Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Grixis Control / Thieves

Sep 2013
    Tilburg, The Netherlands

[Deck] Grixis Control / Thieves

At GPNJ, Eli Kassis placed 14th with his Grixis Control list. Sadly, he wasn't featured on camera, but Cedric and co have mentioned him and his deck a few times on stream that afterwards it got me intrigued enough to assemble it and test it out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

His GPNJ list at the time was this:
    (SCG : Legacy Decks That Fight The Good Fight)

LANDS [17]:
    1 Island
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Misty Rainforest
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Underground Sea
    4 Volcanic Island

CREATURES [8]:
    1 Baleful Strix
    1 Notion Thief
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Young Pyromancer

PLANESWALKERS [2]:
    2 Dack Fayden

INSTANTS [15]:
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Counterspell
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Pyroblast

SORCERIES [17]:
    4 Ponder
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    3 Cabal Therapy
    4 Treasure Cruise
    1 Forked Bolt
    1 Sudden Demise

ARTIFACTS [1]:
    1 Nihil Spellbomb

SIDEBOARD [15]:
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Null Rod
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Tsabo's Web
    1 Zuran Orb
    1 True-Name Nemesis
    1 Dread of Night
    1 Electrickery
    2 Hydroblast
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Recoil
    1 Smash to Smithereens
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Innocent Blood

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

His updated list at the time is this (changes I made myself as well, coincidentally):
    (Mythic Games : A Legacy Grand Prix Report by Eli Kassis)

LANDS [17]:
    1 Island
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Misty Rainforest
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Underground Sea
    4 Volcanic Island

CREATURES [8]:
    1 Baleful Strix
    1 True-Name Nemesis
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Young Pyromancer

PLANESWALKERS [2]:
    2 Dack Fayden

INSTANTS [15]:
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Counterspell
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Pyroblast

SORCERIES [18]:
    4 Ponder
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    3 Cabal Therapy
    4 Treasure Cruise
    2 Forked Bolt
    1 Preordain

SIDEBOARD [15]:
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Null Rod
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Tsabo's Web
    1 Zuran Orb
    1 Sudden Demise
    1 Massacre
    1 Nihil Spellbomb
    2 Hydroblast
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Recoil
    1 Smash to Smithereens
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Innocent Blood

CHANGES MAIN:
    -1 Notion Thief, -1 Nihil Spellbomb, -1 Sudden Demise
    +1 True-Name Nemesis, +1 Forked Bolt, +1 Preordain

SIDEBOARD CHANGES:
    -1 Dread of Night, -1 Electrickery, -1 True-Name Nemesis
    +1 Massacre, +1 Sudden Demise, +1 Nihil Spellbomb

At first glance, I can thoroughly understand people wondering how this deck even wins matches. It seems to lack real threats and at first glance, Dack Fayden just looks too cute. I (and I presume Eli as well) think Dack has found a new home with the printing of Treasure Cruise. I've never played a (fair) Legacy deck that is able to generate this much card advantage; either be it through Dack's looting ability or Snapcaster, Baleful Strix, the cantrips and Probes and off-setting the balance with Probe + Cabal Therapy (+ Young Pyromancer) even further is quite fun.

Dack's ultimate (-6) makes Pyroblasts, Hydroblasts, Lightning Bolts and Forked Bolts an absolute nightmare. Being able to Forked Bolt 2 Goyfs and adding them to your board is such a huge swing there's no coming back from that. The -2 (stealing an artifact) is absolutely relevant in the current meta, with Stoneblade builds making a rise again. Same goes for Cabal Therapy. Dack also enables multiple Cruises quite quickly and if you've played against the Cruise decks, you know the one who resolves one first often takes the lead.

