Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ux Stiflenought - the Aftermath

Ux Stiflenought - the Aftermath

Ux Stiflenought Primer

Prelude
    Ux Stiflenought is an adaptation of Dreadstill to the current meta of Delver of Secrets and Snapcaster Mages (namely RUG, BUG, UW and recently UR). The difference between this and traditional builds is the approach in design, that is to commence bug crushing/face smashing for 12 damage by turn 2.

The following cards are notably absent from this build:

• Standstill

• Counterbalance

• Mishra's Factory

• Wasteland

Those are plainly not the superior choices in a hyper-aggressive strategy that involves outracing a meta of faster paced tempo decks. Instead the following cards were chosen:

• Vision Charm

• Worldly (Enlightened) Tutor

• Gitaxian Probe

• Lotus Petal

Reasons to play this build
    Because of its speed, it can end things swiftly. If you're into counterwars, that is where this deck does its best. A streamlined list which is aimed to take control of the stack.

Matchup Analysis
    Favorable: Mid-range aggro, Canadian **** (RUG), Team America (BUG), Stoneblade (UWx), Bant, Storm combo (ANT/TES/High Tide), Goblins, Burn

Variable: Hive Mind, Reanimator, Painter

Unfavorable: MUD, Stax and Counterbalance. All of which happens to be at an all time low.

Card Selection

Updated Decklists
    UW Prototype by death 12.01.11
    3 Misty Rainforest
    2 Flooded Strand
    3 Scalding Tarn
    2 Polluted Delta
    3 Tundra
    2 Island

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Stifle
    4 Vision Charm
    1 Trickbind
    4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Misdirection
    1 Not of This World
    1 Pithing Needle
    3 Enlightened Tutor
    3 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    4 Lotus Petal

(I will add to this post the most recent successful lists once results come in)
    Last edited by death; 12-13-2011 at 03:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSettler View Post
    Jesus H Cardsheet died for your NFC sins.

Re: UG Stiflenought -

if you play G go for tarmogoyf. If you need only Worldy Tutor (from the splash), go white and take Enlightned Tutor.

It gives you, such a better toolbox...

Irken invader

Dec 2008
    Copenhagen, Denmark

.. and you could one-off torper orb.
    I´m a Derek, and Derek's don't run...

Sep 2009
    Bratislava, Slovak republic

Have seen similar builds. One or two torpor orbs, one or four Snapcasters to flashback the stifle...

Seems decent to me.

In response: Snapcaster Mage
    Feb 2011

The deck is obviuosly all-in on Dreadnought. Problem with that is that if they are able to counter/sword/ee/,... they get a 2:1. That is just normal with dreadnought, however the problem is with techs like lotus petal and wordly tutor, they can get a 3 for 1.

Also Wasteland is very important to bring a synergy with Stifle AND especially because you cannot beat Maze of Ith.

Irken invader

Dec 2008
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by Offler View Post
    Have seen similar builds. One or two torpor orbs, one or four Snapcasters to flashback the stifle...

Seems decent to me.
    I think it's orbs OR snapcaster. The dis-synergy is just to great to play both.
    I´m a Derek, and Derek's don't run...

I would play 2/3 Island and 3/2 trop ( you just need G once, maybe twice in the game, and against smallpox/sinkhole + waste your are not in so good spot with so many non-basic )

I also guess some elvish spirit guide maybe ?

You can play 2/3 Wasteland Btw because Dreadnought cost 1.

Well nothing more to say :)

Ux Stiflenought - the Aftermath

A white splash seems a more practical idea. I especially like the E. Tutor for Lotus Petal play better than going for a 3:1 ESG split. Pithing Needle and Torpor Orb are accessible post-board, also Ethersworn Canonist. Although a green splash is still better if you are expecting a lot of Counterbalance in your meta.
    As for Goyf, he is nothing more than a wall at the moment so I don’t feel the need for him. Goyf lacks evasion and often not enough to deal with an opposing Goyf plus flyer or KotR. Nothing beats a good ol’ fashioned crashing in for 12. Goyfs merely clutter the list, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by catmint View Post
    The deck is obviuosly all-in on Dreadnought. Problem with that is that if they are able to counter/sword/ee/,... they get a 2:1. That is just normal with dreadnought, however the problem is with techs like lotus petal and wordly tutor, they can get a 3 for 1.

Also Wasteland is very important to bring a synergy with Stifle AND especially because you cannot beat Maze of Ith.
    Reason why I cut the chaff for more protection, enabler and tutor. With maindeck Vision Charms, you have extra Stifles available to seal your win. Initially I had access to 3 Not of This World, 2 coming from the sideboard. Now there's Pithing Needle which is great with E. tutor.

Re: Ux Stiflenought - the Aftermath

I also play with Dreadnought, and my biggest worry or pain to deal with is Split Second. Krosan Grip comes in against almost anyone playing green, and you don't have any say about the nought dying. The second is Extirpate. One nought in the yard, and then you have none. True, many more people are playing Surgical Extraction, but I thought I'd play devil's advocate and just ask what you intend to do in the event that you have no critters.

my own version. it totally loses to Extirpate and Krosan Grips. For anything else, there's a situational answear.

