Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storing Your Collection

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Storing Your Collection

In the past year I've bought a house and gotten married. I'm knocking on 30's door and can't say I'm a young-adult any longer. I'm a grown-ass man with a large collection of cardboard that's probably worth $30K+, and said collection is currently sitting in a couple boxes on the floor of the closet of our spare bedroom. This arrangement is cumbersome, impractical, just plain ugly, and also seems pretty juvenile. I'm thinking I need a piece of furniture to house my collection; some sort of cabinet, dresser, card catalog or chest of drawers. It seems like a good idea because housing the collection will help to keep it organized and keep the cards themselves protected in the event of a fire, leaky roof, or burglary. And, yes, I'd like the room to look better too.

Does anyone have any cool, unique, or just plain practical setups for housing their collections that they're willing to share and maybe post pictures of? I'm very interested to see how other adults in this most-adult format deal with the spacial problems that come with owning tens of thousands of Magic cards.

Do you have a moment to talk about Primeval Titan?

May 2013
    Canada, eh

Re: Storing Your Collection

I keep my collection in boxes on shelves in the closet. It works for me.

Perhaps you could find an old card catalog cabinet from a library and use that. Or maybe commission a nice cabinet to be made for you.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by jrw1985 View Post
    Does anyone have any cool, unique, or just plain practical setups for housing their collections that they're willing to share and maybe post pictures of? I'm very interested to see how other adults in this most-adult format deal with the spacial problems that come with owning tens of thousands of Magic cards.
    https://www.magiccardmarket.eu/
    Works for me.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    I didn't see anything on that site for card storage...

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

I didn't see anything on that site for card storage...
    I'm pretty fine with the "Sell Cards -> List Mixed Cards" section.

In the past year I've bought a house and gotten married. I'm knocking on 30's door and can't say I'm a young-adult any longer. I'm a grown-ass man with a large collection of cardboard that's probably worth $30K+, and said collection is currently sitting in a couple boxes on the floor of the closet of our spare bedroom. This arrangement is cumbersome, impractical, just plain ugly, and also seems pretty juvenile. I'm thinking I need a piece of furniture to house my collection; some sort of cabinet, dresser, card catalog or chest of drawers. It seems like a good idea because housing the collection will help to keep it organized and keep the cards themselves protected in the event of a fire, leaky roof, or burglary. And, yes, I'd like the room to look better too.

A bunch of those for the high value cards and some fat packs case for the rest should work.
    "You either die a Onesto-Player, or live long enough to see yourself become a Dredger"

Simple Jack Daniel's
    Apr 2009
    San Diego, CA

I keep my shit in a pretty standard safe I bought for $99 at Wal-Mart. (Bear in mind that I live in the part of California that catches fire a lot - I was motivated by the fireproof part more than the lock - and some of them have reasonable waterproofing, if you live in the northeast and need that sort of thing.) I got the one whose internal capacity would hold maybe two xbox 360s, and I keep one Monster binder plus a few fat pack boxes in it pretty easily, but there are a couple that are maybe the size of a normal dorm mini-fridge that maybe would suit you better and cost more like $150.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    Terramorphic Expanse combines well with Urborg, tapping all over the place for black mana and then BOOM you fetch a Plains and blow them out with Ramosian Rally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scordata View Post
    Man, why won't the Rock just go away? It doesn't even have any friends.

Like, you know that feeling when you are walking outside and you step in dog shit?
    Thats the exact feeling i have when my opponent opens with Land, Mox diamond, Dark Confidant.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Are you just looking to store them or are you proud enough that you'd want them displayed?
    Are they decks or singles?
    Is it bulk cardboard or staples?

I'm 32 and 4 years married, so I had a head start on you and am almost finished...

First step is figuring out what you want at the end of this... Do you want a whole room dedicated to your hobby (addiction)? Do you want a spare bedroom with a closet no one can use because it is crammed full of cards? Do you want a piece of furniture that is an eye sore to your wife but holds everything?

I (now) have a backpack full of cards and the top shelf of a bookcase dedicated to my collection.

The next step is figuring out what you will use or be happy you still have 5+ years from now... Do you need all the commons and uncommons you opened in that sweet draft a couple months ago? How about all the other commons and uncommons you leaf through once a year, looking for something sweet and realizing it is still all just bulk? Is your trade binder full of awful rares no one cares about? Playsets of awful rares from past projects that never turned into anything?

Most of what makes a typical person's Magic collection unwieldy is the sheer size of it due to all the shitty cards. So part 2 is identifying what you actually want in your collection and selling the rest (I recommend selling it for store credit or putting the cash you get towards staples/reserved list stuff).

I'm down to 3 EDH, 2 Legacy, a cube I'm working on, and a couple casual decks (that are technically modern).