My current list is this:
    LANDS [17]:
    1 Island
    3 Underground Sea
    4 Volcanic Island
    3 Polluted Delta
    3 Misty Rainforest
    3 Scalding Tarn

CREATURES [9]:
    1 Baleful Strix
    2 True-Name Nemesis
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Young Pyromancer

PLANESWALKERS [2]:
    2 Dack Fayden

INSTANTS [15]:
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Counterspell
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Pyroblast

SORCERIES [17]:
    4 Ponder
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    3 Cabal Therapy
    4 Treasure Cruise
    2 Forked Bolt

SIDEBOARD [15]:
    1 Vendilion Clique
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Null Rod
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Zuran Orb
    1 Sudden Demise
    1 Massacre
    2 Hydroblast
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Smash to Smithereens
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Innocent Blood

Optional choices:
    Sudden Shock might be good in the current SFM / YP meta. I personally really like the Innocent Blood as well and might even up that number with all the Pyroblasts and Hydroblasts being flung around, this black 1 mana spell might really be excellent. We also don't have have an easy way of removing a TNN from the field, the downside is that YP is a card and makes Innocent Blood and Liliana a lot less valuable.

Options are to up the number of Dack's to 3 or maybe even adding 1 Jace or Liliana (she is still good vs non-YP boards).
    Something I've been considering is a Punishing Fire engine, but that would require quite some changes.

Thoughts?

Re: [DECK] Grixis Control / Thieves

Thank you for your post, I was quite surprised there hasn't been one yet. I love the list and I've been testing it since it was revealed.

There are some points I'd like to talk about :

MD :
    I totally agree with -1 Thief +1 Tnn in the main ; thief is good vs bug control but less potent against red or white strat. Given the metagame, it's a choice I like.
    Otherwise I find the list quite perfect. I just regret not having Jace, but no room for him :(.
    I like sudden demise as a protection sweeper in the main. If you want a second forked, why not play jitte instead ?
    I also prefer spellbomb to preordain in the metagame. It allows to win the cruise control mirror more easily.

SB:
    I d like to question :
    . Null Rod : good against Equipments, Top, MUD. Against the first, we have dack +cabal ; against the second, we have needle (and pyroblast - I would play a 4th), against the third, smash (i would play a second one or even hurkyl's recall here).
    . Zuran orb : I just don't like it (jitte instead ? we already have 2 blue blast)
    . Innocent blood : this is maybe here against big threats, but pyromancer + tnn do already the job :)
    . Cage : I hate having to do choices that involve cage + snap. But it's hard to find another decent piece of gy hate (another spellbomb ?)
    . Recoil : I prefer Echoing truth, which is more polyvalent

This is the sb I've been playing with :
    1 Surgical
    1 Spellbomb
    2 Hydroblast
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Needle
    1 Perish
    1 Massacre
    1 Echoing truth
    1 Tsabo s web
    1 Smash
    1 Envelop
    1 Jitte
    1 meta slot

Otherwise, Tsabo s web is awesome, Massacre > Dread of night because it deals with tnn and elves and thank you again for this wonderful list. We re playing Vintage.

(I laughed when I read "Being able to Forked Bolt 2 Goyfs and adding them to your board is such a huge swing there's no coming back from that" - you can also steal 2 griselbrand^^)
    Last edited by JosephK; 11-21-2014 at 11:31 AM.
    Jemand musste Joseph K. verleumdet haben, denn ohne dass er etwas Böses getan hätte, wurde er eines Morgens verhaftet.

Sep 2013
    Tilburg, The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by JosephK View Post
    Thank you for your post, I was quite surprised there hasn't been one yet. I love the list and I've been testing it since it was revealed.
    Yeah, I was surprised as well! I talked to Eli a bit as well and it just sparked the idea to create a thread on The Source.

