Page 5 of 166 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Turbo Depths

Re: [Deck] Dark Depths

Quote Originally Posted by TLK View Post
    Oh wow, even less than I expected. Depths is like $30, so that's $120 right there. I'm guessing everything else is incredibly cheap.
    The only other expensive card I missed was toxic deluge. It's sitting at 34 so you could also save a significant amount by trying something else like e-plague or golgari charm that isn't quite as nice as deluge. I definitely recommend city of brass over mana confluence on MTGO right now given that it's a third of the price and if any of your games are being decided by city getting tapped down with port while playing this deck you probably should have already conceded by that point.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Mana Confluence is also better with Urborg than City, but in the Legacy event I won a few weeks ago, I used CoB and it never negatively affected me. I'll definitely pass on Deluge for now.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by supremePINEAPPLE View Post
    The only other expensive card I missed was toxic deluge. It's sitting at 34 so you could also save a significant amount by trying something else like e-plague or golgari charm that isn't quite as nice as deluge. I definitely recommend city of brass over mana confluence on MTGO right now given that it's a third of the price and if any of your games are being decided by city getting tapped down with port while playing this deck you probably should have already conceded by that point.
    pyroclasm is a really amazing substitute. if deluge didn't kill griselbrands and emrakuls id prob just run 4 clasm.

ya COB can suck at times however, games usually don't last that long for it to matter.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Yeah, Pyroclasm has been great. I didn't have Deluge in the tournament I won, either, and just added another Duress (since I only run 2 main) and a Grafdigger's Cage since my meta has a bit of Dredge and Elves.

It is way more than 165$ at MODO. 4x DD = 100 Tix, 4x Mana Confluence = 60 Tix so it is almost the amount. But it is cheap anyway! :)

Edit:

In the horde of UR Delver deck I like mana confluence more but you are right. CoB is almost as good as MC but 1/3 of price. Then probably 160 is affordable! :)

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

I built it online last night. Ended up costing about $250. Maybe I was just doing it wrong. I realize the promo versions of cards are much cheaper, but I couldn't find those for sale so ended up paying a bit more. Still, relatively cheap for a one-time investment.

Played against Miracles for the first time. Very annoying to play against online. I ran out of time after I was up 1-0 and ahead in game 2. He seemingly always had a Swords to Plowshares, so I was at like 80 life in game 2, beginning to draw 3 cards for 8 life off Sylvan to find my last Depths. Had a Needle on Top and another on Jace, and had already Ghost Quartered his Karakas. I'm not used to playing online so maybe I just need to be faster. Obviously I would've won the match in paper magic if time expires being up 1-0, but it's definitely something for which I'll have to make adjustments.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

I built it online last night. Ended up costing about $250. Maybe I was just doing it wrong. I realize the promo versions of cards are much cheaper, but I couldn't find those for sale so ended up paying a bit more. Still, relatively cheap for a one-time investment.

Played against Miracles for the first time. Very annoying to play against online. I ran out of time after I was up 1-0 and ahead in game 2. He seemingly always had a Swords to Plowshares, so I was at like 80 life in game 2, beginning to draw 3 cards for 8 life off Sylvan to find my last Depths. Had a Needle on Top and another on Jace, and had already Ghost Quartered his Karakas. I'm not used to playing online so maybe I just need to be faster. Obviously I would've won the match in paper magic if time expires being up 1-0, but it's definitely something for which I'll have to make adjustments.
    do you like playing online? i've been reluctant to invest just because i don't know if i'll truly like it as much.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

There were lots of $4-6 cards in the list so I'm not too surprised it was a little more expensive than the $165 someone quoted.

Are you pretty new to MTGO? Getting your stops set up perfectly for your deck helps a ton when trying to cut down on unnecessary time. Auto-yielding to things like spinning top can also put more pressure on the miracles player to play quickly since top activations aren't draining your clock anymore. A lot of it just comes with practice though, I used to time out all the time but have gotten to the point where I can play quick enough that I almost always have more time than the opponent. F3, F6, and F7 are my best friends online.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    do you like playing online? i've been reluctant to invest just because i don't know if i'll truly like it as much.
    I do and I don't. I definitely prefer paper Magic, but it's an acceptable alternative.

