Page 40 of 166 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090140 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Turbo Depths

Re: [Deck] Dark Depths

Well that was interesting to see this deck to win

EDIT: Listening the interview after the match. EE doesnt work against Marit Lage since its indestructible btw.
    "Everything is better topless"

I'm so happy for Oran. Great job!

Be careful not to give away too many winning lines...

Quote Originally Posted by DNSolver View Post
    I'm so happy for Oran. Great job!

Be careful not to give away too many winning lines...

That's what I'm thinking. I'm super happy that Oran won, and that the deck is getting a spotlight now. But jeez, now I won't have nearly as many opponents misplaying against me. People actually know that Not of this World is a card, now. :(

I write articles!
    Squandered Resources:
    Special thanks to Bornnover for the banner used in those articles.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Updated the primer with Orans list

would be interested to hear what you would change. SB looks a little strange.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    That was fast. Lol.

Probably want to change this part of the primer, too.
    "Currently the deck has an amazing set of tools to make it successful and although Dark Depths has not won any major events, its lack of stardom is probably attributable to the fact its is incredibly underrepresented. It is only a matter of time before the deck comes to fruition."

I write articles!
    Squandered Resources:
    Special thanks to Bornnover for the banner used in those articles.

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post

would be interested to hear what you would change. SB looks a little strange.
    Sb was little strange since he wasn't sure about two cards so he picked k.grip and Crucible I think
    "Everything is better topless"

Jan 2011
    York

Kinda sucks everyone will be ready for dark depths at the baltimore open. Not of this world did work for him its has me questioning my bug list.

Well that was a crazy weekend. Yes, now that I look at it, EE was the wrong choice. I should have taken force.

I tried not to give too much away ;) and I know I made mistakes. As far as SB goes, crucible wins grindy games. I didn't love krosan and might change to choke or something else for miracles. No words really. Just happy to eat food. Have not done that today yet.

Thanks for all the support here guys. Bouncing ideas off you guys really helped. I didn't expect this to happen, I just want to have a fun weekend. Glad I could represent the deck. Get your foil NoTW now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

Quote Originally Posted by l33twash0r View Post
    Well that was interesting to see this deck to win

EDIT: Listening the interview after the match. EE doesnt work against Marit Lage since its indestructible btw.
    Daniel Miller played to lose.
    The purpose of any moat is to impede attack. Some are filled with water, some with thistles. Some are filled with things best left unseen.

Jun 2016
    Indianapolis, IN

I just finished getting pieces for this deck and am stoked to see it win. Great job Oran! That was a blast to see you power through some of the deck's toughest matchups!

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexPants View Post
    I didn't love krosan and might change to choke or something else for miracles. No words really. Just happy to eat food. Have not done that today yet.

Thanks for all the support here guys. Bouncing ideas off you guys really helped. I didn't expect this to happen, I just want to have a fun weekend. Glad I could represent the deck. Get your foil NoTW now!

Krosan grip was included originally because Sneak attack was a thing, and at that time OMNItell was very popular. Obviously abrupt decay doesn't hit omni or sneak so 2-3 grips were included. Now i think omni is dead and sneak and show has fallen out of favor. Krosan grip targets that are not also hit by decay are few and far between now. One of the earlier issues was being able to produce black and green for abrupt decay under blood moon. With the lotus petals and ESG's its not much of an issue that it was for other versions.

ordered them as soon as i saw u were in the finals.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

Congrats, ComplexPants! Amazing to see this deck win it all!
    Re: Eldritch Moon and Emrakul

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    You're right that the set symbol is a pretty big giveaway though, and it's not like anyone was expecting anything else after the last block. It's like they brought out Neil Pert and Alex Lifeson, then announced a "mysterious special guest" would be joining them. Well of course it's fucking Geddy Lee.

congrat on the finish!!! well deserved esp vs the field

hopefully this doesnt mean we will face too much extra hate :)

Gah. I can't sleep and watched the stream. I made too many mistakes lol.

But I will tell you why I took entreat. At that time I didn't have the combo assembled. And I had a NoTW. I figured if I combo'd I'd have a chance at protecting merit, but if he brain stormed the entreat back I was dead. I figured dropping one merit, and gaining 20 life had better chances of winning than hoping I combo first than him find a brainstorm or jace.