There are some points I'd like to talk about :

MD :
    I totally agree with -1 Thief +1 Tnn in the main ; thief is good vs bug control but less potent against red or white strat. Given the metagame, it's a choice I like.
    Otherwise I find the list quite perfect. I just regret not having Jace, but no room for him :(.
    I like sudden demise as a protection sweeper in the main. If you want a second forked, why not play jitte instead ?
    I also prefer spellbomb to preordain in the metagame. It allows to win the cruise control mirror more easily.
    - The TNN is a good swap, yeah. Like Baleful Strix, it's a good wall to protect Dack. Once Dack hits his ultimate, the game is virtually won (at least vs fair decks).
    - Sudden Demise is good, absolutely, but it's quite mana intensive, just like Jitte. Jitte is great as well, but Forked Bolt enables Cruises better and with Dack's ulti, it's a superb tool. Having another tool to remove turn 1 x/1 to 2 creatures is good as well.
    - Spellbomb is great and I'm still not sure about this slot. I feel this is a flex slot; it can either be another counter, another Dack, something completely different or another threat like an extra TNN.

SB:
    I d like to question :
    . Null Rod : good against Equipments, Top, MUD. Against the first, we have dack +cabal ; against the second, we have needle (and pyroblast - I would play a 4th), against the third, smash (i would play a second one or even hurkyl's recall here).
    Null Rod also stops LEDs, Petals and Aether Vial. The thing is, I don't feel it's wrong to have another broad answer for these things, since we can't solely just count on Dack and Therapies.
    . Zuran orb : I just don't like it (jitte instead ? we already have 2 blue blast)
    I know it looks weird, but if fuels late game Cruises and makes the Burn and UR Delver matchups a whole let better. It being 0 mana is also rather handy.
    . Innocent blood : this is maybe here against big threats, but pyromancer + tnn do already the job :)
    Innocent Blood does work well in a such a threat-light deck. This is not a build that wants to slam YP on turn two without any back up, so Blood does help to remove threats.
    . Cage : I hate having to do choices that involve cage + snap. But it's hard to find another decent piece of gy hate (another spellbomb ?)
    I get that, it's a slight non-bo, but with only 2 SCM, it's fine and it hits quite some stuff in the Elves, Dredge and ANT matchups.
    . Recoil : I prefer Echoing truth, which is more polyvalent
    I don't care for Recoil much myself as well. Echoing Truth might be fine, but I've been even thinking of swapping 1 Volcanic for 1 Tropical and adding 1 Abrupt Decay (or Krosan Grip) and 1 Ancient Grudge (instead of Smash) to the SB. I don't see this deck getting rid of Counterbalance that well, especially when there's a Top next to it (you can still target it with Pyro and Hydroblast once Dack hits his ulti, but that's about it).

This is the sb I've been playing with :
    1 Surgical
    1 Spellbomb
    2 Hydroblast
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Needle
    1 Perish
    1 Massacre
    1 Echoing truth
    1 Tsabo s web
    1 Smash
    1 Envelop
    1 Jitte
    1 meta slot

Otherwise, Tsabo s web is awesome, Massacre > Dread of night because it deals with tnn and elves and thank you again for this wonderful list. We re playing Vintage.
    That looks good, yeah. I love Jitte, but it just being a random one-off in the side just doesn't really feel right to me, though it might be, since it's fantastic once it connects.

(I laughed when I read "Being able to Forked Bolt 2 Goyfs and adding them to your board is such a huge swing there's no coming back from that" - you can also steal 2 griselbrand^^)
    Technically not, since Griselbrand is Legendary ... ;) Besides, them being able to resolve GB early on pretty much spells game over, since Dack won't have enough time to tick up.

I've been thinking through a more aggressive Grixis deck, and wondering if I should pick up Dacks and try this, but: what about Darkblast in that 2nd Forked Bolt slot? Recurring removal on X/1 and dredge 3 both seem really solid right now, for fueling delve or Dack.
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Nilla Pac View Post
    I've goldfished with Doomsday decks about twenty times and I still haven't won a game yet.

