Page 130 of 166 FirstFirst ... 3080120126127128129130131132133134140 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,600 of 3301

Thread: [Deck] Turbo Depths

Apr 2018
    Prague

Re: [Deck] Turbo Depths

Quote Originally Posted by surface33 View Post
    Missing one ghost quarter. Which goes also in favor of mox diamond @solnox.
    Cool. That was my guess.

Thank you and gratz to your tournament successes!

So is Damping Sphere going in anyone’s sb? If so how many?

Quote Originally Posted by ccab View Post
    So is Damping Sphere going in anyone’s sb? If so how many?
    In my SB its replacing 2x Sphere of resistance, still keeping one Thorn though. To be more discard proof against CT.

I have been looking at this deck for a while now because I would like to have a combo deck in my arsenal. I read the primer and it was nice, but I need to know one thing. In my meta its very common to run 2-3 Surgical Extraction in the sidsboard in almost every deck (it is probably common in all metas at the moment). Is it game over if lets say and opponent wastelands dark depths and then surgical extracts it?

Oct 2017
    Tampere, Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
    I have been looking at this deck for a while now because I would like to have a combo deck in my arsenal. I read the primer and it was nice, but I need to know one thing. In my meta its very common to run 2-3 Surgical Extraction in the sidsboard in almost every deck (it is probably common in all metas at the moment). Is it game over if lets say and opponent wastelands dark depths and then surgical extracts it?
    No, because you can get there with ESG and Hexmage beats if your opponent has no board of their own. Miracles for example can get caught with their pants down if they slam down a Moon too enthusiastically without fetching a basic Plains first (needling Flooded Strand is legit in the matchup), after which you can just cast your Guides off a basic Forest. You can Bojuka Bog yourself with a Surgical on the stack, or board in Ground Seal as a safety net with a low opportunity cost that also hates on DRS and Loam.

Adding to the previous comments, I'd like to point out that this indeed can be a problem. One that can be played around though if you anticipate surgicals. In response to the surgical extraction you can for instance: Crop Rot into Bojuka Bog on your own Graveyard, Surgical your own DD and only take the one copy. Wait with playing DD until your lands have enough protection (e.g. needle on wasteland). Also, some people run SB cards against surgical, like Chalice (in the early versions of the deck), Ground Seal or Silent Gravestone. Not to mention your 7-8 discard spells.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Not sure if anyone is interested, but I am still trying to make a mid-range deck with Depths combo. It's more of a mid-range fair deck that happens to play Depths combo than straight up Depths combo with some mid-range sprinkled in. Below is the link to the thread, if anyone is interested. If not, I understand. I have some budget constraints, and I tend to be odd in how I approach things.

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...83#post1042683
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

If they surgical, highly likely you lose due to our creatures being shit. It's not game over but usually it is if they have any form of pressure
    Solnox on MTGO

Miracles is a good matchup for depths. Quote me on this

Griselbrand is not an interesting creature.

Dread it. Run from it. Marit Lage still arrives

Damping Sphere is a very good SB card against Elves, Enchantress, MUD all TRONs etc.
    Depending of the expected META... but I think, at less one-of, it worths

Is it game over if lets say and opponent wastelands dark depths and then surgical extracts it?
    SE can be an annoying card to play against, if you try to or have to combo several times in one game.

But imho your mentioned sequence of interaction should never happen without having a token created on your side. Or other additional cards involved. Nearly always play DD as last combo piece.

A cards sequence that really can hurt is: hymn -> hit DD -> SE

If I have an open crop, I would search for DD with SE on the stack ;D

Been playing a play set of ancient stirrings lately and definitely recommend trying some number of them in your lists. In my list it replaces Elvish Spirit Guide. Here's some of the reasons:

-Greater ability to keep 1-land hands.
    -Makes Mox Diamond more playable (more likely to have lands to ditch).
    -Additional tutor for Dark Depths and Thespian Stage (or at least digs giving greater percentage for a draw hit on the combo or land)
    -Artifact tutor for your needles & maps & petals & basics. (greater percentage of hitting sideboard artifacts like spheres)
    -Greater ability to keep hands in general where have part of combo and need tutor.
    -Easier to bounce back from wasteland or losing lands from thespian combo.
    -May be able to reduce number of some artifacts and lands in main and sideboard due to having "extra" chance of hitting them.
    -Lastly, this card is just fun to play!

