Page 30 of 166 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080130 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Turbo Depths

Dec 2015
    Bensalem, PA

Re: [Deck] Dark Depths

Quote Originally Posted by Zooligan View Post
    No specific situations. I'm just starting to pick up DD and was looking for some general guidelines for Needle targets. It's just kind of the way I process how to play a deck, constructing a general framework and matrix of options and then figuring out the specifics from there.
    Off the top of my head, here are some of the main decks I bring Needles in against and general names:

Miracles - S.D. Top the majority of the time asap. After that, it's probably Jace, especially if you think they can set up any kind of blocking situation where you can't use Sejiri Steppe safely (Clique to block with white up for STP, Angel token in play and you are worried about Venser or Clique, etc.) There are rare corner case scenarios where you can maybe cut them off of white naming a fetch.

Delver - Wasteland basically all day every day. As long as you have enough lands and can get away with exposing one of your first land drops to Wasteland, I like waiting until turn 2 if you are on the draw to play around daze. On the play, it gets slammed turn 1. I've named Deathrite and even fetches on rare occasions.

Eldrazi - This match-up depends on the version. Wasteland is still probably #1. Karakas, Eldrazi Displacer, and Endbringer are all cards to keep in mind as well. Its a match-up where there is often a tension between blind naming and waiting. Blind naming Wasteland on turn 1 and them playing Karakas is miserable and I've been on the receiving end of that one. The flip side of that is that waiting can burn you badly if they Chalice on 1 and we don't have Decay or Hexmage or if a turn 2 Thought Knot Seer takes the Needle.

Lands - It varies every game in this match-up. Frequent names include Wasteland, Port, Karakas (mostly post board nowadays), Maze, and Stage (if you have the Hexmage path esp). Letting the game develop and figuring out what you need to deal with is often the correct path.

Death and Taxes - Wasteland, Karakas, Vial, Port, Equipment, SFM, Mom, etc.

Hey guys wanted to let you know I Top 4 a 1k eternal extravaganza today with Dark Depths. I'll post my deck list and quick tournament report later. My only lose today was to the same guy playing deck in Swiss and in top 4 :-(. Any help on the matchup would be great, it felt very unwinnable.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

May 2015
    Dominarian Slum

top8'ed a local monthly this weekend

http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=13309&d=278135&f=LE
    Tusk Up

has anybody tried replacing either the petal or guide for deathrite shaman?

Quote Originally Posted by CovenantElite30 View Post
    Hey guys wanted to let you know I Top 4 a 1k eternal extravaganza today with Dark Depths. I'll post my deck list and quick tournament report later. My only lose today was to the same guy playing deck in Swiss and in top 4 :-(. Any help on the matchup would be great, it felt very unwinnable.

Share with us your list ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Serch View Post
    Share with us your list ;)
    Sorry for the delay. I was planning on writing up a report as well.

4 Vampire Hexmage
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Crop Rotation
    3 Sylvan Scrying
    3 Into the North
    3 Not of This World
    4 Duress
    2 Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 Thoughtseize
    3 Pithing Needle
    1 Steely Resolve
    4 Lotus Petal

4 Dark Depths
    4 Thespian's Stage
    3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Wooded Foothills
    3 Bayou
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Sejiri Steppe
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Snow-Covered Swamp
    1 Snow-Covered Forest

sideboard
    1 Karakas
    1 Maze of Ith
    4 Surgical Extraction
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Abrupt Decay
    1 Sphere of Resistance
    1 Crucible of Worlds

Changes I would make would be to drop the 1 Crucible of Worlds for another Pithing Needle. Pithing needle is so important to name wasteland, maze, karakas.

Fizzling Since '03
    Mar 2011
    Canada

This deck has been running rampant on MTGO! Keep it up guys!
    ''The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.'' Lord Eddard Stark - A Game of Thrones

-Adsum

-ChrisMeister on MTGO

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Froggy View Post
    The deck feels well positioned in the meta right now especially on MTGO.

I would say Lands and D&T are the 2 hard options. I know people have had issues with ANT but post sideboard I feel like its in our favor.

Feb 2016
    Rock Hill, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Froggy View Post
    Someone needs to post some gameply vids to youtube. I still feel like I'm playing this deck far from optimally.

[Deck] Dark Depths

Just picked this deck up online and I love playing it. It is just brutally efficient. However, if you can't fire off dark depths, what is the backup plan? I used to play twin in Modern and loved it because it could win through tempo plays while threatening the combo. I know hexmage beats can be a thing, but I feel like once we try to combo off we win or die.