4 Vision Charm it saves your PD so many times.. it's just another 1cc hard-counter like Flusterstorm or Dispel
    3 Stifle
    1 Trickbind to have your opponent realistically fear that you can splitsecond your PD in game makes him counter your PD in the first place so that gets back to a 1-1 card loss

4 Phyrexian Dreadnought

2 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    3 Sensei's Divining Top
    2 Reconstruction

4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    2 Dispel
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Misdirection

4 Wasteland
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Misty Rainforest
    7 Island

12 0cc (Fow, Daze, Gitaxian Probe)
    27 1cc
    2 2cc Trickbind

the weakest card of the deck: Ponder.
    Last edited by Poron; 11-16-2011 at 04:03 AM.

They see me puntin'
    May 2010
    Finland

Renegade Doppelganger could be cool.

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

I'd play 3-4 Delver of Secrets just to have a backup win con. Yes, win con. I'm currently testing them in my UBR Nought and I won various games on the back of turn 1 Delver, turn 2 flip, Stifle+Waste package, counters. Is really that good.
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

you are indeed right, the secondary plan Spellskite + Vendilion Clique is there exactly for that purpose... with Delver of Secrets and may be 2xJace, the mind Sculptor it might become very solid

and, overall, still mono U

Quote Originally Posted by dsck View Post
    Renegade Doppelganger could be cool.
    this, instead is very weak. because we already have plenty way to play/protect the Phyrexian Dreadnought, the only problem in the deck is actually to get 1 copy of it.

Once we have a PD in hand, we have way better other cards to combo with it than Renegade Doppelganger...

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

In a version I'm playing around with, Red is added for Blood Moon/Lavamang. Moon just rapes the format, and at worst the deck is only semi locking itself with a moon. 18 land/4 petal just feels iffy, and lots of times ponders and brainstorms don't even find the extra land. The whole point wtih splashing red was for Blood Moon, and with its color comes non-combat win conditions (grim) and extra counterspells to protect the main threats via Blasts. Fire/Ice is great utility, rarely irrelevant or a dead draw. It's far from tuned, but shows promise outside of a tempo oriented scene. Wasteland is just so good with Stifle, and works towards stalling them so you have time to ride a Delver or Naught to victory. It's often the plan to just stifle/WL in the early turns, land a Moon, then draw-go til a beatstick gets there. But explosive hands like turn 1 Moon or Stifle/Naught with Force backup also come about and should be exploited.

4 Naught
    4 Stifle
    1 Trickbind
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Delver
    2 Fire/Ice
    3 Flusterstorm
    4 Force
    4 Vision Charm
    3 Blood Moon
    4 Petal
    3 Grim Lavamancer

3 island
    1 mountain
    2 volc
    4 waste
    8 fetch

A deck similar to this (more aggressive version of Dreadstill) existed for sometime now.

Here are two sample builds...

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...ed-Dreadnought

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...k-DreadStalker

It played the same pieces as above, but also played Tombstalker because that card too synergizes with cards like Vision Charm.

I think that would be a worthwhile route to explore as well. Tombstalker does a great job of shutting down aggro and serving as an agressive beatstick.

I think the former route would be very strong in this aggressive meta since it provides 12 blocks to fast aggro, Goyf, Tombstalker and Dreadnought.

If my bologna had a first name it would be spelled O-B-A-M-A
    Mar 2010
    Hobart, Indiana

I've been messing around with a build on MTGO. Testing has been minimal so far, but I plan on doing much more over the weekend. I like the Torpor Orb idea to shut off all those SFM's and Snappys running around, not to mention V Clique.

I haven't really missed the charm effects, spend early turns disrupting their removal or save counters to protect your dude much like New Horizons did in the past.

Here is my list. (Sorry no card links atm)

Lands (20)
    4 Wasteland
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Island
    4 Swamp
    3 Underground Sea
    1 Academy Ruins

Creatures (10)
    4 Phyrexian Dreadnough
    4 Dark Confidant
    2 Hunted Horror

Artifact (4)
    4 Torpor Orb

Sorcery (11)
    4 Ponder
    4 Thoughtseize
    3 Hymn to Tourach

Instants (15)
    4 Stifle
    4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Spell Snare (Maybe this should be Spell Pierce?)

Sideboard (15) - still needs work imo
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Go for the Throat
    2 Surgical Extraction
    3 Energy Flux
    2 Spell Pierce
    1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. Matthew 7:13-14 NIV

-Member of Clan Magic Eternal-

-Find me on MTGO (NarrowGate) -

M1 - played turn 1 Dreadnought.
    M2 - same. I have Not of This World for his Ancient Grudge and proceed to cast a second Dreadnought on turn 2.

I have Pithing Needle main now instead of the singleton Torpor Orb. I remember winning a single game with Orb, but I wouldn't have lost more games if it was a needle tbh.

Thread Information