Page 89 of 166 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399139 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,780 of 3301

Thread: [Deck] Turbo Depths

Re: [Deck] Dark Depths

Damping Matrix shuts off Hexmage

Anyone here been trying a GB build with Git probe? I've been goldfishing the deck and it seems fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jdmdave View Post
    Anyone here been trying a GB build with Git probe? I've been goldfishing the deck and it seems fine.
    What do you take out for it? The NoTW/Rite/Sylvan Library slots?

Another 5-0 this morning.

2-0 Sneak and Show (discard Blood Moon, Needle Sneak Attack, play Karakas)
    2-0 BUG Delver
    2-1 Grixis Delver
    2-0 UR Delver (Minnifer)
    1-0 Opponent conceded and said he didn't want to play against combo. Welcome to Legacy, where Modern-speed combos are better than some decks.

You guys who are replacing Not of This World - what decks are you worried about? The maindeck has been serving me well for...well, ever. I haven't changed a card since I put in Expedition Map about 9-10 months ago. I could see cutting a maximum of 1, and only for a Dryad Arbor or Factory. You don't need or want Library against Delver and you're fine G1 against most combo decks.

My current sideboard:
    4 Decay
    1 Needle
    1 Karakas
    4 Sphere of Resistance
    3 Sylvan Library
    2 Surgical (realized that last time I 5-0'd I had a 13-card sideboard because I had lent these out...)
    If you're wondering how I produce blue mana, I copy my opponent's Island with Thespian's Stage

My Youtube and Twitch usernames are DNSolver.

I am the Legacy metagame:

-2016 Eternal Weekend Europe won by BR Reanimator (I wrote the primer)
    -2016 Eternal Weekend North America won by Turbo Dark Depths (I write about and develop the winning version specifically)
    -Refiner of Hogaak Depths.

DNS do you play 3 or 4 Urborg lately?

3 Urborgs. I like green mana to cast all of my tutors.
    If you're wondering how I produce blue mana, I copy my opponent's Island with Thespian's Stage

-2016 Eternal Weekend North America won by Turbo Dark Depths (I write about and develop the winning version specifically)

Idk, I guess I'm afraid that the NOTW are dead in too many matchups g1?

* Storm - Dead
    * Delver - Dead
    * Eldrazi - Dead

etc...

As for Sylvan, I find it way too slow in the current meta, but it's probably an acceptable sideboard card.

List

* 12 Combo Lands (I view the 4th Urborg as absolutely integral for the typical "oops, 1+1+hexmage = GG" hands
    * 3 Utility Lands (Factory in Side, Steppe/Bog/GQ Main)
    * 2 Snows
    * 2 Bayou
    * 2 Verdant
    * 2 Blooming
    * 4 Gitaxian Probe - Trying this out. I actually like how it lets us form a plan ala Infect. I've also tested 1x Needle, 1x Into, 2x IOK in this slot.
    * 2 Into
    * 4 Sylvan Scrying
    * 4 Crop Rotation
    * 4 Hexmage
    * 4 Petal
    * 4 ESG
    * 4 Tseize
    * 4 Duress
    * 3 Needle

Sideboard

* 1 Needle
    * 4 Sphere
    * 1 Karakas
    * 3 Decay
    * 3 Surgical
    * 2 NoTW
    * 1 Factory (Like it over Ith or non-tutorable silver bullets like charm/deluge/library/crucible)

Nov 2010
    Japan

Put simply, my metagame has almost no white in it, but I am not cleaning up house because of the games I drop to stumbling against decks that are fast enough to actually punish you for that. We're not terrible against combo decks, but you're definitely a bit worse off if you play literal do-nothings in your deck.

I feel like it's a bad idea to be playing dedicated anti-hate in the maindeck since we already play maindeck answers to the spells and abilities Not of this World counters and we usually can afford to take the time to find answers in those matchups.

To me, it's as simple as choosing between having a completely dead card against Show and Tell, or having a weak-to-dead card against Stoneblade.

Oct 2015
    Virginia

I had an eldrazi player dismember my token to make it non lethal, but they went so low and only had tombs I just had to swing again.
    Now Playing:
    Dark depths
    Reanimator
    MUD
    Disclaimer: The above person does not claim to have knowledge pertaining to the following subject: anything. Thus, said person may not be held liable for any mishaps/explosions that his advice incurs.

I cut down to 1 NOTW main and 1 sideboard for now. Playing 4 Needles instead of 3 with the extra slot(my mindset being that Needle still gets Karakas and other things). I've used NOTW vs Repeal in 12 post, Venser in UWx, Echoing Truth in Storm, so it is a little more than just Swords and Karakas.

Congrats on the 5-0 DNsolver

2 Questions

* NOTW in the maindeck - You sure on this?
    * Sylvan in the sideboard - What does this come in vs? Confidant a consideration? The Old Emrakul 2.0 + ugin plan?

