Page 91 of 166 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192939495101141 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,820 of 3301

Thread: [Deck] Turbo Depths

Dec 2015
    Bensalem, PA

Re: [Deck] Dark Depths

Quote Originally Posted by MDHackbert View Post
    make sure he archives it. If i don't get to it live, i'll watch after.
    It appears that he does since he has videos there, but I'll ask him later

Jun 2015
    MA

Quote Originally Posted by MDHackbert View Post
    make sure he archives it. If i don't get to it live, i'll watch after.
    Videos will be archived fo sho
    Streaming on Twitch! twitch.tv/leavingalegacy

Co-host of Leaving a Legacy

Has living wish been discussed

Jun 2015
    New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by ugotpauld View Post
    Has living wish been discussed
    Yes. Several times and to the same result: too slow, but feel free to try it for yourself.

Living Wish goes into more control lists - http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=23229&iddeck=179954

Too slow for this archetype which wants to strip defenses with discard and get a fast Lage, then nullify any responses with countermeasures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Jan 2015
    Portland, OR

I am not sure this is the right place for this, or really where it goes at all, but I saw this list surface over the weekend and wanted to try it out: http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=15633&d=295510&f=LE

I managed to go 1-2 with it, while a friend on the same list went 2-1. The deck felt powerful in a lot of ways, combining all the best features of Dark Depths, and the toolbox land package of Combo Lands. That said, having played both, it pulls in two different directions sometimes. Being only my first time taking the deck out, I was not sure how to fully utilize the SB. I won against Elves (although he drew most of his deck through a resolved Sphere of Resistance G3, which was incredibly impressive to watch), lost a pretty fast and not particularly close match to Death and Taxes, then had a very interactive and interesting game against Dark Bant. I sided in the full combo from the side, he plays RiP, I have 3 lands that tap for mana and some others, top deck the Helm (he only has a brainstorm in hand), but did not find a 4th land to do him in. Felt bad, but knowing I COULD have won there was nice.

There are some elements to the deck that are clunky, such as the whole Intuition situation in the side. I kind of wish that they were just Entombs, but understand 3 is better than one a lot of the times. I also would like O-stone to be EE, possibly finding room for an EE in the main as well. DnT was incredibly tough, and I was not really sure what axis to fight on.

When sidebaording, I took out usually a cycle land, a Loam, some number of Ports, Sylvan Scrying and some HexMages. I am not sure that was right, but it felt like when siding into the other combo, you want to side out a little less reliance on the main plain. Also, the first game where I did not side out the mages and went for the other combo, I had 2x Voids and 2x Mages in hand with only one black source.

All and all, if you have the cards, this list is funky enough to give a shot. I enjoyed the feel of it, and the overall speed versus RGCL. However, there is clearly some room for refinement (likely based on meta), and necessity of reps with the deck. Would love to hear others thoughts on the list, or where to go with it.

Edit: I never actually saw or cast Scrying to know if it felt good. I do think some tutor is necessary, but I wonder if this could be either Entomb or Intuition. Both of those may be too slow.

Oct 2015
    Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Emrakul503 View Post
    I am not sure this is the right place for this, or really where it goes at all, but I saw this list surface over the weekend and wanted to try it out: http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=15633&d=295510&f=LE

I managed to go 1-2 with it, while a friend on the same list went 2-1. The deck felt powerful in a lot of ways, combining all the best features of Dark Depths, and the toolbox land package of Combo Lands. That said, having played both, it pulls in two different directions sometimes. Being only my first time taking the deck out, I was not sure how to fully utilize the SB. I won against Elves (although he drew most of his deck through a resolved Sphere of Resistance G3, which was incredibly impressive to watch), lost a pretty fast and not particularly close match to Death and Taxes, then had a very interactive and interesting game against Dark Bant. I sided in the full combo from the side, he plays RiP, I have 3 lands that tap for mana and some others, top deck the Helm (he only has a brainstorm in hand), but did not find a 4th land to do him in. Felt bad, but knowing I COULD have won there was nice.

There are some elements to the deck that are clunky, such as the whole Intuition situation in the side. I kind of wish that they were just Entombs, but understand 3 is better than one a lot of the times. I also would like O-stone to be EE, possibly finding room for an EE in the main as well. DnT was incredibly tough, and I was not really sure what axis to fight on.

When sidebaording, I took out usually a cycle land, a Loam, some number of Ports, Sylvan Scrying and some HexMages. I am not sure that was right, but it felt like when siding into the other combo, you want to side out a little less reliance on the main plain. Also, the first game where I did not side out the mages and went for the other combo, I had 2x Voids and 2x Mages in hand with only one black source.

