Krosan Grip
    2 Duress
    2 Toxic Deluge
    2 Surgical Extraction
    I helped a friend build a similar list. I like having a Wasteland, Shriekmaw, and Melira in the board. Living Wish is your trump card, so make sure you use it to its full potential.

Would you mind posting this list here?

Maybe a Volrath Stronghold can be included to loop the shriekmaw.

If i could mange i would even play a small package of Natural Order and Progenitus for another angle of surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Negator77' View Post
    I'd certainly watch to see how you are doing with your version. Looked into streaming myself a while ago, but its a royal pain without a second monitor (which I don't have atm). Replays would be sweet too!
    Last stream sadly wasnt recorded

Will stream at 19:00 CEST

Made 14th at another 1k (60 people). Same list as before, but I had Bog in the main, along with a needle (instead of library). I had 2 losses in the day, and both of them were to Death and Taxes. We just can't beat the deck. 3 people were playing it at the tournament (I counted) and I faced two of them in a row. some pretty bad luck. :/

I really like replacing Library. I haven't missed it yet. Not sure if Needle as a one-of is the right choice though. I had tried massacre in the sideboard for Death and Taxes, but it doesn't matter. The match up is just unwinnable (for the most part) and I don't think it's worth it to even waste sideboard space. I think the right play is to just have a better board for other match ups and concede to D&T. This makes me sad, because the deck is on the rise.

I write articles!
    Squandered Resources:
    Special thanks to Bornnover for the banner used in those articles.

Dec 2015
    Bensalem, PA

Quote Originally Posted by -Spooky- View Post
    Made 14th at another 1k (60 people). Same list as before, but I had Bog in the main, along with a needle (instead of library). I had 2 losses in the day, and both of them were to Death and Taxes. We just can't beat the deck. 3 people were playing it at the tournament (I counted) and I faced two of them in a row. some pretty bad luck. :/

I really like replacing Library. I haven't missed it yet. Not sure if Needle as a one-of is the right choice though. I had tried massacre in the sideboard for Death and Taxes, but it doesn't matter. The match up is just unwinnable (for the most part) and I don't think it's worth it to even waste sideboard space. I think the right play is to just have a better board for other match ups and concede to D&T. This makes me sad, because the deck is on the rise.
    It's a tough match-up, but far from unwinnable. I'm 13-12 against it now after beating it in modo league play tonight. It takes a lot (I literally bring in 10 cards against it), but it can be done. If I figure out how to record replays, I'll post some matches against it. If the cards in the board didn't have so many applications in various other match-ups, it may not be worth it... but they do imo.

Imperial Taxes, now that is closer to unwinnable.

Quote Originally Posted by Negator77' View Post
    It's a tough match-up, but far from unwinnable. I'm 13-12 against it now after beating it in modo league play tonight. It takes a lot (I literally bring in 10 cards against it), but it can be done. If I figure out how to record replays, I'll post some matches against it. If the cards in the board didn't have so many applications in various other match-ups, it may not be worth it... but they do imo.

Imperial Taxes, now that is closer to unwinnable.
    Well I'm curious now, mind providing your board and plan?

I write articles!
    Squandered Resources:

Dec 2015
    Bensalem, PA

Well I'm curious now, mind providing your board and plan?
    We obviously run different versions of the deck, but my plan is to find a small window to sneak through... so max out on needles and add the extra Ghost Quarter for sure. The Decays and Grips come in for Aether Vail + Flickerwisp nonsense and equipment (them gaining life is basically game over if they are aware that 20+ life and a sandbagged Karakas in hand is close to game over). Pithing Needles can name Karakas, Wasteland, Aether Vial, Port, Mangara, SFM, Mom, etc. Ghost Quarter is there for extra LD and the option to needle wasteland without shutting off your own ability to destroy karakas. Some # of Extractions can also come in mainly for Swords and Wasteland, but also check to see if the coast is clear in a pinch.

Generally....I board out Brainstorms, Mox's, 1 Gemstone Mine, and a Map. The Brainstorms are weaker against the taxing effects, the Mox's aren't going to accelerate you into a quick win very often and stink vs Revokers, and Map is also soft to Revoker.

