1 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Rest in Peace
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Sulfuric Vortex
    2 Krosan Grip
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Ancient Grudge

Wat?
    My wife is from upstate NY and we both went to college there. We have a bunch of friends and family in the NYC area so the GP was really just an excuse to finally go visit everyone. With only about a week to go before we left, I wasn't really crazy about the format, and considered not even registering at all. I decided the swag was at least worth the $50 though, so I bit the bullet and decided to play. I was looking for something else in my bulk green uncommons/rares and saw my playset of Gibbons and thought they might be pretty rad in a meta full of decks built around Delver, so I jammed some games and decided on a list in about 3 days. It looks like a pile of shit, and it probably is.

The Event
    Everything started out great. We were staying with family about an hour away, so by the time I drove to the site, grabbed friends from their hotel, parked, waited in that huge line for a deck-reg sheet and filled it out, it was time for the player meeting. By the time my list got picked up, my guts were finally trying to get revenge on me for the gastronomic assault I'd been waging on them all week in NYC. The only toilet that didn't have 60 people in line was the row of porta-johns out front. They were actually really clean at that point, so I thought I'd stumbled onto a gold mine, until I got a reminder of the physics involved in dropping something into liquid from two feet up.

My ass got covered in blue liquid and I'm pretty sure I got Hepatitis-C. After furiously going through about 200 yards of 1-ply, I sulked back into the Expo Center pissed off and grossed out, but at least relieved in time for the tournament.

Round 1 - Miracles
    He wins game 1, then keeps a bad hand in game 2 and is dead within 5 turns. Game 3 his Counterbalance does him no favors without Top, and I double bolt him for the win before he can stabilize.
    1-0

Round 2 - Elves
    I have nothing against Elves except hoping for an early Fallout, which I don't get.
    1-1

Round 3 - Burn
    Hidden Gibbons > Burn.
    2-1

Round 4 - Deathblade
    Game 1 he had enough removal and got there with Jitte on TNN. Game 2 I just need to answer a goddamn Batterskull that's barely keeping him in the game against my 5/6 Goyfs, but I never find any artifact removal. Guess that's what I get for not playing Blue.
    2-2

Round 5 - Deathblade
    My notes suck, but I think I just conceded to Jitte/Batterskull in Game 1. Game 2 for some reason he doesn't want to lose both his Deathrites and only blocks one Guide, which put him in bolt range. I had a bolt. Game 3 I had a fast start with Nacatl and Guide. He started to stabilize, but at 6 life tapped his Deathrite to Swords Nacatl before damage without blocking first, and I had Bloodrush for the unblocked Guide. You can't counter Bloodrush.
    3-2

Round 6 - Show and Tell
    This guy dropped some of my cards in his lap while attempting to shuffle. Good thing I had to mulligan and decided to pile shuffle, because it turns out one was on the floor with a goddamn shoe print on it already. Guy was super apologetic though and it was just a Goblin Guide, so I let it slide.

Game 1 he makes spaghetti everywhere and wins at 3 life. Game 2 he taps two Volcanics and a Petal to make a turn 2 Blood Moon. He forgets that Pridemage swings for 3 per turn, and that he's against a deck full of bolts, and dies before he ever finds a blue source. Game 3 I get a fast start, and after revealing Sneak Attack with Guide, drop Gaddock Teeg. He then attempts to cast said Sneak Attack through said Teeg. Apparently he got distracted when the guy next to him took his pen and thought it was a Pridemage. He had Force in hand the whole time.
    4-2

Round 7 - UR Delver
    Game 1 he has two Delvers that never flip, while my guys are naturally beefy. Game 2 he flips Delver and gets there after I play Thalia into Daze after telling myself not to play Thalia into Daze. Game 3 I hit the ground running and have him at 10 by turn 2. He gets Young Peezy and makes a token, but I Path the Pyromancer and Bloodrush over his token to put him at 1. He was able to burn out my last Guide on the next combat, but had to expose two Gibbons to do so. He could not find 8 points of burn by my next turn.
    5-2

Round 8 - Dredge
    Game 1 after Careful Study and two Breakthroughs the only creature in his yard is a single Ichorid, and my Goyfs are 6/7s. Game 2 he does dredge things so I scoop. He arranges his graveyard in a shitty way and I get kinda pissed. Game 3 he Therapies himself to pitch Grave Troll. Turn 2 I drop RiP and he immediately scoops. Then he got super salty about his luck and how he'd lost a bunch of game 1s that day.
    6-2

Round 9 - Burn
    My Gibbons were once again revealed. 2-0.
    7-2

Concession
    At this point, I considered the logistics of changing my flight and getting back to LaGuardia on my own, and it just didn't seem worth it given the number of players and the prize structure, so I gave my opponent the win. He was a nice guy, wasn't playing poorly, wasn't running Delver, and wasn't a salty sourpuss about losing, so it seemed like the best time to bow out. Turns out it was his first shot at day 2 and he was super greatful to keep playing. It would have been my first day 2 as well, but I'm just not that competitive. I'll take a smug sense of self-righteousness over 6 more rounds of Magic any day.

I waited for everyone else to finish and we took my friend's beat to shit Pathfinder on a grand adventure over curbs and across many lanes of traffic to White Castle, where an angry old woman took our order with a Jersey accent so thick I felt like I'd been verbally assaulted afterwards.