All and all, if you have the cards, this list is funky enough to give a shot. I enjoyed the feel of it, and the overall speed versus RGCL. However, there is clearly some room for refinement (likely based on meta), and necessity of reps with the deck. Would love to hear others thoughts on the list, or where to go with it.

Edit: I never actually saw or cast Scrying to know if it felt good. I do think some tutor is necessary, but I wonder if this could be either Entomb or Intuition. Both of those may be too slow.
    Personally I think Life from the Loam is too slow, and when reanimator took over, the graveyard became a huge liability. I moved over to Dark Depths from RG Combo Lands and haven't missed it. IMO the meta has become too fast to durdle with filling the graveyard and waiting for your opponent to do things while hoping to get your combo in a reasonable time frame.
    Now Playing:
    Dark depths
    Reanimator
    MUD
    Disclaimer: The above person does not claim to have knowledge pertaining to the following subject: anything. Thus, said person may not be held liable for any mishaps/explosions that his advice incurs.

Jan 2015
    Portland, OR

You might be right. I like the idea of having some more late game stuff going on, but the dead sprint to the finish line can be what you really need to get there. I suppose the appeal of this deck was that it incorporated elements of both, and I definitely do feel it is faster and less reliant on GY than RGCL. I want to give it another go before jumping ship entirely. Also, locally, the GY hate comes in the form of things like RiP usually, which makes the Helm combo just that much more viable.

Oct 2015
    Seoul, KR

Negator, I've been interested in your list as a primarily BUG player, but I'm missing Moxes from your list. Are these entirely required? Is there any other way you would build the mana base or should the deck be BG if I'm not running those?

I'm currently playing a pretty stock DNSolver list.

Dec 2015
    Bensalem, PA

Quote Originally Posted by ashent View Post
    Negator, I've been interested in your list as a primarily BUG player, but I'm missing Moxes from your list. Are these entirely required? Is there any other way you would build the mana base or should the deck be BG if I'm not running those?

I'm currently playing a pretty stock DNSolver list.
    Sadly, yeah. Unless you can find another card that simultaneously fills the requirements of being a turn 1 colored source for U, B, and G that isn't a one shot use while also being an accelerant that is. Some of the most busted draws the deck has involve brainstorm being cast turn 1 off Mox giving you access to the top 10/11 cards (play/draw) to put together a turn 2 combo (many combinations of cards) with disruption that can be played off of your land drop on turn 1 often shuffling away excess in the process. The list would need a pretty big overhaul to accommodate it not being there.

Oct 2015
    Seoul, KR

Okay, thanks a lot. I really do like the idea of adding Brainstorm to the deck but the Mox Diamonds have never been on my staples list. I already have a ridiculous amount of cards, I'll probably get them anyway but it seems like I should stop

Oct 2015
    Virginia

With my luck in dice rolling lately I am considering Gemstone Cavern
    Now Playing:
    Dark depths
    Reanimator
    MUD
    Disclaimer: The above person does not claim to have knowledge pertaining to the following subject: anything. Thus, said person may not be held liable for any mishaps/explosions that his advice incurs.

Just won a GPT with Turbo Depths today. 19 people 5 rounds

List

4x Thespian's Stage
    4x Dark Depths
    3x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4x Verdant Catacombs
    2x Bayou
    1x Blooming Marsh
    1x Forest
    1x Swamp
    1x Ghost Quarter
    1x Bojuka Bog
    1x Sejiri Steppe
    1x Maze of Ith
    4x Vampire Hexmage
    4x Elvish Spirit Guide
    4x Lotus Petal
    4x Crop Rotation
    4x Sylvan Scrying
    1x Sylvan Library
    4x Thoughtseize
    3x Duress
    4x Pithing Needle
    3x Not of This World
    2x Abrupt Decay

SB:
    3x Sphere of Resistance
    3x Chalice of the Void
    3x Surgical Extraction
    1x Karakas
    1x Mishra's Factory
    1x Sylvan Library
    2x Golgari Charm
    1x Abrupt Decay

R1 vs Unexpected Miracles (1-2)

G1: Plow, snap plow, force are good magic cards vs Depths

G2: I grind to the point where I can manually unlock depths at 1 counter but try to wear him down with discard, mishra's beats. I land a sylvan library. I make lage and he's forced to plow it. I draw a ton of cards and kill his blocker with decay to kill him with 4 Mishra's Factories

G3: I mulligan to 4 and almost draw out of it. He gets there with Clique/Snaps beats before I can draw the round.

