Thread: [Deck] Chalice of the Dark Order

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

[Deck] Chalice of the Void / Natural Order / Eldrazi

Chalice of the Void / Natural Order / Eldrazi

wtf are these cards doing together?

Why Play This Deck?

This deck is a blend of multiple decks, Sylvan Plug, Turbo Eldrazi, and Maverick. The combination offsets the weaknesses of each individual with the strengths of the others. The deck has a great early game that doesn't get blown out by combo, and an incredibly strong end game.

After lots of testing and outlining the Shell, I was able to identify variable slots that could be adapted to different existing decks to offset the decks weakness. Although I personally prefer Dark depths it appears that the turbo eldrazi inclusion offsets the decks weaknesses almost perfectly. Chalice and NO are great early game plays. GSZ enables a lot of consistency. Eldrazi, is one of the best END games available. Once you get to the critical mass of casting Emrakul, you almost always win. Primeval Titan is perfect for buying time and sustaining life where the dark depths version failed. Getting Glacial chasm / glimmer posts are ideal here.

The deck has access to T1 Chalice of the Void, T2 natural order, T2 KOTR. I'm looking at those T2 plays and thinking that the deck can reasonably cast chalice of the void on t1 or t2 and still has multiple really good plays on T2 without it. Also, the deck isn't hindered by chalice significantly either because of only 3 crop rotations. Even without ancient tomb in opening you can always crop rotate into it since crop will be dead after it hits anyways. It's very nice to have 3 different ways to victory because you never really get shut out by anything.

Card choices

Knight of the reliquary: great GSZ target, great tutor for Eldrazi and dark depths lands, excellent aggro option if necessary. Also utility bojuka, karakas, maze from board
    Primeval Titan: GSZ and NO target gets Eldrazi lands or depths combo, or beats
    Qasali Pridemage: art/enchant removal although reclamation sage might be better... Pridemage is t2 GSZ target though but slightly harder to cast naturally. ultimately better against omni / sneak because you can cast him preemptively and put pressure on them while they scramble to work around him.

Natural Order Targets

progenitus: great vs decks with blockers / removal such as D&T. Excellent card to race with.
    Terrastadon: smashes targets like equipment, ensnaring bridge, planes walkers, and lands depending on your situation.
    Ruric Thar, the Unbowed: just wins vs combo decks, worst cast it cost them 6 dmg to remove it with a swords... which is unlikely if i have a chalice out.

The Shell

I’ve broken the deck down to the bare minimums required to keep the Chalice of the void aspect reasonably playable T1 and maintain enough consistency through the use of GSZ to warrant playing the deck over others. The reason I did this was to allow other players to get creative with the deck. Clearly here i’ve decided to go with Eldrazi, but have included my older Dark Depths version as well. Feel free to post other variations using this shell that you think might work better.

19 Total Variable Slots

8 Can be anything
    4 Creatures
    7 Lands

Creatures - 12
    4 Variable Slots

1 Artifact / Enchantment removal GSZ target (Qasali Pridemage / Reclamation Sage)
    3 Natural Order Targets (Progenitus, Ruric Thar, the Unbowed, Terastodon)
    4 Primary Focus Creature (must be tutorable with GSZ like Knight of the Reliquary)

Spells - 16
    4 Chalice of the Void (hozes a lot of decks right now)
    4 Natural Order (natural inclusion because of ancient tomb and Green creatures)
    4 Green Sun's Zenith (creates consistency and accelerates with Dryad Arbor)
    2 Sylvan Library (can run up to 4 depending on how effectively you can use those cards)
    2 Mox Diamond (likely the best option for acceleration / mana fixing depending on how questionable the mana base is)

Lands - 24
    7 Variable Slots

2 Dryad Arbor (for GSZ and Natural Order, 2 in case you draw 1)
    7 Fetchlands (shuffle effects for Sylvan library)
    4 Colored Mana Producing Lands (the absolute minimum amount with at least 1 basic)
    4 Ancient Tomb (enables T1 Chalice T2 NO, and access GSZ)

