Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Grixis Control / Thieves

Jun 2014
    Switzerland

Re: [DECK] Grixis Control / Thieves

Hi I'm playing in a tournament tommorow and will pilot this deck again, cause i still think that it is a verry viable option.
    I'm not yet set on the exact list, but i would like to mention a neat little card that i didn't see in any other list yet.

Unearth

Unearth is a pretty usefull card in our deck in the way that it gets back ALL our creatures. Snapcaster Mage? check! Young Pyromancer? check! Baleful Strix and True-Name Nemesis? DoubleCheck!
    And it doesn't even end there. If it's sitting useless in your hand you can cycle it and get a new card and with Snapcaster in your library it waits in your graveyard for later use or delving.
    The Most insane play you can manufacture? (And it's not even that difficult cause of the rate we browse through our library.)

Unearth return Snapcaster, target the unearth with the Trigger and get back another creature.
    I managed to do it with Snapcaster as the start and unearthing True Name with it. Not to shabby.

So, searching for a little edge in your deck? You may try unearth ;)

Kind Regards

Me

Quote Originally Posted by Lightless View Post
    Hi I'm playing in a tournament tommorow and will pilot this deck again, cause i still think that it is a verry viable option.
    I'm not yet set on the exact list, but i would like to mention a neat little card that i didn't see in any other list yet.

Unearth

Unearth is a pretty usefull card in our deck in the way that it gets back ALL our creatures. Snapcaster Mage? check! Young Pyromancer? check! Baleful Strix and True-Name Nemesis? DoubleCheck!
    And it doesn't even end there. If it's sitting useless in your hand you can cycle it and get a new card and with Snapcaster in your library it waits in your graveyard for later use or delving.
    The Most insane play you can manufacture? (And it's not even that difficult cause of the rate we browse through our library.)

Unearth return Snapcaster, target the unearth with the Trigger and get back another creature.
    I managed to do it with Snapcaster as the start and unearthing True Name with it. Not to shabby.

So, searching for a little edge in your deck? You may try unearth ;)

Kind Regards

Me
    Unearth is sweet. I remember playing it in BUG decks with Snapcaster right after Snapcaster was printed. My only concern is whether or not I really want another graveyard reliant card in the deck. When I played against Leyline of the Void it really shut down way more of the deck than I expected it to, and Deathrite is already pretty good against us. As a one-of, though, I could probably be convinced to try it. Cycling is really nice if it doesn't work out.

Boiyayoiyayoing
    Mar 2012
    SoCal, USA

I love Unearth, but I think you might as well play Reanimate and gain the ability to steal your opponent's dead creature (for minimal lifeloss) or even a Griselbrand if playing against Reanimator.

The versatility makes up for the lifeloss, in my opinion.
    Whack lists currently playing:
    Rector Nic Fit
    Bizarro Stormy
    Rest In Pieces

I played this deck to a 2nd place finish in a 6 round tourney.

Here's my decklist:
    3underground sea
    3volcanic island
    2island
    1mountain
    4scalding tarn
    4polluted delta
    1misty rainforest
    4gitaxian probe
    4dig through time
    4ponder
    4brainstorm
    4force of will
    2counterspell
    3cabal therapy
    4young pyromancer
    2true name nemesis
    2snapcaster mage
    1baleful strix
    4lightning bolt
    2forked bolt
    2diabolic edict

1cabal therapy
    1umezawa's jitte
    1rakdos charm
    1pyroclasm
    1red elemental blast
    1smash to smithereens
    1null rod
    1massacre
    1nihil spellbomb
    1surgical extraction
    1engineered explosives
    1jace, the mind sculptor
    1hydroblast
    2pyroblast

Lost to bug delver in the swiss. And lost to dnt in the finals. The deck is fun to play and can matchup well with most decks. However, fast mana denial decks can be troublesome but workable.

I'm planning to change the jitte to a lavamancer and probably add another strix in the 75.

Edit: updated treasure cruise to dtt ☺
    Last edited by cheerios; 02-01-2015 at 07:41 PM.

Jun 2014
    Switzerland

@cheerios: why did no one stop you when u played 4 banned cards in the Main deck? Treasure Cruise sadly is no more...

Okay, like I posted in my last Post....

I played today in a Legacy Tournament with the Deck, here are the 75 I played.