Final Thoughts
    Honestly the deck was just ok. I won several matches I shouldn't have, but I think it's actually got a shot in the meta again now that nobody is running 4x Swords, 4x Snapcaster anymore. It's still stupid fast, and one of the more consistent non-blue decks, since all the pieces are interchangeable.

Props to Rampager, Gibbons, dumb luck, the Pathfinder, and having 24 creatures in a format where 4x Bolt is a removal suite. Also to RiP for coming through for me even though I really wanted it to be Containment Priest. Also NYC for having phenomenal food everywhere you turn. I think I spent over $2k and gained 10lbs in a week, and have absolutely no regrets.

Slops to Experiment One for being a shitty 2/2 80% of the time. Hope you enjoyed your 15 minutes, because your translucent ass is getting cut. And to White Castle. That shit is gross, even when you're exhausted and starving at midnight.

Hmm, one other thing...what was it...mmm...oh yeah. Gibbons.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Re: Gibbon it to the format: 7-2 with Zoo at GP New Jersey

Best fucking report ever. I have no idea why I love zoo so much, but this was awesome. And the Tom goes to the mayor pic killed me. Looks like I need some unplayable dual lands again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

shallow
    Aug 2010
    denver, co

Props to Day 2ing with Zoo! Sorta. Sweet report - was exactly what I was hoping to read. :)

And don't say I didn't warn you that White Castle wasn't good before we went there
    Find me on Twitter: @beanaman

His graveyard was a fucking encyclopedia of countermagic.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Easily the report of the year, no question. Congrats on the finish too.

Also NYC for having phenomenal food everywhere you turn. I think I spent over $2k and gained 10lbs in a week, and have absolutely no regrets.
    Every time I've gone back, I engorge myself on real pizza and Italian food. Hands down the best.

And to White Castle. That shit is gross, even when you're exhausted and starving at midnight.
    Absolute fact. Next time you go, you're going to do it again though, no doubt. Did you get a vanilla shake? If not, you literally missed the best thing on the menu. Formula for a good white castle visit is [(gross burgers) + (sub par fries)] * (vanilla shake) = (gas > days).
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Hostile to humans

Mar 2008
    Moscow, Russia

Monkey rush yer face, goddamit!
    Holy crap, I still can't believe how can there be so much WIN!!! in a card fucking game report.
    Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.

Mar 2014
    Boston

Best thing I've ever read. Foil gibbons incoming.
    Playing some variety of delver.

Jul 2013
    Texas

Hidden Gibbons vs. Delver seems hilarious. Kind of a bummer vs. Elves & D&T, is that why you only played 3?

Also just realized you can't Disenchant Gibbons. Nice. Cool deck.

Dec 2013
    Lowell MA

Awesome! I think I'll be jumping on the monkey bandwagon for my next weekly.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Hidden Gibbons vs. Delver seems hilarious. Kind of a bummer vs. Elves & D&T, is that why you only played 3?

Also just realized you can't Disenchant Gibbons. Nice. Cool deck.
    Yeah only 3 because there are definitely matches where it's dead, and because you can't draw it off Domri. It's also not a dude and it's not burn, so it's not really something you want to draw into a lot in topdeck mode.

It's a very strange card, because it's not aggressive, but it's played agressively, and enables more aggressive play...if that makes sense. You basically want it right after you have some board presence, Nacatl or Guide ideally. You then drop your second land, Gibbons, and now you get to play all your other guys into Daze. It also forces people to use their spot removal early, which makes Bloodrush a lot better.

I actually nearly changed them out for Hooting Mandrills a day or two before we left, but after jamming a few games I felt like Mandrills wasn't as easy to cast as I hoped, and more often than not they just clogged up my hand.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Awesome report! This line is a classic: "I'll take a smug sense of self-righteousness over 6 more rounds of Magic any day."

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

Suggested replacement for Experiment One?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

God, is that furry bondage?

Site Contributor
    Feb 2010
    Denver, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrislegend View Post
    My guess would be 3x Grim Lavamancer and an additional burn spell or Sylvan Library. I have also been disappointed by EXP1 in recent Zoo experimentation (I even played Vexing Devil to pump him up - that guy is also bad).
    Lord of the Chalice

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Since playing against Spiral Tide provides a lot fun for both players is something only someone who's not had sex for quite a while could enjoy, I pull out GW Maverick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm Ape View Post
    Spikes are supposed to enjoy winning by leveraging their talents, but this card can't fetch the most SKILL INTENSIVE card in all of Magic?

Clearly aimed at Modern plebs, not gonna be a pillar of our format.
    Stompy Discord: https://discord.gg/6cesvkz

kird ape because apes

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Much thanks for very nice report.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

There are a lot of options that are probably better. To be super simple and not change the curve, you could run 4 Kird Ape. Or you could run the other two Pridemages, which seems pretty good right now with UWR coming back, plus two of something else, KotR or Hooting Mandrills or Kird Apes or Lavamancers.

I'm also thinking of cutting Domri, mostly because I borrowed them, partially because I only saw him once all day where he didn't get countered and he just died to True Name. In theory I like him a lot though, draw and removal all in one package.

The Enchanter
    Mar 2012
    Council Bluffs, IA

Excellent report and it was nice meeting you!

normally the story starts with white castle and ends with explosive diarhea ... in this case it was the opposite, would read again

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

If anyone is interested in further reading about my bowel movements, follow me @bristolscale.

I've considered having the bristol scale chart made into a playmat.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    I've considered having the bristol scale chart made into a playmat.
    So you can rate each match/opponent based on it!?

Thread Information