Page 160 of 160 FirstFirst ... 60110150156157158159160
Results 3,181 to 3,191 of 3191

Thread: [DTB] Turbo Depths

  1. #3181

    Re: [Deck] Turbo Depths

    More about defending lands. I have recently bought an oldie: Pyramids. any chance to use it?

    Enviado desde mi WAS-LX1A mediante Tapatalk

  2. #3182

    Re: [Deck] Turbo Depths

    explosion zone will clearly see plays in depth at least a one off maindeck, finally a land that can kill everything from needle to b2b, bridge balance creatures...

    https://www.mtgsalvation.com/spoiler...r-of-the-spark

    i tested a bit the card it is too slow but might have a slot in side
    Last edited by adrieng; 04-18-2019 at 03:24 AM.

  3. #3183
    Member
    Mr. Safety's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2010
    Location

    New Gloucester, Maine, USA
    Posts

    3,829

    Re: [Deck] Turbo Depths

    Quote Originally Posted by adrieng View Post
    explosion zone will clearly see plays in depth at least a one off maindeck, finally a land that can kill everything from needle to b2b, bridge balance creatures...

    https://www.mtgsalvation.com/spoiler...r-of-the-spark
    Yeah, i'm definitely going to nab a copy. Not sure if its main or side material as of yet, leaning towards side.
    I am counted amongst legions of the unrighteous
    who dread not being immersed in pits of fire

  4. #3184

    [Deck] Turbo Depths

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Yeah, i'm definitely going to nab a copy. Not sure if its main or side material as of yet, leaning towards side.
    Iím not gonna play a single copy. I want my removal to kill
    1) blood moon
    2) bridge / elephant grass
    3) wastelands
    4) other lockpieces and hatebears
    5) threats to buy time

    Thus i will keep playing trophy and decay. It looks strong in lands who already played ee in some lists and can recur it with Loam.

  5. #3185
    Member
    Negator77''s Avatar
    Join Date

    Dec 2015
    Location

    Bensalem, PA
    Posts

    160

    Re: [Deck] Turbo Depths

    Quote Originally Posted by adrieng View Post
    explosion zone will clearly see plays in depth at least a one off maindeck, finally a land that can kill everything from needle to b2b, bridge balance creatures...

    https://www.mtgsalvation.com/spoiler...r-of-the-spark

    The card is glacially slow. It takes tapping 4 lands (sacrificing zone) to kill a 1 drop or 2... tapping four lands twice + sac to kill 2 drops..etc. What match-ups does that actually help in? What are the best case scenario in those mu's? This is a card that is more likely to be used and help dedicated Life From the Loam decks that take on more of a control role at times and where it can be recurred in my opinion.

    As an aside since you specifically mention the card, this card is terrible vs Back to Basics. Unless you are already way ahead and have it out AND powered up to 3 counters before Back to Basics hits that table, it will never be able to untap to be used with 3 counters.

  6. #3186
    Member
    Mr. Safety's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2010
    Location

    New Gloucester, Maine, USA
    Posts

    3,829

    Re: [Deck] Turbo Depths

    Well, that settles it. I don't need to waste my time on the card. Well reasoned and clear, this new land doesn't solve any problems or upgrade any tech.
    I am counted amongst legions of the unrighteous
    who dread not being immersed in pits of fire

  7. #3187

    Re: [Deck] Turbo Depths

    Abrupt Decay/Trophy already solves most of our issues.
    Solnox on MTGO

    Miracles is a good matchup for depths. Quote me on this

    Griselbrand is not an interesting creature.

    Dread it. Run from it. Marit Lage still arrives

  8. #3188
    Site Contributor
    apple713's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2012
    Location

    Amherst, NY
    Posts

    2,043

    Re: [Deck] Turbo Depths

    Quote Originally Posted by adrieng View Post
    explosion zone will clearly see plays in depth at least a one off maindeck, finally a land that can kill everything from needle to b2b, bridge balance creatures...

    https://www.mtgsalvation.com/spoiler...r-of-the-spark
    This is pretty slow. I think the best case scenario is to crop rotation it into play and add two counters EOT and then pop it next turn. It's not really a land you ever want to draw because it's another colorless land. It does nothing against combo decks and doens't really help against Blood Moon decks / D&T. Too slow against D&T with their wastelands and flickerwisps. This probably falls into the same category as pernicious deed. Should see play as it has good applications but it's too slow for what we want.

