Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (Chapin on) Monastery Mentor

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

Re: (Chapin on) Monastery Mentor

I can see this replacing Talrand in Vintage decks or playing alongside YP; if there's any format to get excited about spamming out Prowess dorks, it's the format where 80% of the average deck triggers them.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

I'd love to loop tops with this guy in play. Is that too magical christmas land? I'm not sure
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Storm Trooper
    Jun 2012
    Bremen, Germany

I think Monastery Mentor will be very good in each constructed format there is.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    I'd love to loop tops with this guy in play. Is that too magical christmas land? I'm not sure
    probably. If it is an unlimited loop, why not just play Brain Freeze? Or Grapeshot? That idea was bad ten years ago.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    probably. If it is an unlimited loop, why not just play Brain Freeze? Or Grapeshot? That idea was bad ten years ago.
    It doesn't need to be unlimited. It would function very similar to the way that Thopter Foundry/Sword of the Meek works. For each mana, you get a 1/1 and all of your existing dudes get +1/+1. This means on your 3 lands, the turn after you play the Mentor you're theoretically attacking for 4, and the following turn attacking for 16. The flip side is that you now have a three card combo, although a single top and sufficient cantrip density works pretty closely.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

Oct 2007
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    It doesn't need to be unlimited. It would function very similar to the way that Thopter Foundry/Sword of the Meek works. For each mana, you get a 1/1 and all of your existing dudes get +1/+1. This means on your 3 lands, the turn after you play the Mentor you're theoretically attacking for 4, and the following turn attacking for 16. The flip side is that you now have a three card combo, although a single top and sufficient cantrip density works pretty closely.
    Ah emidln
    Nice of you dropping by!

I actually haven't found the time to test this dude, despite hyping him (on paper). I know, I know...
    Did anybody else get any live action?

Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    The upside to Thopter/Sword is that only 1 part of the Mentor/cantrip combo is a bad on its own... Plus sometimes you have to deal with some problems (playing a StP or a counter) Then you didnt invest 1 mana into the engine, you get him for free, as bonus!
    I mean if you untap with him, play a counterbalance and leave 1 mana up for your brainstorm, you didnt waste your turn making some tokens + you still get the value!

So dont overfocus on Mentor triggers, just play normal magic and get your reward from him! (Kinda like dont play tarfire to boost tarmogoyf)
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

The deck where I'm most excited to try him out is...

(Baneslayer) Angel Stompy
    or Armageddon Stompy

Sol Lands that let you cast this guy on turn 1, Chalice that prevents your opponents from StPing it, Trinisphere and Armageddon that choke off any hope of your opponents being able to deal with your threat all together etc.

Tons of disruption/lock pieces plus a powerful threat that will end the game in a couple of turns is a match made in heaven.

With 3 mana accessible, I would lead off with 3sphere, followed by Chalice, then Mentor.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSettler View Post
    Jesus H Cardsheet died for your NFC sins.

Oct 2007
    Berlin, Germany

Edited Carsten's input in the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by HdH_Cthulhu View Post
    The upside to Thopter/Sword is that only 1 part of the Mentor/cantrip combo is a bad on its own... Plus sometimes you have to deal with some problems (playing a StP or a counter) Then you didnt invest 1 mana into the engine, you get him for free, as bonus!
    I mean if you untap with him, play a counterbalance and leave 1 mana up for your brainstorm, you didnt waste your turn making some tokens + you still get the value!

So dont overfocus on Mentor triggers, just play normal magic and get your reward from him! (Kinda like dont play tarfire to boost tarmogoyf)
    Not entirely sure if I would call top bad on it's own though.

The Mentor is a cool and good card but I think that Young Pyromancer and Monestary Swiftspear are better simply due to mana cost.

The comparison to TNN is pointless if you ask me. TNN often can't be dealt with, Mentor can be answered and many of the cantrip effects are sorcery speed. I can't understand why someone would prefer Mentor over TNN in a BladeX style deck as TNN is the best equipment carrier by far.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizso View Post
    Its a diffrent plan that requires a diffrent way to attack it. Can swarm the board with dudes while opponent sits with his anti equipment cards in hand / play.
    Young Pyromancer does this better, Prowess is the only upside of Mentor but that is not worth going from 2cmc or 3cmc.

Oct 2007
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Quizzlemanizzle View Post
    Young Pyromancer does this better, Prowess is the only upside of Mentor but that is not worth going from 2cmc or 3cmc.
    Have you tested him yet?

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Unfortunately True Name is just better at the 3cc slot. Being blue, true name also pitches to force against combo since he is too expensive and requires taping out.

True name is also usually game over with equipment. The barrier to entry for MM is simply the existence of TNN. MM may be interesting in a spell dominant BWR deck like team Italia?

Would be interesting to have a deck with Bitterblossoms, Yp, Mm, lots of discard, removal, equipment and cabal therapy. MM gives it the raw power the deck needs.

Quote Originally Posted by klaus View Post

Yes, this dude is bonkers.
    Patrick already suggested UWx Control as a shell (my go to archetype for a decade) and obviously you try to squeeze him in prevalent lists first. So yeah:
    "Miracles": -2 EtA, -1x // +3 Mentor?
    --> why the hell not, he certainly has a similar effect, but is less dependent on Top to function, cannot be Pierced / Flusterstormed, is more resilient against EE/Ratchet Bomb etc., can be cast off of way less mana to own a game, etc.
    Huh. Patrick Chapin (and klaus!) turns out to be right about nearly everything Magic-related in the end.

Looks like the people who saw this coming kind of predicted it would eventually find its home in UWx (Miracle) control.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    Looks like the people who saw this coming kind of predicted it would eventually find its home in UWx (Miracle) control.
    Was there anyone who actually disputed that a potential home was Miracles?

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    Was there anyone who actually disputed that a potential home was Miracles?
    Most people around here and anywhere else generally thought it was inferior to Entreat + whatever else Miracles already plays.

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    Most people around here and anywhere else generally thought it was inferior to Entreat + whatever else Miracles already plays.
    I mean, it's still not strictly better by any interpretation of the term. Mentor has some very good strengths, but it also comes with quite a few weaknesses. They're two different kills.

Thread Information