Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Article]Eternal Europe: Yet Another Ten To Play

[Article]Eternal Europe: Yet Another Ten To Play

Well, I got to the cards on my mind threshold again :)

http://www.starcitygames.com/article...In-Legacy.html
    I don't have low self-esteem, I have low esteem for everyone else. -Daria

Proud member of Team CAB
    High Priest of the Church of BLA

CAB JaceTM

My articles

Re: [Article]Eternal Europe: Yet Another Ten To Play

What are some cards to play to ensure I always have these cards in hand when they are right for the current game state? Any thoughts on how I could maybe exchange them for other cards if they currently do nothing? How can I see more cards in my deck to make sure I can find these cards when I need them.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    What are some cards to play to ensure I always have these cards in hand when they are right for the current game state? Any thoughts on how I could maybe exchange them for other cards if they currently do nothing? How can I see more cards in my deck to make sure I can find these cards when I need them.

Thanks.
    Please do not turn this thread into a rant about Brainstorm with the first fucking comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    Please do not turn this thread into a rant about Brainstorm with the first fucking comment.
    Calm down... I'm sure he was only referencing Gamble, Intuition, Trinket mage, Tolaria West, Enlightened Tutor, and Green Sun's Zenith.

Incidentally, I really like life from the loam, and playing that works best when you have Intuition and Enlightened tutor in your deck. Alongside some wastelands, explorations, thespian's stages, and dark depths.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

What do you look for with E-Tutor in LftL deck?

Nov 2007
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    What do you look for with E-Tutor in LftL deck?
    What an odd question as it could be absolutely anything from EE to Spirit of the labyrinth, but I would go with any artifact or enchantment that you included in your deck that suits your immediate in-game needs the best.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Hopo View Post
    What an odd question as it could be absolutely anything from EE to Spirit of the labyrinth, but I would go with any artifact or enchantment that you included in your deck that suits your immediate in-game needs the best.
    Thanks for sharing the tech. I can has reading, though, so it's not exactly surprising what does the ET do, I was interested what is the usual package.
    Flames removed. -zilla

Nov 2007
    Finland

I was interested what is the usual package.
    What "usual package" do you mean? It's not like "LftL decks" are some homogenous carbon copies of each other. Try Seismic Assault, Exploration or Manabond for starters and continue with any silver bullets imaginable.

Flames removed. -zilla
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

I thought the closing statement was the best part, "there are holes to exploit in the format" vs. the narrative of about 6 posters here which is, "Brainstorm is killing the format! Ignore strategic diversity and attendance!"

First off, the e-tutor splash in loam decks is usually just in 4 color loam or as a splash in RUG lands, RG lands rarely makes the splash for e-tutor when they already have gamble.

My usual targets are pithing needle, crucible of worlds, ensnaring bridge, (mox diamond, exploration), chalice of the void, trinisphere. Any/all of those are usually options to find with e-tutor out of the board. Also ethersworn canonist is fairly common in the white splash.

Also, HOPO, while I approve of baiting the trolls, I'm OK with answering legitimate questions from them. BDP isn't *always* a source of nonsense, he can be quite intelligent when he forgets about hating brainstorm while writing his posts.

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

ScOoze seems like it could have some trouble playing nice with your DRS, depending on what deck you're up against. Personally, I just want to see people start running Root Maze or Tsabo's Web. I'd also love to see some mention of the Snapcaster/Surgical Extraction lists that have been popping up around the New Deck forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    ... It feels like a bummer to spend so much time not talking about the game and more time arguing over whether Dega or Mardu is the better name for a three color deck you'll never see in Legacy.

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by amalek0 View Post
    First off, the e-tutor splash in loam decks is usually just in 4 color loam or as a splash in RUG lands, RG lands rarely makes the splash for e-tutor when they already have gamble.

My usual targets are pithing needle, crucible of worlds, ensnaring bridge, (mox diamond, exploration), chalice of the void, trinisphere. Any/all of those are usually options to find with e-tutor out of the board. Also ethersworn canonist is fairly common in the white splash.

Also, HOPO, while I approve of baiting the trolls, I'm OK with answering legitimate questions from them. BDP isn't *always* a source of nonsense, he can be quite intelligent when he forgets about hating brainstorm while writing his posts.
    Thanks, that's what interested me.

I tried the UGB Intuition Loam in MWS some time ago, and I played Aggro Loam regularly, although long before KotR and stuff changed the deck.

