Thread: Trisomy (BGW Pox)

Oct 2014
    Denver, CO

Trisomy (BGW Pox)

Traveling back home this week to play in some modern tournaments over Thanksgiving vacation. I've been theorycrafting this deck for the last week or so, and was just curious if you guys had any insight on the Mainboard or what i should put in my Sideboard. I'll come back with stats & everything next week after I jam some games.

Here's the list:

Creatures - 2
    2 Bloodghast

Spells - 33
    1 Darkblast
    3 Inquisition of Kozilek
    1 Raven's Crime
    2 Thoughtseize
    4 Abrupt Decay
    2 Bitterblossom
    3 Life from the Loam
    4 Smallpox
    4 Liliana of the Veil
    4 Lingering Souls
    2 Rain of Tears
    2 Timely Reinforcements
    1 Worm Harvest

Lands - 25
    1 Forest
    4 Swamp
    4 Marsh Flats
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Godless Shrine
    2 Overgrown Tomb
    1 Temple Garden
    2 Ghost Quarter
    2 Mutavault
    3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

Sideboard:
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Timely Reinforcements
    2 Stony Silence
    2 Kitchen Finks
    2 Choke
    2 Smother

Initial thoughts?

Re: Trisomy (BGW Pox)

The power level of Trisomy in Modern is not nearly high enough to compete... even my original design of this deck Trisomy 21 for Legacy at the time was barely playable.

Creatures have gotten significantly more stronger while the spells we get have not grown at an equal rate and as such are often outshined by their legged counterparts.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but unless you just want to have fun this won't do much for you.

Mid-range Control is hard to play in Modern right now. You need to figure out a way to shut down the combo lists and have it in the main list in order to play a grinding list like this. The targeted discard will buy you a bit of time but it won't stop you from losing in the end to whatever they're trying to do.

For what you're getting out of it white might not be the ideal splash color. Red gets you damage to the face and things like Rain of Gore for the life gainers and Slaughter Games for the control combos.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

I gotta agree with nodahero about the power level of this deck, but I think the shell can actually be viable.

Right now Modern is perfectly set up to get absolutely crushed by Night of Souls' Betrayal, with UR delver melting to it, Splinter twin being unable to kill you through it, Pod being unable to combo you with it out while losing many of their mana dorks, infect having 0 outs, and many more similar situations for other decks. Just in general, if that card resolves you'll win 1/2 your matchups already.

So if you wanted to play this deck, I'd just embrace a card like NoSB and go all in on that strategy. Land hate works much better when Pod's mana dorks don't get to see play. You obviously need to set it up and play it without dying, so hand hate to get through counterspells and survive the first few turns is necessary. Stuff like Golgari Charm/darkblast are still very good to stall or kill 2/2s after you have a NoSB. Also, little known fact, playing a 2nd NoSB will kill off */2 creatures before Legend ruling 1 to death.

The thing you need to do is find new wincons, which is actually a good idea either way since Bloodghast's time has passed, and I don't think Worm harvest has ever been a good win condition. Young Pyromancer is doing way better a job than Worm Harvest at making tokens while not being as reliant on other factors. Manlands are decent, and have more than 1 toughness so can live through NoSB, or maybe try to pack in some more planeswalkers since they'll be partially protected from damage anyway.

In its current state though I don't think this deck is going to do enough.

Small Pox - Young Pyromancer is YP still on the table after resolution. Not sure how hard it would be to pull that off with consistency in the Modern meta but it's a very interesting combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    I gotta agree with nodahero about the power level of this deck, but I think the shell can actually be viable.

Right now Modern is perfectly set up to get absolutely crushed by Night of Souls' Betrayal, with UR delver melting to it, Splinter twin being unable to kill you through it, Pod being unable to combo you with it out while losing many of their mana dorks, infect having 0 outs, and many more similar situations for other decks. Just in general, if that card resolves you'll win 1/2 your matchups already.
    Pod can still combo off through it, but it is harder. If we're talking about Melira/Angel Pod, Spike Feeder+Archangel of Thune is straight out, but Melira+Murderous Redcap/Kitchen Finks can work if you use Cartel Aristocrat instead of Viscera Seer.

As for Kiki-Pod, it only stops Kiki-Jiki+Deceiver Exarch. Kiki-Jiki can still win with Restoration Angel or Zealous Conscripts.

Though if you have two copies of Night of Souls' Betrayal out, then they legitimately just can't combo out at all.

May 2008
    Milwaukee, WI

Night of Soul's Betrayal is legendary. Most likely you won't have two out unless you cheat :P I agree though that night of soul's betrayal is probably the best build around card for these types of strategies though, as it's pretty painful for a fair number of decks currently.
    Playing Punishing Regular Miracles.

Contribute to the community Miracles Primer.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

All true, but putting thumbscrews on the exact cards the opponent can draw generally wins you the game.

Oct 2014
    Denver, CO

I've actually had reasonably good results with this deck concept. I'll post again later once I have more solid data.

Wasn't there a version that ran spellweaver helix?

LOL I'm not sure if there was a deck per se but, yea it was tested. It didn't add much really. It basically acted as a win more more often than not.

Thread Information