Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: On Blue

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Re: On Blue

Quote Originally Posted by testing32 View Post
    Vague and propagandistic.
    It is simply faulty to catagorize cards concerning their colours. Colour as a concept shouldn't matter at all.
    Banning BS would hurt the format at its essential core. I hope that this won't happen.

It is like: "Hey dude, wanna see my blue Water deck? I guess, you cannot beat me with that shitty Fire pile of yours!"

"I'm done trying to "beat the blue decks" with Abzan hate decks and am throwing in the towel and just joining team Brainstorm + Lightning Bolt."
    Sure, follow the mainstream and play Delver.
    WantToPonder
    former: Team SpasticalAction & Team RugStar Berlin
    Team MTG Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by guillemnicolau View Post
    Since the print of dark petition grim tutor hasn't seen play in legacy (not in competitive decks).
    Quote Originally Posted by THerzog41 View Post
    I believe Maverick is still the best deck in the format and definitely the most underrated deck in the format.
    The Dragonstorm
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...he-Dragonstorm

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

A classic DeMars article. Founded like Tom LaPille's B&R explanations
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    A classic DeMars article. Founded like Tom LaPille's B&R explanations
    Wait a second, I have found something hilarious:

"Firstly, Jeskai Stoneblade, U/R Delver, Infect, Sneak and Show, and Deathblade are the best decks in the format by a pretty wide margin."
    That has to be a joke, right?
    WantToPonder
    Team MTG Berlin

Since the print of dark petition grim tutor hasn't seen play in legacy (not in competitive decks).
    I believe Maverick is still the best deck in the format and definitely the most underrated deck in the format.
    The Dragonstorm

Quote Originally Posted by CabalTherapy View Post
    Wait a second, I have found something hilarious:

"Firstly, Jeskai Stoneblade, U/R Delver, Infect, Sneak and Show, and Deathblade are the best decks in the format by a pretty wide margin."
    Yeah.... I'm not sure about that list but I agree with the sentiment. My list would be UWR Stoneblade, Delver and Miracles.

Edit: so, the decks that can run the blue shell + maindeck REBs

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Him not mentioning Miracles, which has been the best deck for most of 2014 and still is, really makes me wonder.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Dec 2011
    Norway

It is simply faulty to catagorize cards concerning their colours. Colour as a concept shouldn't matter at all.
    Why not?

Dec 2011
    Norway

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Him not mentioning Miracles, which has been the best deck for most of 2014 and still is, really makes me wonder.
    Maybe he should have mentioned Miracles instead of Deathblade.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Vicar in a tutu View Post
    Why not?
    Because it's just as random of a method as categorizing by odd or even set numbers. We're talking about enjoying competitive Legacy, which is based on the viability of all major archetypes; not some "I want to be a red mage!" kitchen table desires.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Certainly, a vast mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicar in a tutu View Post
    Why not?
    Where are the benefits of such thinking? I shouldn't answer your question, you should rather explain this thinking which supports the notions of W,U,G,R,B as seperate figures of MTG.
    I don't evaluate cards concerning their colour but in respect to their functionality in a respective deck.
    It's not about colours. One might argue that some people have a "colour identity" which makes them hate on "blue". These are clearly casual MTG features.

Edit: Thank you, Julian.
    Edit2: I think that GPNJ has displayed a healthy meta.
    WantToPonder
    Team MTG Berlin

The Dragonstorm

There is no way shape or form that anybody can argue and convince me of the health of a format where it is correct and necessary to be maindecking Red Elemental Blast in multiples. It means one thing: the color blue is too good in Legacy and there isn't room for other decks to realistically compete.
    That is a terrible argument. I see maindeck Pyroblast as a sign of a healthy, dynamic, self-balancing format. In short, I love it.
    Death and Taxes just took down a SCG Open, but I guess that had to be pure luck, and not because the deck can realistically compete. Nice Pyroblasts.
    Meanwhile, Blighted Agent is suffering heavy splash damage. As is Delver (the card).

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Blue is so strong!
    Blue is played so much!
    Brainstorm is too good!
    Boohoo! Ban Brainstorm!
    *sigh*

Want a healthier format?
    Banning Brainstorm will do nothing at all. It will just be replaced by Preordain.
    Instead try banning the following:

1. Delver of Secrets - which idiot prints the best fast attacker in blue? Really?
    2. Treasure Cruise - blue is played too much, let's print a functional reprint of Ancestral Recall?
    3. True-Name Nemesis - stupid card to begin with, blue creatures should suck.
    4. Sensei's Divining Top - stalling device, we don't need that in Legacy.

You're welcome.

Dec 2011
    Norway

Because it's just as random of a method as categorizing by odd or even set numbers. We're talking about enjoying competitive Legacy, which is based on the viability of all major archetypes; not some "I want to be a red mage!" kitchen table desires.
    I would say the five colours of magic are far more important and integral than measuring set numbers. But of course, you could instead count Delvers, Ponders and Brainstorms. Are there numbers for day 2 of GP New Jersey, the most commonly played cards? Not just in top 32, but all the decks that made it to day 2.

