Thespian's Stage
    Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
    Wooded Foothills

Pimp Progress:
    Foil: 60/100
    Otherwise Pimped: 28/100
    Unfoilable: 4/100
    Total: 92/100

Diaochan certainly isn't winning any awards for her awesomeness. Her ability only works at portal speed, and she's packing a measly 1/1 for a body. What she lacks in power she more than makes up for in style. Her ability enables a fairly interactive game, and with the right set up can be structured so that it doesn't even affect your creatures at all.

The game plan is to piece together a dominant yet innocuous looking board state and eventually take over the game. The first step along that path is to play politics using Diaochan's ability strategically. This is as simple as activating her to bump off the best creature currently on the board, and then choosing a player who is most likely to see eye-to-eye with you as to what the 2nd best creature is and kill that off too. Sometimes the best creature in play is one of yours, which is where shroud and protection from red come in to play. The deck is also perfectly capable of some fairly busted draws fueled by early colorless acceleration into a big dumb dragon, though it is generally better to play draw-go and pace your threats with the rest of the table's development.

In terms of win conditions, the best by far is Vicious Shadows. Surprisingly, most players will ignore it until it's too late. I've even killed someone in response to their would-be lethal attack because of it. Since we're playing mono-red and have no way to get it back when it eventually dies, back-up win conditions include Mana-charged Dragon, Insurrection, and an equipped Godo, Bandit Warlord beating some serious face. An emblem courtesy of Koth of the Hammer will also likely get you the win, but that is a rarer occurrence.

A few notable exclusions:

Swiftfoot Boots: Unfortunately, hexproof doesn't actually do anything to protect your stuff from Diaochan since you still control her ability even though an opponent is picking the target. This seriously limits the amount of protective equipment that can be run, but fortunately there's still enough.

Wheel of Fortune, Memory Jar, and Reforge the Soul: While these are often considered "staples" for mono-red EDH decks, this particular list is not set up to take full advantage of them. When you couple that with the fact that your "opponent" draws 21 cards to your 7, it's easy to fall behind in terms of card advantage. It's already easy enough to fall behind while playing mono-red control, so extra opportunities to do so are not in our best interest. In order to combat this, I've chosen to focus on the asymmetrical "draw" effects that red has been getting lately, which keep my hand full.

Akroma's Memorial: While this would be useful as it gives all of our creatures protection from red, it's mostly a "win-more" card. All of the keyword buffs are really only useful in a situation where you have a few creatures and are attacking, which in this list is when we're already winning. Similarly, mass protection from red is only really good when we have more creatures than we can protect with equipment, which is also near the end of the game when we're already winning. In either situation, activating Diaochan isn't our first priority, so the protection bonus wouldn't really be used.
    Last edited by Davran; 02-15-2019 at 09:15 AM.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Re: [EDH] Diaochan, Artful Beauty

Turns out this deck is at the perfect level of "competitiveness" for most of the tables I play at. It's also a ton of fun.

Time for some updates:

Out:
    Dead / Gone
    Myr Retriever

In:
    Spine of Ish Sah
    Maze of Ith

Dead / Gone was my 99th inclusion in the deck, and it's never been relevant. Given the high incidence of ETB effects in the format, the bounce isn't all that spectacular, and there are very few things you can blow out with a shock. Replacing it with Spine of Ish Sah is something that seems fairly obvious in hindsight, while simultaneously giving me another way to deal with enchantments and random protection from red/creatures things. Spine is also fairly decent with Daretti, Welder, and Trading Post, which pushes it over the top.

Myr Retriever is a fine card that certainly has some utility in the deck. That said, the number of times it's successfully chump blocked for value is in the single digits, and as a random dork to assassinate with Diaochan it leaves a lot to be desired. On the other hand, Maze of Ith should help keep me alive once the rest of the table wises up to what's going on, and also make a friend here or there with some careful politics.