Sep 2013
    Tilburg, The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by anwei View Post
    I've been thinking through a more aggressive Grixis deck, and wondering if I should pick up Dacks and try this, but: what about Darkblast in that 2nd Forked Bolt slot? Recurring removal on X/1 and dredge 3 both seem really solid right now, for fueling delve or Dack.
    Darkblast might be pretty handy, yeah. It's a bit mana intensive, though, but the recurring factor might be excellent. It's sometimes used in Team America as well.

I may give this deck a whirl. I was thinking of playing something like this:

Creatures (5)
    4 Young Pyromancer
    1 Snapcaster Mage

Sorceries (22)
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Ponder
    2 Preordain
    3 Cabal Therapy
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Forked Bolt
    4 Treasure Cruise

Instants (15)
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Fire // Ice
    4 Force of Will

Planeswalkers (2)
    2 Dack Fayden

Lands (16)
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Scalding Tarn
    3 Volcanic Island
    3 Underground Sea

Sideboard (15)
    2 Hydroblast
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Forked Bolt
    2 Pithing Needle
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Nihil Spellbomb
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Thoughtseize
    2 Smash to Smithereens
    1 Dread of Night
    1 Innocent Blood

Thoughts?

@Chaam

That's kind of threat lite which might be an issue in this meta where the early threats come so quick and thick.

I'm looking at Grixis also with about 9 creatures and 3 planeswalkers as the threat base. Not sure exactly how to go about it. At the moment for me the choices are aggro control with Delvers + Young Pyromancers plus a bigger finisher or more control centric like the original list with Young Pyromancers, Snapcaster Mages and Baleful Strix.

The synergy between YP and Cabal Therapy is really interesting in this meta as are the REB/Pyroblasts main.

Not sure about Treasure Cruise in the list. It's really powerful but I'm in a meta that is defined by Show and Tell, Miracles, various Blade builds and Infect and I need more real counters early on. This is one of the reasons I'm looking at Delver. I'm going to have to play a full set of Daze to reliably get to to turn 4.

hi there!
    i would post here my list of Grixis control. is not the same list that there is above, but, it's a control deck with the same colours. the list:

4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Spell Snare
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    3 Underground Sea
    4 Scalding Tarn
    2 Engineered Explosives
    4 Innocent Blood
    3 Volcanic Island
    2 Island
    1 Mountain
    2 Treasure Cruise
    3 Ponder
    3 Standstill
    4 Mishra's Factory
    2 Faerie Conclave
    4 Scalding tarn
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    2 Counterspell

that version is similar of Lam Phan deck but i add the third colour anche delete the denial package, because i think that now with cruise is very hard win in this way.
    we have 5 draw engine: 3standstill and 2cruise.
    also we have 8 remuval with cc1, that there are perfect with standstill. the deck works well in testing, but i'm afraid that against deck like burn, or similar, is goig to be hard win. about that i thoght that could be a good choice counterbalance + sensei lock. i would cut 3ponders and 2cruise and use these slots.
    i played against a mirror match (the gp list) but i won easy....we have many remuvals and snare takes care of YP.

the side is a working progress process!

anyway any thoughts? advice?

@Burn MU: I think in Grixis your best bet might be to race (assuming you bring in something like blue blasts/flusterstorms/Clique) by switching from a control deck to a counterburn deck. If you a very committed to have something that will gain you life, maybe you want a small Trinket Mage package for Basilisk Collar (other targets: EE, which you have anyway and Top, maybe sth like Needle)

Alltogether, I think your post might have been better in the UR Landstill thread, since it's a lot closer to Lam Phan/Shockwave's Deck than to Kassis' Deck.

@Grixis Control: I'm currently not happy with the Sudden Demise slot in the SB, anybody came up with something better? Also, since Miracles is heavily played in my meta, I switched the Preordain for a Dimir Charm, since I mostly loose to a mid-size Entreat in this MU. Countering a Terminus is a bonus, as well as being another hardcounter for Treasure Cruise as well as killing many things, especially in the (pseudo)mirror.