Sideboard - 15
    SB: 9 Variable Slots

Playing with NO and GSZ you are likely to want the following in the board.
    SB: 1 Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
    SB: 1 Reclamation Sage
    SB: 1 Gaddock Teeg
    SB: 3 Trinisphere

Current Version’s of Deck updated 12/26/14

//Creatures - 13
    3 Veteran Explorer
    3 Primeval Titan
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Courser of Kruphix
    1 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
    1 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 Progenitus

//Spells - 19
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Mox Diamond
    3 Natural Order
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    3 Crop Rotation
    3 Sylvan Library

//Lands - 28
    4 Windswept Heath
    5 Forest
    2 Dryad Arbor
    1 Savannah
    1 Cavern of Souls
    1 Karakas
    4 Glimmerpost
    4 Cloudpost
    1 Glacial Chasm
    1 Eye of Ugin
    4 Ancient Tomb

//Sideboard
    SB: 3 Pithing Needle
    SB: 1 Bojuka Bog
    SB: 1 Willow Satyr
    SB: 1 Tower of the Magistrate
    SB: 1 Stingerfling Spider
    SB: 1 Sigarda, Host of Herons
    SB: 1 Hornet Queen

//Others for Consideration
    SB: 1 Bane of Progress
    SB: 1 Scavenging Ooze
    SB: 1 Stoic Angel
    SB: 1 Phantom Nishoba
    SB: 1 Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre

Cards that are being tested
    tower of the magistrate
    willow satyr
    sigarda, host of herons
    Bane of Progress

Cards for Consideration
    hornet nest
    Life from the Loam
    Maze of Ith
    Choke
    Song of the Dryads
    for the sideboard
    ratchet bomb
    ancient grudge
    Anafenza, the Foremost

Cards that have been cut
    Titania, Protector of Argoth
    eternal witness
    elderscale wurm
    scroll rack
    scryb ranger
    courser of kruphix

scroll rack was not really generating any card advantage, required mana to use it, and on an empty hand it's terrible. it doesn't allow you to reload your hand fast.
    scryb ranger has limited use because there are not enough forests / plains to make use of that many activations of KOTR
    titania was so expensive i never searched for her and when i wanted to i had enough to just search for ruric. also ruric is castable under moon more easily.
    courser was just lack luster because games don't drag on very long with this deck.
    elderscale was too limited and i did not find myself searching for him as much as I thought i would.
    eternal witness was lack luster. Unless i wanted to get NO back and cast it the following turn this didn't have many uses.

Past Iterations with changes in bold

//Creatures - 12
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Veteran Explorer
    1 Courser of Kruphix
    2 Primeval Titan
    1 Progenitus
    1 Qasali Pridemage

//Spells - 19
    4 Natural Order
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    3 Crop Rotation
    2 Sylvan Library
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Mox Diamond

//Lands - 29
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 Glacial Chasm
    1 Eye of Ugin
    2 Dryad Arbor
    1 Savannah
    1 Plains
    3 Wooded Foothills
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Forest
    1 Karakas
    4 Glimmerpost
    4 Cloudpost
    1 Vesuva

First Version

//Creatures - 12
    1 Courser of Kruphix
    1 Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
    2 Primeval Titan
    1 Progenitus
    1 Qasali Pridemage

//Spells - 19
    4 Natural Order
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    3 Crop Rotation
    2 Sylvan Library
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Mox Diamond

//Lands - 29
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 Glacial Chasm
    1 Eye of Ugin
    2 Dryad Arbor
    1 Savannah
    3 Wooded Foothills
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Forest
    1 Karakas
    4 Glimmerpost
    4 Cloudpost
    2 Vesuva

Older Dark Depths Version

Creatures 13
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Stingerfling Spider
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Progenitus
    1 Terastodon
    3 Vampire Hexmage

Spells - 19
    2 Sylvan Library
    3 Crop Rotation
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Natural Order
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    2 Mox Diamond

Lands - 28
    2 Dryad Arbor

1 Karakas
    1 Wasteland
    1 Sejiri Steppe
    4 Windswept Heath
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Dark Depths
    3 Thespian's Stage
    1 Forest
    1 Scrubland
    1 Bayou
    1 Savannah
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

