Thread: The Tetris Effect

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

The Tetris Effect

The Tetris effect (also known as Tetris Syndrome) occurs when people devote so much time and attention to an activity that it begins to pattern their thoughts, mental images, and dreams. It is named after the video game Tetris.
    Last night I had a dream in which I was piloting some Aggro Loam brew, but there was a land in it that had something like "T: Sac to deal 2 damage to target creature or player for each Steakhouse you control". I remember checking the type on Badlands, then realizing "of course it's not a Steakhouse, why am I running this shit?"

Where have you caught Magic slipping into your subconscious?
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

Re: The Tetris Effect

Happens to me a lot around big events.

During an SCG, I got out of line at McDonald's because I realized that food costs at least but I couldn't afford that because I'm only playing Blue and White.

There was a fantastic story about something similar on reddit here

I once went a month where every email I sent to a manager in my company (which was a lot at the time), I used the name of a magic card in the subject line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

I almost never dream of actual playing.

Here's what I dream about constantly:

• Finding tons of beta power/duals at a garage sale
    • Being gifted tons of miscut foils and non-foils
    "I made a Redguard that looks like Kimbo Slice. He wrecks peoples' shit. And dragons." - Bignasty197

Cabal Therapist
    Oct 2010
    Colchester, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    Last night I had a dream in which I was piloting some Aggro Loam brew, but there was a land in it that had something like "T: Sac to deal 2 damage to target creature or player for each Steakhouse you control". I remember checking the type on Badlands, then realizing "of course it's not a Steakhouse, why am I running this shit?"

After one magic binge weekend, I remember once having a dream about where I just went through a completely normal and uneventful day except everyone could "counterspell" things at their will. In the dream this was a totally normal thing and no one (including myself) thought "countering" a barking dog or dropped glass of water was anything out of the ordinary.

I had a big inside joke with an ex-girlfriend, apparently I was asleep one night and she was a little turned on so she stuck her hand down my pants (presumably in hopes of waking me up for sex) but I just shouted "don't touch my lands!" and rolled away from her. She told me the story the next day and was almost crying from laughing so hard, and she'd subtly bring the phrase up in conversations and we'd lose it regularly.

I'm a psychologist and there is a word on the vocabulary section of one of the intellectual measures I use that is the name of a magic card. I often catch myself surprised when they do not say what that card does, and provide the definition of the word instead.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Fucking happened again. Last night dreamt that I was at a weekly with .dk, who was explaining his UB to UW transformative sideboard for Tezzerator. Then we decided to head to another store in town for a bigger event. By plane. And I forgot my deck box.

I haven't even played since the GP...what the hell?

On a more serious note, I tend to look at projects at work like deck building a lot. It's a good mind set to be in to focus on the big picture and avoid feature creep or getting too cute (danger of cool things is ever present in IT).
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by HammerAndSickled View Post
    I had a big inside joke with an ex-girlfriend, apparently I was asleep one night and she was a little turned on so she stuck her hand down my pants (presumably in hopes of waking me up for sex) but I just shouted "don't touch my lands!" and rolled away from her. She told me the story the next day and was almost crying from laughing so hard, and she'd subtly bring the phrase up in conversations and we'd lose it regularly.
    This is the best. "Don't touch my lands!"

Despite thinking obsessively about this game, I can't recall ever having it enter my dreams.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I've had multiple dreams (that I can remember) of me losing my Vintage deck. Of course, I did once nearly lose my Vintage deck (left it on the table after a round and went out to my car) but luckily it was exactly where I had left it.

Usually the dream turns lucid, but I recall at least once where I was really relieved to wake up from it. I very rarely remember my dreams though, so who knows what's been going on most of the time...
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by HammerAndSickled View Post

Do you have a moment to talk about Primeval Titan?

May 2013
    Canada, eh

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post

Constant nightmares of spinning Sensei's Divining Top to look for a card and being aware so that I wasn't fully asleep. It went on for a week before a large tournament.

Thread Information