Also the depths turn 1 against Eldrazi, I knew that his list didn't have wastelands and I didn't want to give him the extra mana with urborg if he dropped an eye.

Congratulation to Oran for the fantastic result with the most underrated deck in the mtg history.
    I started to play it a month ago and I immediatly saw its power, there are a lot of bye in contrast to the other combo decks. My real problems are the games post board against Miracles, I have tried some strategies like Rite of Consumption+Boseiju, some different side out but nothing of relevant at the end of tests.
    So what is the better gameplan for you post side? And what are the better sides out? LP and Elves or not?

Thanks a lot

Yeah that's a great job for the deck. As for myself I still prefer my list, but yeah not of this world is a great card against specific matchups that's why I prefer having it in side.
    Hopefully we ll get a report, I didn't see the match is there a top 8 covergaged somewhere can soemeone give the link.

Apple : Made some very little change to my list -1 llanowar waste +1 khalni garden -1 duress +1 scrying.

could you also update the primer on the sideboard strategies from my list according to what is said here :

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...-Depths/page33

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexPants View Post
    Gah. I can't sleep and watched the stream. I made too many mistakes lol.

But I will tell you why I took entreat. At that time I didn't have the combo assembled. And I had a NoTW. I figured if I combo'd I'd have a chance at protecting merit, but if he brain stormed the entreat back I was dead. I figured dropping one merit, and gaining 20 life had better chances of winning than hoping I combo first than him find a brainstorm or jace.

Also the depths turn 1 against Eldrazi, I knew that his list didn't have wastelands and I didn't want to give him the extra mana with urborg if he dropped an eye.

i think taking the entreat was the correct play because you needed to play safe. Taking the swords seemed obvious but it wasn't an immediate threat.

Quote Originally Posted by adrieng View Post

Apple : Made some very little change to my list -1 llanowar waste +1 khalni garden -1 duress +1 scrying.

could you also update the primer on the sideboard strategies from my list according to what is said here :

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...-Depths/page33
    done

also, did you ever come to a verdict on Tainted Pact?
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

also, did you ever come to a verdict on Tainted Pact?
    The main idea was to have something which could be both disruption and combo pieces ;
    but I have concluded that it is better to have a good amount of both without something which is a bit random and slow.
    adding some top does a better job here also I have prefered cutting it with library for more disruption cabal therapy increase of combo density with probe

Long time lurker, but first things first, congrats on the win!!!

I took down a local win-a-dual event with the following list and am looking for input on the board (gloom = meh, prob go back to 4 decay/4 surgical). My Therapy-fuu is pretty strong as a 10 year dredge player, but I unfortunately do not own Bayous and will most likely be unable to get them before the legacy GP in Japan. I also kind of want to shave the library + 1 Not of + 2 Into the Norths for Gitaxian Probes, but I feel this might be too gimmicky.

Maindeck

4 Dark Depths
    4 Urborg
    4 Thespain
    1 Snow Covered Forest
    1 Snow Covered Swamp
    1 Khalni Garden
    1 Sejiri Steppe
    1 Karakas
    1 Ghost Quarter
    4 Blooming Marsh
    1 Bojuka Bog

4 Petal
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Vampire Hexmage
    4 Crop Rotation
    4 Sylvan Scrying
    1 Sylvan Library (iffy)
    2 Into the North
    3 Not of this World
    3 Pithing Needle
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Cabal Therapy

Sideboard

1 Not of this world
    3 Surgical Extraction
    4 Sphere of Resistance
    1 Maze of Ith
    3 Abrupt Decay
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Gloom (ehhhhhhhhhh)