Sideboard -15
    SB: 3 Abrupt Decay
    SB: 1 Tower of the Magistrate
    SB: 1 Willow Satyr
    SB: 3 Toxic Deluge
    SB: 1 Bojuka Bog

*Removed matchup analysis and side boarding strategies because it was out of date
    Last edited by apple713; 12-31-2014 at 12:47 AM.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Re: [Deck] Chalice of the Dark Order

Turn the 4 Vampire Hexmages into something else would be the first move I think. Yes, great combo with Dark Depths and UToY but also requires 2 black to cast in a list that just doesn't want that kind of commitment. Tarmogoyf, Abrupt Decay, Cabal Therapy?

Jan 2011
    York

When I played a similar list living wish worked wonders glueing it all together trimming from the knight and hex mage slots. Chalice leaves you with some wonky hands that make life frustrating. Its worth noting that one to two cavern of souls on shaman let you deploy deathrites and hexmage with no fear of your own chalice or counter magic.

Smarter than your average Bear Deck
    Jan 2009

OMG teh name of the deck reflects the card choices in it!!zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Okay, a couple things. It's a creative idea but this deck, if this were chemistry, is like a very unstable reaction like nitro glycerin or something. The very things that you're trying to win with I feel like are gonna' be the death of you. Your mana base is so fragile and you're trying to win with Depths so you incorporate Crop Rotation, and you're also trying to run Chalices, but Chalice 1 counters crop so now you're stuck in a situation where you might want to chalice 1 but your stuck with crop in your hand and a crappy mana base trying to work your way out. Some of the other things that would bother me is that Chalice 2 counters 8 cards in your deck, and the general horrible color matching with double black and double green. You do run GSZ but that might be a little nerve racking, if you get spell pierced you might straight up lose the game if you can't produce the mana you need. All I'm saying is I think you might be relying way too much on one card to make your deck even work.

Suggestions, I really think you need Mox Diamond and Life from the Loam for mana fixing and being able to pull off the maneuvers you're trying to do. I also think you just need to do Chalice or crop rotation not both, pick your poison. My 2-cents
    May your suffering equal your weakness
    --Ihsan's Shade

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by uncletiggy View Post
    When I played a similar list living wish worked wonders glueing it all together trimming from the knight and hex mage slots. Chalice leaves you with some wonky hands that make life frustrating. Its worth noting that one to two cavern of souls on shaman let you deploy deathrites and hexmage with no fear of your own chalice or counter magic.
    The issue with replacing hexmages with living wish is that living wish is slow, and the deck wants to be fast. The beat down plan is mainly a last resort. I do agree cavern would be nice but i wouldn't want to weaken the mana base.

Quote Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
    Turn the 4 Vampire Hexmages into something else would be the first move I think. Yes, great combo with Dark Depths and UToY but also requires 2 black to cast in a list that just doesn't want that kind of commitment. Tarmogoyf, Abrupt Decay, Cabal Therapy?
    yeah I've considered them. cabal therapy is defiantly out of the question. The deck doesn't really want to add any more 1 mana spells because it prefers chalice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical_Jackass View Post
    OMG teh name of the deck reflects the card choices in it!!zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Okay, a couple things. It's a creative idea but this deck, if this were chemistry, is like a very unstable reaction like nitro glycerin or something. The very things that you're trying to win with I feel like are gonna' be the death of you. Your mana base is so fragile and you're trying to win with Depths so you incorporate Crop Rotation, and you're also trying to run Chalices, but Chalice 1 counters crop so now you're stuck in a situation where you might want to chalice 1 but your stuck with crop in your hand and a crappy mana base trying to work your way out. Some of the other things that would bother me is that Chalice 2 counters 8 cards in your deck, and the general horrible color matching with double black and double green. You do run GSZ but that might be a little nerve racking, if you get spell pierced you might straight up lose the game if you can't produce the mana you need. All I'm saying is I think you might be relying way too much on one card to make your deck even work.

Suggestions, I really think you need Mox Diamond and Life from the Loam for mana fixing and being able to pull off the maneuvers you're trying to do. I also think you just need to do Chalice or crop rotation not both, pick your poison. My 2-cents
    having crop rotation in hand with a chalice out has not proven to be an issue. Also in the event that opponent destroys chalice, you can use crop to steal a game. Crop rotation is so important i can't really see playing without it.

