Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Article]Eternal Europe: About that GP in New Jersey...

[Article]Eternal Europe: About that GP in New Jersey...

Sorry about missing out last week, you should get two articles throughout this week to compensate - I hope that's fine with y'all :) No 1 - my GP NJ impressions:

http://www.starcitygames.com/article...ew-Jersey.html

PS: excuse my being so silent concerning the responses lately, irl can be a bitch at times. :/
    I don't have low self-esteem, I have low esteem for everyone else. -Daria

Proud member of Team CAB
    High Priest of the Church of BLA

CAB JaceTM

My articles

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Re: [Article]Eternal Europe: About that GP in New Jersey...

Thanks for restating what I've been saying in the comments of every single recap article from someone who said UR Delver was the Best Deck - especially in an 'official' SCG article. The amount of reverb in that particular venue is outclassed only by the echos in the actual hall they played Magic in...

Also very excited at the prospect of non-Miracles 'Control' being a thing - that deck is good, but it is awful to watch, and even worse to play against.
    Check out my Legacy UBTezz Primer. Chalice of the Void: Keeping Magic Fair.
    -----
    Playing since '96. Brief forced break '02-04. Former/Idle Judge since '05. Told Smmenen to play faster at Vintage Worlds.
    -----
    Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy', as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. This is an idiotic metric.

20% of the day 2 meta is pretty huge for legacy. Even if UR was 20-25% of the meta at the start of the tournament, that's still quite good considering all the electrickerys, hydroblasts, cop: reds, and kor firewalkers that everyone was packing to hate it out. I thought it would have a much steeper drop off from day 1.

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Format seems fine now. Plenty of innovation. Hope there won't be any funny ban hammer business for Treasure Cruise. It's really not that oppressive. It's just "good". I sure hope they unban survival instead so legacy can remain the broken stuff format. Keep the ban hammer for modern lol.

Yep. TC is broken, but not Bah-roken. I'd love to see some unbannings now, but thanks for the interesting take.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Would it be correct to think of the TC shell explored by Eli Kassis, Brian Braun-Duin, and the various UR delve shells, as the following

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Treasure Cruise
    4 Young Pyromancer
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lighting Bolt

9-10 Fetchlands
    1-2 basiclands
    6-7 Dual Lands

4-6 Creatures
    5-6 1 mana spells
    1-6 Flex spots

I can see how the shell can be used for White (Stoneblade) and Black (Discard), but I am wondering if you can use this shell for a Temur deck?

Judgy Curmudgeon
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by force_of_phil View Post
    20% of the day 2 meta is pretty huge for legacy. Even if UR was 20-25% of the meta at the start of the tournament, that's still quite good considering all the electrickerys, hydroblasts, cop: reds, and kor firewalkers that everyone was packing to hate it out. I thought it would have a much steeper drop off from day 1.
    Most of the discussion pegs it closer to 30% of D1, in various forms. And your discussion about surviving the hate discounts the natural benefit of trouncing fun/pet decks.

Regardless, Treasure Cruise is TNN is SnT is Counterbalance... Same color, different day
    Check out my Legacy UBTezz Primer. Chalice of the Void: Keeping Magic Fair.
    -----
    Playing since '96. Brief forced break '02-04. Former/Idle Judge since '05. Told Smmenen to play faster at Vintage Worlds.
    -----
    Most of the 'Ban brainstorm!' arguments are based on the logic that 'more different cards should get played in Legacy', as though the success or health of the format can be measured by the portion of cards that are available and see play. This is an idiotic metric.

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Would it be correct to think of the TC shell explored by Eli Kassis, Brian Braun-Duin, and the various UR delve shells, as the following

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Treasure Cruise
    4 Young Pyromancer
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lighting Bolt

9-10 Fetchlands
    1-2 basiclands
    6-7 Dual Lands

4-6 Creatures
    5-6 1 mana spells
    1-6 Flex spots

I can see how the shell can be used for White (Stoneblade) and Black (Discard), but I am wondering if you can use this shell for a Temur deck?
    Yes, but what does green give you besides goyf and grip? How is that better than free tokens via hand disruption (Therapy) or the card advantage/walls of sfm/batterskull/tnn + the absolute removal of stp

Quote Originally Posted by Ellomdian View Post
    Most of the discussion pegs it closer to 30% of D1, in various forms. And your discussion about surviving the hate discounts the natural benefit of trouncing fun/pet decks.

Regardless, Treasure Cruise is TNN is SnT is Counterbalance... Same color, different day
    30% seems really high, but I haven't seen any data so who knows? But yes, it's not the end of the world. The deck is linear enough that the best players can find ways to beat it.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by Star|Scream View Post
    Yes, but what does green give you besides goyf and grip? How is that better than free tokens via hand disruption (Therapy) or the card advantage/walls of sfm/batterskull/tnn + the absolute removal of stp
    Grove + Sideboard options
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    Grove + Sideboard options
    I suppose the dis-synergy with punishing fire and delve isn't terrible, but is it more effective than sfm? Also what sideboard options besides grip and grudge?

