Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Announcing Exalted Triggers

May 2008
    Milwaukee, WI

Announcing Exalted Triggers

I think that I understand this correctly, but given that it's highly important to a deck I'm playing in modern I thought it best to double check. As I understand the "new" trigger rules, I only have to demonstrate that an exalted trigger has happened at the first point it matters (usually combat damage). So, for example, I can just say, "Swing with Qasali Pridemage" and not have to announce/resolve the exalted trigger right after attackers are declared. Then when it gets to the combat damage step, I can say "Take 3 because of exalted," thereby indicating that the exalted trigger happened.

Confirmation that my understanding of the new trigger rules would be great. I believe the relevant judge ruling is in 4.4 of the Tournament rules:

Triggered abilities are considered to be forgotten by their controller once they have taken an action past the point
    where the triggered ability would have an observable impact on the game. Triggered abilities that are forgotten are
    not considered to have gone onto the stack
    And there was an article I found on Wizards discussing the new trigger rule a bit more which seems to indicate that my understanding of exalted is correct.
    Playing Punishing Regular Miracles.

Contribute to the community Miracles Primer.

Re: Announcing Exalted Triggers

You're correct, exalted is "non-visible" so it only has to be acknowledged when it has a visible impact on the game - eg, a life total is affected or a creature takes lethal damage.

You actually want to look at the Game Play Error - Missed Trigger section of the IPG:

The point by which the player needs to demonstrate this awareness depends on the impact that the trigger would
    have on the game:
    • A triggered ability that requires its controller to choose targets (other than 'target opponent'),
    modes, or other choices made when the ability is put onto the stack: The controller must announce
    those choices before they next pass priority.
    • A triggered ability that causes a change in the visible game state (including life totals) or requires a
    choice upon resolution: The controller must take the appropriate physical action or make it clear what the
    action taken or choice made is before taking any game actions (such as casting a sorcery spell or explicitly
    moving to the next step or phase) that can be taken only after the triggered ability should have resolved.
    Note that casting an instant spell or activating an ability doesn’t mean a triggered ability has been forgotten,
    as it could still be on the stack.
    • A triggered ability that changes the rules of the game: The controller must prevent an opponent from
    taking any resulting illegal action.
    • A triggered ability that affects the game state in non-visible ways: The controller must take physical
    action or make it clear what the action is the first time the change has an effect on the visible game state.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

As a followup, even Swiftspear triggers are "non-visible", since they don't have an impact on the game until combat damage. I saw this ruled a few times at the GP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

Aug 2014
    Central New York

I always say "declare attacks, exalted" to cover my ass. It's also worthwhile to point out all the exalted triggers (ie; QPM and 2 Nobles on field): "declare attacks, exalted-exalted-exalted". As pointed out, you can easily point out a missed trigger should your opponent "miss" formal declaration of non-visibles. It's nit-picky, sure, but spelled out for competitive players to adhere to.

Quote Originally Posted by Warden View Post
    I always say "declare attacks, exalted" to cover my ass. It's also worthwhile to point out all the exalted triggers (ie; QPM and 2 Nobles on field): "declare attacks, exalted-exalted-exalted". As pointed out, you can easily point out a missed trigger should your opponent "miss" formal declaration of non-visibles. It's nit-picky, sure, but spelled out for competitive players to adhere to.
    I'm not sure I'm understanding your post. Announcing every trigger is the most sporting thing to do, and probably the safest, but not the most competively advantageous. You can't be "easily" penalized for not announcing your non-visisble triggers, you just have to demonstrate awareness that they happened when something occurs that makes them relevant.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    I'm not sure I'm understanding your post. Announcing every trigger is the most sporting thing to do, and probably the safest, but not the most competively advantageous. You can't be "easily" penalized for not announcing your non-visisble triggers, you just have to demonstrate awareness that they happened when something occurs that makes them relevant.
    So would that mean that you can pass over the triggers and first bring them up at Damage step since that's when they are most likely to have a relevant impact?
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

So would that mean that you can pass over the triggers and first bring them up at Damage step since that's when they are most likely to have a relevant impact?
    That's exactly what the rule on non-visible triggers means. You don't have to acknowledge they happened until they affect the visible game state.
    -David DeLaney

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Ok, do you mind if I ask for the rule number on that? Got a feeling I am going to be quoting this one in the not to distant future.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Ok, do you mind if I ask for the rule number on that? Got a feeling I am going to be quoting this one in the not to distant future.
    The Infraction Procedure Guide, Game Play Error - Missed Trigger. Quoted above. The relevant of the four categories of triggers is:

A triggered ability that affects the game state in non-visible ways: The controller must take physical
    action or make it clear what the action is the first time the change has an effect on the visible game state.
    -David DeLaney

On my own buddy list
    Jun 2007
    Bristol RI

I have a situation question that I feel might help clarify this for me:

If I have a Monastery Swiftspear on the board and I play a ponder without announcing the trigger. I go to combat and my opponent plays sudden shock on Swiftspear.

does the Swiftspear die in this situation because the trigger wasn't announced?

Quote Originally Posted by Maagler View Post
    I have a situation question that I feel might help clarify this for me:

If I have a Monastery Swiftspear on the board and I play a ponder without announcing the trigger. I go to combat and my opponent plays sudden shock on Swiftspear.

does the Swiftspear die in this situation because the trigger wasn't announced?
    No, this is the "the first time the change has an effect on the visible game state", so you just point out that its a 2/3 because the ability triggered and resolved off the Ponder.