Dec 2011
    Norway

Where are the benefits of such thinking? I shouldn't answer your question, you should rather explain this thinking which supports the notions of W,U,G,R,B as seperate figures of MTG.
    I don't evaluate cards concerning their colour but in respect to their functionality in a respective deck.
    It's not about colours. One might argue that some people have a "colour identity" which makes them hate on "blue". These are clearly casual MTG features.
    This is fair. In truth, I miss playing against more types of decks. I play against Delver decks over and over and over. The different decks could of course be U/x/x, as long as they feel different from Delver deck X or Stoneforge deck Y. Like I've mentioned before, I strongly feel Wizards should print powerful new cards for certain decks (for example Enchantress, Goblins). I've felt like this for a long time, as I'm sure other people have as well. Instead we get True-Name Nemesis and Treasure Cruise. Theros didn't have a single good enchantment in it (enchantment creatures excluded), and I wish Spirit of the Labyrinth was 2/1 flash. Maybe that would have made it too powerful, but there is nothing stopping wizards from printing stronger, instant speed draw-hate in special products.

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

The format is becoming Vintage 2.0, where 30+ cards on your list have to be the same just because of how much better than the rest of the format they are, basically a circlejerk format for blue mages. In the meanwhile, cards much weaker than brainstorm are still on the banned list, but this is all good for WotC because the format becoming as degenerate as possible is good for modern popularity. Printing TC was probably their way to say "fuck eternal formats"

May 2007
    Italy, Eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    Blue is so strong!
    Blue is played so much!
    Brainstorm is too good!
    Boohoo! Ban Brainstorm!
    *sigh*

Want a healthier format?
    Banning Brainstorm will do nothing at all. It will just be replaced by Preordain.
    Instead try banning the following:

1. Delver of Secrets - which idiot prints the best fast attacker in blue? Really?
    2. Treasure Cruise - blue is played too much, let's print a functional reprint of Ancestral Recall?
    3. True-Name Nemesis - stupid card to begin with, blue creatures should suck.
    4. Sensei's Divining Top - stalling device, we don't need that in Legacy.

You're welcome.
    A broken card replaced by a fair card would do nothing? Well, it would empower black discard by a lot, weaken miracle and delvers by a lot, and weaken blue-based combo too. Literally NOTHING

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    A broken card replaced by a fair card would do nothing? Well, it would empower black discard by a lot, weaken miracle and delvers by a lot, and weaken blue-based combo too. Literally NOTHING
    It would do damage to blue-based combo and hurt Delver/Blade-strategies for sure. Would it break the dominance of blue cantrips + fetchlands? No way. All you gain with Brainstorms banning is streamlining decks and 3 rant-free months beforw the bitching about "Ponder/Preordain/SDT + Fetches is so oppressive!" starts again.

Edit: this pattern repeated to damn many times, that I'm just sick of it:

"Ban Survival! It just trumps Zoo and Goblins as a creature strategy! It's overpowered"
    "Ban Misstep! It just invalidates our key spells Nacatl, Goblin Lackey and Aether Vial! It's overpowered"
    "Ban Show & Tell! The creatures put into play just trump the regular T1/2 creatures!"
    "Ban LED! Storm combo just trumps aggressive creature strategies and we don't want to mainboard "narrow" creatures like Thalia or Teeg!"
    "Ban SDT! It's jsed for stalling and to setup overpowered sweepers which just trump linear creature aggro strategies!"
    "Ban Brainstorm! It's unfair that blue has the best card selection! Green should have those ... and echantment/artifact removal ... and efficient threats!"
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Dec 2011
    Norway

Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    It would do damage to blue-based combo and hurt Delver/Blade-strategies for sure. Would it break the dominance of blue cantrips + fetchlands? No way. All you gain with Brainstorms banning is streamlining decks and 3 rant-free months beforw the bitching about "Ponder/Preordain/SDT + Fetches is so oppressive!" starts again.
    The point wouldn't necessarily be to break blue's dominance, but weaken it slightly.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

That read like a post in the B/R thread.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    I see, I see.
    The argument of basically all "rage against the BS" posts is to weaken other decks and make a petdeck playable again.
    Dude, try to innovate the format. You've got all the tools for that. Play another deck or be mad and post in this forum.

Banning BS would make the format less skill-intense which might show parallels to the people favouring a ban.

I'm out of the format related discussions because they give me headaches due to the low-level of arguments and evident discrepancies in experience
    and understanding of the format. I am still supporting the thesis that only a severely small amount of the players understands the format in its unity. (Doesn't mean
    understand each deck and simple stuff like that. Just to make it clear.)

See you, in the established decks forum.
    WantToPonder
    Team MTG Berlin

The Dragonstorm

Thread Information