I wanted to ask if you find it reasonable to splash white into a few builds and I also wanted to ask about your opinion on some cards, but then I reread the rest of your post and kinda lost any interest in further discussion.

Btw, I don't hate Brainstorm.
    I'm ambivalent about Brainstorm, because I acknowledge its extreme power, yet I'm not sure it should be banned already.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

If I grok it correctly, between this article and the other one, Karsten makes the argument which roughly translates to "the cards you guys sleeve up are the ones that define the metagame. Here are a bunch of cards you could be playing instead of parroting decklists someone told you were Tier 1."

In a sense, there's a logic to that - if you build to hate out the cursed Blue lists, then they can't flourish. If you can do it while also rocking a sweet rogue deck, you're officially not Part Of The Problem.

It may very well be the case that there's a confirmation bias at play when it comes to how high on the totem pole BS and friends actually are. If the meta is lousy with Thomas the Tank Engine decks, you'll be sadmad when you eventually get 1L even if you had 3W, and you'll say "ah! there it is. that busted-ass Blue engine running roughshod over me again". Even though it's your first loss of the day and yes, your other opponents had their Blue splash decks on the table and you won against them, your loss means more to you than your win, and you'll incorrectly point to the match in a vacuum instead of going, "oh, sure I lost to a deck playing Brainstorm. 7 of 10 decks apparently have 4 Brainstorm in them these days."

I mean it's possible that there's a great deck just sitting lying in wait and nobody is playing it, right -- we could all be delusional and operating under a false premise about some ancient card from Prophesy that smears the windshield of every Brainstorm parrot, but we don't actually see the deck because cards tend to be subjectively strong or weak, not objectively. And the more time people spend falling in line and pissing into the wind, the longer it'll take for us to collectively "discover" the deck. Like monkeys trying to write a novel or whatever, only with Magic cards. (maybe that's a bit more like the flawed '747 in a junkyard tornado' argument, but I'm trying to see the other side of the coin here)

Now, if it is true that cards are better measured by their subjective power (power in a metagame, power in their deck, power in any given deck, and so on) as opposed to some objective measure that may or may not exist (as if it were always better to draw three cards than to deal three damage -- which 40/20 list wins first, Lightning Bolt/Mountain or Brainstorm/Island) then it doesn't matter whether a metagame is in an "artificial" state or not - it's whatever it is, it's just "the decks people played that day".
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    If I grok it correctly...
    I believe you either grok something or you don't. I don't think you can grok something "correctly".
    By definition - if you grok it, you do so correctly...

Either way, you wrote a perfectly cromulent post.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I am not disagreeing with the idea, but the opposite side of this "hidden technology" is that it can possibly exist or not exist. I don't think either of these things is a given. There may well be some hidden deck out there that can out-preform Brainstorm based decks in the long-term, but I think the odds are against that.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Play Deed. Nuke the World.
    Oct 2010

Hmm . . . I like Boseiju . . . particularly in Maverick (Hello Thalia! Thanks for helping Boseiju get my noncreature nonlands through ^_^) and Nic Fit (similar, except probably a better fit due to typically having less creatures and more noncreatures).

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by EpicLevelCommoner View Post
    Hmm . . . I like Boseiju . . . particularly in Maverick (Hello Thalia! Thanks for helping Boseiju get my noncreature nonlands through ^_^) and Nic Fit (similar, except probably a better fit due to typically having less creatures and more noncreatures).
    Pretty sure Boseiju has no interaction with Thalia. Her effect doesn't actually counter anything, just changes the total cost. It can push things through Nether Void though.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Hopo View Post
    What "usual package" do you mean? It's not like "LftL decks" are some homogenous carbon copies of each other. Try Seismic Assault, Exploration or Manabond for starters and continue with any silver bullets imaginable.

Flames removed. -zilla
    I played a Junk loam deck with tutors for Exploration, crucible, EE, and even a spicy Smokestack. Needless to say I didn't win much with that deck
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Play Deed. Nuke the World.
    Oct 2010

Pretty sure Boseiju has no interaction with Thalia. Her effect doesn't actually counter anything, just changes the total cost. It can push things through Nether Void though.
    That's the thing: she makes the total cost one colorless more, and Boseiju provides only one colorless mana. Thus, in exchange for making your own spells more expensive, they can't be countered unless you didn't use Boseiju to pay for it.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Works okay with Blood Funnel. vOv
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Thread Information