Page 148 of 166 FirstFirst ... 4898138144145146147148149150151152158 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,960 of 3301

Thread: [Deck] Turbo Depths

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Re: [DTB] Turbo Depths

I played in a 5 round + top8 tournament about two weeks ago, and faced Dredge twice (same player in round 4 and QF, but there was another Dredge player....and two Reanimator.dec).
    His dredges were mediocre, but Bog really shines (I always wanted a second, though xD) and helped me beat it in both matches.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    I played in a 5 round + top8 tournament about two weeks ago, and faced Dredge twice (same player in round 4 and QF, but there was another Dredge player....and two Reanimator.dec).
    His dredges were mediocre, but Bog really shines (I always wanted a second, though xD) and helped me beat it in both matches.
    I feel like racing is also an option. Dredge is fast, and broken AF, but it still has to race a t2-3 Marit Lage. One life may as well be a million if they don't have a Narc to block with. I think Depths is favored slightly g1, and post-board even more so. More dredge in the format (which hammers D&T, Grixis, and Miracles) means Depths gets a little better aligned. I honestly hope Dredge keeps this up.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Dec 2015
    Bensalem, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Anyone else seeing an uptick of Dredge, maybe on MagicOnline?
    It won three of the four mtgo legacy Challenges this month and split with Miracles in the finals of the 4th(a mu where they are favored). It's finally starting to see heavier play in leagues too.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Dredge seems to be sneaking into the format again; I did a bunch of test games with a friend at the LGS. The matchup seems very good for Depths, honestly. They can get the nuts and win t2, but more often they are t3-4. It really just reinforces the need for maindeck Bog. I think much of the format will struggle with Surgical Extraction as their only outs, but not Depths. I feel very comfortable in the matchup, and I hope it drives change into the format to make it a little more soft to Depths.

Anyone else seeing an uptick of Dredge, maybe on MagicOnline?
    I haven't played in a while but logically it makes sense with DRS no longer in the format.

Yes we are favored both games. instant speed bojuka is really bad for them. So are surgicals. Hexmage isnt good for them either cause it can remove their bridges and block most of their deck. Oh and tabernacles against manaless dredge.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    I haven't played in a while but logically it makes sense with DRS no longer in the format.
    The popularity of Miracles and Grixis Control has pushed Dredge into a great position, as well as the continued dominance of Surgical Extraction over more effective, but slower grave hate.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Negator77' View Post
    It won three of the four mtgo legacy Challenges this month and split with Miracles in the finals of the 4th(a mu where they are favored). It's finally starting to see heavier play in leagues too.
    Cool, thanks for the info. I was noticing it at the local, didn't know if it was global.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Is there any debate of
    extirpate
    vs
    surgical extraction in side ?

surgical is better versus br reanimator while extirpate is better against miracle and lands (they can't dredge in resp loam).

I have found that i often enter extirpate/surgical vs Br rea/dredge/lands/miracle/maverick and sometimes one or two to fight opponents surgical against tempoish decks.
    what about splitting 3 surgicals to 1 surgical and 2 extirpate ?

Or one cc versus 0 and 2 life is way better ? Is extirpate really way worse ?

After trying decay maindeck I have reput them back in side and just concede G1 on b2b against miracle if it resolves. I prefer for now having something more consistant.
    I also added the 4th llanowar waste main instead of a khalni garden to increase conistency. 12 black sources + 4 map is better. I am now on mindbreak trap in side it is the best hate against storm if you don't play blue.

I think there is no reason to play bog/karakas maindeck but it certainly depends of your meta they increase issues of mana base. I don't even have karakas in side. Maze of ith is a card i want to see in at least half the matchups so it does deserve a maindeck space

// 60 Maindeck
    // 8 Artifact
    4 Expedition Map
    4 Pithing Needle

// 4 Creature
    4 Vampire Hexmage

// 4 Enchantment
    4 Sylvan Library

// 4 Instant
    4 Crop Rotation

// 26 Land
    4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Thespian's Stage
    4 Dark Depths
    4 Blooming Marsh
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Sejiri Steppe
    3 Khalni Garden
    4 Llanowar Wastes
    1 Maze of Ith

// 14 Sorcery
    4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Inquisition of Kozilek
    4 Sylvan Scrying
    3 Duress

// 15 Sideboard
    // 3 Creature
    SB: 3 Sylvan Safekeeper

// 9 Instant
    SB: 3 Abrupt Decay
    SB: 3 Mindbreak Trap
    SB: 3 Extirpate/ surgical ?

// 1 Land
    SB: 1 Bojuka Bog

// 2 Sorcery
    SB: 2 Toxic Deluge

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I feel that we need a free way to interact with br reanimator and dredge, so i am sticking with surgical. Our 1-mana grave hate is crop rotation>>>bog. I'm even debating a Ravenous Trap because of the uptick of dredge in my local.

I think Liliana, the last hope, sylvan library, and dark confidant are all better than extirpate against miracles. Surgical is still superior in the lands matchup, and if lands becomes prevalent than some number of asstrophy comes in.
    Brainstorm Realist

If you are really worried by dredge just add a second bog in side.
    extirpate is better than surgical in the land matchup they can't dredge in resp.