Pros:

1. Convenient - I can play within comforts of my own home
    2. Less human error - It remembers triggers for you
    3. More Magic - I don't have to wait for my weekly Legacy event, or for my buddies to be available if I want to get some games/practice in. That's a big plus.

Cons:

1. I prefer human contact - I like being able to see the board state in person and oppenent's mannerisms help me get a read of their hand/situation
    2. Cost - It's hard for me to justify paying for "non-real" cards that I already own in paper
    3. Prizes - Tickets/packs of fake cards to help you buy more fake cards :/
    4. Bugs - it's definitely not a flawless experience
    5. Learning curve - I'm definitely not an expert when it comes to gameplay, so until I play online more frequently this poses an issue (as is the case with most computer/video games)

That's the jist of it, in my opinion. I think the tipping point was pro #3. Made it worth it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by supremePINEAPPLE View Post
    There were lots of $4-6 cards in the list so I'm not too surprised it was a little more expensive than the $165 someone quoted.

Are you pretty new to MTGO? Getting your stops set up perfectly for your deck helps a ton when trying to cut down on unnecessary time. Auto-yielding to things like spinning top can also put more pressure on the miracles player to play quickly since top activations aren't draining your clock anymore. A lot of it just comes with practice though, I used to time out all the time but have gotten to the point where I can play quick enough that I almost always have more time than the opponent. F3, F6, and F7 are my best friends online.
    Yes, I'm fairly new to it. I've had MTGO for a while, but have only used it sporadically, as I prefer paper Magic. I just downloaded the newest client, so I haven't had a chance (nor do I know how) to set anything up as far as yields are concerned. That definitely would've helped against Miracles. I felt like I was pushing OK every few seconds, which ate my time.

Yes, I'm fairly new to it. I've had MTGO for a while, but have only used it sporadically, as I prefer paper Magic. I just downloaded the newest client, so I haven't had a chance (nor do I know how) to set anything up as far as yields are concerned. That definitely would've helped against Miracles. I felt like I was pushing OK every few seconds, which ate my time.
    If there is a repeating trigger (like SDT activations) you can right-click on the trigger while it's on the stack and set it to automatically yield. It will then automatically ok that trigger every time that permanent triggers it again. You can push F3 at any time to remove the yields and give yourself full control over any triggers you yielded previously.

You can set your stops with the little bar that keeps track of the turn phases, you just right click the phase you want to set stops on and select whether or not you want a stop to occur on your turn or your opponent's. With Lands for example I always have a stop set on my opponents upkeep for rishadan port yet rarely have that set when playing other decks since I don't often have anything I want to do there and I'll set it manually if I do.

Figuring those out helped me a ton with avoiding unnecessary clicks that chip away at your time.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

That's awesome advice. I really appreciate it. I'll have to play around with that when I get home. I have a feeling it'll take some getting used to, but as you previously stated, practice will help immensely.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

So I've been pretty much cruising to victory online against a majority of my opponents. Just doing Tournament Practice as of now to get used to gameplay and the new client. I'll probably try to jam some tournaments today/this weekend and report back with my findings.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

So I've been pretty much cruising to victory online against a majority of my opponents. Just doing Tournament Practice as of now to get used to gameplay and the new client. I'll probably try to jam some tournaments today/this weekend and report back with my findings.
    ha, i better buy my copies before you make the price jump
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Haha :)

Played against Sneak and Show. Went how I expected - a race to the combo. Red blasts and discard were good here, but it was about 50/50 in testing. Burn was also as big an issue as it was in the last paper tournament I played in. Hard to race them, and Price of Progress of course hurts.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Haha :)