Sep 2013
    Tilburg, The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Philipp2293 View Post
    @Grixis Control: I'm currently not happy with the Sudden Demise slot in the SB, anybody came up with something better? Also, since Miracles is heavily played in my meta, I switched the Preordain for a Dimir Charm, since I mostly loose to a mid-size Entreat in this MU. Countering a Terminus is a bonus, as well as being another hardcounter for Treasure Cruise as well as killing many things, especially in the (pseudo)mirror.
    What is it that makes Sudden Demise not good enough for you? Some options could be; Toxic Deluge, Fire Covenant or Electrickery. Dimir Charm is good, yeah. I could see it being justified as a maindeck slot, though I like to keep the black splash to a minimum. We can operate well enough with only an Island and a couple of Volcanics. Even the Cabal Therapies can be activated by Dack's looting ability when you have a creature out (or even better, a YP).

It seems a bit too manaintensive for what it does - the other options you listed are either more mana efficient or more flexible.

Did you play any tournaments with your list lately?

Sep 2013
    Tilburg, The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Philipp2293 View Post
    It seems a bit too manaintensive for what it does - the other options you listed are either more mana efficient or more flexible.

Did you play any tournaments with your list lately?
    It's a board wipe. All of them are. If you can come up with better alternatives, let me know.

Just a small one with a few people, which you can't really call a tournament. I haven't brought it to the field yet.

Jun 2014
    Switzerland

Tournamentreport 30.11.2014 Strasbourg

Decklist

4 Volcanic Island
    3 Underground Sea
    1 Island
    3 Scalding Tarn
    3 Polluted Delta
    3 Flooded Strand

4 Young Pyromancer
    1 Baleful Strix
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    2 True-Name Nemesis

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    2 Forked Bolt
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Treasure Cruise
    3 Cabal Therapy
    4 Force of Will
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Counterspell

2 Dack Fayden

//Sideboard
    2 Smash to Smithereens
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Hydroblast
    1 Massacre
    1 Dread of Night
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Null Rod
    1 Nihil Spellbomb
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Zuran Orb
    1 Ghastly Demise
    1 Grafdigger's Cage

Hey I went to Strasbourg to play in the Mainevent but finished with a 3/3 drop.
    I was pretty annoyed and wanted to do some stuff for university on sunday,
    but since we had to leave the hotel early, I decided to play in the legacy-side-event. A pretty good decision

Round 1 Vs 12-Post

The whole match was unexciting. He didn't draw his important cards and I got him with young pyromancer.

Boarding
    In: Null-Rod, Pithing Needle, 2 Pyroblast
    Out: 2 Forked Bolt, 1 Cabal Therapy, 1 Lightning Bolt

1-0

Round 2 Vs Jund-Lands

Same as the first match, but this time it was me who got beaten to a pulp. Tabernacle + 2 Wasteland + Exploration + Loam + Smallpox.... yeah gg

Boarding
    In: Surgical Extraction, Nihil Spellbomb
    Out: 2 Pyroblast

1-1

Round 3 Vs BUG-Delver

Dack Fayden id a pretty good job at filtering my hand in both matches, wich led to a significant avantage in the long run.
    My opponent was suprised when i flashbacked delved a treasure cruise with Snapcaster "Can he do that?" he asked a judge standing nearby. Oh yes I can

Boarding
    In: 2 Pyroblast, Surgical Extraction, Nihil Spellbomb, Ghastly Demise
    Out: 4 Force of Will, 1 Counterspell

2-1

Round 4 Vs Naya-Zoo

1st Game I play Basic Island, Ponder... Brainstorm, Fetchland ... He plays 3rd turn Green Sun's for Gaddok Teeg and waits for my concession
    "Nope I'm not storm."
    True Name Nemesis wins against his Punishing Fire Package

2nd Game he keeps an awkward hand "2 Lands, Bolt, Swords, Red Elemental Blast, Eternal Witness, Ajani Vengeant."
    stripping him with Cabal Therapy he never draws a Land again I win.

