Thread: [SCD] Carpet of Flowers

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

[SCD] Carpet of Flowers

Carpet of Flowers

It's not a new card, it was used strong as SB in most decks required mana boost and met requirement running Green - for example combo decks: ANT, TES, sometimes in Nic Fit vs blue decks.
    From last few DTB analysis and TCDecks data we can easily say that there is about 70% of decks running blue duals/islands which is only condition to get mana from Carpet of Flowers.

Replacement for manadorks like deathrite shaman, noble hierarch in most midrange decks like Maverick

It has advantage over every mana dork:
    - basic removal proof (bolt, stp)
    - it can give more mana then one - it's huge difference specially on draw
    - it has haste - you play it in first main phase, then in second main adding mana

disadvantage:
    - there is still some non-blue decks where this card do nothing.
    - it can give mana on instant speed - it's not big disadvantage just focus of using lands as your instant speed mana source.

What's your opinions ? Is it good as MD material - probably tests are needed to answer this question.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Re: [SCD] Carpet of Flowers

Yes, that article was one of the reason to start discussion. But since in most of them decks aren't even tested well - so there is a question for people to give feedback about their tests.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

If Choke and REB are maindeckable in this warped meta, then Carpet of Flowers should be as well. Question is whether or not it's better than Choke against blue decks. Carpet is more pro-active while Choke is a lock-piece.

One problem I could see is your opponent sitting on fetches durdling while you get hardly anything out of it.

On a side note, I love the idea to abuse ramp to power out Titanias with KotR/Safekeeper/Karakas shenanigans.

Use it as a SB card to break the blue mirror. Especially with Stifle/Wasteland packages. Either you have insane ramp on them and a huge advantage or they have no mana and a huge disadvantage.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Sure opponent can seat on fetch to avoid ramping you - but he do it same vs deathrite shaman so I don't see much difference, except that Shaman can be bolted and Carpet gives 1+ mana - scaling for each land opponent controls.

@Barook Choke isn't great vs tempo decks - Carpet is.

I dont like it, its too weird for me! It might be good, but I dont see it right now...

Most threats in legacy are already very cheap, so you dont need to ramp more than 1 mana.
    You really want a mana sink, but you also dont want a mana sink because your opponent doest always play blue

Could be fun in elfball, on the draw play all 4 them and a lanowar elf then fizzel turn 2 because your hand is too empty^^

Its also kinda odd vs daze, now you have more mana to easily pay for it but your opponent can daze his only island after he played his delver; nah I dont know it might be good!

Maybe in a naya list, with this new guy Soulfire Grandmaster, now its really cool if you have tons of mana, but not the end of the world if you cant pull it off...

Meh, sorry for the weird post but this card is just sooo good and sooo bad -.-
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Zombie Elf Warrior
    Dec 2004
    seattle

I call that card "The ESG Special". He puts that in everything. Maindeck! The Seattle meta is super blue (aren't they all?) so the card is usually live.

(that's his deck in the article, btw)
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    was greg mitchells hair ever on camera?
    Elves Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/2EVsdw2

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

I think it would be nice to run as a 1-of maindeck, if there were any good ways to search it up. Would be nice to have a SFM-esque creature for enchantments, maybe for GG and without the vial effect.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I think it would be nice to run as a 1-of maindeck, if there were any good ways to search it up. Would be nice to have a SFM-esque creature for enchantments, maybe for GG and without the vial effect.
    Vial effect would be totally broken :P
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

I ran up against a carpet of flowers earlier this week in a deck that wouldn't usually have it - unfortunately I can't remember the deck but it wasn't any of the usual suspects.

Given how greedy my manabase was (100% duals/fetches), it was a real problem for me. I'd imagine as greedy as some of the manabases are getting that it'd be quite good in the meta. I ended up having to use my wear//tear that I'd been saving for some other threat I can't remember from the first game.

My post is very useful given my complete inability to remember things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Ive been quietly playing Carpet for months. Its good.

I wonder if there's a creature-based enchantment combo list out there yet with all the new adds in enchantment creatures? Would be a lot of fun to run Carpet of Flowers and Hidden Gibbons and Choke. Wouldn't even need Chalice of the Void to make blue very unhappy.

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

Tested little Carpet of Flowers in this list:

3 Abrupt Decay
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull
    1 Dryad Arbor
    4 Wasteland
    1 Karakas
    2 Bayou
    2 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    4 Windswept Heath
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Marsh Flats
    1 Dark Depths
    1 Thespian's Stage
    1 Forest
    1 Plains
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Carpet of Flowers
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    1 Primeval Titan
    SB: 1 Swords to Plowshares
    SB: 3 Ethersworn Canonist
    SB: 2 Zealous Persecution
    SB: 1 Bojuka Bog
    SB: 2 Engineered Explosives
    SB: 1 Zuran Orb
    SB: 1 Burrenton Forge-Tender
    SB: 1 Gaddock Teeg
    SB: 3 Deathrite Shaman

Its quite standard Maverick list with some changes:
    - mana dorks -> Carpet
    - Moms -> Torn of Amethyst (I wanted an other noncreature tax effect to gain more from Carpet) -I'm not sure cutting moms is best way but with so many -1/-1 effects around this decision was more meta-call then effectiveness in more diversity meta. Having 8 Taxing effects forces opponents to playing on more lands in play mean - you totally negate symmetry from taxing even on your own spells.
    - 1 Thread -> 1 overcosted Thread in this list its Primeval Titan which can assamble DD/TS combo.

I've been running a pair of them in my sideboard for 12Post to great success. They are mostly for Delver variants, since most of them rely on a mana denial plan and all of them are heavy blue (some where all color-producing lands are islands). For 12Post, it solves the problem of having early mana shortages and lets me maneuver early game, playing out cheap artifacts and Show and Tell, and even casting a Primeval Titan without many Cloudposts out.

Given its ease of play and ability to counteract Delver strategies, I wouldn't be surprised to see more Flowers show up at least in the sideboards of green decks. When Pyroblasts and REBs are making the cut maindeck, I see no reason why Carpet of Flowers can't make an impact.

Is Cancer

Jul 2014

It's nice that it pays for itself in a single turn (you get mana your second phase if you want) but my [limited] testing with it was mediocre. I simply didn't need it or the it didn't meet the mana-producing requirements. If it's in the side, you could've had real hate; if it's in the main your deck needs to be able to shrug off dead cards.

If you want it to dodge daze, you need two live mana and if you want it to dodge Pierce you need 3. If you're being controlled by 0-1 mana spells you'll need enough mana that you no longer need carpet I think. For Delver hate it might be pretty OK, but I can't see it much elsewhere unless you're running large bombs for miracles; but that should just be things like Choke in the first place (so you don't just lose.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

Thread Information