I could see playing mox diamond useful but how many? Using loam complicates things by flipping natural order or natural order targets into grave. I think the deck can actually make good use of chalice in its place. Although crucible can be destroyed loam gets removed a lot from grave too.

what do you suggest cutting to make room for moxes? lands? maybe 2 fetches?

also, has anyone tried shuffling the deck up or drawing practice hands?
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

Jan 2011
    York

I can say I have not tested it specifically but when I was heavily developing it about a year ago I ended up concluding that the no package was fragile and offered up a lot of poor unfixable draws and cut it in place of lotv and helm. Youd be surprised how many turn one scoops you get from an angry opponent staring at a turn one leyline and chalice. Ill post the list when I get home for my "voidmage" deck if you're interested. The abundance of art/ enchantments gave people problems with so many dead removal cards game one and so few relevant cards to bring in game two.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

I can say I have not tested it specifically but when I was heavily developing it about a year ago I ended up concluding that the no package was fragile and offered up a lot of poor unfixable draws and cut it in place of lotv and helm. Youd be surprised how many turn one scoops you get from an angry opponent staring at a turn one leyline and chalice. Ill post the list when I get home for my "voidmage" deck if you're interested. The abundance of art/ enchantments gave people problems with so many dead removal cards game one and so few relevant cards to bring in game two.
    ya im not sure how chalice and leyline really go hand in hand...?

although i do find sometimes i get clunky hands because of no i think it ultimately serves its purpose cause of the versatility... I'm running progen, ruric, terrastadon, and elderwurm.

id still be interested in seeing your list tho and maybe how your deck evolved.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

Jan 2011
    York

They dont go hand in hand but most decks have trouble with one or the other. Reanimator being the only thing that really shits its pants sitting across from both on turn one.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

They dont go hand in hand but most decks have trouble with one or the other. Reanimator being the only thing that really shits its pants sitting across from both on turn one.
    yeah but then u have to run 4 helms cause the deck doesn't tutor artifacts... idk id have to see ur list. 4x helm 4x leyline vs 4x no 4 creatures .... i think the no plan results in more victories because it can't be hated against... and S&T can hurt itself with me having beefy creatures too.

I've cut scryb ranger and witness for 2 mox diamonds. I also cut something else and have crucible in the deck. Not really liking the crucible i haven't drawn it much but it seems like it should be a GSZ target instead.

I've tested quite a bit today and being able to fall back on NO really helps when dark depths isn't an option due to swords / karakas.

contrary to what you would think from looking at the list I am not suffering from mana issues.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

Jan 2011
    York

One thing from my testing that may help you is the inclusion of scroll rack. without brainstorm I found myself wanting a way to put stranded fatties back in the deck and dig for answers.

One thing from my testing that may help you is the inclusion of scroll rack. without brainstorm I found myself wanting a way to put stranded fatties back in the deck and dig for answers.
    This is a wonderful idea in a list with 4 Green Sun's Zenith, Chalice of the Void and fetchlands. Not sure if it will be too clunky but it's a great idea. The card I always want in this type of list is Brainstorm and it just won't fit as a splash.

Jan 2011
    York

Its actually really sweet with life from the loam but the scroll is an absolute nightmare to resolve on cockatrice...

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

you answered a question I had but forgot to ask on here. I was getting frustrated with ending up with 1-2 fatties in my hand that were kinda pointless. This is a really amazing idea.

It also makes it so you cannot lose to effects that attempt to deck you as long as you have at least 1 card in your hand. JTMS, painter, & helm combo. Even though you need a decent board position sometimes all you need is 1 more attack.

With this inclusion, there has to be ways to fill your hand to really abuse scroll rack. Any suggestions? Land tax is probably out of the question since it cost 1 and the current manabase couldn't support it. Miracles work well with it and so might dark confidant. Loam like you mentioned has potential, but i'd prefer to avoid relying on the grave.