Considering the online meta I'm meeting these days, I decided to go full nuclear and add 4 Leylines to the sideboard. It does weaken some other matchups (some other cards had to go), but I feel it's a reasonable choice: I meet Reanimator systematically, dredge regularly, and then there are a few matchups that don't actually requiring any sideboarding, such as Burn (which has been pretty much an auto-win, even playing Slow Depths rather than Turbo). Added to this I considered this a deck that's actually capable of hard-casting a Leyline turn 3 if worst comes to worst.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by adrieng View Post
    If you are really worried by dredge just add a second bog in side.
    extirpate is better than surgical in the land matchup they can't dredge in resp.
    Doh! Missed that. Loam isn't the only juicy target, but I get it. I'm not really worried about Dredge, at least not the quad-laser zombies lists that are prevalent. The Dread Returns out of the sideboard are a little scary, but that is a situation where Surgical/Extirpate shine even better than g1. I tested about 12 games (pre and post board) against a recent winning list and lost 2 of them. Preboard slightly favored, post-board more favored.

Looks like 2 Depths lists made t8 in the most recent Eternal Weekend, one labeled as 'Slow Depths.' I'm guessing this means Wasteland + Mox Diamond over Lotus Petal/ESG, but I'm not sure. I can't find the winning lists on mtgtop8 or tcdecks yet.
    Brainstorm Realist

They were both Long Depths. Basically what Solnox has been playing.

It is what I played as well. But I just got varianced to shit this weekend.

R1: Burn - easy 2-0

R2: Elves - Game one I went off turn 2 and he had a bad hand game 2. 2-0

R3: TES - He combo’d turn 3 when I was presenting lage. Game 2 he combos turn 2. 0-2

R4: LED Dredge - he had a slow start and I managed to naturally bog him. Still able to play through and go off before I could merit. Game 2 he made 25 power on turn 1 and ripped my hand apart (on 6) with cabal. Nice guy. 0-2

R5: Miracles - had all the answers at the right times. 0-2

R6: Lands - 2-1. Game 3 was the only interesting one where I surgicalled his depths and he surgicalled my stages. I got there with bitterblossom.

R7: Red Prison - 2-1. Top decked combo in game 1 when I was dead on board. Game 2 turn 1 moon. Game 3 bob did work. Got 2 of them and beat down to 4. He wipes the board and my diamonds, but I manage to find combo before he can kill me. He made a small misplay but could have beaten me otherwise.

R8: Eldrazi stompy - 1-2. Game 3 was a race. He got there one turn before me with 2 smashers. I had combo to kill next turn.

I dropped here to play side events.

Overall I had a fun weekend with my buddy, but Card Titan did a horrible job running the event. I don’t plan to go next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexPants View Post
    Overall I had a fun weekend with my buddy, but Card Titan did a horrible job running the event. I don’t plan to go next year.
    Damn, what happened? I haven't gone in a couple years, but they seemed pretty well run when they were still in Philly.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Damn, what happened? I haven't gone in a couple years, but they seemed pretty well run when they were still in Philly.

Random 30 minute pause because the pairings system broke. No cloth tops on the tables, all bare wood. I always do VIP with my buddy, but they lost the VIP lanyards, put the area outside the bag check area so you constantly had to get checked. They mischarged us for side events. Multiple scheduled events didn't fire because not enough people, but they wouldn't make an announcement to see if more people would play. When my event didn't fire, they didn't refund the right amount to my card. Just generally got the sense they didn't care and wanted to leave ASAP. Commentary was also pretty subpar. Half the time you couldn't see what cards were being played because of glare.

Also, they still haven't posted a top 8 page for legacy like they did for Vintage. Haven't even posted the winners. Feels very amateurish, I wasn't very impressed and going to events is expensive and I don't have all the time in the world. So I will be going to a GP or something else in the future.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Random 30 minute pause because the pairings system broke. No cloth tops on the tables, all bare wood. I always do VIP with my buddy, but they lost the VIP lanyards, put the area outside the bag check area so you constantly had to get checked. They mischarged us for side events. Multiple scheduled events didn't fire because not enough people, but they wouldn't make an announcement to see if more people would play. When my event didn't fire, they didn't refund the right amount to my card. Just generally got the sense they didn't care and wanted to leave ASAP.

Also, they still haven't posted a top 8 page for legacy like they did for Vintage. Haven't even posted the winners. Feels very amateurish.
    Ah, that's unfortunate. It always seemed like they put in a good effort before, but all those things (minus the computer system braking) were likely very preventable with some diligence. Who knows, maybe they just couldn't get the same staff as they had in previous years.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

They had issues last year too. Like the VIP playmats didn’t get shipped to the event at all.

As you said, with a touch of effort it could have been taken care of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, they still haven't posted a top 8 page for legacy like they did for Vintage. Haven't even posted the winners. Feels very amateurish, I wasn't very impressed and going to events is expensive and I don't have all the time in the world. So I will be going to a GP or something else in the future.
    Ah, I was wondering if I was incompetent when I could not find those top 8 lists.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfy View Post
    Ah, I was wondering if I was incompetent when I could not find those top 8 lists.
    There is incompetence...but it isn't coming from you.

Dec 2015
    Bensalem, PA

Streamed a league with BUG Depths again today.. This time with Ark4n for anyone that is interested.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/332459343

Quote Originally Posted by Negator77' View Post
    Streamed a league with BUG Depths again today.. This time with Ark4n for anyone that is interested.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/332459343
    Thanks for that! I had a go at the deck yesterday (just solitaire-goldfishing and one - winning - match in a league), and the deck feels quite different from my usual BG Slow Depth. I already watched the 5-0 when you were a guest on Thraben (great run and you guys were tons of fun to watch), and more material is welcome.

Thread Information