Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Storing Your Collection

Oct 2011
    Denmark

Re: Storing Your Collection

Having a relatively valuable Collection, that thankfully doesnt contain that many Cards, i have a bankbox, for the stuff i rarely need to put my hands on, then two binders of tradestuff and a handfull of deckboxes at my house.

i then have 7 binders of deckconstruction stuff, but all of that is less than 20$ a Card.

if i go anywhere, the trade binders and deckboxes go in the bank box too.

my solution leaves me relatively safe, and is cheaper than added Insurance.

I have no risk of Water/fire.
    "Brainstorm and Fetchlands are interesting although I don't know if Brainstorms alone are worth it right now, because Stifle is a common card. " -Peddi 2015.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

My collection is definitely the most valuable thing I own. In fact, far from wanting to show it off, I have become secretive about what is in it. I do not want others to know when I have it with me. The cards are totally organized in several giant boxes. I have two levels of cards. I have the oft used and potentially good ones in one set. The crappy ones that have been rendered obsolete or otherwise bad are kept in a dark closet, and I rarely bother with those except to add cards. I am rather concerned about the cards, frankly. I am constantly messing with the contents of these boxes and they travel with me from time to time.

Using this system I have lost literally thousands of dollars in cards.
    They have been stolen.
    Or misplaced.
    Or vanished into thin air through some mephistophelic magic <- most likely.

I can't even imagine a fire, hurricane, or other disaster. Get a better system.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

It seems like most players here are content with a closet chock-full of cards or a slim collection. It's kinda surprising. I was really expecting some sweet cabinets overflowing with cardboard.

Oct 2011
    Denmark

i have no motivation to have worthless stuff laying around. Im not a collector, i play legacy and want to be able to build all the decks.

I have two trade binders, and finished decks, indcluding a seriously pimped one.
    "Brainstorm and Fetchlands are interesting although I don't know if Brainstorms alone are worth it right now, because Stifle is a common card. " -Peddi 2015.

I found that magazine file boxes nicely hold 4-5 monster binders. This changed my binder life. They're no longer stacked about or falling over.

I'm slowly working toward having my entire collection in one such box. Until then, most things are in an unorganized pile of the white cardboard boxes.

Legacy playables are in binders (large ones) sorted by Color then type then CMC
    Color being one of [ Token, artifacts, multicolor, lands, B,U,G,W,R ]
    it is very efficient to build decks.

rares / uncommons are in a box sorted by color
    commons are in boxes by color.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Legacy playables in one binder and trade fodder in another, both in a large safe in the basement. Still need to get around to bolting it to the floor, but it's easily over 100lbs so I'm not toooooooo worried about it disappearing.

Everything else lives in a card hotel sorted by color/rarity/alphabetically...or all over a card table in my office waiting to be sorted. I've been looking for one of those old library card catalogs, but they tend to be "antique" and therefore absurdly expensive.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I'm in the process of "bindering" cards that are floating around in partially built decks in an assortment of deck boxes.

Step 1: Sort chaff from playables. 90% Done. About once every two years unload the chaff for store credit at bulk rates. Nobody needs this shit laying around the house.
    Step 2: Sort by color. 90% done.
    Step 3: Binderize them into 4 pocket pages. While less efficient due to space limitation I can get a better gauge at what sets are currently in decks. I can also isolate binders for format (Vintage, Legacy, etc), color, or archetype. Fun Fact: Vintage MUD has over 160 playable cards across all its variations.
    Step 4: fire proof safe, tucked into my spare bedroom closet.

For stuff thats worth keeping but isnt part of the Binder system will go into longboxes or Fat pack boxes and stores deep into the closet with some sort of easy way of remembering whats in it. Maybe a spreadsheet?
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Speaking of storing.

Have you guys seen this

http://www.patriotgames.ltd.uk/store...by-Deck-Tutor/

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Star|Scream View Post
    Speaking of storing.

Have you guys seen this

https://www.massdrop.com/vote/card-b...=four%20binder
    Have we seen limited access websites? Nope, i closed the tab from boredom staring at "must login to continue".
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Have we seen limited access websites? Nope, i closed the tab from boredom staring at "must login to continue".
    Fixed. sheesh

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Fixed. sheesh
    It's a pretty rad idea, but christ, $50 for a binder?

I'd rather see one that just has 10 pockets per page so I can get all my duals and fetches together at last. Of course, I'm the kind of dirty pleb that will just jam 4 Seas into the same pocket, which is probably cringe-worthy for some people.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Yeah, I really like the idea, I would love to have one to keep all my Vintage-playable foils in, but having to order it over-seas is a definite turn off for me.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    I have two levels of cards.
    The crappy ones that have been rendered obsolete or otherwise bad are kept in a dark closet, and I rarely bother with those except to add cards.
    The better to shame them.

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Yeah, I really like the idea, I would love to have one to keep all my Vintage-playable foils in, but having to order it over-seas is a definite turn off for me.
    It was on massdrop for a while for $35. Oh well

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

It was on massdrop for a while for $35. Oh well
    I saw they said if they get 200 requests they'd try to get them again. I have no clue if it would be that price again though.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

I just have a 750 box (or something) for Legacy Staples/used stuff (sorted by manacost.) I.E. anything that I've put into a legacy deck or only own because of legacy is in that box or in a deck I use. Everything else that's chaff is sorted by color and manacost into a 3200 box; mostly for casual stuff I may or may not ever put together.

This box will be placed in my safe once it's bolted in my current home. (I also am in the late 20's with a significant other, just recently bought my house. Cheers to muh brothers!)

I've only done a couple of sealed/draft type things so the chaff I've ended up with that I'd not even use in casual is thin. My lady bought a box at Goodwill recent of a bunch of odyssey chaff (?) for like $5; it had a mint Standstill and a mint Reanimate! Anyway; so stuff like that just goes into another non-descript box for possible garbage-drafting. (I.E. let's draft unplayables!)

I was mostly a casual-multiplayer player for most of my mtg career, so the 3200 box is just enough to keep all that stuff contained in a semi-organized way for hotfixing or building a spur-of-the-moment "a-ha" kind of deck. I keep about 5 of the things active at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Thread Information