In terms of Fate Reforged, I'm looking at Outpost Siege and Ugin, the Spirit Dragon for inclusion...but I'm not sure over what. Both modes of Siege are relevant to the deck, so it seems like the card will have a lot of play depending on the board state when it's cast. Similarly, Ugin looks like it will do a ton of work, particularly when it comes to problematic enchantments.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Another couple changes to the list:

Out:
    Starstorm
    Reforge the Soul

In:
    Molten Disaster
    Vedalken Orrery

The Starstorm to Molten Disaster swap is something I've been considering for a while now. The way I see it, I'm trading instant speed and the ability to cycle for split second and the ability to hit players. Not being able to damage flying creatures with Molten Disaster is somewhat of a wash since I can usually just bump off a problematic flyer with my general. I feel like split second is going to be a huge boon, particularly against cards like Marchesa, the Black Rose and/or zombie Mikaeus which I see fairly regularly.

I'm not super confident about cutting Reforge the Soul. I tend to find that I don't actually want to cast wheel effects when I have them as the list often plays draw-go and I like to keep my hand full of answers. I also tend to find that giving my opponents a fresh 7 is rarely in my best interest. However, this is a mono-red deck, and ultimately there is no better draw power available to me than wheel effects. I'm going to try going down to just two (Wheel of Fortune and Memory Jar) and see if I actually miss Reforge the Soul.

Adding Vedalken Orrery was something that occurred to me the last time I had a chance to play the deck. Most of the things I can do are at sorcery speed, which gave my opponents a chance to interact before I had a chance to actually do anything. I debated slotting in Anger instead as haste is fairly relevant and I can easily get it into the graveyard with Diaochan...but I think that Orrery might prove more relevant since the deck is mostly non-creature spells.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

One more quick change to the list...

I was ordering some foils and picked up a copy of Outpost Siege. Seems like a fairly easy swap for Mindless Automaton.

**EDIT: I also updated the OP with some additional discussion on playing the deck.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

The tweaking continues...

- Mystifying Maze, + Thespian's Stage

This is a change that's been in my mind for a while. I have never used Mystifying Maze for anything other than because I rarely want to keep 5 lands open and I often find that whatever I'm being attacked with has some sort of ETB trigger that I don't want to let my opponent free-roll. I wish this worked on my own attackers, but as written it's just too clunky to be useful. Thespian's State is sort of a pet card for me. This deck has plenty of useful utility lands to copy, but mostly I'm intending it as a 2nd Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle. I've been considering saving up some milk money for Dark Depths as another win condition since Marit Lage is Diaochan-proof, so slotting in Stage gets me half way there too.

I'm looking for room for Expedition Map, and also considering dropping a mountain or something for Vesuva. We'll see how the next couple games go.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Updated list in the OP. A discussion on the changes:

- Red Elemental Blast, + Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

Red Elemental Blast has been nothing but a blowout in my experience with the card. I have yet to be at a table where there isn't at least one player on some sort of Ux deck, and they have yet to actually play around the card. That said, it's a one trick pony. There's no meaningful recursion for an instant in mono-red, and once you've sprung the surprise on your opponent it rarely works again. Enter Jaya Ballard, Task Mage. Jaya brings a couple of extra things to the party beyond REB while still giving me the opportunity to destroy target Prophet of Kruphix. Discarding cards to activate her abilities is somewhat of a wash as I have access to Crucible of Worlds, Squee, Goblin Welder, Daretti, and Scrap Mastery to make it less of a big deal. Jaya is also a much better draw as the game goes long. I'm hopeful that this will be a solid upgrade.

- Nim Deathmantle, + Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker

Nim Deathmantle is a neat card...but it's also fairly mana intensive. I originally included it as a way to gain "advantage" out of activating Diaochan, but I've never once used it to reanimate one of my creatures. Sarkhan is something I've wanted to try out for a while. He's mostly included here as a 4/4 hasty flyer that can't be killed with Diaochan, but I can think of a few situations where his -3 ability would be useful too. His emblem is meh, but who knows...maybe someday that will be relevant too.

