Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Forum for Modern

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Re: Best Forum for Modern

This thread was wavering between staying on-topic and shifting to another bash-mtgsal thread pretty much from the beginning. What I find amusing is it probably would have stayed relatively on-topic if ktkenshinx hadn't defended mtgsal.

Anyways... the last couple posts reminded me of these threads:
    MTGS-Salvation-is-a-joke
    MTGS-is-a-joke-check-this-out
    There's a couple familiar faces in there.

I am pretty sure Lejay had a note in his sig that he was/is a moderator on a French Legacy forum for a while...
    I don't understand the need to show transparency about your relationship-to or status-on another forum though. It seems to me the content of someone's signatures boils down to 3 categories:
    1. Things you are proud of
    2. Things you hate
    3. Things you find funny

I find every post on mtgsal but the OP of a spoiler thread mind-numbing, but what I've read of ktkenshinx's posts have always been well thought out and polite. When WotC was deciding between Modern and Over-Extended, his posts were always insightful. In fact, if WotC had decided on Over-Extended instead of Modern, I probably never would have gotten into Legacy. And until I can play Blood Moon on turn 1, I won't ever play Modern competitively.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

4x Simian Spirit Guide
    4x Blood Moon

52x Doesn't matter/lands

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    4x Simian Spirit Guide
    4x Blood Moon

52x Doesn't matter/lands
    4x Simian Spirit Guide
    4x Blood Moon
    4x Magus of the Moon
    4x Serum Powder
    34x Mountain

Clearly the better meta choice,
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

4x Blood Moon
    4x Magus of the Moon
    4x Serum Powder
    4x Desperate Ritual
    4x Pyretic Ritual

26x Mountain

Wait, are we on to something? Guys I think we're on to something.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

4x Blood Moon
    4x Magus of the Moon
    4x Serum Powder
    4x Desperate Ritual
    4x Pyretic Ritual

26x Mountain

Wait, are we on to something? Guys I think we're on to something.
    You forgot Simian Spirit Guide! Also, I am very bad at math!

4x Simian Spirit Guide
    4x Blood Moon
    4x Magus of the Moon
    4x Serum Powder
    4x Desperate Ritual
    4x Pyretic Ritual

36x Mountain

I'm really glad we found a way to keep this thread constructive!

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    You forgot Simian Spirit Guide! Also, I am very bad at math!

4x Simian Spirit Guide
    4x Blood Moon
    4x Magus of the Moon
    4x Serum Powder
    4x Desperate Ritual
    4x Pyretic Ritual

36x Mountain

I'm really glad we found a way to keep this thread constructive!
    Blood Moons are too expensive. Can I just use Magus of the Moon and Monastery Swiftspear. In testing I've found this to be promising.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Those all look terrible!

Either Rite of Flame or Chrome Mox need to be removed from the banned list.
    I got started with competitive Magic playing All-In-Red for 7 year Extended.

4 Rite of Flame
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Desperate Ritual
    4 Seething Song
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Demigod of Revenge
    4 Deus of Calamity
    4 Empty the Warrens
    2 Genju of the Spires

18 Mountains

That is what I want to play! WotC should ban Ascension so they can unban the fast mana I need to play my pet deck.

So much trolling :D

@Topic, I'm on MTGS and I only look in threads, where I know that there are good players who are knowing, what they are doing (and in which decks I'm interested, since sometimes people find cards, which are pretty good for the deck, where as I didn't even know they existed (e.g. Suffer the Past in Grixis)). Furthermore, I have some Private Chats with some guys for developing, reporting and talking. It is pretty decent. On the other hand there is a lot of trash there but of course you will have it, when you have such a big user base.

@ktkenshinx, really appreciate your work on MTGS, especially for collecting the tournament data, which is pretty difficult from times to times.

Greetings,
    Kathal

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Chancellor of the tangle

Tried it, meh. It was good with ssg to get a turn one chalice @1. Then it was dead in hand if drawn. This is essentially the same as ssg's exile. I didj't hit 7 mana too many times to actually get a monster out of it. Blood moon was of course part of the mix.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Tormod View Post
    The moderators on MTGS are more concerned about being policemen issuing infractions and catering to the frail egos of the lowest common denominator. I actually went by mtgs yesterday just to read about all the rage quitting over bans after not visiting for a half a year.

The "us vs them" attitude of the staff still remains. I'll be honest, I personally think its a joke that a user here feels the need to sig they are a moderator on MTGS while on a other site. It shows that they don't actually understand how the rest of the community looks at their site, and it shows that even not on their own site they are always trying to play the "authority card"

If you have the time in the world to waste. I guess you can waste it on MTGS. But if you actually have a life.... "Ain't nobody got time for that shit"
    This is percisely why I am here. The moderation.

EDIT: Although, up to this point, I only lurk.

Feb 2005
    Fremont, Nebraska

Necro time, I guess. I just found this thread by googling "best modern mtg" and find it is still relevant as of 6/2018. I was just out on MTGS trying to get up to date info on Modern Goblins decks and what I found was a whole lot of nothing. Specifically, I saw a couple people in 1 on 1 conversations consisting of one liners, and even single words per post. Really? All of this would have been much more appropriate via PM. If this is what they call "Moderation" then I will forgo MTGS altogether!
    You can't kill my Zombies - they're already dead!
    Shoes for Industry!
    Reality is for people who can't deal with Middle Earth.
    Too much is never enough - I'm addicted to MORE!!!

Jul 2018
    Midwest

I'd love to talk some Modern. This is an old topic and doesn't seem to be a lot of activity in it but I'll talk Modern if anyone else wants to. :)
    Playing since 1994

Format of play: Modern & Pauper

So MTGS is the worst. Granted. But where do I go for modern? I'm trying to brew over here!

