Tranquil Thicket
    Tropical Island
    Underground Sea
    Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    Verdant Catacombs
    Volrath's Stronghold
    Watery Grave
    Woodland Cemetery

Yup, it's Dredge(-ish). This is adapted from my earlier attempt at a Dredge EDH deck, led by Damia (and Vorosh before that). That deck was more of a control deck that lived out of its graveyard, but its big weaknesses were that 1) it was very slow, 2) could have trouble generating and keeping board presence, and 3) Damia herself was difficult to keep in play for any length of time. Sidisi solves all three of those problems. Interestingly, her ability only triggers on zone changes, so you don't really need to keep a large graveyard; it's fine to shuffle your graveyard back in periodically, giving you some protection from graveyard hate despite being a graveyard deck.

There are two main paths to victory for this deck, hinging on many of the same cards. You can either mill yourself to amass a zombie horde and beat down, or you can use the mill cards to target other players (especially useful against control/pillowfort decks that may be difficult to attack). Occasionally these things happen all in the same turn, usually by way of Altar of Dementia into Living Death.

This deck is pretty fun. Sidisi is definitely an extremely powerful, though not Tier One, general.
    Last edited by Aggro_zombies; 10-16-2015 at 10:56 PM.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Re: [EDH] Sidisi, Brood Tyrant

I expect my failed Skullbriar deck will morph into something a lot like this, unless I determine a great way to give it more reach (but I kind of just want to have it not be that deck anymore)

Are the lesser Delve assisters like Sultai Ascendency and Nyx Weaver just not even playable things? The latter seems like it does a lot of things the deck might want to do; it dumps cards in the bucket for upkeep Zombies and can Regrowth a card at Instant speed - maybe it's just redundant though?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

I thought about them. The problem with most is that they're either not creatures or they don't have great stats. The Spider, for example, would be much more interesting at two mana or as a 2/4 or maybe 3/3. As it stands, though, I don't know which three-drop it would replace (and I want it to replace a three-drop to keep my Pod curve intact).

I could maybe see putting in something like Mindshrieker, though. And I would definitely like to get Shambling Shell into the list.

EDIT: Actually, I wonder if Duskmantle Guildmage wouldn't be too bad. The mill ability is kind of pricey but a bit more palatable when it also produces a zombie, and the life loss ability is pure gas.
    Last edited by Aggro_zombies; 11-26-2014 at 12:52 AM.

I haven't updated this thread in a while, though I've continued to make changes to the decklist.

The biggest addition has turned out to be Gravecrawler, which has been insane. It turns out that when you general makes zombies and you want to sacrifice creatures for fun and profit, Gravecrawler is just the best option for that. I've considered both Bloodghast and Bloodsoaked Champion, but I don't think either of those are anywhere near as good as Gravecrawler - Champion is closer, though, since I can get it back multiple times in the same turn.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    I haven't updated this thread in a while, though I've continued to make changes to the decklist.

The biggest addition has turned out to be Gravecrawler, which has been insane. It turns out that when you general makes zombies and you want to sacrifice creatures for fun and profit, Gravecrawler is just the best option for that. I've considered both Bloodghast and Bloodsoaked Champion, but I don't think either of those are anywhere near as good as Gravecrawler - Champion is closer, though, since I can get it back multiple times in the same turn.
    Apologies if it's in your tappedout list (blocked here at work)...but what about Reassembling Skeleton? It's a Bloodsoaked Champion without the raid that can chump block. I guess you lose out on 1 point of power, but is that relevant in your sacrifice fodder?

Reassembling Skeleton could be interesting. Power only matters for Altar of Dementia, and it's at a better mana cost for Pod. I could see swapping it in for Duskmantle Guildmage, which has been thoroughly underwhelming.

The recently-spoiled Zombie Sidisi seems like a pretty good upgrade for the Ghoulcaller Gisa slot. Gisa was never quite as good as I wanted her to be, but I could always use more tutors and defensive bodies (and zombies, for Gravecrawler).

I'm also interested in adding more ways to draw cards. Dig Through Time seems good because of how deep it digs, but the spell slots are very tight. I could see dropping Attrition for it, but I'd want to swap Attrition for another board control spell. Also, I want to get Rise of the Dark Realms in here somehow.

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

Two thoughts: What about Opposition and Champion of Stray Souls? Both look extremely strong in here.

A wuick thought about the manabase. You're running Sakura-Tribe Elder, Wood Elves and Solemn Simulacrum; did you consider the other ramp creatures? I end up reaching for the 4 3cc creatures in a deck that either cards about colored permanents (Rith, the Awakener or the 4 3cc accelerants, Sakura Tribe Elder, and the other two sac-to-get-lands creatures in a deck that cares about creatures in the graveyard (Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord):
    Farhaven Elf
    Yavimaya Granger
    Yavimaya Dryad
    Diligent Farmhand
    Dawntreader Elk?
    InfoNinjas

Opposition would allow me to play a stronger control game than I can currently play, which would be nice, but I think it also takes the list in a very different direction. Under those conditions I'd want more removal, more sweepers, and probably more big guys with EtB effects than what I have now. That deck would probably cut Birthing Pod (since your curve would end up really skewed towards 5cc+ monsters) and be more of a traditional reanimator build. It's probably pretty good.

