Page 164 of 164 FirstFirst ... 64114154160161162163164
Results 3,261 to 3,265 of 3265

Thread: [Deck] Turbo Depths

Nov 2014
    Geneva

Re: [Deck] Turbo Depths

Quote Originally Posted by Xod View Post
    Thanks for sharing, interesting reading.
    But I have to say I disagree with one of your statement:
    "So yes, in Turbo Depths [Once Upon a Time] is not bad, but also not better than the existing cards (it does provide a free replacement for a faster combo)"

And here is why: Turbo Depths is a deck that plays 0 to 4 Sylvan Scrying (a lot of the Slow Depths list have cut the card completely), depending on the version played. Well, I think Once Upon A Time is actually doing a much better job than Sylvan Scrying. And you have to compare it to this precise card, because both cards are used almost in the same way and are in direct competition. Unlike Crop Rotation , which is (at least in Depths decks) clearly superior and a must-have card. Same idea with Elvish Reclaimer: it is not only an instant speed tutor that use no land drop (same than Crop Rotation) but also a creature with a good body. You could also maybe compare it with Sylvan Library, but I think that would be a mistake, since Sylvan Library's purpose is clearly different.

So, to sum it up: I think that in Turbo Depths, the only card that we should compare to Once Upon A Time is Sylvan Scrying. And if we compare both cards, Once Upon A Time is in my opinion strictly better than the only existing card we can compare it to:

Once Upon A Time compared to Sylvan Scrying

con:
    - search only in the top 5 cards of your library.

pro:
    - can also find creature cards.
    - is an instant.
    - can be played for free if it's the first spell you play.

So...this is pretty clear to me: pro > con !

Of course, this is only my opinion, based on my intuition and supported by the testings I did until now. So please tell me if you disagree, and why (maybe your testing went differently than mine!)!
    I might have missed something, but only the fact that a famous Depths player like DNSolver still choose to play Sylvan Scrying over Once Upon A Time makes me question again this whole comparison. And truth is that until I get a new explanation or new data from testing, I think it is sub-optimal to run Sylvan Scrying over Once Upon A Time.

And also: "So yes, in Turbo Depths [Once Upon a Time] is not bad, but also not better than the existing cards (it does provide a free replacement for a faster combo)" --> I want a faster combo every day!

So can see my list in the link earlier provided where I ended 4th.

Played 4 Sylvan Scrying and 2 Once upon a time. You are absolutely correct about the pro's. But that one con is bigger than you think.

For example, you can create marit lage, but you need a sejiri steppe to get him through, there is no guarantee that Once upon a Time will find that card. Same with the other one offs. (Bojuka Bog, Ghost Quarter, ) things that you need on that moment to win the game.

So YES, it provides a (slightly) faster combo, but not a better one. I'm more of a fast combo man myself than the slower, more versitile version (with reclaimer). But I would NEVER replace Scrying by it. But it does complement it greatly.
    I see it as Sylvan Scrying 5-8, but with a different approach.

Nov 2014
    Geneva

Quote Originally Posted by Xod View Post
    So can see my list in the link earlier provided where I ended 4th.

Played 4 Sylvan Scrying and 2 Once upon a time. You are absolutely correct about the pro's. But that one con is bigger than you think.

For example, you can create marit lage, but you need a sejiri steppe to get him through, there is no guarantee that Once upon a Time will find that card. Same with the other one offs. (Bojuka Bog, Ghost Quarter, ) things that you need on that moment to win the game.

So YES, it provides a (slightly) faster combo, but not a better one. I'm more of a fast combo man myself than the slower, more versitile version (with reclaimer). But I would NEVER replace Scrying by it. But it does complement it greatly.
    I see it as Sylvan Scrying 5-8, but with a different approach.
    Makes sense, but I think there is a better alternative to circumvent the problem you mentioned: running 4 Elvish Reclaimer alongside 4 Once Upon A Time.

Because I also think a through-the-whole-library-toolbox potential is needed. But I think that Reclaimer does that overall better than Sylvan Scrying, even in the turbo version. And Reclaimer is able to circumvent the land drop at ritual speed condition that Sylvan Scrying requires. So I really think the Reclaimer + OuaT is the way to go.

Nov 2010
    New Gloucester, Maine, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Darkgobs View Post
    Well, I also feel like now is the time to paly the original Turbo list (and not the "Slow Depths" list), which I did. A few things:

1) I am also very curious to hear about the return from Not from this world. I play without them or without maindeck Safekeeper, but with 4x Elvish Reclaimer (veeerrry good, even in the combo version).

2) I really don't get why one would nowadays plays Sylvan Scrying over Once Upon A Time. The latest is so damn good: and even if you don't open it in your opening hand, looking for both creature or land in 5 cards usually gets the job done. Sometime, it won't, of course. But I feel like overall, Once upon a Time is just better than Scrying, at least for the "Turbo" list.

3) Congrats to you, DNSolver ;-)

EDIT: 4) In a Turbo list, I don't want any Decay maindeck, so they all went in the SB.
    DNSolver went onto the Leaving a Legacy podcast to talk about his list that won the LAL Open. He goes to great depths (pun intended) to describe how he came up with his list.

https://www.hipstersofthecoast.com/2...nner-dnsolver/

His thoughts were really great, and given that information he shared I am now playing less than a set of 4 Sylvan Scrying and instead playing a 2/2 maindeck split of Library/Scrying. Personally, I'm all in favor of Sylvan Library maindeck, it's so powerful. He also mentions exactly why he was on Not of this World vs Sylvan Safekeeper (which he had in the sideboard.) Overall, great interview and worth the hour it takes to listen to it.
    I am counted amongst legions of the unrighteous
    who dread not being immersed in pits of fire

Nov 2014
    Geneva

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    DNSolver went onto the Leaving a Legacy podcast to talk about his list that won the LAL Open. He goes to great depths (pun intended) to describe how he came up with his list.

https://www.hipstersofthecoast.com/2...nner-dnsolver/

His thoughts were really great, and given that information he shared I am now playing less than a set of 4 Sylvan Scrying and instead playing a 2/2 maindeck split of Library/Scrying. Personally, I'm all in favor of Sylvan Library maindeck, it's so powerful. He also mentions exactly why he was on Not of this World vs Sylvan Safekeeper (which he had in the sideboard.) Overall, great interview and worth the hour it takes to listen to it.
    I had given up the idea of receving an answer, so thank you a lot! ;-)

... on this note, it's a bit sad to think that everyone is on discord or reddit, considering the informations here are way better structured.

Thread Information