- Past in Flames, + Hammer of Purphoros

Past in Flames is a solid card, and re-buying something like a Blasphemous Act or some other random spell can be good in some situations, but more often than not I find it rotting in my hand. I've been finding that paying 4 for the first half and 5 for the second half leaves me little mana to actually flash spells back with even when I do want to cast it. I've been looking for another haste enabler, and I think the Hammer is it. It's an artifact, so it interacts with that half of the deck. It's also capable of making chump blockers and/or a small army of tokens in the late game, and potentially interacts well with Crucible, Seer's Sundial and Valakut in magical christmas land.

Sep 2009
    Bratislava, Slovakia

Strionic Resonator + rings + any trigger or activation
    My GF tried it in her version of Zur - not posted yet, once i will have some time i will post it. It means 2 more walker activations for few more mana etc.
    To win is an option, to play is must.
    Deck can be competitive, but player have to use his common sense how to play it in different metas.
    I began as Timmy and ended up as Johnny

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu092 View Post
    Strionic Resonator + rings + any trigger or activation
    My GF tried it in her version of Zur - not posted yet, once i will have some time i will post it. It means 2 more walker activations for few more mana etc.
    As it stands right now, there are only a few triggered abilities in the deck that are worth paying the to double up on...which makes Resonator not very good on its own. On the other hand, Rings at least interacts favorably with Diaochan if I've drawn nothing else to use it with. The "combo" you've discussed above seems fairly conditional, and a little win-more. If I'm in a situation where I've got 4 mana, Rings, Resonator, and some walker to activate 3 times things are probably going pretty well for me. Also, the walkers in the deck don't really benefit from multiple activations of their abilities in most situations.

A few updates:

- Tectonic Edge, + Wasteland

A fairly self explanatory upgrade.

- Vedalken Orrery, + Mana-Charged Dragon

I've been looking for another finisher in many of the games I've played lately, and this guy rose to the top of the pile mostly because of his political nature. I also considered Scourge of Kher Ridges pretty heavily for this spot, which is much better for a more "competitive" version of the deck. That said, this is EDH, so the more fun card won out for me.

- Shattering Spree, + Shattering Pulse

I'm going to give this a try for a little while and see how it goes. Spree is great in a countermagic heavy meta, or against some sort of dedicated colorless deck, but I see neither of those things in my group. I'm hoping that Pulse will serve the same purpose in the deck while also giving me some virtual card advantage due to the buyback.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

A new set means it's time for some updates:

- Wheel of Fortune, + Commune with Lava

Let's talk Wheel of Fortune for a second, shall we? There is no denying that it is a powerful effect, and really the best "draw" you're ever going to see on a red card. The thing is, at a typical 4 player table I'm drawing 7 cards and my "opponent" is drawing 21. It doesn't take much thought to piece together why that probably isn't the best play in the world. If this deck was more combo oriented, Wheel would probably still be worth running...but as a means to refill my hand or dig into something relevant I think I can do better.

Enter Commune with Lava, which in my opinion is one of the more interesting red cards that's been printed in quite some time. The closest analog is Act on Impulse, but the instant speed and additional turn to play the cards that you get out of Commune with Lava makes the choice a no-brainer. I'm looking forward to playing around with this, as it seems like it'll be relevant much more often than Wheel ever was.

I'm also considering finding room for Sarkhan's Triumph. There are 3 dragons in the deck currently, and each is relevant depending on my current board position. I think the most likely sequence would be something like Sarkhan's Triumph finding Hoarding Dragon --> Diaochan --> Hoarding Dragon, kill it with Diaochan for whatever artifact I need...but I'm not sure if that's too clunky. It's also fairly useful to just tutor for Steel Hellkite to get rid of some problematic permanent(s), or to grab Mana-charged Dragon and start trying to win the game. Alternatively, I could replace Mana-charged Dragon with something like Bogardan Hellkite which has some additional utility with Feldon and Mimic Vat.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Got lucky with my Draft winnings and picked up an Ugin...so:

- Memory Jar + Ugin, the Spirit Dragon

I've been trimming the Wheel effects lately and not looking back, so this seemed like an obvious switch.

- Smoke + Mizzium Mortars

Another change I've been considering for some time now. Smoke is cute, but ultimately not all that effective.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

It's been a while since I've posted an update here, so here goes nothing.