    I think the best part about it is that it can't be countered so it helps against control matches but I think it's not great in other matches.
    Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

    Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi
    Currently looking for Beta duals - Find me on Magictraders.com as "Apple"

    why cards are so expensive...hoarders

  9. #3189
    Member
    Mr. Safety's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2010
    Location

    New Gloucester, Maine, USA
    Posts

    3,829

    Re: [DTB] Turbo Depths

    Has anyone been testing this with the London mulligan? I've done a few goldfish games and it definitely feels better after a mulligan. If the London mulligan goes live for legacy i think i'll end up either cutting dark confidant or sideboarding some number.

    I'm not looking to open a can of worms in the mulligan in general, just how it might affect this deck in particular.
    I am counted amongst legions of the unrighteous
    who dread not being immersed in pits of fire

  10. #3190
    Member
    Negator77''s Avatar
    Join Date

    Dec 2015
    Location

    Bensalem, PA
    Posts

    160

    Re: [DTB] Turbo Depths

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Has anyone been testing this with the London mulligan? I've done a few goldfish games and it definitely feels better after a mulligan. If the London mulligan goes live for legacy i think i'll end up either cutting dark confidant or sideboarding some number.

    I'm not looking to open a can of worms in the mulligan in general, just how it might affect this deck in particular.
    I'm up about 6% over my average win rate with the London mulligan. Its a very small sample size, but I think the rule is good for depths (full disclosure, I dislike it personally for the format). Two pieces of it specifically are very good for Depths. The first is the scry rule going away makes turn 1 discard much better since opponents don't get to hide powerful cards on top. Choosing the best 6 out of 7 (or 5 out of 7, etc) leaves all of their cards vulnerable to discard. A rule that encourages aggressive mulligans plays to the advantage of discard spells generally as well. The second is A + B combo decks that aren't vulnerable to crazy hate cards like Leyline feel great. Depths easily can assemble a devastating 5 card hand. Having three or more looks at 7 cards makes it very likely that you will start just about every game with a path to the combo plus a disruption piece.

  11. #3191
    Member
    Mr. Safety's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2010
    Location

    New Gloucester, Maine, USA
    Posts

    3,829

    Re: [DTB] Turbo Depths

    Quote Originally Posted by Negator77' View Post
    I'm up about 6% over my average win rate with the London mulligan. Its a very small sample size, but I think the rule is good for depths (full disclosure, I dislike it personally for the format). Two pieces of it specifically are very good for Depths. The first is the scry rule going away makes turn 1 discard much better since opponents don't get to hide powerful cards on top. Choosing the best 6 out of 7 (or 5 out of 7, etc) leaves all of their cards vulnerable to discard. A rule that encourages aggressive mulligans plays to the advantage of discard spells generally as well. The second is A + B combo decks that aren't vulnerable to crazy hate cards like Leyline feel great. Depths easily can assemble a devastating 5 card hand. Having three or more looks at 7 cards makes it very likely that you will start just about every game with a path to the combo plus a disruption piece.
    I agree on both points. I was thinking it makes this deck better, and you are confirming it with actual data. I also generally dislike the change for the format as a whole, especially considering the incentive to play Moon Stompy gets more enticing with more consistent t1 Chalice/Moon games. (Possibly our worst matchup?)

    If the rule goes live, I think the numbers get a little harder to nail down for discard and tutors. I've been on 7 discard for a while, but given the nature of opponent's having more incentive to mulligan I think I'd want 8 for maximum disruption. I've also been on 7 tutors forever (4 CR/3 Scrying) but I think I might want to shave that down. With more opportunities to mulligan into a combo + disruption with a 5-6 card hand I think the 'slower' route of tutoring for combo pieces becomes a little less important. All theoretical of course, I'm just spitballing here. I'm curious if any ratios really need to change, but it feels like we can get a little greedier, squeezing utility disruption into another 1-2 slots maindeck because it's a little easier to mull into a great hand.

    In particular, I'm wondering if Abrupt Decay/Assassin's Trophy are maindeck cards now that Moon Stompy is more dangerous, probably one of our worst matchups. Same with combo decks that are slightly faster, they are a little more consistent now as well (hence going back to 8 discard.)

    Thoughts anyone? Can we be a little 'looser' with the maindeck with a more consistent mulligan available or am I nuts?
    Last edited by Mr. Safety; 04-22-2019 at 03:43 PM.
    I am counted amongst legions of the unrighteous
    who dread not being immersed in pits of fire

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)