Thread: 1st place in the Ingolstadt Legacy Tournament with #ELVES

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

1st place in the Ingolstadt Legacy Tournament with #ELVES

Won the Ingolstadt Legacy Event today, piloting a rather stock list with an old allstar in the sideboard.

R1: Manaless Dredge - WIN 2:0
    I had Scavenging Ooze turn2 each game, once natural and once NO'ed for. My strategy in this matchup is to always just go for the business cards, so I eat every Ichorid, Narcomoeba and Nether Shadow, while allowing him to dredge as much as he wants. It works. I win.
    He didn't know you could choose to be on the draw so he played first game2..

R2: Food Chain - WIN 2:0
    Game1 he fails to find his Food Chain until I kill him on turn4. Game2 I have 2x Abrupt Decay and 1x Krosan Grip along with Glimpse, Natural Order, Glimpse, an Elf and a Nettle Sentinel+Quirion Ranger in play. I can't value-Glimpse because that would leave me unable to cast Abrupt Decay or Krosan Grip on his turn. I Draw-Go for 2 turns until he drops Food Chain, which I Decay. I still only attack with the two Elves. He goes for it on his next turn and drops Food Chain with Misthollow Griffin already exiled. In response to the Griffin, I Abrupt Decay his Food Chain. He Brainstorms into Misdirection and redirects Decay to my Nettle Sentinel. I Krosan Grip his Food Chain. Food Chain is destroyed. On my turn I value-Glimpse into lethal damage onboard. He untaps, casts Wall of Blossoms and fails to find his 3rd Food Chain. I attack. He dies. I win.
    At one point he cascades into Brainstorm, then puts the two cards for Brainstorm on the bottom(!) of his library. I correct him.

R3: Shardless Vengevine Madness - WIN 2:0
    The only way I am able to lose to him is if he gets to Intuition for 3 Vengine on my turn, then untaps into them, so I develop my board much slower than I could have. Instead I keep up DRS+Quirion Ranger at all times. It works as his hand is just some cantrips, Shardless Agents and a Decay. He eventually loses to Natural Order. Game2 he has 2 Engineered Plague but it's not enough. I Reclamation Sage one of them and ignore the other. He loses to overwhelming forces and hardcast Behemoth.

R4: Deathblade - WIN - WIN 2:0
    Game1 is super easy as Deathblade is way too clunky to really put Elves into much danger. Game2 he brings in more mass removal. His first land is a basic Island. On turn2 he fetches for Scrubland, then casts DRS. I decide to Abrupt Decay his DRS because unless he just topdecked the DRS, doesn't have a 3rd land. I am correct and he just plays SFM on turn3 and passes. I cast Natural Order. It resolves. He loses. I win.

R5: 12 Post Miracles - ID, Played it out, won 2:0
    He plays regular 12 Post with 4 Terminus. We decide to ID, but he really wants to play it out so we do. G1 I Natural Order him out on turn3. Game2 I draw 4 extra cards and put 9 Elves to the table on turn2 without Glimpse. His only out is to Crop Rotation for a white source, then blindly Brainstorm into Terminus on my turn. He tries. He fails. I win.

I'm first after the Swiss. There are 3 Miracles in the Top8, ALL of which in my bracket. I try to retroactively concede the 5th round of the swiss but of course the judge doesn't allow that

Quarterfinals: Miracles - WIN 2:0
    Game1 I go first. Seeing him shuffling after Ponder twice I sense weakness and put 3 guys to the table. On my next turn I cast Craterhoof Behemoth. He only has Brainstorm as a pitch-card for Force. He instead Brainstorms in response, hoping to find a pitch card, which he didn't. I win. I think it was still correct for him to do it this way as he *really* needed to put his Terminus on top; otherwise he would just lose to regular beatodwn. Game2 he accidentally draws another card after naturally miracling a Entreat the Angels on his turn4. We call a judge and he is issued a game loss. I win.

