Thread: trinisphere and omniscience

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

trinisphere and omniscience

What is the rule on this. Which one supersedes

Re: trinisphere and omniscience

Tri(well,except convoke and delve) always win. So , you still have to pay three even though Omniscience makes everything free.

Quote Originally Posted by KobeBryan View Post
    What is the rule on this. Which one supersedes
    Omniscience is an alternate cost. The Trinisphere adds to that cost since it's <3.

Looking at the card on the gatherer page is a good start which in this case answers your question fully.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Ca...iverseid=43545

"Even with a cost reducer on the battlefield, spells can't cost less than three mana to cast."

Follow this golden rule:
    Cost/alternate cost + additional costs - cost reductions + Trinishpere's effect = final cost

You will have to pay at least 3, color of mana doesn't matter, for every spell you cast from your hand with Omniscience while Trinisphere is in play and untapped. As a reminder, with Omniscience you cannot play cards with flasback costs and cards that can be played from the graveyard for free without paying their respective costs since Omniscience applies only to cards played from your hand.

Convoke and Delve do not alter the cost of the spell and Trinisphere's effect is applied before you use the delve ability to exile cards instead of paying for generic mana. So Treasure Cruise and Dig Through Time can be payed with U and UU using their delve ability under Trinisphere.

Trinisphere also has no effect on the Transmute ability of a card since you do not actually cast the spell.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSettler View Post
    Jesus H Cardsheet died for your NFC sins.

Quote Originally Posted by death View Post
    Follow this golden rule:
    Cost/alternate cost + additional costs - cost reductions + Trinishpere's effect = final cost
    "Final cost" (technical term is total cost) is what Trinisphere affects, and why it affects anything that isn't mana abilities (or things that are used at the same time as mana abilities - delve, convoke). It checks whether the total cost is at least 3 mana, and if it isn't, makes it 3 mana.
    Last edited by cdr; 12-19-2014 at 03:41 PM.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    You seem to be implying that delve and convoke happens before trinisphere's effect, which is not the case since the changes to delve/convoke
    I said the opposite, actually.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    I said the opposite, actually.
    My apologies, I've parsed your sentence incorrectly
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    My apologies, I've parsed your sentence incorrectly
    NP, I tried to clarify the sentence a little.
    -David DeLaney

Dec 2014
    Utica, NY

Ok, so I cast S&T and put Omniscience into play; my opponent puts Trinisphere in play. Now, I want to cast Dig Through Time. If I'm reading all this right, Omni reduces the cost to zero, then Trinisphere says no, it costs 3. THEN, I delve 3 cards from my graveyard to pay for Dig, and so it goes on the stack. Is that correct?

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by shawntown View Post
    Ok, so I cast S&T and put Omniscience into play; my opponent puts Trinisphere in play. Now, I want to cast Dig Through Time. If I'm reading all this right, Omni reduces the cost to zero, then Trinisphere says no, it costs 3. THEN, I delve 3 cards from my graveyard to pay for Dig, and so it goes on the stack. Is that correct?
    That is correct as Delve was changed to be a method of payment for the spell.

Quote Originally Posted by death View Post
    THEN, pay 3 generic mana. OR, delve (6)+UU.

Delve ability or exiling a card from the grave pays for 1 generic mana at the time you pay the spell's cost. You do this after Trinisphere's effect on alternate cost/cost reductions are applied. Delving at this point means you are committing to pay the spell's cost, in this case 6UU. The option to pay 3 generic mana under Trinisphere is available following the golden rule:
    As has been noted in this thread, delve (and convoke) are now payments rather than cost reducers. Payments happen after total cost is determined, which is where Trinisphere sets total cost. Even if delve/convoke worked like they used to, you would still be incorrect. Alternate cost is chosen way up front, and Trinisphere is at the very end of cost determination - you never pay anything but what Trinisphere tells you to pay. And delve/convoke were not even alternate costs, they were cost reducers.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information