Updated List from Lausanne 01.02.2015

//PW
    2 Dack Fayden

//Creatures
    1 True-Name Nemesis
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    2 Baleful Strix
    4 Young Pyromancer

//Spells
    4 Force of Will
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Cabal Therapy
    3 Dig Through Time
    1 Unearth
    1 Bonfire of the Damned
    1 Forked Bolt
    1 Murderous Cut
    1 Counterspell
    1 Pyroblast

//Lands
    1 Island
    1 Mountain
    3 Volcanic Island
    3 Underground Sea
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Polluted Delta
    2 Bloodstained Mire

//Sideboard
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Hydroblast
    2 Smash to Smithereens
    1 Massacre
    1 Perish
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Null Rod
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Nihil Spellbomb

It was a 24 player tournament with cut to Top 8. So here are the Results ;)

1st Round VS Death& Taxes 2-0

She did a lot of mistakes, like not Plowsharing in response to Therapy even when I knew she had 2 of them in hand. To mke it short.
    1st Game Dack stole her Vial and left her on 2 lands... Spirit of the Labyrinth + Dack Fayden interaction ripped her Hand apart.
    2nd Game Bonfire of the Damned killed 3 Mother of runes + Flickerwhisp... Yeah Needle does things ;)

2nd Round VS Junk 1-1-1

If I recall the game correctly, a greedy keep on 1 land cost me the 1st Game. The 2nd Game was pretty grindy and I got thr with a TNN, and the 3rd game went overtime with a choke in play.
    3 Bolts are still casteable with 1 Mountain + random drawn Lands.

3rd Round VS Miracles 2-0

I like my miracles matchup and he started on 6 in the first game. Pyromancer and Therapy just shred his hand and 2 Bolts sealed the deal after he "terminus"ed away 4 tokens +2 Pyromancer
    In the 2nd game I had no pressure but he conceded after Dack hit his ultimate.

4th Round VS Jund 1-1-1

This time the 1st game was the grindy one and I love grindy... My lifepad was full with numbers cause of Grove and Punishing fire, but i got there with TNN.
    I just could not resist to play unearth -> Snapcaster -> unearth -> TNN , even if snapcaster + Bolt would have killed him... "Hey, you wanna see an awesome play?"
    2nd Game I let a Bob resolve that shouldn't and payed for it...
    3rd with 2 Minutes on the clock... Snapcaster, 2Bolt, Toxic Deluge, 3 Lands couldn't win, but also couldn'd loose.

5th Round VS Omnitell 2-0

1st game again Pyro + 2 Therapys shred his hand and provided a pretty fast clock
    2nd game he mulled to 5 my counterspells did the rest.

So with 3-0-2 I was in the Top 8... 2nd seat cause there were so many draws...

Top8 VS Omnitell (same opponent as 5th Round) 2-0

And actually same game as Round 5... 1st Game Therapy + Pyro + TNN + counters
    2nd Game mull to 6 but only cantrips, no business.

Top4 VS Elves 2-0

1st Game He hit 4 Mana and played some small dorks, so I was like "okay no Natural Order" i played Pyromancer + Therapy naming something and see "Craterhoof + Ruric Thar + Natural Order" hit the Hoof on the Backswing and produced tons of tokens in the next Turns for the win.

2nd Game He flooded the board with Dorks. I handled his Natural order with a Force and got myself down to 6... I flooded out a little and got to 6 mana... Brainstorm seeing a Bonfire casting that fro X=2 killed everything he got.

Final VS TES 1-2

To make it short, he drew better and I may should have taken another approach to the game. 1st game I shred his hand and provided a decent clock 2nd game I had no clock but some disruption to the point were he was on 1 card in Hand, drew an Ad Nauseam with, Iresponded with Dig Through time and saw... NOTHING.
    The 3rd game i kept cause of Probe and Therapy took his Infernal Tutor, he draws Empty the warrens and puts down 12 Tokens... gg

So 2nd Place which is pretty good for me.

I still like the deck. I think maybe some adjustments might be necessary but I cannot tell what and with what to replace. Maybe if i get some more insight on the new metagame.

Thanks for reading

Kind regards

Me

@lightless. Treasure cruise should be dig through time. I don't know why I typed treasure cruise

Congratulations to you all !