First things first, for any other mono-red mages out there who aren't sure about running Commune With Lava, let me just say that the card has been fantastic for me. I generally fire it off with X=4 or 5, and I very rarely have to leave something other than a land in exile. It's 100% better than Wheel of Fortune ever was, and it looks fairly decent in foil too.

In terms of decklist updates:

- Blood Moon, + Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs

Another sacred cow ended up on the cutting room floor. This is mostly a concession to my regular playgroup, as several of the decks have a fairly high basic land count due to card availability and budget constraints, so Blood Moon never actually did anything particularly relevant. That said, I would probably switch these two cards back for an unknown meta or a more "competitive" event than regular EDH night.

I added Kazuul because I found that creature swarms are something that I have a hard time dealing with. Experience shows that he is a removal magnet most of the time, but he has sent a few fairly large attacks elsewhere.

- Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker, + Chain Reaction

Sarkhan is a fine card, and as a 4/4 beater that can't be killed by my commander his value in this deck is higher than most. The problem is that he can't block, and a 4/4 isn't particularly well suited to getting in for damage in a format full of giant creatures. As I mentioned above, hordes of creatures can be a problem for me, so I'm hoping that picking up another wrath effect will help.

- Grim Monolith, + Armillary Sphere

Experience has shown that this deck is particularly mana hungry, which probably makes this swap seem insane. I'd been finding that Grim Monolith was essentially a Dark Ritual - a few quick mana the turn I played it and that's it. I never really wanted to take the time to untap it as I generally had better things to be doing. Sphere, on the other hand, gets me a couple of mountains which interact favorably with Valakut and Seer's Sundial. They also make discard fodder for Faithless Looting, Deal Broker or Daretti in the late game.

I'm also currently looking for a replacement for Dualcaster Mage as I have yet to copy a single spell with it. I've played it more times as a chump blocker with flash than anything else.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Time for some more updates:

- Chain Reaction, + Illicit Auction

Let's get this out of the way real quick - Illicit Auction is not a very good card. Thankfully, this is EDH and I can get away with playing "bad" cards in order to create a more fun game experience, and this is a hell of a fun card. Like any true politician, I have ulterior motives with this inclusion - I'm hoping that whomever wins the auction will earn the ire of at least one other player and lose a bunch of life in the process. Also, the art on the card is sweet.

- Rings of Brighthearth, + Expedition Map

Rings is one of those cards that's both fantastic and terrible. When you're winning, Rings lets you win more. When you're losing, Rings just rots in your hand or in play as you spend that on literally anything else. Then there's the third scenario where you have plenty of mana and Rings, but nothing to copy. I've been finding myself in the third scenario increasingly often, so it's time to make a change.

- Deal Broker, + Caverns of Despair

I'm hoping that Caverns of Despair is a hidden gem. As I mentioned in my last post, I've been having trouble with large swarms of creatures, or even just a handful of reasonably sized ones, so hopefully this will slow things down a little.

- Squee, Goblin Nabob, + Scuttling Doom Engine

I'm testing this out as another creature with pseudo-protection from Diaochan. It's also an artifact which is relevant in terms of ease of recursion and works reasonably well with Feldon of the Third Path.

- Scrap Mastery, + Grenzo's Rebuttal

Going to give this card a shot in here. Note that you "choose" the things that get destroyed, so shroud and hexproof are irrelevant. Unfortunately, it does get around most of my protection equipment and such, but this seems more like an emergency reset button than a card you cast while you're ahead.

- Shattering Pulse, + Into the Core

I'm still trying to find an instant speed artifact destruction spell that I like. This one exiles, but it needs two targets. We'll see if that ever matters I guess...

May 2011
    Albany, NY

It's been a while since I updated this. The deck continues to perform reasonably well, but there are still a few slots that I'm not in love with.

- Into the Core, + Wild Ricochet

I rediscovered Wild Ricochet sifting through my box of EDH jank and it seems like it could have a place in here. This slot may be better used on something like Reiterate or maybe even just Reverberate, but we'll see I guess.