Your opponent could ask you what its toughness is before deciding to play Sudden Shock (derived information, you can answer honestly or decline to answer) or ask how many times it's triggered this turn (free information, you have to answer and answer honestly).

Obviously he can't be responding to the Swiftspear trigger if the Ponder has already resolved.
    Last edited by cdr; 11-23-2014 at 10:54 PM.
    -David DeLaney

How does this work with respect to a Delver trigger. At the GP I had an opponent move to his upkeep with an unflipped Delver, cast a Brainstorm and then attempt to flip the Delver after I resolving Brainstorm. I called a judge and it was ruled a missed trigger, but the way I read this, it seems like he should have been able to flip his Delver.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by slikwilly View Post
    How does this work with respect to a Delver trigger. At the GP I had an opponent move to his upkeep with an unflipped Delver, cast a Brainstorm and then attempt to flip the Delver after I resolving Brainstorm. I called a judge and it was ruled a missed trigger, but the way I read this, it seems like he should have been able to flip his Delver.
    While this is entirely unrelated to anything within this thread, I am actually interested in an opinion from someone like cdr as to why this was the case. His post is kind of unclear, but as I see it, the trigger was never missed. Never strictly declared, no, but there was never a point of no return. Never a point where Delver's trigger could not have possibly been on the stack any longer. Not like resolving Gitaxian Probe without putting out an Elemental token for Young Pyromancer. Not like putting a charge counter on Aether Vial while your opponent has a Sulfuric Vortex.

You're right, it shouldn't have "been ruled a missed trigger". Note that Delver of Secrets's trigger is in the second category of triggers, as it requires a choice. The other triggers we've been discussing in this thread have been non-visible, category four.

The description of the second category tells you exactly what you need to know: "The controller must take the appropriate physical action or make it clear what the action taken or choice made is before taking any game actions (such as casting a sorcery spell or explicitly moving to the next step or phase) that can be taken only after the triggered ability should have resolved. Note that casting an instant spell or activating an ability doesn’t mean a triggered ability has been forgotten, as it could still be on the stack."

If an instant is cast in the same phase/step as a trigger, it's assumed the instant is going on the stack above the trigger. Your opponent did not have to acknowledge the trigger until he resolved it.
    Last edited by cdr; 11-24-2014 at 07:25 PM.
    -David DeLaney

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

I would think that Delver's trigger is "non-visible" since it requires action on the part of one of the players. That said, I don't know how you determined he was past the point of that trigger occurring before Brainstorming. As long as he didn't move to his draw step, it seems very nebulous to argue that the beginning of the upkeep past, we're now knee-deep in upkeeps, and Delver doesn't get to flip.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Per cdr's quote from the IPG -- How are life totals part of the "visible game-state", but power/toughness aren't? It seems like checking creatures for nonzero toughness would require a nod; otherwise if life totals were treated the same there'd be no need to announce changes in life total until you were either expressly prompted to do so, or when you actually lose the game.

Perhaps there's a reference for what qualifies as "visible". I feel like power and toughness are definitely a visible aspect of the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Per cdr's quote from the IPG -- How are life totals part of the "visible game-state", but power/toughness aren't? It seems like checking creatures for nonzero toughness would require a nod; otherwise if life totals were treated the same there'd be no need to announce changes in life total until you were either expressly prompted to do so, or when you actually lose the game.

Perhaps there's a reference for what qualifies as "visible". I feel like power and toughness are definitely a visible aspect of the game.
    Life totals are free information. Power and toughness are not.

Check the section on player communication for details: http://www.wizards.com/ContentResour...Rules_PDF1.pdf
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    Life totals are free information. Power and toughness are not.

Check the section on player communication for details: http://www.wizards.com/ContentResour...Rules_PDF1.pdf
    The list of things that fall under "physical status" seem arbitrary. Tapped, flipped, unattached and phased?? Is that comprehensive? Like, as a recent example, what sets Monstrous apart from Phased? Besides their in-game effect of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    The list of things that fall under "physical status" seem arbitrary. Tapped, flipped, unattached and phased?? Is that comprehensive? Like, as a recent example, what sets Monstrous apart from Phased? Besides their in-game effect of course.
    It's not arbitrary; statuses are the the things that are physically represented by manipulating the card.

110.6. A permanent's status is its physical state. There are four status categories, each of which has two possible values: tapped/untapped, flipped/unflipped, face up/face down, and phased in/phased out. Each permanent always has one of these values for each of these categories.

(I was wrong above about the face of a double-faced card being a state.)

It's worth noting that whether a permanent is monstrous is free information even though it's not a status or part of the visible state of the game; it's a "detail of a past game action that still affects the game state".

Whether an object has counters on it is free information, and you are required to accurately represent the number of counters on an object, but the number of counters is technically derived information (a characteristic of the object).
    -David DeLaney

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    Your opponent could ask you what its toughness is before deciding to play Sudden Shock (derived information, you can answer honestly or decline to answer) or ask how many times it's triggered this turn (free information, you have to answer and answer honestly).
    'Declining to answer' seems interesting... This is going to sound like I'm being a smart ass, but I'm seriously asking here:

To decline to answer, do I state "I am declining to answer."? Do I just sit mute? Is there any requirement on my part to even acknowledge the question I am declining to answer?

Is there a whole category of questions I can decline to answer?

If my opponent asks me a question I can decline to answer, and I'm declining to answer, and he calls a judge, what would happen?

Again... these are serious questions.

Thread Information