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

There is nothing like TMD or Source for Modern.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    So MTGS is the worst. Granted. But where do I go for modern? I'm trying to brew over here!
    I try to stay active in the Source modern threads, along with a few others (notably Phoenix Ignition.) With a burgeoning Legacy scene locally it's hard to divide my attention, but I keep my toes in Modern. The way I stay on top of the format is basically YouTube (Jeff Hoogland, mtggoldfish with saffron olive, watching other streamers.) My current fascination is with UR Wizards.

As Dice Box mentioned, there isn't a dedicated Modern forum. Honestly, with so much coverage, is there even a need for one? The format is so tightly controlled by WOTC, unlike Legacy, that it's harder to brew in that format.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

I'm actually not shocked there is no dedicated Modern Fourm. Have a look at TMD. A message board old enough to drink about a format that was exclusive at the time. The Source, a board that split from TMD many years ago for another format that's seen as exclusive.

Modern has come to power in the age of Facebook. A would bet a lot of Modern chat is there. The need for a site like this is a pre Facebook situation. The times have changed as have the points of contact. Your not seeing something like this because this is a relic of a changed landscape that sees traffic mostly because we are all older and are still comfortable with our set ways of doing things.

Edit.
    I will pick up and post here more. I am really enjoying Modern and the decks I play are not represented here. I would be happy to talk about them some.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I'm actually not shocked there is no dedicated Modern Fourm. Have a look at TMD. A message board old enough to drink about a format that was exclusive at the time. The Source, a board that split from TMD many years ago for another format that's seen as exclusive.

Modern has come to power in the age of Facebook. A would bet a lot of Modern chat is there. The need for a site like this is a pre Facebook situation. The times have changed as have the points of contact. Your not seeing something like this because this is a relic of a changed landscape that sees traffic mostly because we are all older and are still comfortable with our set ways of doing things.

Edit.
    I will pick up and post here more. I am really enjoying Modern and the decks I play are not represented here. I would be happy to talk about them some.
    This seems accurate. I try to talk with other players at my LGS about The Source and they give me a blank stare. Having joined a bunch of years ago, this forum was the definitive place to talk Legacy. It didn't matter what people were saying at SCG/CFB, it mattered more 'what is The Source saying about such-and-such' because it included the global legacy scene's input.

I still see modern as 'what to play if I can't play legacy', while most players at the LGS, an overwhelming majority, play Modern primarily. There is a crew of about 15 of us that are Legacy regulars, which is awesome, but not like the 40+ that are Modern regulars. I want The Source to be a good Modern forum so badly, because it's the last vestige of a truly connected Legacy (Magic) community. Discord has taken over for specific decks, but metagame analysis and historical context at-large are on this forum. I would love to continue having that connection.

There's no way around it, I'm old.
    Brainstorm Realist

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

I think there's a bell curve for how useful a forum is versus how many people are on it. If you get too many people it'll just become a wash of incorrect comments, if you have too few you probably won't get enough interest in certain decks. MTGSal has too many people on it to be useful, every good suggestion comes with 10 bad ones. For new players it's really hard to tell good advice from bad, so there isn't a coherent direction to any discussion. Sadly, MTGthesource doesn't have enough people who care about Modern to really drive the discovery of new decks.

MTGthesource was at one point a bastion for amazing ideas and deck discussion, the site is probably the birthplace of a lot of great Legacy decks. As Legacy grew to what it is now, a lot of us who got most of our fun out of brewing new decks just left/quit/moved on. There isn't room for that kind of openness in Legacy anymore, so many of us moved to other things. That leaves the players who love the current meta in Legacy, which I won't say is wrong, it's just exactly what I don't like. A format defined by specific decktypes with little room to move in between. The reason I bring this up is because you can see the caliber of discussion going on now on MTGthesource, and it is sickening. I won't cite examples, just look at the Legacy Development section if you need them. It's pretty much just tribal bullshit at this point, either you're with the "I love new Legacy" team or you're against it, and if you don't like it fuck you.

There are a few of us Legacy refugees still here who, like mindless specters of a time long past damned to repeat our actions, still come to this site a few times a week. I blame it on my bookmarks toolbar and still thinking that MTG has something interesting waiting for me, but it's really just a lack of other good hobby forums to look at. I try to help in the Modern section if I think I can, although once decks become streamlined to a certain point I think my skill set is mostly used up. I'm in the process of getting rid of most of my collection since over the past few years, given the opportunity to drive to some event or hang out with my family I'll skip the event. In my weekly cube/old school/vintage play group no one cares about proxies, and I'd rather not carry a deck worth more than my car around. All but 1 of us has given up caring about Legacy, since Vintage usually gives better games to our tastes. I guess it's a culmination of factors that's slowly driving me out.

As for me and Modern, I'm of limited use since I won't play it again until some ban puts a nail in Krark-Klan Ironworks deck since I refuse to think such terrible thoughts about my opponents who I presume are decent people. 12 minute turns shouldn't be a thing.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    There's no way around it, I'm old.
    We are, that is, the sort of people who come here for content as it tends to be presented here.

We are the more traditional, long-form, type content. People actually do want that, but don't want to generate it, generally speaking. That's why Discord, Facebook and so on appeals in the short-term. But it's shallow sort of stuff.

I can't really help you out though, because I don't play Modern. I don't even get to play Legacy or anything else much lately, for that matter.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

There are a few of us Legacy refugees still here who, like mindless specters of a time long past damned to repeat our actions, still come to this site a few times a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I can't really help you out though, because I don't play Modern. I don't even get to play Legacy or anything else much lately, for that matter.

Thread Information