- Thran Dynamo, + Word of Seizing

Thran Dynamo hasn't been in the deck for a while, so I cut something else here...but I'll be damned if I can remember what it is. Anyway, I've found a new love for spells with split second after a well-timed Molten Disaster helped me win a game a couple weeks ago. I'm hoping that the ability to 'borrow' a permanent will prove to be useful.

There's nothing I'm particularly excited about in Origins for this deck. I might try Molten Vortex out since it's so cheap to cast, but other than that this set is fairly lackluster for this deck. Here's hoping for some sweet stuff out of Zendikar 2.0 I guess...

May 2011
    Albany, NY

I keep messing around with this deck. Sooner or later I'll settle on 100 cards I actually like.

- Wild Ricochet, + Reverberate

Turns out 4 mana is a lot when you're playing this deck. I'm hoping that Reverberate functions like a counterspell when I need it to while also providing some utility for random busted stuff like Time Stretch or whatever.

- Caverns of Despair, + Blood Moon

Caverns of Despair is a cool card that very few people have seen before. Too bad it doesn't actually do anything relevant like, ever. I seriously considered Crawlspace for this slot, but very few people in my meta try to go wide with tokens, so it's often one or two big beaters that are the problem. Blood Moon is making its return here thanks to a resurgence of 5-color good stuff decks, greedy mana bases in general, and a new Maze's End deck.

- Haunted Fengraf, + Vesuva

Haunted Fengraf has been in here since day 1, and I think I've actually activated it twice. Both times were fairly relevant, but ultimately a couple of corner cases doesn't make a very strong case for the card. Vesuva is more or less Valakut #3, or whatever stupid crap my opponents come up with. I'm a little wary of it coming into play tapped, but I think the potential utility outweighs the occasional tempo loss.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

It's been a while since I updated this deck on here. It's still one of my favorites to play, and I'm still tinkering around with some of the slots as I try to get it right.

- Volcanic Offering, + Burn Away

This is kind of a weird change. Volcanic Offering is "better" in that it kills two things, but I never really liked the land destruction component. There was always a lot of "I'll kill that guy...and I guess your guildgate?" whenever it was played, so I figured I'd give something else a shot. Burn Away has been pretty good so far, especially when it comes to killing stuff I don't want my opponents to get back (looking at you, Prophet of Kruphix).

- Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs, + Silent Arbiter

I made this switch on a whim one night and I haven't looked back. For whatever reason the players in my meta will kill Kazuul on sight, but let Arbiter stick around way longer than they should. Another benefit of Arbiter is that it's an artifact, which gives me an additional way to find it (Hoarding Dragon) and a couple of ways to get it back from my graveyard.

- Word of Seizing, + Scour from Existence

Mono-red disenchant. Not much more to say here, other than I wish it was cheaper to cast.

- Grenzo's Rebuttal, + Anger of the Gods

This card is fun to play. It's also not very good. The problem is that it's symmetrical, and gets around shroud/protection from red. To further complicate things, I want most of my artifacts in play, and almost all of my non-basic lands are worth destroying.

- Worn Powerstone, + Unstable Obelisk

Again, I've switched to a "worse" card in favor of some added utility. I've found what I really need is ways to interact with non-creature permanents, not a bunch of colorless ramp.

- Jaya Ballard, Task Mage, + Staff of Nin

Staff of Nin might not stay in here very long, we'll see. Jaya is definitely out, though. She rarely did anything relevant. I might swap this for Akuom Hellkite if I manage to pick up a copy since it's essentially a 4th Valakut in this deck.

- Homeward Path, + Terrain Generator

I haven't had much use for Homeward Path, so I'm giving Terrain Generator a shot in its place. There's a couple of landfall triggers floating around in the deck, and it's also pseudo-ramp.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Made a few more changes to the list. It's getting harder to make cuts, which must mean things are finally getting to where I want them to be.

- Scuttling Doom Engine, + Spawn of Thraxes

I think this is a slight upgrade...but I'm not really sure. The Doom Engine has been okay, but not fantastic. The general idea was to start looping it with Feldon, Welder, Daretti or Mimic Vat to dome opponents for 6. I've actually pulled it off once, but I haven't managed to get there since. Spawn of Thraxes has a couple of things going for it. First, it's probably going to be doing more than 6 damage, which is always welcome. Second, it can hit a creature, which the Doom Engine can't do. Finally, and most importantly, it has evasion. We'll see if losing out on the Welder tricks is something I miss.