R2 vs Chimp and Show (2-0).

G1: I T1 land, T2 scrying, T3 make Lage and He cant find a 5th mana to sneak an emrakul

G2: I play a Turn 1 Depths which makes a T2 Show super risky. I play Urborg hexmage. He t3 shows and I put in needle naming sneak. He puts in Omni and his spell was Sneak attack. Marit Lage takes it.

R3 vs Grixis Delver (2-0)

G1: T2 Scrying meets a Force of Will. I draw a hexmage and play depths and he doesnt have Wasteland.

G2: I T1 Duress, Petal, ESG, Chalice on 1. He tilts off and flips a 2nd surgical off his delver trigger. I rip a lotus petal to play Hexmage and play depths to win it.

R4 vs BG Depths feat MB Surgical, Probe (1-2)

G1: A Thoughtseize shows MB 2 Surgicals!!! Probe, Creatures. I take his hexmage and He proceeds to draw Hexmage into Depths with Urborg. Ouch

G2: I T2 Crop rotation for the win after he taps out for library

G3: We both make Marit Lages and stare at each other. I can't find a Land tutor or sejiri steppe to get past his and I lose to Deathrite drain.

R5 vs Goblins (2-1)

G1: I have Urborg, Bog tapped, Lotus petal at the end of his T2. I use the petal to rotation the bog for depths. float double black. ESG 2nd Rotation the urborg for Stage to win.

G2: I mull to 5 and he swarms me with Goblins. Dead on T3.

G3: I have Urborg Needle Wasteland. T2 Depth Hexmage with NOTW backup for any shenanigans.

I managed to limp into 8th place at 3-2 and am paired vs the number 1 Seed on Black Red Reanimator.

Quarters vs Black Red Reanimator (2-1)

G1: He tries to go for a T2 Griselbrand but I have the rotation for Bog to stop it. I tutor for Stage and T4 Marit Lage after he bricks a few turns.

G2: A T1 Chancellor stops anything I'm doing for a while. He plays needle to stop stage and thoughtseizes my hexmage. I can't find a 2nd hexmage and I die to the angel.

G3: I Throw a chalice for 0 into the Chancellor trigger and thoughtseize him. He has 3x Reanimation spells, land, chancellor, Entomb, Dark Rit. I take the Entomb and he goes on the EOT discard a creature plan. I rip Hexmage and play depths to T2 Marit Lage

Semis vs GB Depths Mirror

G1: He draws 3x Rotation and I draw 1.

G2: I chimp him T2 with Lage and he doesnt have an answer.

G3: I keep a questionable 7 of GQ, Stage, Depths, Needle, Roto, Duress, NOTW. He plays t1 urborg thoughtseizes my Rotation. I draw urborg and play Stage and the needle on Hexmage to prevent the T2 kill. He probes and thoughtseizes taking the duress and plays a wasteland. I draw ESG and play depths to bait the waste. He wastes and I float black off his Urborg with depths, ESGs and copies depths. He cant draw Diabolic Edict and I win.

Finals vs Bant Deathblade

G1: I have the godhand of Hexmage, Depths, Duress, Urborg, NOTW, Rotation, Fetch. He leads with T1 waste. I play urborg and duress him, taking the Batterskull leaving him with 2 dazes, tundra, SFM. I play a 2nd duress and take a Daze. I play some lands and play a needle before I play Hexmage+depths. He has no answer and we go to G2.

G2: He keeps a 1 lander and I have a reasonable hand with needle, NOTW, Discard, lands, tutor. I t1 urborg needle, he Forces it. He brainstorms and locks himself.. I thoughtseize him and play petal+scrying with depths as mana to get Scrying. He Brainstorms again and finds a waste and lets me untap. I play a stage and another petal. A 2nd needle off the top on wasteland forces the activation of wasteland but Stage makes Lage. I have NOTw for any shenanigans and it gets all the way there.

I really liked the deck as always but I think the unexpected miracles lists are going to be problems. Plow snap plow is still absurd. There was no DnT in the room which makes the truly worst matchup miracles with maverick following it. Chalice in the board was pretty great as Chalice on 1 vs combo, delver is insane. being able to throw chalice into a chancellor trigger and letting me thoughtseize was key in winning that matchup.
    Solnox on MTGO

Miracles is a good matchup for depths. Quote me on this

Griselbrand is not an interesting creature.

Dread it. Run from it. Marit Lage still arrives

Oct 2015
    Virginia

How was maze of ith? Did you miss into the north at all?
    Now Playing:
    Dark depths
    Reanimator
    MUD

I liked Maze as it was pretty great for the mirror or aggressive decks like Delver.

