Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [EDH] Diaochan, Artful Beauty

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Re: [EDH] Diaochan, Artful Beauty

Quote Originally Posted by Davran View Post
    This raises an interesting question: are other vehicles worth it in the deck? I don't much care for anything with a crew cost greater than 2, and even the crew 2 vehicles aren't super great. That leaves Aethersphere Harvester, Untethered Express and Sky Skiff as options. Of the three, the harvester is probably the best, but I'm not sure how good it'll be in the deck.
    Heart of Kiran is also legit, but requires 3 to crew... And Fleetwheel Cruiser swings heavy and hard for a crew of 2.

It will probably end up that Smuggler's Copter is the only vehicle worth it. It has all the right things going for it to make up for being an otherwise wonky mechanic.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Heart of Kiran is also legit, but requires 3 to crew... And Fleetwheel Cruiser swings heavy and hard for a crew of 2.

It will probably end up that Smuggler's Copter is the only vehicle worth it. It has all the right things going for it to make up for being an otherwise wonky mechanic.
    Yeah, Heart is on my radar already as sort of a value proposition given that with the exception of Ugin and getting a Koth emblem, loyalty counters aren't exactly at a premium in my list. The thing is, crew 3 is kind of rough since almost all of the creatures I have capable of crewing it are better attackers on their own.

As for Fleetwheel, I'm not sure how relevant Juggernaut 2.0 is to my game plan. Again, crew 2 is somewhat awkward for my creature base (less awkward than crew 3), and tapping something like Feldon to get in 5 damage instead of making a token to get in 6 seems a little loose.

Crew 1 is really the sweet spot for me I think.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

After nothing of interest in the past couple sets, HOU brings us it's title card Hour of Devastation.

- Chandra, Flamecaller, + Hour of Devastation

Chandra has been about 50/50 in terms of usefulness, so I don't really think I'll miss her. Hour of Devastation is basically her ultimate anyway, and her +1 never did anything relevant.

I might also try and find some room for Chaos Maw since it's pretty sweet off of Mimic Vat/Feldon, which is the secondary engine of the deck.

Let's take a minute and pour one out for Imminent Doom which would have been a windmill slam include if it didn't say "equal to" in its text box. That sort of non-threatening effect is exactly what this deck thrives on, but development had to go and make it stone unplayable.

Abrade is also interesting mostly because I love cards that can do more than one thing in this format, but I don't think it's good enough to try and find room for it.

Finally, Mirage Mirror will be finding a home in here somewhere too...though I'm not sure what to cut yet.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Made a couple changes:

- Karn Liberated, + Pithing Needle

Lately Karn has basically read 7: exile target permanent, put Karn Liberated into your graveyard. That used to be good enough, but for the price of admission I'd rather have Scour from Existence since at least that's at instant speed.

Pithing Needle has been on my radar for a long time since there are tons of targets for it in my meta. It's also a cheap artifact for Welder tricks, and generally a card that no one plays around in this format. I'm hopeful it'll be a solid addition.

- Blood Moon, + Mirage Mirror

Swapping an unfun card for a fun one since I have a couple ways to deal with problematic lands if the need arises. Mirage Mirror has already created a handful of spicy interactions, so I'm pretty happy with this change.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Opening a foil Thaumatic Compass as my pre-release promo has to be some kind of sign since another Maze of Ith effect is pretty much exactly what I've always wanted (other than shroud to come back as a keyword, anyway ). The obvious swap is for Armillary Sphere since they basically do the same thing, only the compass is much less "meh" later in the game. I especially appreciate the ability to just play and flip it without ever activating it, too.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Been a while since I updated my list:

- Pithing Needle
    Hour of Devastation
    Wasteland

+ Pyroblast
    Etali, Primal Storm
    Arch of Orazca

Pyroblast and Pithing Needle is more or less swapping one situational card for another, except one is potentially much more useful.

Hour of Devastation never really did anything that Mizzium Mortars didn't already do just as well (or better). I haven't actually resolved Etali yet, but the card seems like fun and foils were cheap so I figured what the heck. It's probably the first cut when something new is printed...but Dominaria isn't that set so I guess Etali is in for now. I briefly debated Dire Fleet Daredevil in this slot, so that change might happen at some point.

Wasteland is fine, but it's also a redundant effect that I'm not really sure I need two copies of. On the other hand, Arch is a late game mana sink that shores up a potential weakness of the deck, so the switch was easy. Plus, foil Arches are way cheaper than foil Wastelands, and I have a foil City's Blessing token from FNM to go with all of my other pimp tokens...so the switch is extra appropriate .

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Thanks to the current trend of red cards being purely aggressive and/or strictly worse than existing cards, it's been quite a while since there was something new for this deck. I did make one change recently that I've been relatively happy with:

- Etali, Primal Storm, + Meteor Golem

Etali is fun and all, but ultimately it's not really in keeping with what the rest of the deck is trying to do. Meteor Golem has a lot going for it. It's an artifact for Goblin Welder, it's a creature for Feldon of the Third Path, Mimic Vat, and Vicious Shadows, and it's unconditional removal in a color that doesn't have much access to it.

I'm also considering trying to find room for Daretti, Scrap Savant somewhere. I ran it back when it was first released, but ultimately cut it for not really doing all that much. Since then the number of artifacts in the deck has grown a little, and having a second Goblin Welder effect might actually be pretty solid.

Since it seems flavor appropriate for the card, I'm going to steal the insurrection idea for my piratey-themed thievery deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by ronco View Post
    Since it seems flavor appropriate for the card, I'm going to steal the insurrection idea for my piratey-themed thievery deck.
    Insurrection is honestly too easy and a little boring sometimes...but you've got to win somehow, right? I definitely recommend a sacrifice outlet or two if you're going on that plan. Goblin Bombardment is perfect because it can get those last couple points of damage in.

As far as pirates, while it's objectively worse Mass Mutiny is a similar effect with a much bigger flavor win.

Quote Originally Posted by Davran View Post
    Insurrection is honestly too easy and a little boring sometimes...but you've got to win somehow, right? I definitely recommend a sacrifice outlet or two if you're going on that plan. Goblin Bombardment is perfect because it can get those last couple points of damage in.

As far as pirates, while it's objectively worse Mass Mutiny is a similar effect with a much bigger flavor win.
    Most definitely. Might work better for me for mana cost reasons too. And I was thinking a repeatable fling outlet would be excellent too. But I won't hijack your deck thread with that though. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

It's been a while since something was printed for this deck, but man is Electrodominance spicy.

Out: Scour from Existence

In: Electrodominance

I still like Scour well enough, but now that Meteor Golem exists I'm not sure I need three 7 mana ways to get rid of a permanent. Scour exiles and can also hit lands, but the Golem is so much easier for me to reuse, so I think that puts it ahead. Spine of Ish Sah and Strip Mine give me game against lands already, and there honestly aren't all that many lands I actually care about when playing this deck.

Other considerations for cuts are Fiery Confluence and Stranglehold, but both of those are pretty useful and relatively unique effects so I think they're staying in for now.

I'm still thinking about getting Daretti, Scrap Savant in here somewhere, I just don't know where.

Thread Information