Played against Sneak and Show. Went how I expected - a race to the combo. Red blasts and discard were good here, but it was about 50/50 in testing. Burn was also as big an issue as it was in the last paper tournament I played in. Hard to race them, and Price of Progress of course hurts.
    idk if you've checked out the other list I drafted here, but it has some advantages that this traditional list doesn't. the list in the op is what I'm playing currently but still could use some optimization I'm sure. It eliminates some of the problems the dark depths deck experiences. The use of chalice helps significantly against combo / burn. The combo matchups are better because it can use NO or GSZ to tutor into a defense like teeg or ruric, and it runs trinisphere in the sideboard. These additions also help against high tide and omni which have been bad for dark depths in general.

look it over lmk what you think. Ive found that although it runs fewer tutors than turbo depths, it doesn't really sacrifice consistency because it has access to KOTR as early as T2. In the past I have not liked KOTR because it typically gets stp'd. with the inclusion of Chalice main, STP becomes less of a problem for both kotr and Marit lage. Additionally, because KOTR costs 0 mana to use, it's nice to be able to protect the token on turn 4 without having to play additional lands. Example. t4 you have 4 lands and to protect your combo with a crop rotation into sejiri steppe you have to have a 5th land to tap for mana. With KOTR you can make your token on t4 and still use KOTR to search up sejiri steppe.

the only reason I'm even considering this list is because it still has the same feel of an all in dark depths list, cheat a huge fatty into play and smash face. for the last 5 years thats been my motive originating from sneak attack.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

I took a glance when you first posted it. Looked good. Let me take another look and comment. You only had a few ways for turn 1 Chalice, right? No Sol Lands?

Also, just got 2-0'd by 12-Post. Seems rough. 4 maindeck Repeal? Ugh. Good thing it isn't played much!

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

I took a glance when you first posted it. Looked good. Let me take another look and comment. You only had a few ways for turn 1 Chalice, right? No Sol Lands?

Also, just got 2-0'd by 12-Post. Seems rough. 4 maindeck Repeal? Ugh. Good thing it isn't played much!
    it does have 4x sol lands, which it can crop rotate into if need be. also can go the natural order route against something like 12post and stick a progenitus, improving that matchup as well.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

Tested our beloved deck yesterday a bit against my Junk Blade deck (Japanese version) with Spirit of the Labyrinth, 2x Karakas MD + classic Junk Shell + Needles and Extractions SB, etc etc. Tough to beat. Really. Also with all these white decks on the rise I moved Not of this World back to the SB in one or two copies. Not sure what to cut yet. Maybe Thoughtseize? It performed very well yesterday.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    it does have 4x sol lands, which it can crop rotate into if need be. also can go the natural order route against something like 12post and stick a progenitus, improving that matchup as well.
    Oh, I see that now. Must've looked past them. I might sleeve up your deck in paper and try it out, if only because Knight is one of my favorite creatures ever. Online, I'm winning about 80-90% of my matchups. I've been playing against top tier decks for the most part. Biggest hurdles have been Burn (about 50%) and 12-Post. Sneak & Show was about 50/50 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lio View Post
    Tested our beloved deck yesterday a bit against my Junk Blade deck (Japanese version) with Spirit of the Labyrinth, 2x Karakas MD + classic Junk Shell + Needles and Extractions SB, etc etc. Tough to beat. Really. Also with all these white decks on the rise I moved Not of this World back to the SB in one or two copies. Not sure what to cut yet. Maybe Thoughtseize? It performed very well yesterday.
    I've also thought about adding Not of This World to my board in place of the discard.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Oh, I see that now. Must've looked past them. I might sleeve up your deck in paper and try it out, if only because Knight is one of my favorite creatures ever. Online, I'm winning about 80-90% of my matchups. I've been playing against top tier decks for the most part. Biggest hurdles have been Burn (about 50%) and 12-Post. Sneak & Show was about 50/50 as well.

I've also thought about adding Not of This World to my board in place of the discard.
    not sure if i made it clear in the OP but Not of this world is amazing in the matchups that it actually matters. adrien found that it was not versatile enough to justify a main board slot or even a SB slot. I feel like it could in SB just because it helps fight things like karakas AND STP. although with something limited in application you could just run steely resolve... it looks so stupid but its practically the same thing
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

Thread Information