EDIT:

Also groves can't cast any of your blue spells.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

I suppose the dis-synergy with punishing fire and delve isn't terrible, but is it more effective than sfm? Also what sideboard options besides grip and grudge?

EDIT:

Also groves can't cast any of your blue spells.
    I don't know, but it's real good with Pyromancer and Swiftspear. I just want a deck that runs Groves and Caverns, is that too much to ask?!?!

Edit: and Brainstorm and Treasure Cruise!
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

I don't know, but it's real good with Pyromancer and Swiftspear. I just want a deck that runs Groves and Caverns, is that too much to ask?!?!

Edit: and Brainstorm and Treasure Cruise!
    Blue shell Zoo minus the all the counters except Force of Will might be really good.

4x Brainstorm
    4x Ponder
    4x Gitaxian Probe
    4x Treasure Cruise
    4x Force of Will

4x Goblin Guide
    4x Monastery Swiftspear
    4x Young Pyromancer
    3x Shardless Agent

4x Lightning Bolt
    3x Punishing Fire

4x Scalding Tarn
    4x Misty Rainforest
    1x Wooded Foothills
    4x Volcanic Island
    2x Tropical Island
    3x Grove of the Burnwillows

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Agent looks weak in that.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Agent looks weak in that.
    Probably the weakest card in the list but also probably better than Tarmogoyf or one of the 3cc creatures like Vendilion Clique or True-Name Nemesis. Agent does give you the opportunity to cast direct damage off of the top of the pile and he does give you 8 shots at a haste creature. He might be decent in that scenario since I think that list will be doing a lot of early damage and looking to finish things off by the time he arrives.

There are 27 instants/sorceries in the list. Maybe go 4 Delver of Secrets and 3 Goblin Guides?

Site Contributor

Jun 2013
    Philadelphia, PA

You're basically just playing clunkier UR Delver at this point.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by btm10 View Post
    You're basically just playing clunkier UR Delver at this point.
    Except that if you run Delver over Shardless and find something to replace Guide (maybe 2x Snap, 2x something else?), you can run Cavern and give Miracles all the headaches!

Edit: Other interesting Humans on color:

Lavamancer (probably too much of a nonbo with Cruise, not necessary with PFire)
    Rattleclaw Mystic (not sure if necessary)
    Veteran Explorer (but why?!)
    Surrak Dragonclaw, Puncher of Bears, Wearer of Aforementioned Bears
    Noble Hierarch
    Varchild's Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar Raiders!
    Burning-Tree Emissary

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

No clue honestly, It's just that once we have this shell I want to see what we can put into that shell. Absolutely none of my ideas so far are probably good, but I really want to throw in green, a combo, or a tribe, and see what sticks

Except that if you run Delver over Shardless and find something to replace Guide (maybe 2x Snap, 2x something else?), you can run Cavern and give Miracles all the headaches!

Edit: Other interesting Humans on color:

Lavamancer (probably too much of a nonbo with Cruise, not necessary with PFire)
    Rattleclaw Mystic (not sure if necessary)
    Veteran Explorer (but why?!)
    Surrak Dragonclaw, Puncher of Bears, Wearer of Aforementioned Bears
    Noble Hierarch
    Varchild's Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar Raiders!
    Burning-Tree Emissary
    I think you're right, Snapcaster is the way to go. So 4x Monastery Swiftspear, 4x Delver of Secrets, 4 Young Pyromancer and 3x Snapcaster Mage?

Manabase would have to be 4x Scalding Tarn, 3x Misty Rainforest, 2x Wooded Foothills, 4x Volcanic Island, 1x Island, 1x Mountain, 3x Grove of the Burnwillows and 2x Cavern of Souls in the SB for when it would really piss somebody like Miracles, Phamstill or another Delver list off.

Happy you guys liked the article :)

@Cire: That seems like the best Treasure Cruise shell so far, I agree.

@20% Delver: Given the hype before the GP and the quality of players behind the deck, 20% seems utterly reasonable (especially given that I expect there to have been more of it on D1 as a result of the hype - meaning the deck would have actually underperformed compared to the field both in d2 conversion and t16 conversion)

@Decklist: PFire is insane right now, definitely a direction to look at moving forward. As to RUG colored lists, there is also the reasonably successful modernized version of RUG to consider (basically RUG minus Mongoose and flex slots plus YP and Cruise). Also I agree that Agent looks terrible in that list.

@Banning: With the format as is, I don't think anything needs to be banned. I still feel like the delve cards might become problematic on power-level alone in the future if we find the ideal shells to abuse them in, but that's for then to worry about.
    I don't have low self-esteem, I have low esteem for everyone else. -Daria

Proud member of Team CAB
    High Priest of the Church of BLA

CAB JaceTM

My articles

Thread Information