I saw some versions that play bob or DRS. Why did those get taken out of the deck? They seem like a good option to have some tempo and get around things like ensnaring bridge.

Also, what do you guys think about winter orb in the sideboard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Sorry for the delay. I was planning on writing up a report as well.

4 Vampire Hexmage
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Crop Rotation
    3 Sylvan Scrying
    3 Into the North
    3 Not of This World
    4 Duress
    2 Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 Thoughtseize
    3 Pithing Needle
    1 Steely Resolve
    4 Lotus Petal

4 Dark Depths
    4 Thespian's Stage
    3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Wooded Foothills
    3 Bayou
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Sejiri Steppe
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Snow-Covered Swamp
    1 Snow-Covered Forest

sideboard
    1 Karakas
    1 Maze of Ith
    4 Surgical Extraction
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Abrupt Decay
    1 Sphere of Resistance
    1 Crucible of Worlds

Changes I would make would be to drop the 1 Crucible of Worlds for another Pithing Needle. Pithing needle is so important to name wasteland, maze, karakas.
    How has Chalice out of the sideboard been with so many 1-drops main?

If you want a deck that can play a real game or combo out then you probably don't want to be on the aggressive list since hexmage and ESG beats are just as bad as they sound.

The bob/deathrite versions are still running around, they just don't seem to be nearly as popular as the combo list. The main trade-off between them is speed and resiliency so you may end up liking the slower builds a little better if you value having a backup plan and playing actual magic cards.

Yeah sorry about not splitting at top 4. I wanted that bye. You did have some neat foil cards :D

Quote Originally Posted by supremePINEAPPLE View Post
    If you want a deck that can play a real game or combo out then you probably don't want to be on the aggressive list since hexmage and ESG beats are just as bad as they sound.

The bob/deathrite versions are still running around, they just don't seem to be nearly as popular as the combo list. The main trade-off between them is speed and resiliency so you may end up liking the slower builds a little better if you value having a backup plan and playing actual magic cards.
    I realize this is the super aggressive lands build, just seeing if there was a plan B. Slowly working towards control lands too. Damn them ports and diamonds being expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexPants View Post
    I realize this is the super aggressive lands build, just seeing if there was a plan B. Slowly working towards control lands too. Damn them ports and diamonds being expensive!
    I was talking about slower versions of the dark depths deck like what hymnyou posted a little ways up. They are playing things like bob, sylvan library, and deathrite instead of some of the acceleration or enablers.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by supremePINEAPPLE View Post
    I was talking about slower versions of the dark depths deck like what hymnyou posted a little ways up. They are playing things like bob, sylvan library, and deathrite instead of some of the acceleration or enablers.
    Slower versions of the deck wont do much better. If to want a slower control version you could just play lands. However there isnt much gained from it. Lands shares the same struggles as this deck but is slower and more grindy. It has slghtly better creature matches but creature decks arnt really our weakness, so that benefit is negligible.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    Slower versions of the deck wont do much better. If to want a slower control version you could just play lands. However there isnt much gained from it. Lands shares the same struggles as this deck but is slower and more grindy. It has slghtly better creature matches but creature decks arnt really our weakness, so that benefit is negligible.
    I agree. I've tried out the 3 main versions (Turbo, BG and BUG). Out of the 3 I've tried the turbo version has given me the best results. Between paper and online I've played around 50 matches and am at a 67 win percentage. The turbo version is faster and just steals wins.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

I think I am around 80% match wins right now, my my only loss to miracles because I miss played. Just a random question, do you think this deck is doing well because people don't know how to play against it or just because it is so consistent and fast. I am currently planning on taking the deck to eternal weekend and would like to be competitive in the open event.

Also, how do you guys handle Ensnaring bridge once it hits the field? Hope you get an abrupt?

I think I am around 80% match wins right now, my my only loss to miracles because I miss played. Just a random question, do you think this deck is doing well because people don't know how to play against it or just because it is so consistent and fast. I am currently planning on taking the deck to eternal weekend and would like to be competitive in the open event.

Also, how do you guys handle Ensnaring bridge once it hits the field? Hope you get an abrupt?

thats just tough luck having 8 1cmc discard spells to get that, same as blood moon.

I found myself losing to wasteland most of the time if I didn't have the combo early.

You have to get needle down or combo before they can wasteland you.

If your playing against white decks obviously make sure you have protection before you combo.

Against miracles I generally just name top. That's why needle is so important and why I want a 4th in the board.

Thread Information