Page 7 of 166 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Turbo Depths

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Re: [Deck] Dark Depths

Quote Originally Posted by Corto View Post
    You mentioned apostle blessing, steely resolve and such.
    Did you ever think about sylvan safekeeper ?
    It's quite on the all-in side, with the potential blow out of losing one land, but isn't it quite good to protect Marit Lage ?
    I mentioned them but didn't mean suggest they were good options. They are too focused and have little application outside of the few matches they help. They are probably worse than not of this world
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Not sure I'm ready to cut Taberbacle just yet. In testing it has won me a few games against aggressive decks. It is great against UR Delver. Slows down Elves if they don't have a Cradle/Priest in play. It stole me a game against Burn, as they had to choose between paying the upkeep for Guides/Eidolons/Swifts or keeping their mana available for Bolts. Buys you a bit of time to assemble your combo in these instances.

//Artifact (7)
    3 Expedition Map
    4 Pithing Needle

//Creature (4)
    4 Vampire Hexmage

//Enchantment (4)
    4 Sylvan Library

//Instant (6)
    4 Crop Rotation
    2 Red Elemental Blast

//Sorcery (13)
    4 Duress
    4 Inquisition of Kozilek
    4 Sylvan Scrying
    1 Toxic Deluge

//Land (26)
    4 City of Brass
    4 Dark Depths
    4 Gemstone Mine
    1 Ghost Quarter
    2 Karplusan Forest
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Sejiri Steppe
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    4 Thespian's Stage
    4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

SB: 1 Bojuka Bog
    SB: 1 Karakas
    SB: 2 Krosan Grip
    SB: 1 Negate
    SB: 3 Not of This World
    SB: 3 Pyroclasm
    SB: 3 Ratchet Bomb
    SB: 1 Slaughter Games

1 Toxic Deluge in the maindeck has been really good. Slaughter Games is super good against Miracles and Storm, if you can get if off before they Tendrils you.

I think Tabernacle is defintely worth keeping, if not the main then the side. It's a huge blowout against Elves, and Young Pyromancer, and against Belcher/TES on the Empty the Warrens plan.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

I like the main deck. I've been thinking of 8 discard spells main as well, since I seem to side in additional discard frequently. I've been meaning to cut my second Maze of Ith, so that frees up a slot.

How have the Negate and Not Of This World been for you in the side?

I agree that you don't need two Maze of Iths. The matchups where you want (primarily against Batterskull or Griselbrand don't have Wasteland often anyways.

8 discard spells in the main has been phenomenal. I actually find myself liking Duress the most, because we don't care about creatures so much.

Negatehas been great- in won me a game against storm. I may want to fit in another in place of a Pyroclasm. I may replace them with
    Spell Pierces, but I'm not sure yet.

Not of this World is crazy good against Karakas, Maze of Ith, Path to Exile... I don't really want Marit Lage to get Swords-ed, but it's not the worst thing in the world with a Sylvan Library out.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

I'm definitely going to up my maindeck discard suite to 8, and cut a Maze. What is the purpose of the maindeck Deluge? Are we really worried about creatures? I'm going to try 3 sideboard NotW. I'm definitely tired of grinding out games against Miracles/DnT with all the Karakas/Swords/Flickerwisp/etc. I like Slaughter Gamesad well, as long as we can live long enough against combo. Perhaps the stupid question, but what do you name in those matchups?

Against ANT, do you name Tendrils? That's their only win condition game 1, correct? We have Tabernsacle for the Warrens plan.

Against Miracles, I'm assuming Entreat? Terminus is annoying as well, but they typically only win with Entreat (we have Needle/REB for Jace).

Thoughts?

What I like naming with Slaughter Games (In the matchups where I side it in:)
    Miracles: Entreat/Jace
    ANT: Tendrils
    TES: Tendrils (EtW if you don't run Tabernacle)
    Elves: Either NO or Behemoth
    Sneak & Show: This is hard- it depends on how many lands they have. If they're tight on mana, I name Show and Tell. Otherwise, either Sneak Attack or Griselbrand (not Emrakul because we don't want them to go above 20 life.)
    Reanimator: Griselbrand or Reanimate (Don't always bring it in here)
    Dredge: Bridge from Below, maybe Ichorid
    Painter: Painter
    Cloudpost: Primeviel Titan

Toxic Deluge is just such a blowout against Pyromancer, D&T, Goblin, Merfolk, Maverick... idk, maybe it's cause there are a lot of creature decks in my meta, but it's won me G1s before.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Thanks! That helps a lot. I played a few matches last night. I always seem to lose to Storm one turn before I can attack with my token. Like literally every time.

