Thread: [Mail] Lost in Transit

Bryant Cook

[Mail] Lost in Transit

Today during my lunch break, I stopped home to check the mail and let my dog out. Within the components of my mail was an envelope from Pete Venters (The artist of Tendrils, Grapeshot, Massacre and Pithing Needle - all cards in my Storm deck), except they weren't. I had mailed Pete all of these cards to get signed, all of which were Japanese and Foil. I taped them in a hardcase and then tapped them to a few sheets of paper to make the envelope stiff before mailing, well, I wish Pete had done the same. The envelope in which he mailed them to me had ripped and now my cards are lost somewhere between Seattle, WA and Syracuse, NY. I'm pretty upset at the situation, but mostly at myself for not using a pair of bubble mailers for shipping there AND back (Self addressed).

I caught my postman on my street to see if they had fallen out in his bag, nope.
    Drove to my PO, they told me they would've likely have been torn open in a machine at the mail post-office across town.
    Drove to that PO, where I received a phone number of someone who could maybe help me? He told me that he would check the machines here in town. My fear is that even if he finds them, the machines would've likely have shredded them without the hardcase that was still in the envelope I received.

I'm not expecting much at this point, but it's really heartbreaking and right before christmas, it's killed my spirit. I was ecstatic to see that they arrived as I mailed them out October 1st. If there's anything anyone can take from this it's don't skip out on postage/mailers.

Re: [Mail] Lost in Transit

Sorry to hear that Bryant hope it shows up. Its sad that USPS has basically no responsibility if it isn't insured. In the past when the USPS has tore my shit up it shows up in one of these. Basically it reads we could give a shit less about it. Maybe putting the word someone will find them. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    UR Delver man forcing you to play it out then asking for the ID after he got his dick smashed seems scummy.

That really sucks.

What I learned in my eBay days was never ship cards First Class Letter. It's cheap, sure, but that's because your cards are being treated as a lettter and being run through processing machines that can and will mangle them. Especially if the envelope is rigid from a hardcase or cardboard.

I found First Class Package to be the best in terms of cost:protection. I used bubble mailers + extra bubblewrap to hit the minimum 0.75" thickness. It costs a little over $2 now I think, with maximum weight of around 16oz 13oz. And you get tracking with it. Worth it though to not expose your cards to letter processing machinery. And yeah, anything you really care about I'd pay the extra to insure. eBay requires insurance over $250 or so IIRC.

Do note that just a bubble mailer isn't enough, you have to be sure it's being sent with a classification that treats it as a package.
    Last edited by cdr; 12-23-2014 at 10:11 PM. Reason: 13
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

That's pretty bad. Hoipefully they'll show up, but 'm afraid they'll be torn apart...

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    It costs a little over $2 now I think, with maximum weight of around 1 lb / 16oz. And you get tracking with it.
    It's pretty scary how often people don't ship this way. How many horror stories begin with "well, I didn't pay for tracking". How many sellers ask if I want "better shipping". A few months ago I even got a Force of Will that was shipped in a penny sleeve and plain envelope. Paying such a meager amount is never not worth it. Two dollars is all it takes to prevent almost any mishap. It's a shame that he mailed the cards back in such a sloppy manner. Venters has always been such a neat guy whenever it's come to interacting with the community. Unfortunately, given that you didn't provide him with a method of return, it's not entirely his fault. Did you not even include cash earmarked for return shipping or anything?

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    It's pretty scary how often people don't ship this way. How many horror stories begin with "well, I didn't pay for tracking". How many sellers ask if I want "better shipping". A few months ago I even got a Force of Will that was shipped in a penny sleeve and plain envelope. Paying such a meager amount is never not worth it. Two dollars is all it takes to prevent almost any mishap. It's a shame that he mailed the cards back in such a sloppy manner. Venters has always been such a neat guy whenever it's come to interacting with the community. Unfortunately, given that you didn't provide him with a method of return, it's not entirely his fault. Did you not even include cash earmarked for return shipping or anything?
    The cards I sent him in October were actually the very first cards I've sent out for mailing, I've done dozens since with better methods. But for each package I've included a minimum $10 tip for signing, for him I sent $20 due to the value of the cards and I sent about 10 of them. My issues were I feel he had very little interest in signing and moreso in properly sending back, He could've taped the hardcase closed as I did on the way there and padded the envelope as I did.

What pissed me off is that I also received a walking dead comic with no bag and board that was simply put in a blank manila envelope with "Do not bend" on it which was 100% fine.

May 2013
    Des Moines, IA

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    Today during my lunch break, I stopped home to check the mail and let my dog out. Within the components of my mail was an envelope from Pete Venters (The artist of Tendrils, Grapeshot, Massacre and Pithing Needle - all cards in my Storm deck), except they weren't. I had mailed Pete all of these cards to get signed, all of which were Japanese and Foil. I taped them in a hardcase and then tapped them to a few sheets of paper to make the envelope stiff before mailing, well, I wish Pete had done the same. The envelope in which he mailed them to me had ripped and now my cards are lost somewhere between Seattle, WA and Syracuse, NY. I'm pretty upset at the situation, but mostly at myself for not using a pair of bubble mailers for shipping there AND back (Self addressed).

