Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What other stores could/would stream Legacy events?

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

What other stores could/would stream Legacy events?

With SCG's decision to barely stream Legacy for (at least) the first half of 2015, I was wondering what other stores are actually capable of hosting and streaming decent Legacy events regularly. Obviously CFB is one of the first that comes to mind, but perhaps other retailers such as TCGplayer or MTGDeals are able to as well.

It also occured to me that a more likely scenario would be if one store didn't want/wasn't able to finance a tour, perhaps a few retailers could host local tournaments on a rotating schedule. If each store could get butts in seats for a monthly event, then maybe something could be organized stream-wise. Obviously this sort of thing would take a lot of voiced support from people for the big stores to consider doing, but do you think they'd even consider it?

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

Re: What other stores could/would stream Legacy events?

Bah, this probably should've been posted in the Community board.

MTGDeals used to stream around 2012, TCG invitational or whatever it was also had videocoverage, so it's possible

It's tiny compared to SCG events, but one of my local stores streams Legacy on Wednesdays. Once I get done putting together my deck, I'll be potentially on the stream.

http://www.twitch.tv/themeadery/

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Sloshthedark View Post
    MTGDeals used to stream around 2012, TCG invitational or whatever it was also had videocoverage, so it's possible
    Unfortunately they stopped streaming and running lucritive events. All of them lately have been Store Credit events and are OK, but not great.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Tales Of Adventure I think is trying to run with the hole opened up. Caffrey's previous events had video coverage even if the last one I attended didn't.

It isn't a once a week or once a month thing, but it should help
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Why? Unless it candrive people to actually buy cards from their website I can't imagine any benefit and I doubt anyone is going to frequent a particular store because they stream 4 rounds of legacy once a week.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

I'll have a more detailed post in the next day or so but the short answer is basically anyone.

To stream live paper magic, you need an okay camera capable of outputting live to a computer (<$100) and an internet connected computer, which most stores already have. There's already a couple stores that do stream but most of them lack the thing that really makes a good stream stand out - commentary. Commentary is a pain because you're likely more-than-doubling your equipment cost and you have to have one or more person who knows the format well enough to comment BUT ALSO have that person not play.

The number of stores streaming paper magic has been increasing recently. With the lack of streamed Sunday legacy, I expect many more stores will start streaming, especially legacy. It will be interesting to see which ones become most popular and how they handle the commentary issue.

One idea that's been floated locally is to record the matches then add commentary later. This allows everyone to play, cuts dead time to near-zero, and allows you to timeshift the stream to whatever will garner the most viewers / ad impressions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    Why? Unless it candrive people to actually buy cards from their website I can't imagine any benefit and I doubt anyone is going to frequent a particular store because they stream 4 rounds of legacy once a week.
    This is the problem most LGS will face. While the investment involved with streaming is relatively small, unless you've got a quite large selection singles available for purchase online, it's almost certainly not worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    This is the problem most LGS will face. While the investment involved with streaming is relatively small, unless you've got a quite large selection singles available for purchase online, it's almost certainly not worth it.
    I would ask Atomic Empire, they stream their weekend quarterlies. It's a nice gesture, but I'm not sure how it makes them money. They have the benefit of being a big store with a dedicated room in the back for streaming ... I believe they do only the players voices and no commentary.

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

there are enough streaming people out there who make a living with that. you dont need to make streaming professional as scg to satisfy the watchers. streaming on twitch is for free, all you need is a camera (pretty cheap these days)
    connect this with a link to your shop and give 5% discount and sell this followerprogram and it should be worth it
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

I'll have a more detailed post in the next day or so but the short answer is basically anyone.

To stream live paper magic, you need an okay camera capable of outputting live to a computer (<$100) and an internet connected computer, which most stores already have. There's already a couple stores that do stream but most of them lack the thing that really makes a good stream stand out - commentary. Commentary is a pain because you're likely more-than-doubling your equipment cost and you have to have one or more person who knows the format well enough to comment BUT ALSO have that person not play.

The number of stores streaming paper magic has been increasing recently. With the lack of streamed Sunday legacy, I expect many more stores will start streaming, especially legacy. It will be interesting to see which ones become most popular and how they handle the commentary issue.

One idea that's been floated locally is to record the matches then add commentary later. This allows everyone to play, cuts dead time to near-zero, and allows you to timeshift the stream to whatever will garner the most viewers / ad impressions.
    Do people really like the commentary? Best I can tell, it's just a source of amusement and/or frustration around here. Doing commentary at an LGS just seems so awkward, since you basically don't want the commentator(s) within earshot of the participants.

Maybe a good compromise would be to have someone streaming their desktop, with video of the match in a window, and separate windows to show what's in each player's hand, maybe one for the board state?
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey View Post
    there are enough streaming people out there who make a living with that. you dont need to make streaming professional as scg to satisfy the watchers. streaming on twitch is for free, all you need is a camera (pretty cheap these days)
    connect this with a link to your shop and give 5% discount and sell this followerprogram and it should be worth it
    You can also charge for your stream on Twitch no?