In this list, though, I'd rather tap my guys to Phenax to mill myself than tap them to Opposition. I suppose I could run Prophet and do both but I don't think this deck gets tons of mileage out of Prophet.

Champion seems slow.

I've considered other ramp guys. Elk is actually the closest to making the deck because the two-mana slot has more flexibility than the three-mana slot despite the 3cc ramp guys being generally better. Elk is kinda weak, though, so I've passed on it for now. I'm holding out hope for a good 2cc ramp dork in Return to Zendikar block.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Mana Severance seems like it could be good once you've hit a time you just want to be dredging creatures.

Altar of Dementia
    Mesmeric Orb
    Birthing Pod

Birds of Paradise
    Deathrite Shaman
    Essence Warden
    Gravecrawler
    Viscera Seer
    Blood Artist
    Fauna Shaman
    Hermit Druid
    Phantasmal Image
    Reassembling Skeleton
    Riftsweeper
    Sakura-Tribe Elder
    Scavenging Ooze
    Death Baron
    Eternal Witness
    Grim Haruspex
    Kira, Great Glass-Spinner
    Nissa, Vastwood Seer
    Reclamation Sage
    Undercity Informer
    Wood Elves
    Clever Impersonator
    Entomber Exarch
    Falkenrath Noble
    Glen Elendra Archmage
    Solemn Simulacrum
    Wickerbough Elder
    Wonder
    Corpse Connoisseur
    Havengul Lich
    Mulldrifter
    Phenax, God of Deception
    Shriekmaw
    Sidisi, Undead Vizier
    Sultai Soothsayer
    Brutalizer Exarch
    Grave Titan
    Harvester of Souls
    Mikaeus, the Unhallowed
    Rune-Scarred Demon
    Dryad Arbor

Tortured Existence
    Oversold Cemetery
    Survival of the Fittest
    Attrition
    Pernicious Deed

Entomb
    Vampiric Tutor
    Intuition

Demonic Tutor
    Diabolic Intent
    Gaea's Blessing
    Life from the Loam
    Cultivate
    Kodama's Reach
    Toxic Deluge
    Damnation
    Living Death

Barren Moor
    Bayou
    Bazaar of Baghdad
    Bojuka Bog
    Breeding Pool
    Command Tower
    Drowned Catacombs
    Dust Bowl
    6 Forest
    Hinterland Harbor
    3 Island
    Lonely Sandbar
    Misty Rainforest
    Opulent Palace
    Overgrown Tomb
    Polluted Delta
    5 Swamp
    Tranquil Thicket
    Tropical Island
    Underground Sea
    Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    Verdant Catacombs
    Volrath's Stronghold
    Watery Grave
    Woodland Cemetery

That's 97 cards right now.

Some notable things:

No Sol Ring: The local players generally agree that Sol Ring's continued legality in the format is probably one of the biggest mistakes the Rules Committee is making, so we've all been either cutting it from our decks or refusing to cast it until after turn four to prevent the sort of dumb early-game snowballing that card allows.

Creature to Non-creature Ratio: The remaining two slots must be creatures. I'm trying to maintain a high creature count so that I can use Zombies to make more Zombies with Phenax (one of the best cards in this build) or Altar/Undercity Informer. With both Blood Artist and Falkenrath Noble in this deck, simply recycling Zombies can easily kill people. I kind of want to add Diregraf Captain for that same reason.

Cutting Big Guys: I'm finding that the games I win are the games where I go wide, so I've mostly cut the guys that are just big and dumb for things that support dude spam.

I've updated the deck a little bit with BFZ out - mostly involved "upgrading" Blood Artist to Zulaport Cutthroat and adding Greenwarden of Murasa (latest list in OP).

Right now, I'm considering a few changes, mostly revolving around giving this deck some light stack control. The ideas I'm floating are:

- Mesmeric Orb, + Mana Drain
    - Falkenrath Noble, + Counterspell
    - ???, + Dissipate
    - ???, + Mystic Snake / Voidslime / Faerie Trickery / Muddle the Mixture

The goal is to have enough counters to reasonably keep myself from getting blown out by mass exile/extraction effects but not so much as to be oppressive. I currently have Glen Elendra Archmage and sort of Kira to protect me from some of that but I'd like to have 5-7 counters in the deck. Mana Drain and Counterspell seems like the most solid pair to start with, and Dissolve's exile clause seems like a reasonable insurance policy. Past that, I'd want 1-2 of the other cards I've listed. Snake is a guy, to keep my creature count up, Voidslime has added utility, Trickery is Dissolve #2, and Muddle hits most things I care about while also tutoring for stuff (Survival, Demonic, Altar, Riftsweeper, Loam being notables). I'm just not sure what to cut for the last 2-3 slots. They can all be creatures if Mystic Snake is one of the additions, since I don't want to drop below 40 creatures. Otherwise, one will have to squeeze into a spell slot.

Opinions?

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    Opinions?
    The first thing I'd take a good long look at is Riftsweeper. Your meta is probably different than mine, but I think I've had that card actually do something for me 1 out of 10 times or less. It takes a lot of doing to actually make it work - not only does something relevant need to be exiled, but then you have to find the Riftsweeper AND some sort of way to get the thing you bring back out of your deck again.

Thread Information