Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Announcing Exalted Triggers

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Re: Announcing Exalted Triggers

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    'Declining to answer' seems interesting... This is going to sound like I'm being a smart ass, but I'm seriously asking here:

To decline to answer, do I state "I am declining to answer."? Do I just sit mute? Is there any requirement on my part to even acknowledge the question I am declining to answer?
    You can do that or just shrug your shoulders and say "you tell me". You can say whatever except mislead an opponent.
    Is there a whole category of questions I can decline to answer?
    Yeah, anything pertaining to derived information or hidden information. Note if someone is asking you from the capacity of a judge, you MUST answer when asked (you can do so away from the table) as outlined in my link
    If my opponent asks me a question I can decline to answer, and I'm declining to answer, and he calls a judge, what would happen?

Again... these are serious questions.
    Judge should tell him that you are under no obligation to answer. Simple as that.

You have a lord of atlantis and a cursecatcher out and i ask what is curscatcher's P/T? You can say nothing or otherwise decline to answer. A judge gets called, opponent states his case. Judge should say "he doesn't have to answer" and the game should continue
    Matt Bevenour in real life

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    just shrug your shoulders
    Thanks Matt!

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

For another semi-related question, albeit in Standard:

If a player has a Seeker of the Way and then plays Lightning Strike, but doesn't announce any Seeker trigger, would I then be able to Abzan Charm it?

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by Di View Post

If a player has a Seeker of the Way and then plays Lightning Strike, but doesn't announce any Seeker trigger, would I then be able to Abzan Charm it?
    Yes.

This can actually be answered without involving visible/non-visible confusion. There is no "may" involved with Prowess. Either Seeker of the Way gets +1/+1 and you Abzan Charm it, or your opponent tries to make it a missed trigger and you choose to put the trigger on the stack anyway.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by Di View Post

I would think so, since Prowess is not a "may" ability. Not sure how it would work with something like Ajani's Pridemate though. I think you always have the option to point out triggers to your opponent?
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    Not sure how it would work with something like Ajani's Pridemate though.
    Ajani's Pridemate receives a +1/+1 counter when its ability resolves. There is no unknown middle ground with that card. Either Ajani's Pridemate got a +1/+1 counter, Ajani's Pridemate's controller chose not to put a +1/+1 counter on it, or the trigger was missed.

A quick Google search and a skim through some guidelines says that anything related to "may" and otherwise non-visible triggers, such as Akoum Battlesinger, would have to be acknowledged as there is a choice to be made. Which is to say that they can be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    Yes.

This can actually be answered without involving visible/non-visible confusion. There is no "may" involved with Prowess. Either Seeker of the Way gets +1/+1 and you Abzan Charm it, or your opponent tries to make it a missed trigger and you choose to put the trigger on the stack anyway.
    Not sure what you meant by "tries to make it a missed trigger", but deliberately "forgetting" a trigger because it's advantageous to you = cheating, DQ.

A quick Google search and a skim through some guidelines says that anything related to "may" and otherwise non-visible triggers, such as Akoum Battlesinger, would have to be acknowledged as there is a choice to be made. Which is to say that they can be missed.
    Yes, any trigger with "may" falls in the second category (has a choice). The trigger has to be acknowledged before you do something that requires the stack to be empty - move to the next step/phase, play a sorcery, play a land, etc.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information