In case anyone is interested, I got a feature match at the most recent 1k I attended. You can find video footage of me playing the deck in the link, as well as footage of every other feature match in the tournament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD5h9gVqb_0

I write articles!
    Squandered Resources:

Dec 2015
    Bensalem, PA

In case anyone is interested, I got a feature match at the most recent 1k I attended. You can find video footage of me playing the deck in the link, as well as footage of every other feature match in the tournament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD5h9gVqb_0
    It's always fun to watch coverage when it happens for Depths decks. I enjoyed the casual turn two bog from hand blowout!

Hello I recently saw this deck and decided to play a G/B version much like Spooky.
    Unfortunately I did make a few budget calls like 3 IoKs over Thoughtseizes and Polluted delta over Verdant Catacombs. However after playing a load of games on MTGO league I've found this deck has a chance against everything. There has been no matchup I've felt is super unwinnable except for Death and Taxes which is luckily unpopular online.
    Does anyone have any idea what to replace the two expedition maps with? They never feel useful and are always sideboarded out. Perhaps just put two mode sideboard cards maindeck?

The Deck:

Creatures-
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Vampire Hexmage

Other Spells
    4 Lotus Petal
    2 Expedition Map
    3 Into the North
    4 Crop Rotation
    3 Not of This World
    4 Sylvan Scrying
    1 Thoughtseize
    4 Duress
    3 Inquisition of Kozilek
    1 Pithing Needle

Lands
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Sejiri Steppe
    1 Snow-Covered Forest
    1 Snow-Covered Swamp
    2 Bayou
    4 Dark Depths
    4 Thespian's Stage
    4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 Bojuka Bog

SB: 3 Pithing Needle
    SB: 3 Abrupt Decay
    SB: 4 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 4 Chalice of the Void
    SB: 1 Maze of Ith

I also wrote down the my winrate (games) vs all the decks I've faced if anyone is interested in seeing that.

Dec 2015
    Bensalem, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Sprayquaza View Post
    Hello I recently saw this deck and decided to play a G/B version much like Spooky.
    Unfortunately I did make a few budget calls like 3 IoKs over Thoughtseizes and Polluted delta over Verdant Catacombs. However after playing a load of games on MTGO league I've found this deck has a chance against everything. There has been no matchup I've felt is super unwinnable except for Death and Taxes which is luckily unpopular online.
    Does anyone have any idea what to replace the two expedition maps with? They never feel useful and are always sideboarded out. Perhaps just put two mode sideboard cards maindeck?

The Deck:

Creatures-
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Vampire Hexmage

Other Spells
    4 Lotus Petal
    2 Expedition Map
    3 Into the North
    4 Crop Rotation
    3 Not of This World
    4 Sylvan Scrying
    1 Thoughtseize
    4 Duress
    3 Inquisition of Kozilek
    1 Pithing Needle

Lands
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Sejiri Steppe
    1 Snow-Covered Forest
    1 Snow-Covered Swamp
    2 Bayou
    4 Dark Depths
    4 Thespian's Stage
    4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 Bojuka Bog

SB: 3 Pithing Needle
    SB: 3 Abrupt Decay
    SB: 4 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 4 Chalice of the Void
    SB: 1 Maze of Ith

I also wrote down the my winrate (games) vs all the decks I've faced if anyone is interested in seeing that.
    The Maps are the worst tutors in both versions that I've seen you try. I run 10 tutors (albeit with some dig in brainstorms) and the list you are trying runs 13. It certainly can't hurt to try 11, squeeze either some Decays or Needles into the main, and see how it goes. If you try that, I'd definitely add a Karakas to the SB since that is always card #15 or 16 for me online and always in the SB in paper.

Always interested in more data. Feel free to post your rates and experiences with whatever versions you test.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Sprayquaza View Post

I know that the primer can be intimidating but seriously... read it. I've reposted the most relevant part to your question, but it sounds like you could benefit from a read through.

Main Deck Construction Guideline

Ultimately, this is what the stock shell currently looks like:

The basic skeleton is below and should be followed closely to maintain consistency.

Combo - 12 (4 Dark Depths 4 Thespian's Stage 4 Vampire Hexmage)
    Tutors - 8 - 12 (4 Crop Rotation 4 Expedition Map 4 Sylvan Scrying)
    Additional Draw - 5
    Protection - 13 (Pithing Needle, Inquisition of Kozilek, Duress, Pyroblast, Ancient Stirrings, Exploration, Mox Diamond, Life from the Loam, Karakas)
    Color Producing Lands - 14 (4 of which are Urborg and can be cut if not running black)
    Utility lands - 0-4 (Sejiri Steppe, Wasteland, Maze of Ith, Ghost Quarter, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale)

The numbers can be +/- 1 maybe 2 but remember that the greater the deviation, the less consistency you will have with the deck.