I haven't played a ton of games with it yet, but really seems to work well and is cool chaining them with things like mox diamond and rad when it hits the combo piece.

Here's my current list for reference:

4x Ancient Stirrings
    4x Bayou
    4x Crop Rotation
    4x Dark Depths
    4x Expedition Map
    4x Inquisition of Kozilek
    4x Llanowar Wastes
    4x Mox Diamond
    4x Pithing Needle
    4x Sylvan Scrying
    4x Thespian's Stage
    4x Thoughtseize
    4x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4x Vampire Hexmage
    4x Verdant Catacombs

SB:
    4x Abrupt Decay
    2x Bojuka Bog
    3x Boompile
    1x Forest
    1x Karakas
    1x Life from the Loam
    2x Maze of Ith
    1x Swamp

Boompile?
    If you're wondering how I produce blue mana, I copy my opponent's Island with Thespian's Stage

My Youtube and Twitch usernames are DNSolver.

I am the Legacy metagame:

-2016 Eternal Weekend Europe won by BR Reanimator (I wrote the primer)
    -2016 Eternal Weekend North America won by Turbo Dark Depths (I write about and develop the winning version specifically)
    -Refiner of Hogaak Depths.

Quote Originally Posted by DNSolver View Post
    Boompile?
    It's one of the only cards I could find that would be decent against Blood Moon decks. I boarded in against Miracles and was good. I haven't used against show and tell, but I think it works there too. In my head I think good against death & taxes and any other permanent based deck, but haven't tested enough yet. The only other options I could think of would be ratchet bomb and nevy disk, but pile seems better.

edit: dood, it wins the enchantress matchup :)
    Last edited by PeterSouth; 04-30-2018 at 12:38 AM.

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

I don’t necessarily believe the above list is an improvement over the more stock lists, but Ancient Stirrings is at least interesting technology and it’s great seeing the attempt to innovate. However it seems absolutely crominal to run the card and have 0 copies of Not of this World (or at minimum a Sejiri Steppe) in the 75.

As for Boompile, a 50/50 shot to work isn’t worth over paying one more for Disk or just running Pernicious Deed. Given you have a full set of maps and diamonds, casting it should never be an issue.

Oct 2017
    Tampere, Finland

I don't see the value of not putting in 1 Bojuka Bog main, it just wins you games you have no business winning more than the ETBT loses.

Oct 2015
    Seoul, KR

I would never cut Bojuka Bog from the main, and I quite often wish I had a second in the board.

Quote Originally Posted by jolssoni View Post
    I don't see the value of not putting in 1 Bojuka Bog main, it just wins you games you have no business winning more than the ETBT loses.
    ETBT is not the main reason I don't like them although one of them. I mostly don't like it not tapping for green. I think the mana base is fragile in that respect - like I don't wanna be holding s-scryings and not being able to cast them consistently. I also like universal applications better and graveyard wipe not pertinent vs. things like RDW. Additionally, In theory I don't wanna be using my crop rots to wipe graveyards at instant speed, I would rather be using them to search for combo or protect against wastelands.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSouth View Post
    Here's my current list for reference:

4x Ancient Stirrings
    4x Bayou
    4x Crop Rotation
    4x Dark Depths
    4x Expedition Map
    4x Inquisition of Kozilek
    4x Llanowar Wastes
    4x Mox Diamond
    4x Pithing Needle
    4x Sylvan Scrying
    4x Thespian's Stage
    4x Thoughtseize
    4x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4x Vampire Hexmage
    4x Verdant Catacombs

SB:
    4x Abrupt Decay
    2x Bojuka Bog
    3x Boompile
    1x Forest
    1x Karakas
    1x Life from the Loam
    2x Maze of Ith
    1x Swamp
    I really have no clue why you run such a main deck of 4-offs only. Maybe you can explain? If it is a kind of style thing - I can understand.