I see legacy tournaments streamed all the time. They just don't generally have expensive production values / commentators, or many viewers. Saito's store in Japan streams legacy at least once a month, usually interesting to watch.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    I see legacy tournaments streamed all the time. They just don't generally have expensive production values / commentators, or many viewers. Saito's store in Japan streams legacy at least once a month, usually interesting to watch.
    It's sort of a different topic than if another store will pick up the mantle of regularly broadcasting large Legacy tournaments, but I'd be into a jumble thread for people to post when any store is currently streaming a Legacy tournament, like Saito's store, or Tales of Adventure, or any of the tons that do it but not enough to warrant their own thread.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

I don't think people are that un-inventive. If a store has $10 legacy and only $8 goes into the pot from each person, it's an easy $40 or so that costed them nothing other than keeping their doors open. If the people buy drinks, sleeves, deck boxes, cards, or anything else; so much the better (and they will.)

The real point is whether that $40 is any better than what they could be doing that night; which may be "no" depending on how active the standard/drafting scene is there.

That said, there is money in streaming (if meagre) that if you can get enough viewers you could easily build a business model out of "milking" your local players just to play; akin to college sports. The players want to play and have recognition, the people broadcast it and make money because it's popular.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    Do people really like the commentary? Best I can tell, it's just a source of amusement and/or frustration around here. Doing commentary at an LGS just seems so awkward, since you basically don't want the commentator(s) within earshot of the participants.

Maybe a good compromise would be to have someone streaming their desktop, with video of the match in a window, and separate windows to show what's in each player's hand, maybe one for the board state?
    Personally I'm torn. When you see the serious players who say nothing all match and just make hand gestures to pass priority, then commentary makes sense.

But sometimes we see the players chatting and laughing and smiling and I find myself wanting to hear the table noise. The problem is that an organizer doesn't know before hand which kind of personalities they are going to be.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2013

I think it could act as a sort of 'free' advertising for the business, as well as attract players who want to compete on camera or just enjoy the tournament format. I mentioned big businesses because them showing support for the format could get people to buy from them because of it, not to mention that their the ones who can host larger tournaments enough to be even somewhat relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by tescrin View Post
    I don't think people are that un-inventive. If a store has $10 legacy and only $8 goes into the pot from each person, it's an easy $40 or so that costed them nothing other than keeping their doors open. If the people buy drinks, sleeves, deck boxes, cards, or anything else; so much the better (and they will.)
    Almost any store will sanction any 8+ person event it's patrons ask them to sanction and if players are willing to make up the prize support there's almost no downside. But no event will grow without the store owner promoting it, pushing it, and in the beginning maybe going in the hole a little to grow the attendance. The primary Legacy supporter for almost 6-8 years finally cancelled its weekly Wednesday legacy about a month ago because attendance was hardly 8 people. Their model was $5 entry, $100 store credit (with an extensive stock of almost anything). They also tried free $100 credit. Over the past 3 years attendance has gone from (roughly), 30-35, 20-25, 10-15, to less than 8.

If all the store does is say, "We'll Sanction It and Pay Back in Credit" - I don't anticipate much interest. Maybe streaming would draw a few more people, but how many people really have a hard on to have the top of their heads shown on a stream garnering 50-200 anonymous viewers?

Legacy locally has pretty much died, IMO because the format is stale as a 5 day old fart. Some people have sold out but more people have bought in since. Tons of people stay home with their legacy stuff and just aren't that interested in the format.

Or maybe I just pissed that many people off ...

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

Legacy locally has pretty much died, IMO because the format is stale as a 5 day old fart. Some people have sold out but more people have bought in since. Tons of people stay home with their legacy stuff and just aren't that interested in the format.
    Here it seems to be slowly growing; though there's only the one shop that does it regularly (which is helping to make it focused and draw people in.)
    Even in the cold of the fall we're regularly firing with a good 12-20 people; and not always the same faces (about 75% are regulars each time I'd say.)

Often there will be a new burn/dredge guy popping in now and then; there are more people showing up before local Opens/IQs or the GP for practice.

That said, I think Legacy is tough and expensive; which grinds a lot of people out. It makes you feel stupid and eventually you succumb to "well I can make all my money back +25%. May as well get out now." It's also a format targeted (really) at 20-30 year olds who start having kids, buying houses, etc.. and then lose the ability to continue participating. One of our locals (our only true Miracles player week-in week-out) is having a kid soon and he probably will be lucky to come once/twice a month.

The format seems stale to a vet who does well I'm sure; but when you look at the GP's top 16 you pretty much have to take that opinion and stuff it. [Unless you mean innovation; sure; a lot of lists are relatively static; but the sheer diversity of the format still exists.] I think you're just too knowledgeable of the format and nostalgic for that "I've never seen/fought this!" feeling. Eventually you've seen every strategy and know every card in their hand and if you still want that excitement you have to wait for a release to shake things up or you have to enjoy the mastership you've achieved.

I think it's more that even when you see a new list; you can guess 90% of it via the colors it runs and the first 3 spells it casts (or if you get to look at their hand.) Since you know a white creature deck is supposed to have SFM; it's not interesting. Since you know a green list will have Goyf (or maybe KotR) or something that's just worse; the feeling of surprise is gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Thread Information