Thread: [Article] Stormy in Seatown

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

[Article] Stormy in Seatown

My first article for Card Kingdom is up! http://www.moxboardinghouse.com/stor...-invitational/

I talk about Storm and my 8-0 Legacy performance at the recent SCG Invi in Seattle. Check it out!
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

Re: [Article] Stormy in Seatown

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmutant View Post
    Miracles is traditionally considered to be Storm’s nemesis, though the matchup is not as bad as people think and is actually rather skill-intensive and interesting.
    SO GLAD YOU SAID THAT. Too many people I've talked to imagine it being like "Herp derp counterbalance MIRACLES WINS!" even postboard. But I know these people just haven't actually played the MU since I've actually played it a good amount from both sides and its just like you said really. All and all I enjoyed reading about your thought process and getting some ANT tips. Good job!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysandros View Post
    I'm a crusty "old" player who would play nothing but Vintage, Legacy and 93/94 if I could, so I'm probably biased...but I'll never understand the draw to Modern. It's the Communist Soviet Union of MtG formats.
    In regards to Legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimoirePath View Post
    I dont know, I guess I like the anarchistic, outlaw format that allows everything and can thrive with or without the papal blessing.

Long Live Maverick
    Dec 2012
    Kennesaw, GA, USA

Nice report, I'm glad you chose to focus on the mindset you have to approach each matchup with while sideboarding, that's a great topic that doesn't get a lot of attention.
    Tusk up.
    (Not so) Current Decks: GB Elves, GW Maverick, GWb Maverick, LED Dredge, ANT, TES, Jund Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonslayer_90 View Post
    SO GLAD YOU SAID THAT. Too many people I've talked to imagine it being like "Herp derp counterbalance MIRACLES WINS!" even postboard. But I know these people just haven't actually played the MU since I've actually played it a good amount from both sides and its just like you said really. All and all I enjoyed reading about your thought process and getting some ANT tips. Good job!
    To be fair, if you're a Counterbalance deck with a reasonable clock, you probably beat combo. They have to plow through your CB or else die to your beats.

Of course, Miracles doesn't have a reasonable clock.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Hello VClique/Meddling Mage naming Decay
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Congrats, dude. That's a great performance.

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmutant View Post
    For a long time, the “stock list” as championed by Adam Prosak had 4 70478_1Preordains, no Grim Tutor, only six discard spells, and most heinous of all, 2 Gemstone Mines. Those are all wrong. Preordain is not actually a good card; you would rather be spending your mana on almost anything else. It serves to fill out the ideal ANT sequence of turn 1 cantrip, turn 2 either kill them or cantrip into discard, into turn 3 combo, but is worse than the other cantrips by a very noticeable margin. The easiest way to lose is to not draw any Infernal Tutors or have them Surgically Extracted, so drawing Grim Tutor is great (despite how bad the card is). Gemstone Mine Wastelands itself after a few uses and means you can’t play as many fetch lands or duals. The only good thing it does is enable more consistent access to the colors of your sideboard cards, but it’s only necessary if your sideboard cards are a bevy of different colors. Instead, my sideboard splash is very minimal and concentrated on green. There are no extraneous red cards like Lightning Bolt or Ignorant Bliss, only the very few green cards that provide a unique enough effect to go outside blue and black.
    Amusingly, I think Prosak went X-0 tonight -- I imagine with Preordains and Gemstone Mines and Ignorant Bliss. Two Storm lords, two techniques.

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

"Seriously, you’re going to tell me that you don’t want to play with Black Lotus, Demonic Tutor, Yawgmoth’s Will, and Yawgmoth’s Bargain (Lion’s Eye Diamond, Infernal Tutor, Past in Flames, and Ad Nauseam, respectively) when people are messing around with creatures that produce incremental value?"

"I was trying to fight with or directly against the same tepid decks, when instead, I should just be playing a completely different game."

"Interacting on a different axis from how Magic games play out nowadays can give us a huge edge."
    This is exactly why I love to storm. Great article.
    A book about the dark side of Legacy: "Magic: The Addiction" // Conversations with Magic players: "Humans of Magic"

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Plague Sliver View Post
    "Seriously, you’re going to tell me that you don’t want to play with Black Lotus, Demonic Tutor, Yawgmoth’s Will, and Yawgmoth’s Bargain (Lion’s Eye Diamond, Infernal Tutor, Past in Flames, and Ad Nauseam, respectively) when people are messing around with creatures that produce incremental value?"

"I was trying to fight with or directly against the same tepid decks, when instead, I should just be playing a completely different game."

"Interacting on a different axis from how Magic games play out nowadays can give us a huge edge."
    This is exactly why I love to storm. Great article.
    Is it okay if I like playing with Tinker, Ancestral, Demonic and Academy instead? ;_;
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Is it okay if I like playing with Tinker, Ancestral, Demonic and Academy instead? ;_;
    Then you will have to play elves with :
    Tinker ==> NO,
    Ancestral ==> Glimpse,
    Demonic ==> GSZ,
    Academy ==> Gaea's Cradle.

Not that these replacements are all quite good and effective, but you have to play a bunch of crappy 1/1 around to make it work :)

It's not easy being green

Jul 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    Then you will have to play elves with :
    Tinker ==> NO,
    Ancestral ==> Glimpse,
    Demonic ==> GSZ,
    Academy ==> Gaea's Cradle.

Not that these replacements are all quite good and effective, but you have to play a bunch of crappy 1/1 around to make it work :)
    Ask people how much they like Wirewood Symbiote :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

Dec 2010
    Beijing/Shenzhen

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    To be fair, if you're a Counterbalance deck with a reasonable clock, you probably beat combo. They have to plow through your CB or else die to your beats.

Of course, Miracles doesn't have a reasonable clock.
    I even won a nearly unwinnable game when my opponent set up counter-top lock last night...

http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=15507&iddeck=115328 but this list seems really annoying...
    Team Blood, Beijing.
    Currently play: Sneaky Show/ Lands

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Thanks for the warm words, everyone

Haha fair, many legacy staples are similar to Vintage restricted cards.

I'm hoping to make this content a regular thing. I need to confirm with CardKingdom and get cracking on a new article!
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

Thread Information