- Batterskull, + Urabrask the Hidden

Batterskull has been in here a long time, and it's never really had any noticeable effect. The original plan was to run it out there as a creature that's "safe" from Diaochan since I can just bounce and replay it. It's also fetchable with Godo and Hoarding Dragon, so what's not to like? Unfortunately, it seems like it costs too much mana, and it's more or less a lightning rod for whatever removal my opponents happen to be packing. I've been considering Urabrask for a while now, so we'll see how it goes.

- Staff of Nin, + Akuom Hellkite

Picked this guy up in a draft and stuck it in the deck. Turns out it's pretty great. For some real magical christmas land action, I had this thing going in one game with 2 copies of Valakut in play, netting me 7 damage per mountain. Let's just say I won that one.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

A couple of changes:

- Burn Away, + Volcanic Offering

After playing with Burn Away for a while, I've started to miss the raw card advantage Volcanic Offering brings to the table. The card is an instant speed 4 for 1 as opposed to a pseudo-2 for 1, and recently there have been some lands played in my meta that really need to be destroyed. I still like Burn Away, but I don't currently have room for both...so I think I have to give the nod to the better card.

- Anger of the Gods, + Fiery Confluence

Commander 2015 was pretty lack-luster all around, and especially for this list. Fiery Confluence seems pretty good though, so I'm going to give it a shot. I really like that it gives me a way to better deal with Planeswalkers, which have been problematic for me recently. That said, I'm not sure Anger of the Gods is the right cut...but I guess we'll see.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

I've been having a problem closing the game lately due to various theft effects and my Colossus of Akros. It's also becoming a big time liability to sink the mana into the monstrous cost only to have it meet some kind of Mind Control or exile effect. I thought about switching to something like one of the two Ulamogs or Darksteel Colossus to avoid the monstrous payment, but neither one of those really solves the Mind Control problem.

Enter Akroma, Angel of Fury. Not only is she cheaper to cast than any of the other options I considered, but she comes loaded with all kinds of relevant abilities. I'm not sure how or if the Morph component will be relevant, but giving her a sword and firebreathing someone to death should do the trick.

May 2011
    Albany, NY

Made a couple additional changes to the list:

- Hammer of Purphoros, + Crawlspace

I'm still looking for another Propaganda effect for the deck, and I stumbled across Crawlspace while sifting through a box of random cards I had laying around so I figured I'd give it a shot. It's an artifact, which has a bunch of minor synergies with the other cards in the deck, too. As for Hammer of Purphoros being the cut, it seemed like the weakest card to me. I've not made a single golem with it in the history of ever, and it's rarely something I ever actively want to draw or spend the mana to cast.

- Terrain Generator, + Haunted Fengraf

I've been looking to get more out of my mana base lately, so I'm going to give Haunted Fengraf another shot. I've been finding myself wishing for another way to get creatures back as the number of removal spells in my meta slowly increases, and unfortunately red doesn't have many options available. I briefly considered Command Beacon for this slot, but I can't really see myself making much use of the effect.

Other than the changes above, I'm still in the market for a reliable finisher. So far, it looks like Oath of the Gatewatch isn't going to provide one...but maybe I'll get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Davran View Post
    Other than the changes above, I'm still in the market for a reliable finisher. So far, it looks like Oath of the Gatewatch isn't going to provide one...but maybe I'll get lucky.
    I'm slightly out of my element here with mono-red, but it looks like the new Chandra from Oath could be pretty good for this deck. She's certainly splashy, if somewhat over-costed.

As far as finishers go, you have a pretty sweet dragon package already in the deck - does Dragonstorm deserve a spot? I'm not sure if Hellkite Igniter or Hellkite Tyrant would help you at all.

You could always be "that guy" and run some mass land destruction. People are usually okay with Ruination since it punishes greedy mana bases. I always liked Wake of Destruction, Boom // Bust, and Devastation to help seal the deal.

Thread Information