Quick Report

Round 1 - Eldrazi (2-0) - Comboed out on Turn 2 both games, pretty non-descript with really strong draws.
    Round 2 - Omnitell (2-0) - Game 1 Rip his hand to shreds with Tseize + therapy + Crop rotated garden, then combo on turn 4. Game 2 I run out a dark depths, he S&Ts a griselbrand but I drop hexmage. Checkmate.
    Round 3 - Miracles (2-0) - game 1 I combo out on turn 3 after thoughtseizing his Top & Force. Game 2 is a 20+ turn drawn out affair where gloom was pretty iffy, but abrupt decay was 100% ridiculous. I jammed a Sylvan Library on Turn 6-7ish with therapy support, then crafted a double not of this world crop rotation into sejiri steppe "hand" to get him.
    Round 4 - ID w/ TEPS - Ew
    Round 5 - ID w/ Grixis delver - ew.
    Quarterfinals - Cloudpost (2-0) - Turns out comboing out on turn 3 with discard support is pretty good vs non-interactive ramp decks.
    Semifinals - Omnitell (2-1) - Game 1 he gets me with a fast Emrakul. Game 2 I get him with a turn 2 hexmage. Game 3 I tseize then surgical his show and tells, but play draw go until I get a dark depths tutor on turn 7ish.
    Finals - Eldrazi (2-0) - Joke matchup. Game 1 I fast combo. Game 2 I crop rotate for an early maze of ith, then go off on turn 4 w/ Urborg assistance.

[Deck] Dark Depths

I wanted to write a full tournament report for you guys, but honestly, there are only a few matches I really remember in detail. Also, I am writing this on a pretty sleepless night and in an airport, so please forgive if this is poorly written. I will look it over and correct it later.

For the top 8, the coverage is archived at https://www.twitch.tv/cardtitan/v/98040029 if you scroll about to the one hour mark. You can see the start of the legacy top 8. I made a decent amount of misplays and thought about some cards wrong. I think taking EE was the right choice, but I took it for the wrong reason. In the interview I was thinking it was an answer to Merit, but blanked on the indestructibility. But it was right, because it was an answer to my various prison pieces.

Ok, instead of specific matches, I want to talk about a few of my choices. People were asking about my SB, which doesn't look like everyone elses.

Crucible of Worlds - I didn't play this in the legacy trial, I tested out Gloom instead. This deck obviously wants to go fast, and win games ASAP, but decks like Miracles, D&T, Maverick, BUG, want to slow you down and get grindy. If you think you are going into a grindy game, this is your silver bullet. I have played several match-up where my opponent had to deal with 3 Merits before finishing me off. When talking to my buddy, we came to the conclusion, that if I can keep chaining the combo from the graveyard, it makes it really hard on them to keep finding answers. Wasteland is good, but if you are not running loam (or your own crucible) you can only do that 4 times. Crucible out of the board says I can do that a lot. It is also money with GQ for dealing with Karakas, or even just hating out decks like 4c delver or deathblade with greedy mana bases. I was very very happy with this in my board. I would consider going to 2 even.

Krosan Grip - I was debating decay #4 or extraction #4. I didn't bring the 4th extraction, so that was out and abrupt is good, but doesn't always get me to where I need to be. My one match loss from the weekend was against BR reanimator which played a turn 3 blood moon in game 3. Abrupts mana is a bit harder, even though it has wider targets. Krosan I felt would help with this. Also, as pointed out above it is good for sneak attack and omni, which I didn't really think about when I put it in. I think this is a flex spot for the meta you are expecting.

Winter Orb - A bit of a pet card from playing magic when Time Elemental was first printed (bounce it on the end step, so you untap but your opponent doesn't). I was thinking about this for the miracles and shardless matchups. Shardless was are favored game 1, but they can easily hate us if they keep the right hand. This makes it hard for them to keep playing cards and slows their card advantage down a bit. DRS gets around this a bit, but it immediately was decay'd the one time I played it against shardless. Against miracles, it makes them think about spinning the top each turn, which is totally awesome for making games go faster. But I think it puts strain on them, and makes them think about hard casting FoW or Jace. Also good against the legendary miracles matchup (no cycling venser or cliques for them). May not be optimal, but not horrible.

Sylvan Library - This card won me so many games. I played against infect and he managed to Swords a Merit and I just started digging 3 cards a turn and found the combo again ASAP. It helped me win again Miracles but building double NoTW. At least 1 will be in my main. Possible -1 IOK for a second.

Gloom - I really really wanted this card to be awesome. It is solid in D&T, but definitely slow to get out there, which might be too late. It also doesn't help with vial. In Miracles, it just didn't win the match, or significantly hamper them. If it was a turn 1 play that would be different. But turn 2-3 is not great. I decided the other options were better.

I have to board my plane now. I'll post some thoughts on specific match-ups and generally how I sideboarded later.
    Last edited by ComplexPants; 10-31-2016 at 08:23 AM.

Thread Information