I think I've stated in some of my previous posts but I'm of the opinion that Into the North is absolute trash. Exposing myself to Wasteland +surgical extraction is not worth it at all and forces you to play Snow Covered basics which give off an immediate tell that you are on Turbo Depths. I've won games where my opponents have thought I was on Shardless or BUG Leos etc by going verdant fetch, swamp/bayou thoughtseize.
    Solnox on MTGO

Miracles is a good matchup for depths. Quote me on this

Griselbrand is not an interesting creature.

Dread it. Run from it. Marit Lage still arrives

Jun 2016
    Eugene, OR

Quote Originally Posted by solnox View Post
    I liked Maze as it was pretty great for the mirror or aggressive decks like Delver.

I think I've stated in some of my previous posts but I'm of the opinion that Into the North is absolute trash. Exposing myself to Wasteland +surgical extraction is not worth it at all and forces you to play Snow Covered basics which give off an immediate tell that you are on Turbo Depths. I've won games where my opponents have thought I was on Shardless or BUG Leos etc by going verdant fetch, swamp/bayou thoughtseize.
    I'm curious as to how you liked the mainboard abrupt decay. I assume these took the spots of expedition map? Also wondering just in general how you liked having less land tutors? I've played depths off and on for the past 7 months or so, but was thinking about giving it a spin soon, definitely looking to run mainboard decay for the heavy number of blood moons in my meta.

Quote Originally Posted by solnox View Post
    Just won a GPT with Turbo Depths today. 19 people 5 rounds

R4 vs BG Depths feat MB Surgical, Probe (1-2)

G1: A Thoughtseize shows MB 2 Surgicals!!! Probe, Creatures. I take his hexmage and He proceeds to draw Hexmage into Depths with Urborg. Ouch

G2: I T2 Crop rotation for the win after he taps out for library

G3: We both make Marit Lages and stare at each other. I can't find a Land tutor or sejiri steppe to get past his and I lose to Deathrite drain.
    Hi solnox, nice read. Could you provide me a decklist of your BG Depths opponent? I am thrilled by an idea of playing BG Dark Depths and being able to play fair games of Magic sometimes (Shaman drains, attacking with creatures etc).

Played the Legacy Challenge today to a mediocre result, mostly due to excellent draws from opponents and poor draws from my own. Recorded my rounds in real time (not streamed) - check out the link.

Changes going forward: possibly changing the sideboard to be able to interact on turn 0 vs Storm, Mindbreak Traps instead of Spheres.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCos...cbroyAJYvGuUeQ
    If you're wondering how I produce blue mana, I copy my opponent's Island with Thespian's Stage

My Youtube and Twitch usernames are DNSolver.

I am the Legacy metagame:

-2016 Eternal Weekend Europe won by BR Reanimator (I wrote the primer)
    -2016 Eternal Weekend North America won by Turbo Dark Depths (I write about and develop the winning version specifically)
    -Refiner of Hogaak Depths.

Went 3-2, good for 10th (28 people) at my local GPT Vegas today.

2 Bayou
    1 Blooming Marsh
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Sejiri Steppe
    1 Snow-Forest
    1 Snow-Swamp
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Dark Depths
    4 Thespian's Stage
    3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

4 Vampire Hexmage
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Lotus Petal

2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Duress
    2 Inquisition of Kozilek
    4 Thoughtseize
    1 Toxic Deluge

4 Crop Rotation
    2 Into the North
    1 Sylvan Library
    4 Sylvan Scrying

3 Pithing Needle

Sideboard:

1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Golgari Charm
    1 Karakas
    1 Krosan Grip
    2 Not of This World
    1 Pithing Needle
    3 Sphere of Resistance
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Tireless Tracker
    1 Toxic Deluge

I decided to run 2 Abrupt Decay and a Toxic Deluge main over NOTW and Expedition maps, but otherwise list is pretty stock.

R1: L vs DnT (0-2)
    Of course after cutting NOTW I face DnT first round. I hung on in these games but drew horribly. By the time I made a token in G1, he had Mom+Mom + Serra Avenger online to block, and had a Jitte on the angel. In G2 I dismantled a lot of his hand with discard spells, and Ghost Quartered a Karakas, used a Toxic to clear the board once, but never drew a 2nd combo piece or tutor. A single Thalia attacking every turn did about 12 or 14 dmg to me. NOTW would not have saved me either game but Toxic Deluge would have saved me G1 (I did board the NOTW in for G2, along with 2nd Toxic, 4th Needle, and Golgari charm). I should have swapped my Bojuka Bog for Karakas for G2 but I spaced and forgot.