Here is my latest list :

1 [UNH] Mountain
    2 [KTK] Bloodstained Mire
    2 [UNH] Island
    3 [KTK] Polluted Delta
    3 [R] Underground Sea
    3 [R] Volcanic Island
    4 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
    1 [C13] Baleful Strix
    1 [C13] True-Name Nemesis
    2 [ISD] Snapcaster Mage
    4 [M14] Young Pyromancer
    1 [WWK] Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1 [7E] Counterspell
    2 [5E] Pyroblast
    4 [CNS] Brainstorm
    4 [KTK] Dig Through Time
    4 [AL] Force of Will
    4 [M11] Lightning Bolt
    1 [OD] Innocent Blood
    1 [M11] Preordain
    1 [C13] Sudden Demise
    3 [JU] Cabal Therapy
    4 [NPH] Gitaxian Probe
    4 [M12] Ponder
    SB: 1 [IN] Tsabo's Web
    SB: 1 [NPH] Surgical Extraction
    SB: 1 [SHM] Smash to Smithereens
    SB: 1 [4E] Red Elemental Blast
    SB: 1 [6E] Perish
    SB: 1 [WL] Null Rod
    SB: 1 [NE] Massacre
    SB: 1 [ROE] Forked Bolt
    SB: 1 [PLC] Extirpate
    SB: 1 [DS] Echoing Truth
    SB: 1 [4E] Blue Elemental Blast
    SB: 1 [9E] Blood Moon
    SB: 2 [CMD] Flusterstorm
    SB: 1 [5E] Pyroblast

Even though I had some results with it (similar to yours), I'm quite sure it is not the best Dig Through Time deck. So I won't be playing it anymore. Good luck !

EDIT : I was wrong... In the current metagame, the deck is awesome, but has to be tweaked a little.
    Last edited by JosephK; 02-14-2015 at 07:22 AM.
    Jemand musste Joseph K. verleumdet haben, denn ohne dass er etwas Böses getan hätte, wurde er eines Morgens verhaftet.

Do you have a current list? A number have been showing up in dailys

Jun 2014
    Switzerland

It was pretty easy to find on of the current lists on mtggoldfish.com http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/267560#online.

But to be honest I don't like the list. It's all in on countering everything and not putting out pressure, except with young pyromancer.

The main advantage you got with Dig Through Time is that you can play so many 1-offs cause you go through your whole deck in a game. Playing only 1 Dack Fayden is wrong from my point of view. Like I said you want to see as many cards as possible and Dack helps a lot with that. And on the other hand he steals alot of artifact ;). I actualy didn't change alot from my last list I posted in this thread till now, except that i play a Fire // Ice instead of the Forked bolt and trying out other options to replace Bonfire Of The Damned, currently its Fire Covenant. The Tasigur in the sideboard is not a bad option I think, should be tested.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightless View Post
    It was pretty easy to find on of the current lists on mtggoldfish.com http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/267560#online.

But to be honest I don't like the list. It's all in on countering everything and not putting out pressure, except with young pyromancer.

The main advantage you got with Dig Through Time is that you can play so many 1-offs cause you go through your whole deck in a game. Playing only 1 Dack Fayden is wrong from my point of view. Like I said you want to see as many cards as possible and Dack helps a lot with that. And on the other hand he steals alot of artifact ;). I actualy didn't change alot from my last list I posted in this thread till now, except that i play a Fire // Ice instead of the Forked bolt and trying out other options to replace Bonfire Of The Damned, currently its Fire Covenant. The Tasigur in the sideboard is not a bad option I think, should be tested.
    I've been toying around with this deck for a bit recently, since it looks very interesting, and is quite fun to play. I'm surprised that you're such a big fan of dack fayden though. Pretty much every time I've gotten to cast him, he's been underwhelming, since he unfortunately is just straight up card disadvantage, and a 3 mana investment into a planeswalker that doesn't do THAT much for a little while, while also being unable to protect himself seems kinda weak. I'd love to hear what you have to say about him.

Then I've also found that the deck can struggle a bit with certain creatures that are either too big for bolt, like goyf or tasigur, but manageable. Mostly though, a resolved true name nemesis in game 1 seems almost unbeatable in my experience, but maybe I'm missing something?

Mar 2010
    Sweden

I play the deck more or less daily on MODO and enjoy it alot, it's very flexiable both in gameplay and in manner of cardchoices, still tinkering with the list fram day to day.