I'd probably also run 1 Courser of Kruphix to compliment scroll rack and because its just good in general.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

Jan 2011
    York

Confidant is a major no go with all the fatties. Aside from loam I never found anything viable in junk colors for a brief stint I cut white for red for other reasons and the only janky idea I have in red is reforge the soul but that is entirely too cute im sure.

My final takaways from the last list I had were the deck earned a lot of free wins from playing main deck sideboard cards. Plan a was always helm leyline with hiding the depths package as much as possible. The list was very heavey on artifact control with tangle wires and ensaring bridges. Game two most opponent who hadnt seen the depths sided out removal for art/enchantment hate and needle effects which left the NO plan open to run wild on an opponent who unkowingly missboarded vs the transformational plan. Ultimatly i abandoned the deck because variance is a killer.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Confidant is a major no go with all the fatties. Aside from loam I never found anything viable in junk colors for a brief stint I cut white for red for other reasons and the only janky idea I have in red is reforge the soul but that is entirely too cute im sure.

My final takaways from the last list I had were the deck earned a lot of free wins from playing main deck sideboard cards. Plan a was always helm leyline with hiding the depths package as much as possible. The list was very heavey on artifact control with tangle wires and ensaring bridges. Game two most opponent who hadnt seen the depths sided out removal for art/enchantment hate and needle effects which left the NO plan open to run wild on an opponent who unkowingly missboarded vs the transformational plan. Ultimatly i abandoned the deck because variance is a killer.
    yeah i'd really like to see a list when you get a chance. its very hard to envision because i probably would build it very different than what you've described so far.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

Jan 2011
    York

Ill find a list of what I finally settled on but its going to be after the NO package got the ax. All other versions died when a beer decided my motherboard and hard drive were thirsty.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Did some decent play testing last night. here are the results. the deck needs bojuka bog in sideboard and needs to find a way to fit in courser of kruphix. Considering 5-2-1 losing to dragon stompy with 8 moon effects and all t1-t2 and my other loss was to pretty bad play decisions and opening hand keeps to landstill it faired pretty well. The sideboard could use a lot of work. I'd also like to find a way to include a 2 cmc target for gsz. not sure that tarmogoyf is correct.

here is the list i tested with. slightly diff from OP

1 Qasali Pridemage
    4 Natural Order
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    3 Crop Rotation
    2 Sylvan Library
    3 Vampire Hexmage
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Scroll Rack

1 Elderscale Wurm
    1 Progenitus
    1 Terastodon

2 Mox Diamond

4 Windswept Heath
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Forest
    3 Dark Depths
    2 Dryad Arbor
    1 Scrubland
    3 Thespian's Stage
    1 Bayou
    1 Wasteland
    1 Sejiri Steppe
    1 Savannah
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

SB: 3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    SB: 3 Abrupt Decay
    SB: 4 Thoughtseize
    SB: 3 Rest in Peace

MUD - 2-0

G1: dont know what he's playing, until its too late. h lands kuldotha, i have to tutor for qasali to kill his kultotha. he lands back to back lodestones, and i miss a land drop and cant tutor for KOTR.

side in some +4 thought seizes -4 chalices + reclamation

G2: T1 mox, t2 kotr. he drops wurmcoil. t3 thoughtseize. he attacks, i kotr into a depths, make my token, block, and swing in 2 turns.

G3: mox bayou, t1 hexmage, topdeck Dark depths, make token t3, win T3

ANT - 2-0

G1: t1 gsz for dryad, t2 he probes me and duresses a sylvan library. T2 i see that hes got volcanic island and cast a duress so i put him on ant, which is correct. I top deck a natural order, and crop rotate into an ancient tomb. cast natural order, into ruric. he concedes.

thalia’s thought seizes go in from SB

t1 chalice, t2 thalia, he concedes with a bunch of 1 cmc in hand

Landstill - 0-2

G1: he lands standstill but i think i’ll draw out of it into a depths, but i don’t. 10 turns later i die to mishras.

G2: i keep hand with no colored mana but land t1 chalice. i end up not drawing any colored lands for 6 turns…

LANDS - 2-0

G1: t1 gsz he punishing fires. starts his loam engine with exploration and mana bond. i think he misplays and does tap me down, so i have access to 4 mana and NO into ruric. game over!