Also, that Ascendency deck is a beating. Lost 0-2 to it. Slaughter Games for Ascendency and Needle on Fatestitcher are obviously good here (never drew eithee against him).

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by TLK View Post
    Thanks! That helps a lot. I played a few matches last night. I always seem to lose to Storm one turn before I can attack with my token. Like literally every time.

Also, that Ascendency deck is a beating. Lost 0-2 to it. Slaughter Games for Ascendency and Needle on Fatestitcher are obviously good here (never drew eithee against him).
    you have pyroblast and bojuka so I'm finding it hard to believe its bad.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

That's what I thought too. I admit my sample size is small and I didn't seem to draw my hate cards.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

So i was brainstorming, when i was suppose to be studying, but I realized that possible incorporation of a counterbalance into he deck may solve some of the issues the deck faces. most of the spells that we would want to counter are 1-2 cmc such as most combo decks, and miscellaneous decks with STP. Has anyone tried this possibly in place of discard / pyroblasts. I guess you could replace someone thing else, but these are the variable slots. SDT also has other benefits outside of the counterbalance plan too.

Our mana base being rainbow should allow it.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

You know, that's crazy that you mentioned that, because I was thinking about that possibility yesterday, then kept my mouth shut because I figured I was just talking nonsense. Maybe I'm not...or maybe we both are haha.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

I'd probably replace Libraries if we ran SDT. That would be a straight swap. The 4 Counterbalance could replace Blasts and a discard spell or something.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

I'd probably replace Libraries if we ran SDT. That would be a straight swap. The 4 Counterbalance could replace Blasts and a discard spell or something.
    i think ideally, you end up

-4 library
    -3 blasts
    -1 duress
    -4 Copperline Gorge

+4 SDT
    +4 counterbalance
    +4 Yavimaya Coast/+2 Gemstone/2 City of brass?
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Yeah, that's probably about right. Without Libraries, we could run Chains in the board if wanted to further combat combo/Miracles/Cruise decks.

With Counterbalance/Top, we might want to run fetches to reset Top, allowing us to play duals instead of the rainbow lands. Just a thought.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Yeah, that's probably about right. Without Libraries, we could run Chains in the board if wanted to further combat combo/Miracles/Cruise decks.

With Counterbalance/Top, we might want to run fetches to reset Top, allowing us to play duals instead of the rainbow lands. Just a thought.
    then u open yourself up to submerge, and an easier match turns much harder.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

While this is true, I have yet to run into a single deck packing Submerge in all my testing. They very well could be running it, but I don't think it's as common at the moment.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

While this is true, I have yet to run into a single deck packing Submerge in all my testing. They very well could be running it, but I don't think it's as common at the moment.
    its played quite a bit <--- see there and note the dates and deck types. What you probably don't notice is when your opponent is holding 3x submerge in hand but you don't have a forest.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Yeah, that was my point. I'm probably just unaware. I'll probably sleeve up the proposed list and run it tomorrow if I can find Counterbalances.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Yeah, that was my point. I'm probably just unaware. I'll probably sleeve up the proposed list and run it tomorrow if I can find Counterbalances.
    i just ran a few matches with it. Its really not what were looking for. The issue is that counterbalance by itself is almost worthless. Paired with SDT its good but we have no way of really searching for it. If we switch the focus to setting that up it will still be at best T3, which is not good enough against ant or most decks for that matter. any threats that that stick before its set up are still problems. It's clunky, and hard to cast, has little impact for its inclusion. I almost feel like we're better off running different 2 card combo because essentially thats what CB TOP is.

liliana is too slow. Hymn is good card advantage but sometimes too random. we can try something like canonist / meddling mage but not really that many slots
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

Thread Information