1. Dack Fayden - the first card I cut from the rough spiler (together with Notion Thief if we go back really far..). Notion, and to a lesser extent Dack should probably be viewed as a result of the Treasure Cruise fused meta we had when the deck surfaced, I don't see either of them having a place anymore. I could not see myself playing Careful Study/Faithless in the deck and even less so a 3mana Careful :/ Which leaves the "steal an artifact" ability, since this is not vintage that should never really come up or matter. I guess the argument to be had is for equipments then..? Peronally I'd rather focus on them not getting their equipments into play if possible.
    He might be the stone cold nuts though, but looks somewhere between *meh* and awful on paper, but I'd love to hear from those of you who've tested him and had positive evaluations.

2. Tasigur - is the main reason I think this deck went from "fringe" to playable/good. I started out on TNN but soon changed once I've got a chance to try out Tasigur. cheap threat and cardengine all in one card, doesn't get much better then that :)

@ TNN problem, the goal is obv not to let him hit the table on the opposing side, if he does you have the choise of innocent blood (if u include it, or deluge perhaps..?) or go wide with pyrod00d. If you're ready esstablished pyro and is ahead that shouldn't be a issue..
    TTP

I played following list on paper tournament a week ago:

10x Fetch
    3x Volcanic Island
    2x Underground Sea
    2x Island
    1x Swamp

4x Young Pyromancer
    2x Tasigur, the Golden Fang
    2x Snapcaster Mage

4x Force of Will
    4x Lightning Bolt
    4x Brainstorm
    4x Ponder
    4x Gitaxian Probe
    3x Cabal Therapy
    3x Dig Through Time
    2x Spell Snare
    2x Spell Pierce
    1x Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1x Ghastly Demise
    1x Innocent Blood
    1x Counterspell

0-2 Burn - Got crushed by drawing 9 lands in both games
    2-0 12-Post / Turbo Eldrazi
    2-1 Tin Fins
    2-0 Dark Maverick

Jace felt pretty useless in these match ups, mostly getting pitched to FoW. The deck relies a lot in permission after landing a hopefully early threat so it's pretty risky trying to tapout on turn 4 or afterwards. The deck has shown up in dailies a lot recently so I think it's really going to be a thing, it makes a good use of both Tasigur and DTT. Also I've done some play testing against BUG, Affinity and D&T.

I loved the 2-2 split between Spell Snare and Spell Pierce. Quite many of the problematic cards are 2cc: Tarmogoyf, Hymn, SFM, Price of Progress, Eidolon of Great Revel, combo enablers such as Infernal Tutor, Shallow Grave/Goryo's Vengeance etc. and it's really nice to have a cheap hardcounter especially on the draw. Cabal Therapy was MVP, especially when combined with YP and/or Gitaxian Probe.

I'm going to drop the Jace at least from the main deck. I've seen some of the decks in dailies play TNN, but i'd rather have instant speed threat like Clique due to nature of the deck. I'm also going to drop the basic swamp, it has lost me one game and won none so far.
    Last edited by Drizzy; 03-01-2015 at 04:49 PM.

Jun 2014
    Switzerland

So I played in a local tournament again.

31 Players, 5 Rounds, cut to top 8... split in the finals

Here's the list I played

//PW
    2 Dack Fayden

//Creatures
    1 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    2 Baleful Strix
    4 Young Pyromancer

//Spells
    4 Force of Will
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Cabal Therapy
    3 Dig Through Time
    1 Unearth
    1 Fire Covenant
    1 Fire // Ice
    1 Murderous Cut
    1 Counterspell
    1 Pyroblast

//Lands
    1 Island
    1 Mountain
    3 Volcanic Island
    3 Underground Sea
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Polluted Delta
    2 Bloodstained Mire

//Sideboard
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Hydroblast
    2 Smash to Smithereens
    1 Massacre
    1 Perish
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Null Rod
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Nihil Spellbomb

1st Round Vs Miracles 2-0

2nd Round Vs Death'n Taxes 2-1

3rd Round Vs Aluren 2-1

There was a raffle with a foil fetch from KTK... I won

4th & 5th Round draw I knew both players and so we all went Top 8

Top 8 Vs Shardless BUG 2-0

Top 4 Vs Aluren (Same Guy) 2-1

Final Vs UWR-Golddigger (Schönegger's list) Draw, we play in the same playgroup and we split the prices. I take home a Bayou + 35€ + a foil geman Windswept Heath

I will add more comments tommorow... pretty tired today

What do you guys think of taking a Vintage like approach and having just pyromancer as the wincon?