G2: t1 he exploratoions, t1 i mox diamond; t2 he play port, depths, loam. i drop a land and wait till dot to crop rotate into thespians stage and copy his depths. Rouge factor victory.

JUND: - 2-0

G1 he gets a slow start, i turn out a t4 marit lage token. even if he had a fast start it wouldn't have changed things

G2 follows in a similar fashion. Jund is pretty much a bye for dark depths combo.

Painter - 1-1-1
    G1 : t1 blood moon followed up by t3 activation. sees my progenitus and we go to g2 after the draw.

G2: t1 chalice on 1, he t1 blood moons. no one plays anything for several turns, until he lands jaya and i scoop.

G3 t1 thoughtseize, take a pyro. t2 i fetch up a basic. t3 i stick a kotr, and he plays bridge. He establishes the combo but i abrupt decay. KOTR helps me stick a chalice at 3, and i tutor into dark depths combo and sweep it.

Turbo fog 2-0

chalice out his constant mists and win with Dark depths

g2 aburpt decay his isochron scepter and take the game

Dragon stompy - 0-2

t1 moon followed by magus magus. hatebear beatdown

g2: he goblin settlers my only forest, while im under blood moon. phyrexian revokers, my kotr, and eventually gets my mox diamond. im completely locked out of colored mana and scoop.

1 game vs miracles: he wins because i stack my deck incorrectly with scroll rack while he has a jace out. it cost me the game because he bottoms my thespian stage for the combo. chalice on1 keeps him off of lots of spells.

Here are some random matches i tested 4-2 on the whole group. 1 critical play mistake led to a match loss, and another led to a game loss. It's possible simply adding 1 goyf to either block or aggro can steal games fairly quickly.

Omni 2-0

G1: he show and tells omni with nothing to cast, i make token and swing on my turn.

G2, i stick an early quasi pridemage and beat down. he eventually show’s omni into play,

high tide 2-1

g1 he starts combing and i concede cause i dont care to see if he wiffs. he says he would have in in a tournament i would have had him play it out

g2, stick a chalice on one and walk to victory with dark depths

g3, thoughtseize a spiral, t2 kotr, t3 hexmage but he forces (which i expected). T4 crop rotate into combo, and stick a chalice. make token EOT and he dies.

RDW 2-0

G1 t3 chalice on 1, hexmage depths t4 and win. he's kinda got a slow start, but i play cautiously cause i see volcanic island.
    G2 Early chalice on 1 follow up by natural order into ruric t3 seals the game.

RUG 1-2

G1 i lose this cause i make a play error. i have chalice on 1, he abrupt decays and i dont fetch in response. he stifles my fetch and i dont have green mana. i was holding crop rotation and had a stage in play. crop rotation would have won me that one. he closes it out with goyf

g2: early chalice on 1 keeps him off of stifle. t2 KOTR fends off goyfs and tutors depths FTW.

G3: hes on the play so i end up playing into a daze to try and keep up. we go back and forth wasteland stifle shenanigans with no threats out. I end up burning through my black sources so i cant cast hexmage. I end up drawing natural order but he has the force and closes it out with Goyf.

definitely should have won the match cause of g1 player error. it was cause i was playing fast and not thinking before agreeing to the plays. since it was not tournament i was very off guard.

MUD 2-1

G1: t2 no into progenitus, wins me the game
    G2: he has early blight steel and im a turn slow on making my depths token
    G3: t3 token steals the game as he casts kuldotha.

Enchantress - 0-2 wiff.

G1: i natural order into progenitus because I'm holding the terrastadon i want. terrastadon wins me the game because he's got 2 lands with wild growths. hit both lands, and 1 of my own wins…just didn't work out like htat. he elephant grasses my progenitus and helm combo’s me out.

G2 I player error again and it costs me the game. he casts suppression field with an elephant grass out. I have hexmage depths on board. in response i make my token even though i take note he probably has the oblivion ring with the 3 mana remaining from serra’s sanctum. had i of waited that turn and instead abrupt decay’s the elephant grass then made my token the following turn at end of turn i would have got it. he ends up locking me out and sigil of empty throne after a ton of turns…
    Last edited by apple713; 11-20-2014 at 06:10 PM.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

Scryb Ranger.

