Thread: U/G combo shell

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

U/G combo shell

I am trying to build a critical mass style combo deck that is strictly blue/green that only uses commons and uncommons (see the learner deck project).

What would be a good shell for this. Right now, I am divided between Defender combo (using Axebane Guardian plus a lot of defenders and untap effects like Thassa's Ire to gain infinite mana) and Ghostly Flicker combo (Karoo lands+Cloud Faerie effects + Archaeomancer)

I am also looking for other ideas other than the two above. Any suggestions?
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Re: U/G combo shell

I think blue pauper storm is a thing. (Looking at pauper might give you ideas in general.)

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

I have figured out a rough list of what I am trying to do with this.

This deck list will be part of the intermediate magic "course" that I am teaching my girlfriend. It will be critical mass combo (aka storm deck)

Here is my rough list:

Tropical Storm
    12 Island
    3 Forest
    4 Simic Guildgate
    4 Simic Growth Chamber

4 Overgrowth

4 Coiling Oracle
    4 Eternal Witness
    4 Mulldrifter
    4 Peregrine Drake

4 Ghostly Flicker
    4 Preordain
    4 Ponder
    3 Snap
    2 Compulsive Research >> Will be switched to Stroke of Genius

Like what the rules are: Only common and uncommons with 3x Rares (or Mythic) and 2x Legendary Creatures.

I currently don't have any legendary creatures because all the U/G ones does not fit the strategy. I might just shoehorn Edric, Spymaster of Trest for card draw. As for the rare slot, this will probably be Stroke of Genius. I didn't want to use Blue Sun's Zenith because I already have Green Sun's Zenith with the G/W deck.

Basically, the deck can go from zero to win by turn 4-5 with Drake into Eternal Witness into Ghostly Flicker (given you have at least a 2+ mana land. Alternatively, its a creature deck that can go on a beatdown (though not the best at it).

The issue right now is trying to streamline the deck in order for it to win consistently by turn 4 without disruption.

I have considered running Warden of Evos Isle to reduce the cost of Peregrine Drake and Mulldrifter but those are the only cards that would interact with it.

I am not running Cloud of Faeries because cycling is already used on another deck. I might switch Eternal Witness with Archaeomancer for color fixing but I want to closely incorporate green with the deck.

I cannot run Brainstorm and Evolving Wilds because its already being used in the U/R deck.

I am considering Summer Bloom/Elvish Pioneer type of effects to speed up the deck but not sure on what to remove. Rampant Growth is also considered but I face the same dilemma as above.

Any suggestions are welcome.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Nylea, God of the Hunt is a legendary creature, indestructible, and a mana-sink that makes any other creature (even your Oracles) a lethal trampler when you generate infinite mana.

That or Helix Pinnacle for lulz and upkeep triggered winning.

Thread Information