Creatures (5)
    4 Young Pyromancer
    1 Snapcaster Mage

Sorceries (16)
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    3 Cabal Therapy
    3 Thoughtseize
    4 Preordain
    2 Innocent Blood

Instants (20)
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Counterspell
    4 Force of Will
    4 Dig Through Time

Planeswalkers (1)
    1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Lands (18)
    3 Underground Sea
    3 Volcanic Island
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Misty Rainforest
    2 Island

Sideboard (15)
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Hydroblast
    1 Thoughtseize
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Innocent Blood
    1 Nihil Spellbomb
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Forked Bolt
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Dack Fayden
    1 Baleful Strix
    1 Smash to Smithereens
    Last edited by Chaam; 03-19-2015 at 04:39 PM.

Dec 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Chaam View Post
    What do you guys think of taking a Vintage like approach and having just pyromancer as the wincon?
    That concept really only works in Vintage because Vintage decks generally play very, very few removal spells.
    UBr Tezzeret
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    I mean, if you're going to play as 61st card, the card should cost over $100 I think.

I wouldn't remove the Snapcaster Mages

Split finals in a 4 round FNM with this list:

Creatures: 9

4x Young Pyromancer
    1x Baleful Strix
    2x True-Name Nemesis

Spells: 32

4x Brainstorm
    4x Ponder
    4x Gitaxian Probe
    4x Force of will
    3x Cabal Therapy
    4x Lightning Bolt
    1x Forked Bolt
    3x Dig Through Time
    2x Spell Pierce
    1x Spell Snare
    1x Counterspell
    1x Terminate

Planeswalkers: 2

1x Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1x Dack Fayden

Lands: 17

3x Flooded Strand
    4x Polluted Delta
    2x Misty Rainforest
    4x Volcanic Island
    3x Underground Sea
    1x Island

Sideboard: 15

2x Pyroblast
    1x Sudden Demise
    1x Forked bolt
    1x Surgical Extraction
    1x Grafdigger's Cage
    1x Nihil Spellbomb
    1x Null Rod
    1x Pithing Needle
    1x Flusterstorm
    1x Submerge
    2x Smash to Smithereens
    2x Duress

1-2 vs Burn: close games, able to race with pyro and countermagic, but burn has inevitability.
    2-0 vs UR Twin: his deck has maindeck bloodmoons and chalices, so that's scary, but the rest of the deck is just bad I think.
    2-0 vs DDFT: pretty slow combo deck, weak to my pyro's and cabal therapies backed up with countermagic.
    2-1 vs Maverick: close games, but if I'm able to stabilize on mana to go over the top of thalia my DTT's and planeswalkers get me there.

2-1 in Top 4 vs Imperial Painter: Game 1 I fight off bloodmoon and some combo pieces but end up losing to topdeck grindstone. Game 2 and 3 he gets bad draws and I'm able to therapy out, counter, or smash to smithereens anything else relevant and win.
    Split finals vs Miracles: I actually like my matchup vs Miracles, but I am scared of counterbalance and I'm tired so we just split the cash.

The list was solid. I like having more than 4 one-mana removal spells to deal with DRS, I like the silver bullets with DTT, I like the plethora of counter magic and a splash of discard vs combo. The Tasigurs were great. One mana threats in a deck like this are insane. He's not great against white decks but hey that's what sideboards are for.

3-1 in LGS, trying out Deathrites:

4x Deathrite Shaman
    3x Young Pyromancer
    2x True-Name Nemesis

4x Force of Will
    4x Brainstorm
    4x Ponder
    4x Gitaxian Probe
    4x Lightning Bolt
    2x Cabal Therapy
    2x Spell Pierce
    2x Spell Snare
    2x Dig Through Time
    1x Terminate

4x Scalding Tarn
    4x Polluted Delta
    2x Bloodstained Mire
    2x Volcanic Island
    2x Underground Sea
    2x Island
    1x Swamp
    1x Tropical Island
    1x Badlands
    1x Wasteland

SB
    2x Pyroblast
    2x Flusterstorm
    2x Perish
    2x Cabal Therapy
    2x Grafdigger's Cage
    2x Surgical Extraction
    1x Smelt
    1x Shattering Spree
    1x Pithing Needle

2-1 ANT
    2-1 Death and Taxes
    0-2 Burn
    2-0 Affinity

So far in 3 tournaments, playing a bit different lists my only losses are against burn and elves. The deck simply refuses to function at all against burn, even though it should be a fair matchup.