Steppe, Bog and Ghost Quater are much too important imho. They help to combo, protect the token, disable blockers, disrupt the opponents game plan etc. Also the 1offs basics in the MD are.
    Why do you need 4x Bayou plus 4x Llanowar Wastes?

Nevertheless I also think that Ancient Stirrings could be good. Never managed to really test it.

Oct 2015
    Seoul, KR

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSouth View Post
    ETBT is not the main reason I don't like them although one of them. I mostly don't like it not tapping for green. I think the mana base is fragile in that respect - like I don't wanna be holding s-scryings and not being able to cast them consistently. I also like universal applications better and graveyard wipe not pertinent vs. things like RDW. Additionally, In theory I don't wanna be using my crop rots to wipe graveyards at instant speed, I would rather be using them to search for combo or protect against wastelands.
    Turn 1 Crop Rotation in hand with Bojuka Bog in main deck wins games against Reanimator and Dredge on the spot which are otherwise completely lost and also occasionally beats ANT or TES. You are of course right about the fragile manabase, that's why it runs ESGs. The deck mulls a lot when it can't generate green mana. Unfortunately, the utility of the CIPT lands are so high it's worth the risk. Sure, you mull hands with Steppe in them pretty regularly, but I couldn't cut the card because it wins so many games.

Quote Originally Posted by ashent View Post
    Turn 1 Crop Rotation in hand with Bojuka Bog in main deck wins games against Reanimator and Dredge on the spot which are otherwise completely lost and also occasionally beats ANT or TES. You are of course right about the fragile manabase, that's why it runs ESGs. The deck mulls a lot when it can't generate green mana. Unfortunately, the utility of the CIPT lands are so high it's worth the risk. Sure, you mull hands with Steppe in them pretty regularly, but I couldn't cut the card because it wins so many games.
    Ashent, I'm not an expert on the deck and have only recently been able to get consistent games in, but definitely have spent countless hours thinking about the deck and researching different options for it. I agree with Bog and actually have two copies in my SB right now. I used to have the standard one in MD, but trying different options to verify they are correct. I did a similar thing with Living Wish - was sure that was a better build until I tried it and it sucked bad - and now I pretty confident that is not the way to go. Everyone is a little different -> one of my personal frustrations are forced mulligans where it seems you are more comfortable or have a higher tolerance for it.

I'm still similarly on the fence about Steppe -> the hivemind says it's 100% maindeck and I still find it questionable -> much more so than Bog. Yes, I have had some games where I said, "F me, I don't have steppe in my deck...ok, maybe time to try it again", but then I go through the thought process. Is this card good in my opening hand? - not really. Does it produce mana i need? - nope, and it ETBT to boot. Does this help me create a Lage? - nope. Is this card good before I have a made Lage on board? - nope. Ok, this is starting to sound like a win-more card. Then I think about more restrictions. The threat must be targeting Lage and colored and I probably need a crop rotation in hand and green mana which I don't have much in my deck to utilize it, and then after I use it I lost a land. I think the steppe combo is generally insurance against swords to plowshares, but those decks are kinda slow, so my thinking right now is ok, on the off chance that they have a swords to plowshares that I haven't made them discard, my deck is so redundant that I can make another one right away with the crop I would have had in that spot anyway. I haven't adopted sylvan safekeeper for the same reasons.

I just started using mox diamond and I think they take away some of the danger of having useless utility lands in hand, so at some point I'll probably give steppe and Bog another shot MD. If that's where they're supposed to be that's fine with me, I just gotta confirm it for sure.

Thread Information