MTGO name: Aggro4Life

Aug 2016
    Arizona, USA

Quote Originally Posted by jdmdave View Post
    Congrats on the 5-0 DNsolver

2 Questions

* NOTW in the maindeck - You sure on this?
    * Sylvan in the sideboard - What does this come in vs? Confidant a consideration? The Old Emrakul 2.0 + ugin plan?
    In addition to this, no Edict protection? Have you not encountered Diabolic Edict much?

I have been able to discard Edict or play around topdecked Edict outs by casting Spirit Guide / Hexmage.

Regarding Not of This World, I will repeat this part:

You guys who are replacing Not of This World - what decks are you worried about? The maindeck has been serving me well for...well, ever. I haven't changed a card since I put in Expedition Map about 9-10 months ago. I could see cutting a maximum of 1, and only for a Dryad Arbor or Factory. You don't need or want Library against Delver and you're fine G1 against most combo decks.

Not of This World is great.

Edit: To elaborate a bit more, our deck looks like a joke against Swords to Plowshares or Karakas without Not of This World. Crop Rotation has a real cost and has other uses. I haven't had much trouble against combo decks with my current configuration, and I want to be able to beat Stoneblade and Death and Taxes G1 if possible.

I trust you as I too ran the 2 MD Notw to GP level success, so I'll follow your lead on the Notw.

As for the libraries/equivalent, what are they coming in vs? I presume Library is used over tracker/confidant due to being harder to kill?

I also have gone down to 2x NotW in the main. However, they are really helpful in orchestrating that one turn where you win. I also have been running 1x Collective Brutality, and will be going up to 2x. This helps utilize those occasional dead cards and also is a discard spell that I can keep in when I board in my 4x Chalices.

I also am going to try Ground Seal in the SB. It stops Life from the Loam out of Lands (really the only way they reliably win against us), stops Surgical extraction (the only way BUG and Delver variants steal matches from us--when used in conjunction with Diabolic Edict or maybe Submerge), stops Snapcaster, stops Deathrite Shaman, and stops most reanimation spells (except Exhume). My other anti-edict, anti-graveyard SB tech is Beckon Apparition. I think it was mentioned here as a joke, but it's the real deal :-) Except it nombos with Ground Seal.

Nov 2010
    Japan

Quote Originally Posted by DNSolver View Post
    I have been able to discard Edict or play around topdecked Edict outs by casting Spirit Guide / Hexmage.

Regarding Not of This World, I will repeat this part:

Not of This World is great.

Edit: To elaborate a bit more, our deck looks like a joke against Swords to Plowshares or Karakas without Not of This World. Crop Rotation has a real cost and has other uses. I haven't had much trouble against combo decks with my current configuration, and I want to be able to beat Stoneblade and Death and Taxes G1 if possible.
    Crop Rotation has a real cost, but so does playing Not of this World. It feels like I'm a Dredge player with maindeck Nature's Claim in my deck because of one player in my area playing RIP Combo. Sure, the deck looks foolish if your opponent just has the proper hate, but it's not assured and we actually have some answers so I don't feel it's necessary to go as far as playing maindeck dedicated anti-hate to combat it. Basically, the answer to your question is actually "I am not afraid of Death and Taxes and Stoneblade...because they don't show up."

I originally questioned playing Not of this World main because I contend you wouldn't actually play the card if you knew 100% that you were going into a metagame with 0 copies of Death and Taxes, and very few Stoneblade players. That's how my metagame has ended up looking. If you're seeing a lot of white decks then it makes sense to risk the dead cards against combo, but when every tournament you go to effectively has you running a combo gauntlet, Not of this World has no text and makes little sense.

Edit: I don't know what anyone else's metagame looks like so perhaps it was a mistake to advocate for playing no Not of this World as a universal thing, but I do believe it's something players should consider as a metagame choice when they don't expect a ton of Swords and Karakas.

I can see myself going down to 2 NOTW but I havent played the deck for a few weeks now
    Solnox on MTGO

Miracles is a good matchup for depths. Quote me on this

Griselbrand is not an interesting creature.

Dread it. Run from it. Marit Lage still arrives

Are we sure that Sylvan Library is where we want to be post board? I guess I just don't see it over Tireless Tracker/Bob/Eye of Ugin + Emrakul/Worldbreaker plan.

I could see Tracker / Bob being good replacements for Library. In the mono-red matchups I like Library but I could see Tracker being alright there as a way to win through Blood Moon. I do like that Library synergizes well with all of our tutors as shuffle effects.

I don't think that Eye is necessary in the meta. It would only have text against Stoneblade and I think the matchup is fine.

Here is my finalized list for the tournament. Upon review of recent tournament reports, the meta is full of reanimator, S&S, BUG, eldrazi, & delver.

* 12 Combo Lands
    * 3 Utility - Steppe/Bog/GQ
    * 2 Snows
    * 2 Marsh
    * 2 Bayou
    * 2 Verdant
    * 3 Into
    * 4 Sylvan
    * 4 Crop
    * 4 Duress
    * 4 Tseize
    * 4 Needle