8 -12 tutors provide a very consistent basis for assembling the combo very quickly. Recent Versions have been only been using 8 4Crop Rotation 4 Expedition Map with no reported loss of consistency. So, if you need to make room for other cards you can cut the number to 8 but I would not go less than that.

5 additional draw spells aid in consistency. Sylvan library has been the typical choice because it allows you to recover quickly in the event of swords to plowshares. Sensei's Divining Top works as well since it is not dependent on green mana. Usually a split between the two is appropriate.

2. Tutors

Crop Rotation: This is single handedly the best tutor for the deck. For the cost of 1 green mana you instantly get the missing combo piece or defensive card you are lacking. The land come into play untapped so it is essentially free.

Expedition Map: Although it is slightly more costly than sylvan scrying it allows you to search with colorless mana which is especially important under blood moon effects.

Sylvan Scrying: 1 mana less than expedition map but requires green, which is not commonly an issue.

Sylvan Library: The best draw spell for green. This card helps significantly over other cards like Mirri’s Guile because it allows you to translate life into cards in the event that Marit Lage gets Swords to Plowshares

If you dont find a card you excpect to be under a certain section, do a ctrl + find for it, its more than likely under a different section. Into the north is an example.

Into the North: This is great because it puts any snow covered land directly into play. While it does get Dark Depths, it does not compare to the versatility of sylvan scrying.

SO after reading all of that, you should be able to deduce that into the north is the least versatile tutor in your deck and in my opinion, it should be cut first. Expedition map is next on the chopping block because it is the most costly. HOWEVER, map is really good under moon effects so, if you have trouble with moon effects this is a great card to include, otherwise, not so much. Looking at your list, i would probably substitute some of your inefficient tutors for sylvan library. Alot of times, what you need is on top of your deck, and because you are a turbo version, you can use the extra cards immediately. Things like lotus petal, spirit guides and not of this world are all playable the turn you get them and can help in multiples.

-3 into the north +3 sylvan library
    OR -2 expedition map -1 into the north +3 sylvan library

if I recall correctly libraries are expensive online so you may want to think about them when you draw expedition map / into the north and see if they would have been beneficial.
    If there is information missing in the primer or that you would like added let me know. PM or post here.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Dec 2015
    Bensalem, PA

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post

SO after reading all of that, you should be able to deduce that into the north is the least versatile tutor in your deck and in my opinion, it should be cut first. Expedition map is next on the chopping block because it is the most costly. HOWEVER, map is really good under moon effects so, if you have trouble with moon effects this is a great card to include, otherwise, not so much. Looking at your list, i would probably substitute some of your inefficient tutors for sylvan library. Alot of times, what you need is on top of your deck, and because you are a turbo version, you can use the extra cards immediately. Things like lotus petal, spirit guides and not of this world are all playable the turn you get them and can help in multiples.

-3 into the north +3 sylvan library
    OR -2 expedition map -1 into the north +3 sylvan library

if I recall correctly libraries are expensive online so you may want to think about them when you draw expedition map / into the north and see if they would have been beneficial.
    If there is information missing in the primer or that you would like added let me know. PM or post here.

I think part of the issue here is that the version he/she is currently running is pretty different from the primer lists. The list is much more speed based and closer to an all in deck. Like you pointed out, there are literally zero draw spells in the deck plus only 3 answers (Decays) to an on board Blood Moon, all of which are in the sideboard. The traditional upside of Expedition Map in finding a basic land is a lot smaller when there are a grand total of 3 B/G answers to a resolved Blood Moon. In a version running sylvan, some grips, decays, etc, Map can obviously be better. In this version, I think it is actually straight up worse than Into the North. ITN does exactly what this version is trying to do, accelerates into the kill asap. The more you add draw, filtering, more answers at the expense of top speed (closer to the primer lists)... the better map gets imo.

Sylvan Library ranges from .40 to about 2-3 depending on the version nowadays.. Price shouldn't be an issue if anyone wants to try it out there.

Thread Information