R2: W vs Elves (2-0)
    G1 I mull to 6 and get an explosive hand: Into The North, Thespian's stage, Lotus Petal, Lotus Petal, Urborg and a 6th card I cant remember. Played ITN turn one into a turn 2 token, turn 3 win. Elf player tried to combo since he knew he was dead but didn't draw any gas with his Glimpses. G2 I have another very fast hand with Petal, ESG, Hexmage, Dark Depths, Verdant and some tutors. I don't need the tutors as I make a turn 2 token with Hexmage and Depths for a T3 win again.
    I sided in 2 Spheres, 2nd Toxic and Golgari charm. I brought in Dryad Arbor over Bojuka bog in case he had Diabolic Edict in his SB.

R3: L vs Infect (0-2)
    G1 I played Hexmage turn 2 off a petal and Bayou before making my land drop (depths in hand) and he almost let it go through but he realized he should FoW it. Next turn he comes in with Two Invigorates and a Berserk on Glistener Elf for the win.
    G2: Again I can't get through his counter magic and he wins on T3 with 2x Invigorate and Berserk again. He had the nut draw both games, but I guess I should have mulled for some Discard, as I didn't have any T1 disruption either game. First time playing vs Infect with this deck, I kept hands with resiliency but no disruption. Didn't expect to lose T3 each game from 0 infect to lethal. Maybe I should have boarded in Spheres for this matchup?

R4:W vs MUD-Post (2-0)
    G1: I am on the play and keep a strong hand with Thoughtseize, Crop Rotate, Thespian's stage, Urborg, Lotus Petal, Verdant. T1 Thoughtseize grabs his Chalice,and his other cards are just Mana-Artifacts and lands. I make the token at the end of his T2 and Attack for the win T3.
    G2: He plays a land and passes T1, I have another good hand with Dark Depths, Hexmage, Duress, Lotus Petal, Crop Rotate and B/G lands. I play Duress T1 and take a Sphere of Resistance. Proceed to combo pretty easily after that as he doesn't draw any answers or threats, just mana rocks and Eye of Ugin when it was too late.

R5: W vs UB Reanimator (2-0)
    G1: We both slow each other down with T1 Thoughtseizes, but eventually when he tries to combo I have Crop Rotate ----> Bojuka Bog and he didn't have a counter to back himself up.
    G2: Again a pretty slow game after some T1 Discard from both sides. He had an Echoing Truth for my first ML token, then he plays a Pithing Needle on Stage before I could assemble my next combo, and lays a 2nd Needle on Hexmage the next turn. He spends a few turns digging for his combo pieces, but doesn't have much luck. By the time he starts to set up I had a Bojuka Bog again and a Surgical Extraction in hand too. I end up winning the game with 2 x Elvish Spirit Guide and a Hexmage attacking (I boarded out my Abrupts after G1, so couldn't destroy the Needles, whoops).

I liked having the Abrupt Decay + Toxic Deluge maindeck but I'd say it remains a meta call.

Still testing stuff and I think I have found a nice tech in diabolic intent wih blisterpod along khalni garden and cabal therapy ; it allows to find hate against combo or against opponents hate. I do tink it is an improvment of the deck, but I need more testing to see if I confimr my tests.
    So here is my latest one :

// 60 Maindeck
    // 7 Artifact
    4 Expedition Map
    3 Pithing Needle

// 8 Creature
    4 Vampire Hexmage
    4 Blisterpod

// 4 Instant
    4 Crop Rotation

// 25 Land
    4 Thespian's Stage
    4 Dark Depths
    4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Khalni Garden
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Sejiri Steppe
    1 Ghost Quarter
    4 Blooming Marsh
    2 Llanowar Wastes

// 16 Sorcery
    4 Cabal Therapy
    3 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Diabolic Intent
    3 Duress
    2 Toxic Deluge

// 15 Sideboard
    // 3 Artifact
    SB: 1 Grafdigger's Cage
    SB: 2 Sphere of Resistance

// 5 Enchantment
    SB: 2 Dread of Night
    SB: 3 Seal of Primordium

// 4 Instant
    SB: 4 Surgical Extraction

// 3 Land
    SB: 1 Bojuka Bog
    SB: 1 Maze of Ith
    SB: 1 Forest

EDIT : tested a bit the list but it seems that it is better to play stuff good on his own so back to previous list
    Last edited by adrieng; 06-05-2017 at 04:14 AM.

Thread Information