Allows you to use KotR twice in a turn, which can do some interesting ramping for you at times, also allows you to attack with KotR and then untap him to make himself up to 3 bigger by searching for a wasteland that does another of your lands. Saves Dryad Arbor, Bayou and Savannah from Wasteland. If you were playing Deathrite Shaman would be additional tricks there too. Blocks Insectile Aberration and Vendilion Clique until they draw removal.

It's probably worth making the Vampire Hexmages into Deathrite Shamans. Make the Sylvan Library's Scryb Rangers. You have 4 GSZ and 4 Natural Order and neither of those cards plays off of either Vampire Hexmage or Sylvan Library. Both of them play off of DRS and Scryb Ranger.

Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth not necessary any more. Not sure if you need land in those spots with 22 aside from depths. Maybe a City of Traitors and the third Mox Diamond?

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
    Scryb Ranger.

Allows you to use KotR twice in a turn, which can do some interesting ramping for you at times, also allows you to attack with KotR and then untap him to make himself up to 3 bigger by searching for a wasteland that does another of your lands. Saves Dryad Arbor, Bayou and Savannah from Wasteland. If you were playing Deathrite Shaman would be additional tricks there too. Blocks Insectile Aberration and Vendilion Clique until they draw removal.

It's probably worth making the Vampire Hexmages into Deathrite Shamans. Make the Sylvan Library's Scryb Rangers. You have 4 GSZ and 4 Natural Order and neither of those cards plays off of either Vampire Hexmage or Sylvan Library. Both of them play off of DRS and Scryb Ranger.
    I don't know if i can justify dropping the hexmages, they are just too valuable. i did end up cutting 1, but i do see that DRS and Scryb play fairly well with gsz and NO. issue with adding more DRS is that its CMC 1 so drawing them sux if i have a chalice out. also, its very rare that you want to gsz into a DRS especially since kotr feeds off of grave.

so how many rangers do you suggest? I had him in the deck originally and didn't like him all that much, but didn't really test a whole lot with him. i found that i didn't want to ever waste a GSZ for him really. I'll have to test with him again. There have been some other changes i've made that may make him more appealing since the last time i used it.

EDIT*** to address Urborg, its a really good card as a 2 of and i've been thinking to up it to 3 because i have never been disappointed to see it and find myself tutoring for it occasionally. Since that land count is actually very low in regards to searchable lands, it provides a way to use fetch lands after i've already searched up my 4 colored mana producing lands. its possible adding more bayous is appropriate but its very early in testing for me to have drawn conclusions about that. I do know that sometimes i wish i had another forest land to search for. but i am also very glad when i draw urborgs.

*** i also added more matches in my previous post.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    I don't know if i can justify dropping the hexmages, they are just too valuable. i did end up cutting 1, but i do see that DRS and Scryb play fairly well with gsz and NO. issue with adding more DRS is that its CMC 1 so drawing them sux if i have a chalice out. also, its very rare that you want to gsz into a DRS especially since kotr feeds off of grave.

so how many rangers do you suggest? I had him in the deck originally and didn't like him all that much, but didn't really test a whole lot with him. i found that i didn't want to ever waste a GSZ for him really. I'll have to test with him again. There have been some other changes i've made that may make him more appealing since the last time i used it.

*** i also added more matches in my previous post.
    I'm thinking 2 Scryb Rangers if you put in the Deathrites and 1 if not. Maybe a 2nd in the SB if you choose not to put in the Deathrites. DRS is probably the 2nd or 3rd best critter in the meta right now. They do so much for so little and if you're playing GSZ you can bring them in even around a Chalice@1.

The other creature I really like as a 1-of right now is Dosan the Falling Leaf. Lots of people will not counter GSZ at 3 because what's the worst thing that could happen at that value? Then Dosan lands and they can't do anything else and you have a turn to work unfettered, particularly if you are playing the DRS, Scryb Ranger, KotR troika, which can ramp in some interesting ways at times.

Thread Information