I caught my postman on my street to see if they had fallen out in his bag, nope.
    Drove to my PO, they told me they would've likely have been torn open in a machine at the mail post-office across town.
    Drove to that PO, where I received a phone number of someone who could maybe help me? He told me that he would check the machines here in town. My fear is that even if he finds them, the machines would've likely have shredded them without the hardcase that was still in the envelope I received.

I'm not expecting much at this point, but it's really heartbreaking and right before christmas, it's killed my spirit. I was ecstatic to see that they arrived as I mailed them out October 1st. If there's anything anyone can take from this it's don't skip out on postage/mailers.

This hurts my soul...sorry to hear man :(
    Hope something positive comes out of it

Old School
    Jan 2004
    Rotterdam, NY otherwise known as the 1.5 Capital

The cards I sent him in October were actually the very first cards I've sent out for mailing, I've done dozens since with better methods. But for each package I've included a minimum $10 tip for signing, for him I sent $20 due to the value of the cards and I sent about 10 of them. My issues were I feel he had very little interest in signing and moreso in properly sending back, He could've taped the hardcase closed as I did on the way there and padded the envelope as I did.

What pissed me off is that I also received a walking dead comic with no bag and board that was simply put in a blank manila envelope with "Do not bend" on it which was 100% fine.
    The difference with the comic is that it is similar to the 'bubble wrapped thick' envelop, it's sent technically a different way and processed differently as well. Bigger items are never sent though the letter machines due to the fact that it would be chopped to pieces, same goes with weight. And yes you always want tracking, the post office is pretty firm about those items since they can be looked up to see who and when it was handled.

Sorry about lost cards Bryant, it is still possible they could have survived, but you are looking at lightning striking.
    Mythic Rogue Deck Builder
    Team Freshly Baked Crayons
    Team Albany

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Quote Originally Posted by jake556 View Post
    Sorry to hear that Bryant hope it shows up. Its sad that USPS has basically no responsibility if it isn't insured. In the past when the USPS has tore my shit up it shows up in one of these. Basically it reads we could give a shit less about it. Maybe putting the word someone will find them. Good Luck

They couldnt possibly be responsible for everything ppl sent because ppl would then claim they were sending gold bars and they were getting lost.

@op
    Bro, sorry, not sorry. Insurance is very cheap. Bad things rarely happen but its always a good idea to get it. I hate spending extra money but i have never regretted any money spent on insurance. Peace of mind is priceless.
    Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

That sucks. One possible avenue if your collection is insured through a specialty company is to see if items lost in transit are covered.

I also second the advice on 1st class packages. It also offers tracking options not available to parcels or letters.

Oct 2011
    Columbus, OH

Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    That really sucks.

I found First Class Package to be the best in terms of cost:protection. I used bubble mailers + extra bubblewrap to hit the minimum 0.75" thickness. It costs a little over $2 now I think, with maximum weight of around 1 lb / 16oz.
    Not that it takes away anything from what you posted, but first class mailing is limited to 13 ounces.

Quote Originally Posted by thegrinningdemon View Post
    Not that it takes away anything from what you posted, but first class mailing is limited to 13 ounces.
    I did say around, heh.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Bryant Cook

Call me a fool, but I'm going to send another package to Pete Venters this week. I would just like to track down two Unglued Goblin Tokens for him to sign first.

My plan for shipping is to put them in a hard case with a business card that reads "If lost please return to:". Tape it shut, put the hard case in a plastic bag, put in-between two pieces of cardboard and tape it down. Bubble mailer it with tracking and insurance (You can't insure a self-addressed stamped envelope unfortunately). Hopefully, he won't sit on the cards for three-four months this time. It's worth noting that I informed him of what happened on the previous send.

Epic Fizzle
    Feb 2007
    River Falls, Wi

Call me a fool, but I'm going to send another package to Pete Venters this week. I would just like to track down two Unglued Goblin Tokens for him to sign first.

My plan for shipping is to put them in a hard case with a business card that reads "If lost please return to:". Tape it shut, put the hard case in a plastic bag, put in-between two pieces of cardboard and tape it down. Bubble mailer it with tracking and insurance (You can't insure a self-addressed stamped envelope unfortunately). Hopefully, he won't sit on the cards for three-four months this time. It's worth noting that I informed him of what happened on the previous send.
    I have two extra Unglued goblin tokens if you need them.

That's too bad.

I'm also waiting for foil and hard to find stuff to return from mr. Pete Venters, now I'm scared..

Bryant Cook

My second send of cards to Pete Venters came back today! (I never heard anything back from anyone on the first send - if you're unaware of what happened, I basically received a blank envelope back and had to re-buy everything.)

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

My second send of cards to Pete Venters came back today! (I never heard anything back from anyone on the first send - if you're unaware of what happened, I basically received a blank envelope back and had to re-buy everything.)
    Looks good!

So he only sat on them for 3 months and 10 days this time
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

It may take him 3 months to get through my pile in Vegas.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    It may take him 3 months to get through my pile in Vegas.
    That'll still be faster than mailing them to him!

Thread Information