The last step is actually going through with it and trading/selling off all the stuff you know you should part with. If you are putting the money back into the collection then this is its own reward.

I've found this to be very therapeutic in a way. Getting control over a hobby (addition) and turning it into something managable. It also makes it easier to account for everything, determine realistic value quickly, and find the thing you are looking for.

Good luck!

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Most of what makes a typical person's Magic collection unwieldy is the sheer size of it due to all the shitty cards. So part 2 is identifying what you actually want in your collection and selling the rest (I recommend selling it for store credit or putting the cash you get towards staples/reserved list stuff).

I've found this to be very therapeutic in a way. Getting control over a hobby (addiction) and turning it into something managable. It also makes it easier to account for everything, determine realistic value quickly, and find the thing you are looking for.

Good luck!
    Someone set this to stone, please.

If only MKM wasn't such a pain in the ass, it'll be far more pleasant to get rid of the stuff. What I miss is the possibility to sell heaps of unsorted thrash, e.g. "Sell the cube" or something like that.

I planned to buy a tresor, but then I realized that instead of purchasing unwieldy and expensive furniture to place an unwieldy and expensive collection into it, I may simply sell the cards and purchase a thing that makes my life actually more comfortable, like a sofa to sit upon when I want to drink a bottle of wine with my beautiful wife.

Otoh, if I'd be having a Mox or two, I'd definitely purchase a fire-proof, water-proof safe just in case; a big one to store all the necessary guns, documents and credit/Magic cards so that some nightly visit or bad accident doesn't leave you with a great loss and no way how to manage your life in the upcoming days, be it instanto-cash or papers for the insurance company.

Speaking of that, I got my collection in a sport bag whereupon our cat loves to sit and lick her ass while moulting into de-pimped Canadian Thresh.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Sorted by type, then alphabetically. All the cards in the box are archived on a program and spread sheet that is kept on a cloud server. To go into the box, a card must be on a deck list I play or play test with. My dual/fetch lands are kept in their own folder for ease of location without risk of any possible damage that would come from flicking though them. All cards are double sleeved, I change the outer sleeves once a year only on the most commonly used cards.

For the cards that are worth real money (Workshops, Tabernacle and power) I keep in a safe.

Also, yes, they are in a desk draw.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    All the cards in the box are archived on a program and spread sheet that is kept on a cloud server.
    Aren't you afraid someone will hack it and see all your nude selfies? That's my understanding of how the cloud works...

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

I love the naturally ripened tomatoes box in the background. I think we should post more (low) quality pictures of how our life looks like.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I have every set in it's own binder (some of the old sets I have by block, but eventually I'll redo those). Keeps everything very organized.

I built 4 sets of bookshelves where the bottom rows are for the Magic binders.
    Last edited by H; 11-29-2014 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Autocorrect being stupid...
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    —Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

just get a couple of binders and sort the cards into them.
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Legacy/modern playables that are worth more than a couple bucks go into an enormous 4" 3-ring binder. I should probably split it by this point, but eh.

All other commons/uncommons/rares are sorted by set/color/alphabet and go into big card storage "pizza boxes" slotted into a wire shelf. I don't care about the look of the wire shelf, it's in a closet, but I'm not married either.

I keep one trade binder with Standard trade stuff and one with EDH plus what little legacy/modern I have spares enough of to trade.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.”
    -David DeLaney

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Two deckboxes and a single binder.

I usually sell and buy the stuff I don't need/do need. I don't have unlimited space, as well as a girlfriend who is very resistent to the looks of magic cards.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    This is a bad idea.

I used to have an extensive collection but sold it. Now because of the inflation of card prices, I can't even buy an Underground Sea with the money I got selling a playset of them 3-4 years ago.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    This is a bad idea.

I used to have an extensive collection but sold it. Now because of the inflation of card prices, I can't even buy an Underground Sea with the money I got selling a playset of them 3-4 years ago.
    Obviously you keep duals. You always keep duals, forces as well as wastes, but the rest is basically stock prices.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Quasim0ff View Post
    Obviously you keep duals. You always keep duals, forces as well as wastes, but the rest is basically stock prices.
    Too late. I did keep my FoWs/Wastelands/LEDs though.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    This is a bad idea.
    Depends on what you want to do with your life.
    Frankly, it's quite impossible to quit completely if you keep even one mere card, and the everchanging metagame prevents anyone from keeping "the last 75" (which in fact are more like "the last roughly 150"), if he only plans to occasionally visit a tourney when there'd be nothing else to do. Sadly, this experience is more true than I ever thought and keeping the one last deck (with some sb stuff and a dozen of cards to mix things up sometimes) simply does not work.

Yeah, that sucks. I guess you bought them cheaper than you sold them, so you still profited. It's really about the reasons why you did that and what do you plan for future.

Thread Information