I've been playing around with deck a fair bit lately since casting 4+ dtt's (snap->dtt isn't even out of the question with this deck) is just too much fun. However, I feel like the deck is pretty much cold to burn--they're just too fast for a deck that consistently hits themselves for 2 with a cantrip (pre board ofc). To remedy this, I added the countertop package postboard and its been working well enough to at least give me a shot to beat burn g2/3. This is the list I'm at (bit unorthodox as it's more control):

Lands (19)
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Scalding Tarn
    3 Volcanic Island
    4 Underground Sea
    1 Creeping Tar Pit

Creatures (11)
    4 Young Pyromancer
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    3 True-Name Nemesis

Spells(40)
    4 Dig Through Time
    4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Forked Bolt
    3 Force of Will
    3 Cabal Therapy
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    3 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Engineered Explosives
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Sensei's Divining Top

SB: 2 Rakdos Charm
    SB: 1 Umezawa's Jitte
    SB: 1 Force of Will
    SB: 1 Engineered Explosives
    SB: 2 Flusterstorm
    SB: 2 Pithing Needle
    SB: 2 Pyroblast
    SB: 1 Sensei's Divining Top
    SB: 3 Counterbalance

I'm thinking of changing the tasigur to tombstalker (thoughts on this?) since a 5/5 flying is a bit more relevant in most of the matchups I want him anyways. The sideboard jitte can potentially become another top to make the countertop strategy more reliable. Countertop goes in versus all of the faster matchups where the life loss from therapy/probe is just too much (RUG, burn, etc) or versus combo/miracles where the bolts/forked's are only going to the dome.

Cheatyface
    May 2014
    Massachusetts

I'm coming back around to the deck after a hiatus playing Miracles, Storm, and D&T. Trying to evaluate which / how many supplemental removal spells (in addition to the obvious 4x Lighting Bolt) the deck wants. Options I'm considering include: Forked Bolt, Murderous Cut, Ghastly Demise, Diabolic Edict, Innocent Blood, Terminate, Dreadbore, Smother, Go for the Throat, Snuff Out, and Dismember. I'm inclined to shy away from Murderous Cut and Ghastly Demise so my removal spells' effectiveness doesn't fluctuate. For those that have been running a singleton copy of either, how've you found they interact with SCM, DTT, and Tasigur? Forked Bolt is a great meta call against D&T or Elves, but I don't think I would run more than 1 main because I'd like my supplemental removal to answer things that bolt can't. Snuff Out and Dismember are capable of dealing with Tarmogoyf, but with 4x probe and 9 fetches, I'm hesitant to bleed myself more than I need to. Similar to Forked Bolt, I could see myself running up to one copy of either but not more. Like the thread, I've gone back and forth about edict effects vs. targeted removal. It comes down to whether you're more concerned about TNN and it's ilk or things like Goyf. I think targeted removal is better in my local meta, but with the broad metas of SCG Opens and GPs approaching, I'm not decided yet. What I do know is that I'd run Diabolic Edict over Innocent Blood - it's a much stronger effect with multiple TNN in my list and potentially represents an out to Marit Lage. It's also better against Reanimator or Sneak & Show. I don't think Dreadbore has enough upside to make up for being a sorcery - Forked Bolt at least represents a 2-1 possibility and Lightning Bolt / pyromancer tokens already give us a plan to pressure Jace and Liliana. Terminate does its job as targeted removal and doesn't ask questions, but the mana cost is more restrictive than other options. I haven't seen much discussion of Go for the Throat or Smother so far in the thread, and I'm curious to hear your thoughts. I think Smother loses points for not dealing with Tasigur and anything from a deck that tries to cheat out creatures or go over the top. I don't think Go For The Throat's lack of "can't be regenerated" clause will come up that often, and outside of the MUD matchup kills almost everything that terminate does for a less restrictive color requirement. ATM, I'm thinking 1x Forked Bolt and 2 more that will be Go For The Throat and/or Diabolic Edict. That said, I wouldn't have written all my thoughts out if I wasn't interested in what you folks thought too.

tl;dr I have lots of thoughts about non-lighting bolt removal. IMO the best options are a meta-dependent split of Forked Bolt, Go For The Throat, and Diabolic Edict. What's your opinion?

Thread Information