Semifinals: Miracles - WIN 2:0
    Game1 I'm just to fast while he makes a mistake with his Ponder, putting back cards in the incorrect order. Game2 I destroy him as hard as I have never ever destroyed a Miracles player. Null Rod, Choke, vaue-Glimpsing for 7, Sylvan Library - all of which in play. Krosan Grip and 6 more cards in hand. He manages to Terminus into Jace, but then I Choke all of his 4 Islands. Jace doesn't get there. I win.

Finals: UWr Delver - WIN 2:1
    He plays UWr Delver with Young Pyromancer, Snapcaster Mage and True-Name Nemesis but not Stoneforge Mystics. Game1 has has some removal, permission and cantrips but his only pressure is a turn4 Young Pyromancer, which is the only reason I'm still in the game. He quickly ups the pressure with 3 Delvers, a Snapcaster Mage and Treasure Cruise. I see zero mana acceleration that game so I have to slowly advance my board with Wirewood Symbiotes, Elvish Visionary, Nettle Sentinel and Quirion Ranger. Pendelhaven was the MVP of this game, allowing for some great blocks. On my very last turn and on 1 life I go for Natural Order. To my surprise it resolves. I win.
    Game2 is basically a copy of game1..except for his turn1 Delver which this time seals the deal. This was the only game I dropped over the entire tournament.
    Game3 he keeps a 1-lander with Delver. I have some acceleratio, more Elves and Wirewood Symbiote on the board turn2, but he FoWs (pitch Snapcaster) my turn2 Elvish Visionary. When he fails to make his second landrop I immediately think that he must have Electrickery because there must be a reason he kept Basic Island+Delver. So instead of just GSZ'ing for Elvish Visionary to continously develop my board, I instead Natural Order right away. It resolves. I win. Again.

In the end I'm 16-1 in games played. As a reward, the storekeeper hands me a Revised Tundra. I like.

This is the list I played:

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Quirion Ranger
    4 Nettle Sentinel
    4 Wirewood Symbiote
    4 Elvish Visionary
    3 Heritage Druid
    2 Craterhoof Behemoth
    1 Birchlore Rangers
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Scavenging Ooze

4 Glimpse of Nature
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Natural Order

4 Gaea's Cradle
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills
    2 Bayou
    2 Forest
    2 Dryad Arbor
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Pendelhaven

SB:
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Thoughtseize
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Choke
    2 Krosan Grip
    1 Null Rod
    1 Sylvan Library

Krosan Grips, even though I ended up not really needing them vs Miracles still felt super strong. As in, incredibly strong and maybe even better than Needle. Maybe it's the next level of beating Miracles considering they are really heavy on Artifact/Enchantment removal these days. I know that Philipp Schönegger is looking into adding a 2nd Wear/Tear to his SB so I guess it's only a matter of time until the rest of the field will do the same. Not having Needle hurts your Sneak Show matchup but I wouldn't worry too much about that anyways these days.

Keep Glimpsing, guys. Good night
    Last edited by Julian23; 12-07-2014 at 09:05 AM.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Jan 2010
    Germany

Re: 1st place in the Ingolstadt Legacy Tournament with #ELVES

Very nice run! Congrats!

Nice report Julian! I hope the Tundra (formerly mine) is enough for this great victory!

Nice quote vs Miracles in the Semi-Finals: "...but then I Choke all of his 4 Islands. Jace doesn't get there. I win."

Unfortunately I didn't make Top 8 (ninth place) but that was fine because I didn't fail the L1 Judge test which took place there during the Top 8 rounds.

I hope we'll meet each other at the next legacy tournament in Ingolstadt (10.01.2015).

Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

We will :-)
    4. Stifle Standstill.

Ever miss Progenitus?

Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Only for one game in the finals where it would have won. But in general: yes, sometimes.
    4. Stifle Standstill.

Thread Information