Boarding
    In: Surgical Extraction, Nihil Spellbomb, Ghastly Demise, Massacre, Pithing Needle
    Out: 3 Force of Will, 2 Pyroblast

3-1

Round 5 Vs UWR-Stoneblade

1st Game he mulligans to 4 without a Land, pretty easy win
    2nd Game he has Jitte on Hand and resolves a Stoneforge, I resolve Dack Fayden and have a back up Smash to smithereens. He has no chance.

Boarding
    In: 2 Pyroblast, 2 Smash to Smithereens, Pithing Needle, 2 Hydroblast
    Out: 4 Force of Will, 1 Counterspell, 1 Baleful Strix, 1 Cabal Therapy

Round 6 Vs ???

Some Math:

He is 3-1-1...
    Prices are 4-1-1 150 Bom Points, 5-1-0 300 Bom Points
    He concedes, we split.

5-1

6th Place

I pretty much like how the deck plays out. The Game Loss agaist Lands was pretty obvious and I think BloodMoon in the Sideboard would help fix this.
    I don't think that more Gravehate or anything along that line could be usefull enough to make this matchup much better.

Thanks for reading

Sep 2013
    Tilburg, The Netherlands

Thanks for that write-up! Good read! Snapping back a Cruise is dirty, I agree and I've had some people ask me if that's even possible; and yes, it is. And yes ... it's filthy, haha.
    In the 12-post match-up, I think I wouldn't have boarded out the Cabal Therapy. Maybe just one Prope instead. Could you explain your reasoning for doing so?

Jun 2014
    Switzerland

To be honest I never played against 12-Post before. I felt like if his main cards are lands and he floats the rest most times on Top with a sensei's,
    I never get to hit the important cards with a therapy anyway so yeah thats why i boarded it out but maybe I was wrong there.

But I would never cut a Probe, maybe another Bolt, cause it cannot hit any of the relevant creatures anyway.

Sep 2013
    Tilburg, The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Lightless View Post
    To be honest I never played against 12-Post before. I felt like if his main cards are lands and he floats the rest most times on Top with a sensei's,
    I never get to hit the important cards with a therapy anyway so yeah thats why i boarded it out but maybe I was wrong there.

But I would never cut a Probe, maybe another Bolt, cause it cannot hit any of the relevant creatures anyway.
    It's hard, yeah. Probe can still give you info and is a cantrip. Bolt does give some extra clock, because when his engine gets rolling, it's hard to win and it's good to just Snap a Bolt back and get that game over with as quickly as possible (seeing as the deck is pretty threat-light).

It depends on the version. With the mono Green versions, you'd obviously cut the Pyroblasts, but with the more common UG version, Pyroblasts are great to counter S&T or a Brainstorm. It's still really good to strip their hand of their Giant or GSZ or even Crop Rotation, though.

Why not board out the Strix? Concerns about blue count for fow and body count for Therapy? I can't see many other reasons.....

Jun 2014
    Switzerland

Strix can still block Emrakul or Primeval Titan and kill them in a fight.

I guess it can, but when Primeval Titan attacks the Post player has gotten 2 Triggers out of it, so the damage is done by then. Same with Emrakul and annihilator, but I think this is the smaller problem, since you might just spam enough tokens to live through one or two annihilator triggers. Also, at the point Emrakul is attacking, Post might have gone infinite already.

Jun 2014
    Switzerland

Like I mentioned in my post I never played against 12 Post before and so I can only argue on the base what did seem right for me at that moment.
    Coming up with a boarding plan from a close to 0 Information point was not that easy. I didn't even know that he plays Show an Tell.
    Maybe i should have boarde in ghastly Demise to kill Primes.
    I definetly should have boarded in Smashs for the Candelabras and his trinket mage package.

But with more experience I will get a better felling for what I should do.

Thread Information